Isabel, The Beauty Next Door Pt. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Sam's dad even turned up with his new family. He seems to get on better with Rachel now. Of course, I had to pretend I forgot the rings to Sam's look of disbelief. "Not funny, Jay," she said.

"It was a little funny, Sam," I reply.

We were originally going to have the after-party in the two houses, but there were just too many people coming. Both places are full of family and friends staying as it is, so Sam has hired one of the banqueting halls at a hotel where she does a lot of work.

It's a great night as we dance and have a good time. I am not allowed to sit through many songs. Between my fiancée and family, I seem to be asked to dance every five minutes.

The night goes by without fuss, and before I know it, Sam and Hannah are leaving for their hotel before jetting out to Ibiza for ten days. It would have been two weeks, but they need to be back because it's Sam's most fertile period. Her cycle had arrived right on time. Sam seems to think we needed to start a day or two earlier.

******

Life at work is relatively quiet. I'm waiting for the work to begin in Charleston before I pull the next job off the top of the pile. That's the way it works at Sampson Harris. Unless there are some specifics, you take what is next. With the movement on the solar windows, I think I'm getting a little slack on the work front. Whether it's to do with what happened in Charleston or not, I don't know, but I will continue to do what I do. On top of that, I am doing Mac's overhaul of his ranch, which I am doing for fun; there's not much else on. I'm aware of both Edward's and Andrew's worries for my well-being.

November clutters into December, and I am in Charleston. Just before I left, Sam got her five days this time of me trying to make her pregnant. I'm praying that this time, she will conceive.

We have the go-ahead, and Mac wants me to get the foundation in, so when January comes, we are in the best place to get everything completed by the end of February.

The HQ has been emptied, and we are ready to go. The hidden room has been opened and demolished. I haven't been told what was found, but from what I hear, there was a lot of police activity.

We are having somewhat of a dry spell, and the contractor is keen on starting to excavate the car park down a level. I understand his contract has penalty clauses, and if it is a warm, wet winter, it will hit the schedule. Since I am on-site, we can make this possible, so four weeks early, they start to dig down in the car park. They quickly get down to the desired level and create the ramp out. I'm impressed with the speed at which they are getting rid of the material, and by the time I fly back to the UK for Christmas, they have excavated all the way to the foundation of the original building. This has the benefit that we can now cover the entire area with a temporary roof and enables us to keep the site dry.

******

I'm back in Exeter for the Christmas party, and Isabel spends a couple of days welcoming me back. I get the feeling that something is up. I'm not sure if it's just because it's Christmas or something else.

Christmas day, everyone is at Isabel's and my house. We have a house full of both parents, Sam and Hannah's parents. Sarah and Zac are still not together but are talking. Sarah has made it clear they will never be in a relationship, but for the sake of peace, she's talking. The only person not here is my twin Bradly. He's distanced himself from the family since they chose to spend time with me instead of him. On top of that he has a serious relationship for once.

Everyone pitches in to make dinner, and we have people coming in and out all day. Both Andrew and Edward call around. Drew comes around with her latest boyfriend. This one has lasted longer than most, and they are even living together. Steve is different because he got to know me before judging my relationship with Drew. He saw my love for Isabel and understood I was no threat to him in any way, shape, or form.

Our first Christmas dinner in our home is an incredible experience. I have smiled so much my cheeks hurt. As we sit down, drinking our after-dinner tea.

"Present time," Sam shouts.

Everyone settles around our living area, and Hannah, with help from Isabel, hands out the gifts. Buying a gift doesn't get any easier, even when you have the money in the bank. I can't seem to spend it fast enough.

Isabel finds her gift in the branches of the Christmas tree. She pauses and looks at me. I nod, and everyone seems to stop what they are doing to watch. She sits on the arm of the chair next to me as she tears at the wrapping paper. A red jewellery box comes into view, and she pauses before opening it.

The box clicks open, and Isabel's eyes double in size. "Oh, Jimmy. It's beautiful." Isabel holds the box up to a lot of oos and ahs. Inside is a necklace with a J and an I, joined by the symbol for infinity.

All the presents seemed to have been handed out. Then Sam says, "Hang on, there's one left." Sam picks a small gift from the tree. "Jay, this one is yours." Sam throws it to me. What I don't see is the smirk on Sam's, Isabel's, and Hannah's faces.

I tear at the wrapping on the parcel. Inside is something wrapped in bubble wrap. I look up with a frown before unravelling whatever it is. It drops into my lap, and I pick up what I think is a thermometer. I look at the screen, and it says one word, 'Pregnant.'

