Isabel, The Beauty Next Door Pt. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I understand that mistakes get made, but I marked the display with my name."

"Yes, I noticed that after the fact. Again I can only apologize," Mr. Smithe takes a deep breath. "James, it's not often I give out such praise, but your work is way above any standard. Good work, and we will be putting your model in the display cabinet."

I leave the office feeling that I had my say and that it wouldn't happen again. I am also pleased with the praise, but wonder if I would have got it even if Mr. Smithe hadn't made a mistake.

We fall back into our routine very quickly. Isabel seems much more relaxed, and I see the return of her smile that I love. She's once again enjoying her experience. The asshole that was making her uncomfortable seems to have his eyes in a new direction.

The one change I have noticed is that Isabel's friends seem to come around our place to do their work now instead of the library. I usually have my work to do, so I disappear into the spare room.

Life ticks by, and the next item on the calendar is the presentation in Dubai. Drew wants me to come along, but this would disrupt my University work, and I have a review in several subjects, so she's going with her dad. They will arrange a live feed, so I can watch and help with any questions Drew struggles to answer.

It's Monday morning early. The five-hour time difference between the UK and Dubai means I'm sitting at my computer at five in the morning waiting for Drew to initiate the conference call. My screen lights up, and I am transported into a conference room about three and a half thousand miles away. Andrew is standing at the front of the conference room, and there is a giant television screen with a computer image of the tower block.

"Good morning, gentlemen, my name is Andrew Sampford, and this is my daughter Drew Sampford. On the computer is our future head of development, Mr. James Stokes. Right up front, I would like to tell you that James is currently doing his degree in design and structural engineering at Cambridge University. We have included him in this because he has been a significant contributor to many aspects of this design and will be able to answer any questions that we cannot." Andrew walks over to the laptop to pick up the remote control.

"Excuse me, Mr. Sampford," one of the men around the table says. "Is this building a theoretical possibility, or can you actually build it?"

"When designing a building, we initially do all design using the Kenzie CAD programming system. This enables us to build a mathematically sound structure. We can change the parameters to suit your specifications. Once a structure has been designed, we give it to a second team of designers. They run the numbers in a separate simulator that works differently from the first. Once we get a thumbs up from the second team, we submit our first design."

"So your first design was structurally sound?"

"Yes, our first design was a viable build. We have added the modifications you requested from the initial inquiry and have tested the new structure the same way."

The man nodded his appreciation and added, "Sorry to question you about this. Out of the initial companies that got to the second stage, only two were able to submit a viable build."

"That's no problem. We are always happy to clarify anything." Andrew walks back to the other side of the large screen. "We have done two computer simulations for you. The first is a walk-through, and the second is a floor-by-floor build, so you will see how the building is put together."

Andrew runs through both programs that I am so used to seeing. The way we've made a split-level reception area, gives an illusion of space that is breathtaking, even on the computer. Once inside, the projection provides a very lifelike look to what a person will experience upon entering the building. As it rolls up the sweeping staircase to the seating area, I see a number of the clients nudging the person next to them and pointing out different details that catch their eye.

One of the features they had requested was a restaurant on the top floor with a viewing platform giving a view out into the harbor, and when the lift opens onto the top floor, there's an audible buzz in the room. Drew even looks at me and raises her eyebrows, surprised at the response.

The first presentation is over. Andrew turns back to his audience. "Do we have any questions at this point?"

A hand goes up, and Andrew looks over at the man. "Many other candidates have four, or more, less floors than you. How do you compensate for the extra height?"

"Maybe we will ask my daughter to review her initial ideas and how she got around your design stipulations."

Drew stands and walks to the front. She restarts the walk-through and pauses as we walk into the reception area. "Our biggest challenge to this building was giving a spacious reception area with a garden. James was the brains behind the split-level reception area, offering more space for just about everything. This consists of a two-floor car parking area below as well as a larger foundational footprint. Because of the four external pillars that sit on bedrock, we increased the structural load by twenty-two percent."

