Isabel, The Beauty Next Door Pt. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Thank you," Olivia says. "My name is Olivia Jackson. I am Mr. Carter's personal affairs director. To my left is the architect, Mr. James Stokes, and to my right is Miss Isabel Richards. Miss Richards is Sampson and Harris's overseas lawyer. Although not here in an official role, Isabel has been here through the entire planning stage and is my legal assistant. The young lady at the back is my personal assistant, Amelia Havenar. She will take notes and produce anything you need to see."

"Thank you, Mrs. Jackson. Before we start, I would like to congratulate Mr. Stokes for producing a very clear document." I nod my appreciation. "Also, do I understand right that Mr Stokes is this year's recipient of the Architects Guild's gold medal?"

"Yes, Olivia says. Mr. Stokes is possibly the best architect of his generation." My eyes widen at the accolade she's given me, and I turn a deep shade of red.

"No need to be embarrassed about your obvious ability, Mr. Stokes. Now, we have gone over your proposal, and we do have several concerns. First would be the disruption caused by the proposed digging up of Second and Fifth."

I clear my throat. "Mr. Rutlidge. We believe that one day in the not-so-distant future, you will have to close the road and repair it yourself at a great cost to this fair city's taxpayers. We estimate it will cost around four hundred thousand dollars by the time the city gets around to fixing the problem. That is if it hasn't done more damage than it already has. As part of the build, we propose channelling the water to the city storm drains system at no cost to the taxpayer."

"What's in it for you?" He says very pointedly. This guy is not stupid.

"We're not here to yank your chain, sir. If we can deal with the water problem, we can excavate and remove a large amount of material from that side of the building simultaneously. We have looked through your city archive and found that a similar problem caused the closure of Tenth and Main for three months back in 2003. We propose that we will be done in around two months."

The planners look at each other and make notes. "Second on our list is all the improvements you have listed. How many are certain to happen?"

Olivia stands. "All of them. We will develop the site as listed. C&W is one of the oldest family-run businesses in Charleston. If you look at any of the companies, you will see similar initiatives being implemented now. Mr. Carter is just bringing this building into line with the rest. Also, with the expansion of the group up until today, and the projected growth, we think the Charleston site should be expanded once and preserved for future generations."

"That's all very nice, Mrs. Jackson, but what use does C&W need with a conference room of the size planned? The new employee's facilities including a gym, a child care facility, and the canteen. It all seems a bit of a utopia."

"With all due respect, sir, I think you are a little blinkered. C&W is at the beginning of a huge expansion. I was down at one of their factories where we have developed a window that doubles as a solar panel. This building will be the first building in the world to have such a feature. My initial projection was that these windows would produce around 15% of the building's daily needs. After the tests that we did on the prototype, I will have to change that projection to over 20%. Do you realise what that would mean for the expansion of C&G if just all new builds were fitted with this glass? We are looking to open at least four new factories. One of them has been pencilled in for the Charleston area."

"James, that is just an idea at the moment," Olivia says.

"Sorry, Olivia, but Mr Rutlidge asked what was in it for C&W. If we can show the world what this glass can do, it will make billions. As for utopian, I think you will find that the C&W group has the lowest turnover of employees in the country because they treat their employees right. They are at the forefront of employees' benefits and keeping them happy."

Mr. Rutlidge adjusts his tie and coughs. "Finally, our last concern is the facade. Will the outside look different?"

"Yes, it will look different in size. The building will not change, except the windows will have a slight tint. As for the extension, that will look exactly like the original building. You will finish with a building twice as impressive as the one that stands on the site today." I open my laptop, turn it toward the three building officers, and press play. Their eyes are drawn to my computer graphic of the outside as if a drone was going around the building. Their eyes light up as the drone pulls away, and the entire structure comes into focus. Today's building is beautiful, but if you let us do the expansion we need, it will become world-class. No more words are necessary as I close my laptop.

Timetables, costs, projections, logistics, and the drilling take the rest of the time. When we finished, the looks on the planners' faces couldn't hide their satisfaction. Mr. Rutlidge adds as we are packing. "This is off the record, but you can tell Mac that planning will be approved. Don't be surprised if the city develops a new initiative to help with the build and be involved. Christ, anyone linked to this can write their political ticket if half of what you have stated comes through. This building will make history."