"Pregnant?" I look at Sam, who's got the biggest grin on her face. She nods, and I turn to Isabel. "She's pregnant," I say, and Isabel nods. Then, pandemonium breaks out as the rest of the family catches on.

******

My life is crazy; I sit at my desk on our first day back after the New Year, and my head is all over the place. Sam is pregnant with my baby, and one of my best friends is Michael Carter. I look at the year that is to come, and I shake my head. In the next couple of days, they will be closing off the road at the end of C&W's headquarters so we can dig it up and remove nearly four hundred square meters of material. Redirect a natural spring and put it all back as it was before the end of February. I am getting married to the love of my life and must fit a honeymoon in somewhere. To top it off, I have been asked to design a building that will change the London skyline forever.

Before I return to the US, I need to meet with the London firm commissioning the building. Word has got out about the solar windows, and they want to be the first in the UK to have them. I am one of five architects from around the world invited to bid for the contract. Even if I don't get the contract to build, they still want to use the windows.

I emailed Olivia to see where we stand on that, but I know both Andrew and Edward are reluctant to allow the windows to be installed on anything other than their builds.

My one big worry was that Sam's pregnancy would change Isabel and my relationship. To my astonishment, our relationship seems stronger, and she looks happy for Sam.

Sam is in full swing organising our wedding. The hotel is booked, and the dress has been found. The ceremony will be on the grounds overlooking the sea at a hotel on the south coast. The brochure shows the stunning views that seem to wrap around the hotel.

Isabel and I will be travelling to London in the morning to meet with a couple of board members and discuss what they are looking for in the build. I have read the remit, but I have many questions that never seem to get answered about items added to the list of things they want.

We are staying in the DoubleTree Hilton Hotel near The Tower of London. We arrive on Friday to spend the weekend together. Time together is more important to us than anything, and we have both committed to always making time for each other.

Our room has floor-to-ceiling windows and a view of Tower Bridge. Neither Isabel nor I are opulent, but we like to splash out once in a while. Hell, we can afford it with both of us working and no mortgage.

As I look out of the window, Isabel comes up behind me. She wraps her arms around my neck and snuggles her nose into my neck. "Oh, Jimmy. You know, times like this when it's just you and me are the most incredible. I can't wait to be Mrs Isabel Stokes."

"Forgive me for the way I proposed?"

"There is nothing to forgive; it was perfect. You know the hundred thousand people disappeared the moment you asked."

"What one hundred thousand?" I say. I turn in Isabel's arms, and we kiss. "Have we got time before dinner?"

"Thought you'd never ask," Isabel answers before kissing me.

We made love before showering and going downstairs. The weekend is just us walking around London and Westminster. We even managed a show in the West End. Matilda is a film both Isabel and I liked growing up. The stage show was fantastic.

On Monday morning, we were in one of the conference rooms waiting for the customer to arrive. We had set up some examples of my work, and I had created a couple of concepts for them to consider.

Isabel is sitting in her seat when a group of four gentlemen walk through the door. They shake my hand and sit down. Isabel stands and waits for me to introduce her. "Gentlemen, this....."

"Yeah, okay. Mine is a black two sugars... " one of the guys says rudely, interrupting my introduction of Isabel.

"As I was saying," I say more firmly. "This beautiful lady is our company solicitor and my fiancée, Isabel Richards."

The guy that asked for coffee swallows hard. "I'm sorry, Miss Richards, I didn't mean to disrespect you. We all are aware of your fiancée's reputation when he's defending you."

"Tell me, Mr. Ashford, are you apologising because you disrespected James's fiancée or me?"

Steve Ashford sat for a moment, uncertain of how to respond. The other three men seemed uncomfortable with the situation.

"Uhhh, both. I'm sorry to Miss Richards and to you, James, for not respecting your fiancée."

I take a breath and glance at Isabel. She knows what I am about to say before I do. "Mr. Ashford, although I do not expect you to address any human being the way you just did. What makes it worse is that you did disrespect my fiancée. Your comment about defending her was disconcerting if not totally inappropriate. Yes, it has been publicised widely that I killed a man, but he was pointing a gun. I think this is a little different. I will tell you now, if you are involved any further with this project, or I have to deal with you any further, I will walk away with any design that I have come up with."

"Steve," one of the others says. "Maybe you should sit this one out." Steve Ashton looks at him in disbelief, but he knows that this isn't the time or the place to make a stand. He quietly gets up and walks back out the way he came in.

As Steve Ashton walks out, the service person comes in and asks. "Is there anything I can get anyone before you start?" That's it, and everyone burst out laughing.

The day has gone well, and as we come to the end of it, I have one question: "So, how many companies have you got to interview?"