There were a lot of raised eyebrows and nodding of heads. "But you've only increased the height of the building by ten percent."

"Yes, the building regulations for that site only allow us what we have provided." More murmuring and notes are being taken as Drew retook her seat. The conference goes on through costings and time scales. Luckily nothing comes up that needs me to answer, but I saw firsthand how the presentation process worked.

The meeting lasts two hours, and at the end, Drew turns to the screen and gives me an excited smile. She waves goodbye and shuts the connection down. I sit for a while, absorbing what had just happened and how Andrew had introduced me.

******

As the year progresses, Isabel's and my workload increases. We spend more of our spare time reviewing our coursework and working through any projects or papers that need handing in. Isabel is much like me, very organized and ahead of where she needs to be. Each section of her law degree is split into what's known as Papers. We are both focused on getting through the end of our first year.

Before we know it, the deadlines for all papers and projects to be handed in has arrived. Isabel and I are also in full revision mode for the number of exams we have to take. We haven't had much time together during the week, but we always make time for each other either Saturday or Sunday. We generally go with Isabel's timetable because I am more flexible, with most of my work either on the computer or being built in the spare room.

I feel quite relaxed, all my assignments have been handed in, and I am quietly confident with the exams that I will sit through during the week.

Isabel is equally confident. She has way more to do than me, but from what she says when we sit down and talk or from the conversation we have just before we fall asleep after making love. She seems confident within herself that she has everything covered.

I seem to float through the week, just doing what has been set in front of me, and before I know it, we have packed up the car and are heading south. We will be picking up Isabel's Gran on the way. She's spending the summer in Devon.

Most of my summer is spent working on my computer or with Isabel. We go to the beach and hang out in The Thatch. On occasion, we go down to Exeter. Both Isabel and I spend time in Sampson Harris. I think Isabel is using it as work experience, and working out what she wants to do. I on the other hand have attended the progress meetings. There's also the chance to catch up with Drew, who has a new boyfriend.

We stay an extra day so that we can go to dinner with them. Isabel and I are running late because the taxi didn't turn up.

As we walk into the restaurant, Isabel whispers in my ear. "I need to pee."

The ladies are not far from the entrance, so I point the way. I talk to the waitress at the door but spot Drew straight away and make my way over.

Drew's face lights up when she sees me walking over. "Hi Drew, sorry we are late. The taxi didn't turn up, so we had to order a second."

"Don't worry about it, Jay. Where's Isabel?"

"She needed to use the ladies...." I look across at the guy sitting quietly.

"Sorry, Jay. This is my boyfriend, Lewis...Lewis, this is the one and only, James Stokes."

I reach across the table and offer my hand. "Nice to meet you, Lewis. Most people including your girlfriend call me Jay though"

"Likewise," he says. "It's good to finally put a face to a name I hear more than most."

"Oh yeah," I say, sitting down. "Talk about me all the time, do you, Drew?" She shifts a little uncomfortably. "Nothing good, I hope," I add.

I see they have already ordered drinks, so I get the attention of a passing staff member and order a drink for Isabel and me.

Lewis seems a little tense, and I quickly realize the need for this dinner. I see Lewis's eyes widen, and I turn in the direction he is looking.

As I thought, Isabel is making her way over, so I stand and pull her chair out for her. "Hey, Iz, is everything alright?" She gives me a smile and nods.

"Lewis, this is Isabel. James's long-term girlfriend," Drew says, trying to nail the point.

"A pleasure to meet you, Lewis. It's about time Drew found a man. I was beginning to think that I would have to help." Drew gives an awkward laugh.

"It wasn't that bad. Anyway, I've been way too busy with work."

"You know what they say, all work and no play......" Isabel beams across the table.

"Talking of work, have you decided what area of law you want to specialize in?"

"Not really, there are a number that interest me, but I am no further forward in deciding."

"Why don't you ring Jessica for advice? She's always come across as a straight-talking person."

Isabel thinks, "Actually; I might pop in for another chat before we go home. Thanks for that, Drew."

