All Comments on 'I Knew What I Wanted'

by Just_Words

Sort by:
  • 89 Comments
Boyd PercyBoyd Percy8 months ago

She may have thrown away her husband but probably will find enough men to keep her well fed!

5

Avalon101Avalon1018 months ago

Nice short story, she made her choice of having lovers over married life and starting a family

johntcookseyjohntcooksey8 months ago

Her smug reductive descriptions and rationalizations fail to gloss over her regrets. Yet I sense, if I may extrapolate, that given the opportunity, she’s probably too selfish to ever set aside her own shallow needs. Like a hungry dog returning to its vomit. The message is all the more poignant as told from her POV. Deftly told tale. Thank you.

SplitGeode66SplitGeode668 months ago

I loved thus story, a different take on the "we need to talk" story. Skillfully done. 5 stars.

MattblackUKMattblackUK8 months ago

Takes ""We need to talk" to a next level.

TheKrrakTheKrrak8 months ago

I like it, it's honest about what really happens...

Oatmeal1969Oatmeal19698 months ago

is it worse to get what they want, or not realize what you have?

AccelarVesterAccelarVester8 months ago

A unique take on the story. Thanks.

The Style GuyThe Style Guy8 months ago

I always appreciate a slightly different perspective on a “tried and true” LW theme. No one does it better than Just_Words. 5* from me.

deadonedeadone8 months ago

Nice story, thank you.

Tiger27Tiger278 months ago

Sad, but true.

CumminginsiderherCumminginsiderher8 months ago

Boring and no substance. Just an "excerpt" of a story that has been done a thousand times on here.

WhyjustwhyWhyjustwhy8 months ago

she wanted meaningless sex, she got it. and the fool thought she would get it out of her system before kids haha, delusional thinking. after kids the itch returns and she goes slumming again. he was much better off ditching the slut before breeding with the cum trap.

LickideesplitLickideesplit8 months ago

‘Richard is a good man at heart, and he's not married, which I now see as a mark in his favor.’

‘It's HIM! Of all the times and all the places to run into him, he's here and he has his family with him.’

‘HIM’ is the only identifier We-The-Readers are provided for Sweetie’s Ex-Hubby.

‘She can't even remember her date's name, but decides it won't matter because he'll still fuck her regardless.’

Richard (despite Just_Words final sentence) is Sweetie’s date, whom she is mentally moving from ‘out-of town (Chicago) one-off-date/fuck-buddy’ to ‘potential-Hubby.’

4* -1* due to egregious identity fuckup.

Just_WordsJust_Words8 months agoAuthor

@ Lickideesplit - I think you are confused. Richards is only one character. He's her date. The husband is never named because he is more of a monumental figure who represents all that she lost. Anyway, that was the choice I made. She remembers her date's name. It's Richard, although he is not named until the end because he is just the latest in a long parade of men.

MormonJackMormonJack8 months ago

Excellent! A thoughtful view from the other side of "a life well lived."

I was glad that the ex didn't see the MC - or at least didn't appear to notice her. It made it seem like he had truly moved on and was focusing on what was important to him, his family.

5 stars for being so damn good at writing, including this one. Thank you!

oldpantythiefoldpantythief8 months ago

One of these days it may have to be pizza or hamburgers for her. Pussy may be pussy but if it's not packaged nicely, it's value goes way down. I didn't realize this has " been done a thousand times on here", guess I just never found one of them from this perspective. Whatever, I liked the story even though it's a bit sad for her. Glad her ex found someone that took her vowels seriously just to show there is life after divorce.

Vandemonium1Vandemonium18 months ago

Now that's how you write pathos. Well done, Sir.

