Isabel, The Beauty Next Door Pt. 09

Story Info
Wise words from someone unexpected. Life has its twists.
33.5k words
4.87
3.9k
8
Story does not have any tags

Part 9 of the 9 part series

Updated 07/06/2023
Created 11/05/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Bamo68
Bamo68
780 Followers

Welcome to the penultimate Isabel The Beauty Next Door. It's been a long time coming, and we only have one episode after this. I was going to stop on this, but there's a storyline that was always going to be in the Isabel story that I need to tell and was the original reason Mac was brought in.

As usual, all people involved in any sexual activity are over the age of 18 years old.

My thanks go out to the two guys who have to make sense of my scribblings. First, read Ian D and the second, read JPS1.

Once again, I ask you to score and leave a comment. I read each one and take any constructive criticism on board.

So once again, enjoy...

******

I'm sitting on the veranda of Mac's family ranch, looking out into nothing. It's been more than two weeks since the incident as Isabel, Mac, Emma, the Artist Sophie Aston, and I were walking towards an art gallery showing some of Sophie's work.

I had noticed a guy a couple of times, and when we exited a restaurant, he seemed surprised to see Mac and then run off down a side street. He followed us and then pulled a gun and went to shoot Mac. I kicked his hand to cause him to shoot up but followed through with a second kick. His head was forced back, snapping his neck and killing him instantly.

I spent a night in the local jail before Olivia came to save me. It seems they are dragging out making a final decision on whether to charge me. The footage has gone viral online, and the local authorities are getting it from both sides. On one side is the right to defend yourself against someone threatening your life; on the other is the reasonable force lobby. Being an election year, officials want to be seen to get it right. I feel that what I did to them is irrelevant; they just want to get it sorted in a way that will make most people happy. Looks like votes will decide if they push for prosecution or not. Mac had put up bail, and I have been confined to the ranch since then.

The phone calls from my parents and Sam had been the worst. Sam wanted to fly out, but I told her I would return after the planning application interview. The one thing that kept her in England, though, is that she's organising the wedding. I can do the rest of the planning in England for Mac's HQ before work begins possibly by Christmas. Personally, I think Sam was more concerned about my baby-making equipment than anything. Isabel and I have talked deeply about what happened and our future. Our marriage next year, and of course, the baby that Sam wants me to put inside her. I did tell Isabel that I wouldn't consider this unless Sam and Hannah marry.

"Hey baby," Isabel says, walking up behind me and wrapping her arms around me. "Mac says the Sheriff is on his way over. I think Charlestown PD have finished their investigation, and the city prosecutor has made a decision."

I have been under house arrest while the police investigate the death of the young man who pulled the gun out. Luckily or not (I still haven't decided), a news team inadvertently caught the entire thing on camera. The cameraman saw our group approaching and just got us in focus when the whole thing started. He managed to record in full digital detail me launching myself in the air and taking out the would-be attacker. Isabel told me that the internet had gone into meltdown over the incident.

I haven't got involved, watched it, or listened to any of the news reports since. The incident has again opened the argument about gun laws in the US, but Mac says nothing ever comes of it. Too many powerful people have too many fingers in too many pies.

I take a deep breath and look up into my fiancé's eyes. She looks back at me lovingly and smiles. Her support has kept me on this side of sane. "Thanks, baby," I say. "I...I wouldn't have gotten through this if you weren't here."

Isabel hugs me tighter. "Jay, we are together through thick or thin. Shit, if you weren't upset, I would worry more."

"Come on, you two, get a room," Emma says as she walks out the front door. "Isabel, are you up for a ride out after the Sheriff's been?"

"Yeah, as long as it's good news," Isabel says.

We've been back from Charlestown for over two weeks, and Isabel and I have learned to ride. It took my mind off what was happening and kept me away from my phone. There's been support from everyone from home and here. I just can't shake the knowledge that I killed someone.

The next two weeks are important, starting with today with the Sheriff's visit. We will be hearing back from the planners next week, and I hope the HQ's final design will take my mind away from this.

It's had a huge knock-on effect. Mac's family called an emergency meeting, and for the first time since Mac's parents' funeral, the ranch played host to the entire clan getting together. Their concern was Mac's security. Some of the family asked if I could become his bodyguard. Mac quickly shot that down, but it was agreed that he would need some level of protection when he was out in public. The meeting was adjourned until the AGM at the HQ in September.