I can now see that Lewis has relaxed and realizes that any worry about me has been misplaced. The meal goes well, and it looks like we have made a new friend.

Isabel turns to me as we get in the taxi. "You know something. I sometimes wish people have the same confidence we have in our relationship."

"Mmmm, it would make life so much simpler. The thing is, so many people have had bad experiences. We are lucky. For some reason, the powers that be have seen fit to help us find each other." I look into the pair of loving eyes.

Just before our lips touch, Isabel says in a low voice. "I like to think that we were destined to be......" She doesn't get a chance to finish her sentence as our love bubbles over.

We don't often make love in Sam's place, but Isabel and I both feel the need to be that little more together tonight. We do the same as we did in Isabel's Gran's house.

Time always flies when you're having fun, and September is upon us in what seems like a blink of an eye. Mid-September is a great time to be in North Devon. The end of summer is always marked by Barnstaple Carnival and the arrival of the fair.

This also marks the time when we will be returning to Cambridge, sooner rather than later.

Life is looking and feeling good for both Isabel and myself as we start preparing for our second year.

The only real problem has been solved and Isabel has finally decided what she's doing for her degree and has given Sampson Harris first refusal on taking her on.

Our stop off at the office, before going home with Jessica, was more inspirational than even Isabel could ever have imagined. Afterwards we spend many hours discussing her options. I say talk, but Isabel uses me as a sounding board, and often once she hears her argument out loud, she makes a decision.

******

You don't know how much you miss a place until you return, and our flat in Cambridge is no exception.

Isabel, with help from Jessica, has decided to split her specialty between three areas, Industrial, Business, and Construction law. Jessica outlined what the company could offer her and that tipped the balance.

This focused her mind and I can only marvel at her drive as her dream takes shape. We quickly get back into the stride of things, and the months seem to go even quicker. My week is quite full between classes and keeping myself fit with Kendo, and with the university having a great gym and pool, I take full advantage.

Sam and Hannah come down to visit when they can. On occasion Sam comes on her own, but she's always welcome. Isabel seems to enjoy Sam being around as much as I do.

Isabel and I are always careful to spend our free time, that fits in with each other's timetables, together. We make time to spend together because it is so easy to lose yourself in life at university.

The second year flies by much like the first. Both Isabel and I are focused on our courses. It always amazes me how well we've got on. They only time we have ever raised our voices is just before my accident.

Christmas was almost a copy of the year before, but we managed to avoid our trip to Plymouth this year. Isabel signs her contract of employment, and we spend a week in Exeter, before going home. Our love has grown stronger and our friendship closer. We share everything. Life couldn't be better.

We won the Dubai contract. Work starts early next year. If everything goes to plan, Dubai will be my first sign off.

We have accumulated a circle of friends. All couples from either my course or from Isabel's.

Before we know it, the time of year when papers have to be handed in and designs have to be submitted with working model. Again Isabel and I are confident with what we have done. We are both very alike when it comes to work and the way we take pride in what we do.

This summer, we have booked a couple of weeks away in Greece. Sun, sea, sand and plenty of sex. It's something Isabel and I have planned. We need a couple of weeks to relax and unwind.

The hotel was recommended by Drew, she's with a guy called Evan. Not sure what happened to whatever his name was, but he had real trust issues. I think we will be meeting this Evan sometime during the summer.

That's it, the end of our second year. We fly out from Stansted in three days. We will stay at Grans until we leave. We are all smiles as we make our way south.

Once again, the summer goes past way too fast and before we know it we are counting down the days and not weeks before we return to University.

The holiday was just what the doctor ordered and both Isabel and I returned tanned and refreshed.

******

We return to University for the all important last year.

We get straight back into our stride and focus on what work we have been given. By the third year, there's no orientation, it's straight in at the deep end.

Isabel has made her choice and will join Sampson and Harris. She will sign her first contract when we visit at Christmas. In the end it was a no-brainer for her. She seems very happy with her choice and seems to have relaxed a little more.