MajorRewriteMajorRewrite8 months ago

Do real life wives ever tell their husbands, “I want to date other men”? I think not. It’s one of the weird things that only happen in Loving Wives stories.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Might want to try NOT writing from a female POV. You're not good at it.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

How long did it take you to write that, 5 minutes, 10? No one seems to want to make the effort to write a thoughtful, engrossing story anymore.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

You write well, but the shortness of the story didn't allow for any depth in the characters and I did not think it belonged in the LW section. I had no sympathy for her "regrets" and found no particular interest in them. It was just another woman (it could have been a man just as easily) that learned a harsh lesson in her self-indulgent life and was forced to move on regardless of her regrets. Maybe the cliche of "live and learn" applies, but in this instance it wasn't that interesting as a more detailed story would have been. Keep at it.

skruff101skruff1018 months ago

Always amuses me when the ‘forsaking all others’ gets rolled out, the usual response is like here “but it’s only sex, I’m not going to fall in love with them”, so what.

That particular vow is a specific and unequivocal promise given and received, how anyone with an IQ larger than their shoe size can misinterpret that oath to mean ‘but it’s ok to screw around with someone I don’t love’ has me chuckling.

BSreaderBSreader8 months ago
Another

Dumb wife who choose to destroy a good marriage.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Well written with a nice twist! 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

LenardSpencerLenardSpencer8 months ago

A simple "to the point" tale than is focused on the reality of consequences. Thank you for your tale. Cheers.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Methinks people, women or men, who can easily switch from loving partner to wanting to fill their base desires are people who are readily identifiable before they get involved long term. I would question whether it is a deep understanding of one's partner that got them to marriage or just carnal satisfaction or maybe aging insecurities or financial gain or plain stupidity.

In any event, these are just entertaining stories here and many times the reality is much more bizarre.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Story was very good. Telling me what I had just read unnecessary.

IrishLaddy59IrishLaddy598 months ago

This is a good story that serves as warning, people shouldn't marry until they have lived long enough to know themselves and have a value system. This lady learned it well after her first husband let her know she wasn't ready yet. In my experience early 30s is about right for dipping your toes in marriage pool. Good short story. I enjoyed it. Thank you.

All the best,

Dave

MightyHornyMightyHorny8 months ago

... Man, do I love stories with a happy ending!

Thanks for the share author.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Good story on one of the possible outcomes to this "We need to talk" scenario.

Corny1974Corny19748 months ago

Very well written, be careful what you wish for!

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Not bad at all. Good to see cheating skank slut in at least some amount of emotional pain.

neilnblowme2neilnblowme28 months ago

short and yet so so sweet

she finally realized that trying to whole menu tends to give you gas

5* a couple of hard ons and a tingling in my balls

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Another example of someone discarding 80% of what's good for the 20% they don't like. What a wasted set of characters.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Well written, thank you. Most of the stories I have read written from the cheating wife’s perspective are trying to justify their cheating. The sincere regret is refreshing.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

This story had 2 big things going for it: 1) it was set well after the consequences of a stupid MSR inspired proposal had occurred, so all the dust had settled so it was documented history, and 2) those consequences were illustrated from the MSR victim’s POV only. This combination of circumstances gave readers a really powerful appreciation for how her stupidity cost her….everything.

.

Really well put together flash tale, Just_Words. Superb.

.

5 *****

sbrooks103xsbrooks103x8 months ago

"We both slept with other people in college before we met." - They always forget the last part of this: "before we met."

\

What's with the summary left in at the end?

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Good. short but complete, great warning tale for those planning to have extramarital sex.

The_John_YossarianThe_John_Yossarian8 months ago

This is absolutely one of the cleverest, most well-written stories I've read in a long while. There was the playful comparison of men and dishes, but in doing so, you told the reader that she was so "experienced" as to be jaded yet very self-aware. That latter quality made her pain so much more real because she was starkly reminded of it. In the end, we see a regretful, sad woman who now keeps a tight reign on both her emotions and her hopes. This is worth more than 5 stars!

ribnitinribnitin8 months ago

A different point of view on a common story. Nice.

silentsoundsilentsound8 months ago

Very well written short.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

"Perhaps, maybe someday I will try the whole marriage thing again"

But, she's still content to ride the "dick" carousel for now and the foreseeable future. Just another remorseless, self-entitled person. Good luck with that when the looks start to fade.

Mac_LapuMac_Lapu8 months ago

good quality

but I do think not a complete story...

perhaps it wasn't meant to be

still the feeling of that there should be more lingers...