"Sir, does that mean I can draw the final draft of the plan to be presented shortly after you have given us planning consent?"

"If you don't change anything, yes. If everything that is listed stays the same."

"The facility will stay the same. I will need to make some plan adjustments for air-con consideration, and I've been asked at the last minute to put a larger bathroom on the top floor where the new Boardroom is situated. The layout might be slightly adjusted, but the plumbing remains unchanged. Just a slight beefing-up of the capacity."

"Minor and I reiterate, minor, changes will be fine as long as you list them, so there are no surprises. If you email me the changes before, I will be more than happy to confirm before you submit the final plan," Mr. Rutlidge says.

"Sir, that's highly irregular," Ruth Maine says, looking to the left. "We don't want to be seen favouring the large corporations."

"Thank you for your concern, Mrs. Maine, but anything that makes my job easier in the long run can't hurt." He looks at me with an almost apologetic smile. "I think Mr Stokes here will be true to his word, and nothing will come back to bite him."

"Mr. Rutlidge, you will find the integrity of Mr. Stokes' word something you can rely on. I should know, as I'm going to be married to him," Isabel says. She smiles and puts the papers back in her bag.

"Right, I guess that's as good a place to stop as any," Mr. Rutlidge says. "I look forward to seeing the final plan, Mr. Stokes." He gets up and shakes our hands, and we leave.

We walk out of the planning office on cloud nine. "Christ, I need a drink," Olivia says.

We land back at the ranch around eight in the evening. The sun was just setting, and the pilot was keen to get back in the air and home. Mac is there to meet us, and it's obvious that Olivia has kept him in the dark about how the meeting went.

******

We stay on the ranch for another few weeks. I mix my time from finishing my final draft, to riding and enjoying what the area has to offer. I've never been a person to be stuck indoors and I enjoy the peace that being out in mother nature gives me. I still have that low feeling, and the good Dr. Hamley comes to see me once a week, and I have to admit he has a way of making me see things differently.

The house has pretty much emptied, the only person who remains is Susan. Everyone else has work commitments or things to do at home that can't be altered.

It's Isabel's and my last week, and Mac comes out and sits next to me on the veranda. "Jay, have we got all the electrical and plumbing works back from England?"

"Yes, I've finished everything, but you know me, I like to tinker," I say.

"Yeah, but it will be done by the time you leave?"

"Yes, you could have it now if you want it. I'm getting ready to send Mr. Rutlidge a copy in the morning."

Mac takes a deep breath. "There's one other thing. Please don't tell anyone off the ranch, but Miley is flying in tomorrow morning. From what she said on the phone, she's here for peace and quiet."

"Oh, right. It's your place, mate. I will respect her space. Are we still on for a trip up to the reserve?"

"Yeah, I can't see why not. We will play it by ear though. I've got a developer coming sometime this week and we're going to add a couple of things."

"Emma said something about a swimming pool and recreation centre. Are you thinking about putting some sort of studio in?"

"That was one of the ideas. It's all just ideas though."

"Where are you thinking of putting it?"

"I was hoping you could come up with something," he says. "I don't want to change the original house much, and there's a lot of empty buildings now the riding school is being relocated."

"Come on," I say, getting up. "Show me what we have to play with, and I'll whip something up before I leave. How does that sound?"

We walk around discussing things that he has in mind. I put a couple of suggestions forward, which starts Mac's grey matter working.

After we are shown the Visitors Center up on the reserve, the next couple of days go by in a fog. I sent the outline plans, including the electric and plumbing, from Exeter to Mr Rutlidge, and he rang me the next day to confirm that all the changes were complete. He's surprised there's so little difference and confirms that he will be recommending the build be passed.

Mac was ecstatic about the planning, and when I gave him the outline drawing of the changes we discussed, he had to show them straight to Paps because he couldn't believe what I had come up with. Emma was amazed with what I had created in such a short time. If they only knew some of the software shortcuts.