Christmas is upon us again. This year we spend a little longer in Exeter. Isabel signs her first contract and spends time getting first hand experience. I,on the other hand, spend a lot of time with Drew in the hub. Although we have got the Dubai contract, work doesn't end there for the design team. Once the contract is signed, we have to then set about adding all the technical detail, like electrics and plumbing.

Christmas is another good one. Brady has picked up an injury and has brought a girl home for the first time. He is now a starting regular and there is talk that a couple premiership sides are scouting him.

Time is flying as we return to university after the holiday ready for our final push.

It's the beginning of February, and Mr. Smithe asks me to wait behind. When the last student leaves, he shuts the door, gets his phone out, and calls Edward.

For a moment, I worry. "Hello Edward, I have James here."

"Hi, Smithy, can you put me on speaker?"

The Professor puts his phone on the desk and puts it on speaker. "Okay, Edward."

"Right, James, as you know, we have been setting you a few tasks so far, but a unique opportunity has arisen that Mr. Smithe, Andrew, and myself think is too good an opportunity to miss. A large company in the US called C&W is looking to extend its HQ in Charlestown. What makes this difficult is that the building they want to develop is a listed building, and with all the city planning laws, the only way is up." He lets it sink in for a moment. "So, what do you think?"

"Did you say C&W?"

"Yes. Why have you heard of them?"

"Do you remember my concept from college about solar panel windows?"

"Yes, I still don't think it's possible."

"C&G is the company that has the technology to make that possible. I spent six months trying to get someone to help me with limited success."

"Really?"

"Yes, but the place I was trying to contact was in Silicon Valley, not Charleston. Anyway, if you can send me all the information, I can make a start. Is there anything else?"

"Yes, Andrew will be up to give a lecture in three weeks. If you can run him through your initial ideas and bounce any questions, he also wants to update you on Dubai before construction starts."

"Okay, that's something to look forward to. Am I going to his lecture?"

"It's for third years, so you will be there as part of your studies."

"Brilliant, thanks Edward. When will I see you next?"

"I'm not sure, June or July I expect."

"Okay, see you around." I get my bag and make my way to practice my Kendo.

As soon as I get back to the flat, I spark the computer into life and find the download that Edward sent. I go through all the information and then google the building in Charlestown. The building is an old building with a Deco theme. According to the guide, it is one of the oldest standing buildings in the city and has a preservation order.

"Shit, thanks, guys. This is the tough one," I say to myself. Then it occurs to me that I could use the same technology and structural plan we used for the Dubai building. This would be much simpler because we have a larger footprint.

I spend the next couple of hours reviewing the original blueprints with the package C&W sent out. The original building is built around equally spaced hollow columns, giving it a vaulted look and lending to the art-deco theme. What catches my eye is the car park around the side and back. This isn't on the original plan, and I only find it when I do a drive by on Google Maps. This gives me an idea because one of the criteria is to increase parking.

Around seven, I hear the front door open and close. I get up from the computer and walk out of the spare room. "Hey beautiful, how's your day been?"

"Exhausting. Would you like to share a bath?"

"Is the Pope Catholic?" Isabel smiles at me and walks over for a 'hello, I'm home' hug. I wrap my arms around her and pull her in. "Mmmmmm, always the best way to say 'hi.' Did you forget the chips?"

"Oh shhhhhoot," Isabel says. "Sorry totally forgot."

"It's okay. I'll get something delivered." We kiss for a while as we move into the bedroom, stripping each other as we move across the room. Isabel falls back onto the bed, giving me a full view of her shaven pussy.

Kneeling between her legs, I waste no time feasting on her. A loud groan escapes her mouth as I press my tongue deep inside her. "Oh fuck, I've needed this all day," she groans. I feel her fingers run through my hair as she takes hold of my head to keep it there, I'm not sure why, because I ain't going anywhere.

Reaching around Isabel's thigh, I bring my thumb down onto her clit. The reaction is instant as I start circling, ensuring I wet it each time it comes close to my tongue. I sense Isabel is getting close, so I ease off a little. "You bastard," she says under her shortened breath.