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

JW delivers yet again! It's brevity made it an all the more brilliantly executed comedown from a smug self satisfied ogre who barely acknowledged the men she bedded as human to a hollow, regretful shell of a woman hardly able to fathom out how it all went wrong for her and apparently oblivious to the fact that always putting herself and her own wants and desires first was what led her to this dark and lonely place. Five stars!

LJA644LJA6448 months ago

Nice, I liked the story from the other side.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

A well done reality check. Not enough drama, suspense, or imagination to garner a 5, but a decent version of how finding out the greener grass just turns to weeds over time.

DaddyWarBucksDaddyWarBucks8 months ago

Just wish it could work that way.

Just_WordsJust_Words8 months agoAuthor

Shoot! I left those notes in at the end. I didn't see that in my final review of the story. I'll fix that as soon as I figure out how to submit a revision.

LickideesplitLickideesplit8 months ago

J_W Now your comment about fixing the name oversight has no bones!

Fix it and I’ll change my score.

Just_WordsJust_Words8 months agoAuthor

@ Lickideesplit - Now I see where your comment came from. I have submitted the revision. It will probably take a few days. I've worried about doing that before, but this is the first time it happened. Very embarrassing.

lover1953lover19538 months ago

Liked it. 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Good story and works whether it is her or him!

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Thanks for explaining it all at the end, I would have had ni idea what was going on otherwise...

012Say012Say8 months ago

Well done. With storie that have been told many times, this is a great approach. We didn’t need the whole tale, just the part fro which you make your point. 5

Wandering_MongolWandering_Mongol8 months ago

I enjoyed this, thank you!

-

I liked how you portrayed the MC's regret when presented with the existing possibility of what could have been. That was strengthened by the MC's ex not noticing her, either by chance, or the hinted at happiness he was living in, with his wife and daughter present. Definitely a burn there. Well done.

-

The menu parallel was interesting. You've got an idea stirring in my head now.

-

Be well!

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Woman can easily get sex. Those who restrict themselves for being greedy are the pure souls.

WhackdoodleWhackdoodle8 months ago

Well done.

Life goes after a divorce. Sometimes you get a second chance and sometimes you don’t; but we move on and this story encapsulated it perfectly.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

A good idea, liked the menu comparison, and good effort on the wife's POV, but feels like it was mailed in. Not enough spices in the sauce. 4*

tralan69ertralan69er8 months ago

I think it is a good story. A view we don't often if ever read about.

Keep writing and thank you.

Another good thing is only 2 out of the 17 commenters didn't get the story.

SyzyguySyzyguy8 months ago

5* very effective, you tell a good tale without saying more than is needed. Thank you.

FD45FD458 months ago

Do women like this actually exist?

/

Seems like overwrought fear.

/

Real women will just go behind your back and cheat

spence5969spence59698 months ago

Interesting perspective, with a touch of humor with the food/men menu at the beginning. Very pithy and heartfelt.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

That's what happens when a brainless person believe to those ridiculous (but dangerous) proclaims about the so called "new modern lifestyle", and put its brain between its legs. It's just a matter of values and priorities, but no one can have it all: it's either marriage+family or free-sex-life. And, once again, this tale shows that to reach a good 4*+ rating, a tale doesn't need to have multiple pages filled with fetish fantasies (that almost always lead to a very low rating under the 3*). Good and balanced tale.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Good luck to Richard, her latest lover, as a possible candidate as her future husband. With a brainless whore, with just the sex in her brain, like the MC, the unfortunate husband would be going to pay very dearly, since a marriage built on those basis would certainly be very much unstable and wouldn't last too much. All in all a realistic fem POV, in which the MC honestly starts to question herself if the sex-centered life she was following, were the best choice. Maybe there is a little space for a followup, in which her brain suddenly starts to work in the right direction.

OnlyInMyMindOnlyInMyMind8 months ago

Insightful. Very good

Just_WordsJust_Words8 months agoAuthor

For those who ask if there are really women like this, I can tell you that there are husbands like this because I have a friend who finally divorced her husband because of this behavior. I have to believe that if there are men who do it, there must be women who do it, too. Thankfully, I don't know them (or at least I don't know that I know them).