Looking at the ranch from the air, you can see the buildings that are off to the right form a perfect L-shaped area. You've got to love Google Earth. I propose that we can create a leisure area in that space. This would incorporate the swimming pool, an outside kitchen with barbeque, a bar for entertaining, and a recording studio, with extra rooms for guests or visitors who are here for a riding holiday. It will also give you an enclosed area that, in theory, could have a retractable roof. That would double the development cost but make it usable all year round.

"Jay, I know you were going to stay for another couple of weeks, but now that you have been cleared, Dr. Hamly thinks it would be good for you to go home. Mate, you have saved my life, and it's killing me to sit and watch you struggle with your conscience. You did the right thing but can't forgive yourself for taking a life. I understand and respect you more for feeling this, but given the alternative, it is the only conclusion I could live with." Mac puts his arm around me. "Jay, go home and fix yourself. Learn to live with your decision, return to us, and finish what we've started."

I take a deep breath and look out toward a distant rainstorm. The beauty here is incredible, but I know that I want to go home. "Okay," I say. "When can we leave?" I say, feeling the emotions churning in my stomach.

Mac gets his phone out. "Olivia, can we get two first-class tickets to the UK, please?"

"Is it free?...... Well, in that case, do that. When?" Mac listens for a moment and then puts his phone away. "The helicopter will be here tomorrow evening. You can fly back overnight tomorrow."

"You know, although what happened, coming here has been the most amazing experience. Thanks, Mac. You are a good friend."

"And you, my friend, are always welcome here. Look on the bright side. Miley will be here this evening, so you will still meet her."

I laugh. "I can't wait, mate."

"Mac, the builder is here," one of the armed guards shouts.

"Okay, Den. Come on, Jay, you have one last task to do." We jump down from the fence and walk toward the house. As usual, Susan's sat on the veranda, enjoying the morning sun as we walked past. "Susan, are we still on for our trip into town later?"

"You bet I am; I wouldn't miss time with you, Mac," she shoots back with a contented smile.

We walk in, and a middle-aged guy with a big belly stands as we enter the first reception room. "Good morning, Mac. I was pleased when my secretary said that Olivia had phoned her."

"Morning, Stan. Thanks for coming out on short notice...This is my good friend and architect, James Stokes," Mac says, introducing me.

"Howdy, James," Stan says, extending his hand. "Meeting the guy that saved Mac's life is an honour."

"Good to meet you, Stan. I can't say I am as thrilled about taking a man's life."

"Sorry, son, but it had to be done, and I'd put a million bucks on the fact you wouldn't hesitate to do it again."

I look at him, surprised by his words. I can't deny it because, in my mind, I was protecting Isabel. I finally conceded that if it happened again, I wouldn't think twice about acting again. As the Sheriff said earlier, I used deadly force against deadly force.

"Stan, if you can follow us to the office, I want to go through my ideas for the house."

"What, this house?" He asks, a little shocked.

"Yes, Stan, this house. There are a couple of additions I would like."

We get into the office, and I get my computer out and show Stan the basic plans. I run through the two ideas and ask him how possible the removable roof idea is.

He makes notes and takes a copy of the drawings, and we then go outside for him to see the area. I have designed it so you can access it from the family room. This will be the house's main alteration and means the entire outside wall will be removed. The family room entrance will be opened to make everything more accessible.

He thinks that if Mac wants a roof on the space, we will need to rebuild the outside buildings because the foundation won't take the weight of the roof, but I had warned Mac of that before we started.

Isabel is excited that we will be leaving tomorrow. She phones Sam straight away, and I can hear Sam's screams from the other side of the room. Sam has been a busy girl getting both houses ready to live in. My dad has worked miracles, renovating the homes inside and out. I haven't had much to do with the interior. Isabel and Sam have chosen the decor and colour schemes. Sam's need for office space was, in the end, the easiest part. The main feature was already there; it just needed finishing and Sam-y-fying.

The sun had just set, and we heard the helicopter circle the ranch. "Miley's here," Isabel shouts as she returns to the house.

I pat Farrow's head. "Am I meant to be excited, boy," I say. Farrow moves his head up and down vigorously. I laugh, "Mac's right, you're brighter than half the human population."