"Do you want to come out for a ride?" Emma says, breaking me out of my thoughts.

I smile at her and glance out over the fields. "Yes, yes I would; thank you, Emma. That's if I'm not cramping your style," I say.

"I think the one doing the cramping is me," Emma says. "I know we've said this a hundred times, but we owe you everything. It breaks my heart to see you in pain because of that idiot, and if I can do anything to help you, I see it as a small repayment for what you have done for us." Emma walks over, stands next to Isabel, and wraps her arms around the both of us. "Plus, all the girls miss your morning exercise," she adds.

"What?" Isabel says when it sinks in what Emma says. "Why, you little harlot. I don't believe you want to ogle my man." Isabel says in mock disbelief. "Well, I do; he's rather yummy," she adds and laughs.

"Jay, yo wan ta cum en for a liddle snack and coffee," Violet calls from the door.

"Is Jay the only one being invited?" Emma asks.

"I don't see no other hunky hero that saved my boss's life, dooo ya?" Violet has been spoiling me rotten since we arrived back at the ranch.

I smile, release the girls, and go to get up. "Come on," I say as we all go in and to see what's on the table.

"Hey ya all," Buck says as we walk in. "Jay, do ya wanna come with me to the east ridge tomorrow? I need another pair of hands to help with some signage."

I take a deep breath. "Yeah, sure, why not," I say. Buck smiles and nods. He gets up and sticks his head in the kitchen to say goodbye to his wife. She's having none of it and insists on a kiss.

As he walks back through, he says. "Since you lot have been here, she insists on showing me she loves me." He picks up his hat, pauses for a minute, takes a deep breath, shakes his head, and then smiles when he realises he likes it. We all have to laugh at him, and when he sees we are watching him, he quickly escapes.

One o'clock on the dot, the front gate radios in to let us know the sheriff has arrived.

"Good afternoon, folks," he says as he exits his truck. "Mac, Emma, James, and you must be Isabel," the sheriff says as he approaches the steps.

"Hello, Sheriff Morgan; I hope you've come with good news?" Mac says.

"I don't think any good can be taken from a young man's death," the sheriff rebuffs, which doesn't sound good for me. "Shall we go inside to discuss this?" He says.

We all look at each other as we show the sheriff towards the reception room. "Howdy, Sheriff Morgan, Violet says as we walk through the house. "You must have had a long drive, the amount of time it took you to get here. Would you like anything to eat 'n drink?" she asks, giving him a little dig.

"No, thanks, Violet. I stopped for a bite in town, but I'm much obliged," he says, trying to explain his actions. We all settle in our seats to listen to what he has to say. "Right, I got off the phone with the DA earlier, and they see no reason to pursue a conviction now. The case has been closed, and any restrictions on your movements have been lifted." He reached into his pocket and got out my passport. "Here, you can have that back," he says.

"Is there a chance that it will get reopened?" Isabel asks.

The Sheriff eyes Isabel for a second before answering. "Well, Mam, here in the US, the general rule is that a person is allowed to use such force as reasonably appears necessary to defend him or herself against an apparent threat of unlawful and immediate violence from another, which is what your fiancée did. In your case, when the use of deadly force is involved in a self-defence claim, the person must also reasonably believe that their use of deadly force is immediately necessary to prevent the other's infliction of great bodily harm or death. Hell, the guy pulled a gun so that any moron could come to that conclusion. Some states look into the possibility of retreat, but that doesn't seem to have been possible here anyhow. The only reason it has taken this long is the case's high profile. The DA must be seen as doing the right thing in an election year. Does that answer your question?"

Isabel nods and looks grateful that the Sheriff gave her such a full answer, not just fobbing her off. "Thank you, sheriff," she answers.

"It's not usual; there have been cases that were reopened, but that was due to new evidence coming in to contradict what was said in the first place. In your case, it's on video, for the world to see, that backs up your story, and it doesn't get more clear cut than that." He adds, then takes a deep breath. "Now, Mac, I hear that the family has insisted on you getting more protection?"

"Yes, Sheriff, but it will only be when I venture into risky areas. You won't see any on the ranch unless the threat changes."