Huedogg2Huedogg28 months ago

She got it all….divorce is what she asked for

Dylan1Dylan18 months ago

I loved this. She is a lonely soul and you told of her loneliness perfectly with not too much dramatisation. There are many men and women out there like this who realise too late what they had. Beautiful writing, five easy stars. 🍻

26thNC26thNC8 months ago

The usual excellence from J_W. The honey we need to talk story from the other side of the table. It still ends the same way for the cheating wife. A solitary life filled with meaningless sex and regret. The husband finds a loving wife, has children and a fulfilling life. Another woman does the FAFO boogie and finds out that the cheap sex wasn’t worth the loss of her marriage. Great story with an easy *5.

Calico75Calico758 months ago

Glad to see a new story by this author. Very good.

lAnatomistelAnatomiste8 months ago

I must disagree with Mac_Lapu.

This was, in fact, complete. It showcased, as Anonymous pointed out, the sense of loss and disappointment contrasted with what might (should!) have been.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

You said it was from the ex-wife's side of the story but it could easily be from the husband who likes to go back to his "sowing his wild oats" day.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

It looks like its just starting to sink in that the guys don't care about anything more than getting her in the sack and that she cares about them the same way. Is there a way out? Yes, but what that ends up being depends on how little she is willing to settle for. 5 stars for this tale of regret.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Wonderful, 10 stars. The slut thought she could have her cake and eat it, but she got hers, basically lonely, but her pussy gets peed in. Her ex got his, too, a loving wife and family... The whore fixed her own ass!

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Wonderfully written story. Goes to show that men aren't the only part of the species that think with other parts of their body other than their brain.

5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.........

Don't ever get married again. Please, please never reproduce and pass on your genes. Let the the shallow, selfish and morally corrupt bloodline end with you.

Thanks in advance

fritz51fritz518 months ago

Touched all of the bases for me. 5 *s

secretsalsecretsal8 months ago

Great writing, doesn't feel like a word wasted, and still more memorable with one page than many other multi-chapter opuses. All that while dealing with cliched theme, too.

bruce1971bruce19718 months ago

Outstanding! I have to agree with Secretsal--not a word was wasted. The menu/dating roster was a great technique--kept the story flowing at a good clip, only to have it pull up short when she sees her ex across the room. You don't see a lot of writers thinking about rhythm, but it's an integral part of this story, and is REALLY well done.

oldmanbill69oldmanbill698 months ago

Words with REAL meaning!

parenthesisparenthesis8 months ago

Thanks I enjoyed this.

nixroxnixrox7 months ago

5 stars - she got exactly what she wanted, WITHOUT the hindrance of a marriage.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

She got what she thought she wanted. Then found out it wasn't like that at all and in fact ended up with very little. As they sat be careful what you wish for..... BardnotBard

H. JekyllH. Jekyll18 days ago

I know I've read this before. And I've rated it before (a 5). I don't recall if I've commented. It's a wonderful little story, very well told and very well written, not overblown on the emotions, but with a powerful undercurrent. The author takes great notice of woman's faces, eyes, movements. Jesus, I thought that was grand! (Not even to mention the food). A story I've read twice now and will likely read again, not like most of the -- oh -- forgettable pieces hereabouts.

Just_WordsJust_Words18 days agoAuthor

@ H. Jekyll - Thank you. You are very kind. I find I wonder what goes through the mind of someone who loses it all because of their own unkind actions. (Some would say "A bullet!", but we both know that's not a good idea.) I think what they say about living well is probably true.

26thNC26thNC17 days ago

Reading this great story again. Just_Words’ stories are like peanuts to me. I read one, and I just want one for, and on and on. Love this story about a delusional cheating wife that lost the only meaningful relationship she will ever have.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userJust_Words@Just_Words
I suppose I write for many of the same reasons that others do. First, I am exorcising my demons. I use writing to explore my thoughts and emotions, sometimes embracing, and perhaps ridding myself of, my darker thoughts and sometimes finding happier themes to celebrate. It s...