I watch as the helicopter lands and Miley Cyrus gets out. Mac greets her like an old friend with a hug; Emma moves in for her hug as Mac walks over to help the pilot with Miley's bags.

I take a deep breath and walk towards the house as the truck roars into life. Stopping as the truck pulls up in front of me, Emma jumps out and takes Miley by the hand to introduce her to everyone.

"Want a hand with the bags?" I ask Mac.

"Yeah, grab those two and follow me up to the room opposite yours," he says. "Not a Miley fan, then," Mac says, then disappears into the house with the first two bags. I smile and reach into the open boot, or should I call it trunk? I shake my head as my mind wonders.

As I walk back down the stairs, Violet shouts, "Supper, Jay."

"Cheers, Violet," I say to the lady smiling up at me.

"I hea yo all off tomorrow," she says.

"Yeah, the doctor thinks it would help me if I'm in a more familiar environment. I will return in the new year to start the build and ensure everything is in place."

"Come on then, let's get you fed," Violet says, ending the conversation quickly.

I walk in and sit next to Isabel. Mac and Emma are still talking to Miley, I'm not sure how we didn't meet. I guess she will be getting the grand tour tomorrow. I eat in relative silence; only Isabel talks to me when I'm in my quiet mood, and she's still buzzing about going home. She's also been talking to Sam and Hannah about babies again. I still feel that I am being manipulated into something I don't feel right doing.

The evening goes by, and Isabel and I get an early night. Miley didn't come down, so I guess I won't meet her.

"You realise I'm still not comfortable with that. Why can't we use a turkey baster or something?" I say, continuing our conversation, on the part I didn't want to say anything in front of the others.

Isabel looks at me, and I know what she's thinking. 'We've been through this a thousand times.'

Isabel comes over and loops her arms around my neck. This is a different approach. "Look, honey, I know what you are saying, but I can see where Sam is coming from. If it were me, I would want my baby conceived from an act of love, not just a favour someone is doing me. Look, if your doubts are based on the fact you think you are cheating on me, then stop now. I will know about it, and by the definition of the word 'cheating,' it means there is some sort of deception. There is no deception or trying to hide anything. It's even possible that I will be there."

"What?"

"Well, you remember when you said about your problem about getting it hard for Sam? We had this conversation a while ago about where I got you going, and Sam finished the job."

"Oh, Christ, if it wasn't weird enough," I say, not believing what I am hearing.

"No, hear me out, baby, and you might even fulfil a fantasy of having a threesome."

"That's not one of my fantasies, anyway; I'm not in the right frame of mind at the moment. Do you mind changing the subject?"

"I know, baby, but I didn't want to ambush you with it later. We will talk about it with Sam and Hannah when we get home.....Oh my God, we'll be moving into our place soon."

"Yeah, from Sam's pictures, both houses are looking great. Dad's done a great job."

Isabel snuggles up to me, and we kiss. We haven't made love since the night I killed a man. I can feel Isabel take control, so I just relax and feel her love for me. It is the one thing that has got me through.

******

I'm sitting under what is now known as James's tree, going through my stretches and meditation techniques, when I feel someone walk up next to me.

I presume it's Isabel, then a deep voice says, "Good mornin, honey. You must be James."

I was in a relaxed state, so I didn't react normally. "And you must be Miss Miley Cyrus," I replied.

"Oh, darlin', it's just Miley."

I smile, "Miley, it is, and you can call me Jay."

"Jay, I like that. Anyway, I thought I'd come over and introduce little old me to the man who saved my Mac. Mac says you're struggling with the aftermath."

"Yeah, it's not a good feeling," I reply. I take a deep breath, feeling my relaxed state slipping. "So what about you? What are you doing here, Miley?"

"Rest. When Mac and I were in France, we arranged for me to come here where there are friends and just relax. I've only been here one night; everyone has been so nice, and I'm just Miley here." She watches me for a moment in comfortable silence. "That looks so relaxing. Can you teach me?"

"Not in one morning, but I can show you some basic relaxation techniques if you want."

"Jay, I expect you've heard this before, but you must look at what happened with the view of what you would feel if you didn't act and he had shot Mac, Emma, or even Isabel. I won't say any more, but think about it; now it's time to relax me."

123456...9