"I bet you didn't think Charleston was a risky area until two weeks ago," he says. "So that you don't hear this somewhere else. The preliminary report on the shooter has come out. He was a Mr. Alec Towning."

"Towning?" Mac says. "Any relation?"

I'm a little lost. I'm not sure where this is going. "Yes, he is the only son of one Rupert Towning. It looks like the boy had a little beef with you over what his Pa did."

"I'm sorry," I say. "But are you saying there's a reason this guy suddenly decided to try to shoot you?" I ask, staring at Mac.

"It looks like it, Jay," Mac says. "His Pa was the man who was driving the truck that killed my parents. I'm not sure how he thinks that's my fault, but it looks like he's had some bee in his bonnet and tried to get some sort of revenge."

"Shit," I say.

"We will know more when the full report is published," the sheriff says, standing. "Anyways, I best get going. It was a pleasure to meet you all, and Mac, keep me posted if anything changes." Mac nods, and the sheriff makes his way to the front door, with everyone except me following him.

I sit in the chair with the feeling of relief overwhelming me. I hear Mac say another goodbye to the sheriff and then the sound of a four-by-four starting up and driving off.

Mac walks back into the room. "Jay, I must go into the city and meet with a security firm next Monday. I would like you to come with me to Charleston to visit my psychiatrist. Dr. Holman is top of his field, and talking with him will help you understand your feelings more. Are you okay with that?"

I nod and give him half a smile. I'm willing to try anything. This feeling is horrible, and it's not like me to be so down. Even Sam saw my pain and threatened to fly here to sort me out. Everyone has talked to me and told me what I did was the right thing to do, but I can't get that man's unseeing eyes out of my mind. The only light is that Sam asked Hannah to marry her, and she said yes. Christ, they must want to be a family so much. I know it sounds like I'm cynical, but I've never questioned their love for each other. I do find what they are willing to do interesting.

The afternoon was just what I needed to get my mind out of the clouds. Six of us rode down to the river along some of the most breath-taking countryside I have ever seen.

Mac has made Isabel and I feel like family, and as we slowly make our way through the sun-dappled water, I feel a semblance of life for the first time in weeks. Mac sees this, reaches over, and pats me on the shoulder before telling me that he'd only bought this part of the ranch the year before. He explained that it gave him more control over access to the river, bearing in mind that we are in a conservation area.

We return to the ranch in the late afternoon, and Olivia is waiting for us with a cup of coffee. She's sitting next to a young lady I have emailed many times, Amelia. Emma tells me that Amelia is the daughter of a man who lives next door to Paps's beach house. She and Mac grew up together, and she has always been in love with Mac. I thought it a little strange that Emma would be so relaxed with her around, but Amelia has always seemed respectful and professional. She is also married but never seems to talk about her husband.

We remove the horse's saddles and let them loose in Farrow's field. He seems happier with some company, and I get fewer hugs from him now. I had to smile at the panic on everyone's faces when they first saw me walk into Farrow's field, and he came up for our usual hug.

Olivia walks over to me. "Hey, Jay. How are you feeling?"

I look at her and take a deep breath. "Drained, I think, sums it up," I reply.

"Well, that's to be expected. If it didn't affect you, then there's something wrong with you." She pats me on my shoulder and stands beside me, looking over the valley. "We will need to stay in Charleston all week. I hear Mac is taking you back on Monday. The planners want to meet and interview you about your plans for the HQ on Thursday."

I half smile and say, "Hopefully, it will go smoothly then, and they won't ask for any alterations."

"I can't tell you which way this will go. One thing on our side is that they will have an even bigger, more impressive building, and an added conference centre for business."

"Don't forget they will become the first city to allow the installation of a revolutionary environmental product."

Olivia turns to me. "I better write that down," she says, half joking. "That sentence in itself will validate us. I think many questions will be asked about the road closures and the water's redirection."

"Surprisingly, that will be the easy part of the operation," I say. "It's the drilling down we've got to sell them on."

"I think the odds are in our favour," she says, smiling. Olivia puts a motherly hand on my shoulder and then walks over to speak with Mac.

******

Monday morning, we are back in the air, heading toward the city. The helicopter is quiet as the first rays of the sun shines through the windows. When we land there's a couple of guys in suits by a large SUV. They don't say anything. Just watch as we transfer into a waiting car. They followed us to the house and parked outside while the six of us walk in.

Emma walks out, asks them if they want any coffee, and would like to join us. The two men come in and introduce themselves. The dark-haired one is Clint, and the blond guy is Bruce. I have to smile at their names. I'm sure there is a rule somewhere that you can only do this job if you have the right name.

Monday afternoon, Isabel and I go off to see Dr. Holman, and Mac has an appointment with the security firm. He's unhappy about having a shadow, but the Board is insisting on it until they know there is no threat to their CEO's life.

Isabel and I walk into the hospital, and I point out the name on the side of the building to Isabel. We walk up to the guy at the help desk and get pointed in the right direction. Dr. Holman comes out of his office and greets Isabel and me before I follow him for a two-hour consultation.

I walk out feeling surprisingly better. He has given me some exercises to do with my mind and referred me to a private psychiatrist in Exeter. He thinks I will heal in time, but it will take time and not happen overnight. I'm feeling more positive as we walk out of the same entrance we came in, and my mind feels more focused.

On Tuesday, Mac wants to return to the gallery to put a line under the shooting. It will take a bit more than that, but I can see his way of thinking and feel it couldn't hurt. This Tuesday is the last day of the exhibition, and by all accounts, it has been well attended after the added publicity.

"Baby, do you think we could put some flowers on the spot where Alec Towning died?"

"What?" Mac says, sounding a little angry.

"No, Mac. I think that it is a good idea," I say. "Although the guy was wrong in what he thought. You've still got to wonder if losing his father and then his family having to live with what he did had something to do with that. We show him respect even though he did wrong would help somehow." I smile at Isabel and squeeze her hand.

"I guess, but....." Mac stops when Emma gives him one of her looks.

We stop at a florist and pick up a simple bouquet. Isabel writes out a card. 'A.T. We forgive but will never forget.' Simple but to the point.

Our car stops at the point that Alec Towning pulled the gun, and we put the flowers down next to a solitary rose that is taped to a signpost.

"Hey, what are you doing," someone shouts from a shop. Then he realises who we are and comes out. "Sorry, Mac, I didn't realise it was you."

"Don't sweat it," Mac says. He pats the guy on the back and then turns to us. "Shall we finish that walk we started?" We all smile, and Isabel grabs my hand as Emma takes hold of Mac's. The street looks different in the daylight, and several people have stopped what they are doing to see what is happening.

I don't know where these people come from, but as we walk, the people around us start to clap and cheer. This attracts more people, and by the time we are at the top of the road, a good hundred people are standing and applauding us.

Phones start to appear as people realise what is happening. We reach the last twenty meters, and Sophie walks out the door. For a moment, she is just seeing what all the commotion is about, but when she sees us walking up to the door, a big smile spreads across her face, and she opens her arms to welcome us.

We spend a couple of hours in the gallery, and when we walk back out the door, there are hundreds of people. Once again, they clap and cheer as we are ushered to the waiting car. I can see the worry on the security guards' faces and Mac's. We get in, the police clear the route, and we are on our way.

"Maybe not such a good idea," Emma says.

"Are you kidding," I say. "That was exactly what we needed to do," I turned and kissed Isabel.

The next day, Mac, Olivia, and Amelia go to work, leaving Isabel, Emma, and me to chill and relax. I also have the presentation to go through in my head and the exercises the good doctor gave me.

That evening, Mac treats us all to a night out at a local restaurant. YouTube has been busy with the footage from the gallery, and the news outlets have widely covered what us leaving flowers meant. Honestly, I don't even know, but it seems to have drawn a line under it for me.

Thursday is a warm day. Luckily, the planning offices are air-conditioned. Olivia, Isabel, Amelia, and I walk into a comfortable waiting area to be called. There are only a handful of people there waiting. I guess because each application takes close to an hour and a half, there are not many people hanging around.

We are called in on time and shown in a room with an oval table and three planning committee members sitting on one side. We sit opposite and wait.

"Mrs. Jackson. I am Paul Rutlidge, to my right is Mrs. Ruth Maine, and to my left is Mr. Rod Mantle. Would you please introduce your team, and then we can start." The man in the middle states.

Bamo68
Bamo68
780 Followers
123456...9