"You are the only company in the running since we heard you are the only company that can fit the solar windows. We are famous for our carbon-neutral business. We have been looking for years for a way to build in London, but we couldn't justify the step away from our eco stance. When the rumour mill started telling us about your build in Charleston, we had to see if it was viable."

"To make it carbon neutral, you would need an additional source of energy like the Strata."

"What, wind turbines?"

"That would be the obvious solution. My calculations say that if you put two turbines in with the windows, you should have enough to offset this site and your Nottingham plant, which is currently struggling to stay within your guidelines."

He laughs. "I see you have done your homework. You haven't been in this game long, but your reputation is second to none. I have to tell you I was a little sceptical when we were asked to look into getting you to help us build this. I admit I am impressed even though we haven't even started yet."

"So, what happens now?"

"We will return to the board and discuss the situation. You must present something in the next couple of months for us to show the board, and then we can proceed."

"Okay, I will give you a couple of options, and we will go from there."

"Very well; I look forward to seeing what you come up with."

"I will warn you, I will be hopping over to America, so time is at a premium, but once we have an agreement, my team will be at your disposal."

"Okay, duly noted." He gets up and shakes my hand. "It's been a pleasure to meet you both." He nods toward Isabel and then walks out.

Isabel sits down. "Christ, Jimmy, we are competing in a market of one."

"Yeah, I had no idea it would take off like this when I was at school."

"Come on, we need to get up to the room. The way you spoke to that dickhead this morning has my fires burning."

******

I'm on the short hop between JFK and Charleston, West Virginia. The road has been closed since the fourth, and work is progressing well, as far as I know. I'm expecting it to be cold, but according to the captain, it's below freezing at night, and there's not much about when we land.

Isabel has stayed at home. Sam is due her first scan before I get back, and she wants to be there. That girl is incredible. She's so happy for Sam and Hannah, even though it's my baby. This weekend, they are going to Ikea to get some ideas for the babies' room.

The captain comes over the intercom and tells us we are beginning our descent in Charleston. The guy next to me says. "It's been a pleasure sitting next to the man who has been the focus of every beautiful woman on the plane and ignored the lot."

"I am engaged to the love of my life. I see no beautiful women here; there are just people."

He laughs, "She must be an incredible woman."

"That she is," I reply.

The flight attendant comes up. "Excuse me, Mr. Stokes. The captain has been informed that the police will be at the gate when we land."

"Yes, I need to inform them of my arrival and my plans while I am here," I say, feeling I need to explain.

"In a little trouble, are you?" The guy next to me asks.

"No, but last time I was here, let's say there was a little trouble," I say.

"A little trouble?" The flight attendant says. "This is James Stokes; he killed a man defending his fiancée, Michael the Mac Carter and Mac's girlfriend Emma. I wouldn't be surprised if he's not at the airport to greet him." She walks off after dropping that bombshell.

I smile. "Mac won't be there. Emma's meeting me at the airport," I say, trying not to be big-headed and failing.

"I saw that on YouTube. It was nasty. Do you have any idea why the guy did it?"

"Yeah, his father was the driver that killed Mac's parents, and the family blames the Carters for their fall from grace, so to speak."

"That would explain it. So what are you here for?"

"I'm the architect who's expanding Mac's HQ; it's how we became friends."

"A little young for being a lead architect?" he says, looking sceptical.

"What can I say? It is what it is." I reply.

We are interrupted by the attendant again. "Excuse me, sir, can you put your seat in an upright position." She asks the guy next to me. I truly had not noticed any extra attention until she placed her hand on my shoulder as she asked. She left it there as she bent down and said "We'll be landing soon. The police will meet you at the end of the jet bridge." I nod and am a little annoyed. I have already been through all the questions once at JFK.

We land, and it's not long before the doors are opened, and we make our way off. Two police officers are waiting, and I walk over. "Hi, I'm James Stokes. I'm told you are waiting for me?"

It takes the police a little by surprise, but the female quickly realises that this is going to be easier than they had thought and smiles. "Mr Stokes, would you mind following us? Miss Johnson is waiting for you outside the interview room."

"That's good, I didn't want her worrying." We walk through a security door and up some stairs. "Hey, Emma," I say when we walk into the police rooms at the airport.

"Hey, Jay. If I had known this was going to happen, I would have brought Olivia."

"Don't worry. I was asked to let them know each time I come to Charleston as part of being allowed to return to the UK."

I walk into an interview room and sit. The male officer who escorted me from the plane had disappeared. "Officer Mann will be back in a moment. He needed the paperwork to fill out." I nod in acknowledgement. "So, I hear you didn't take the aftermath very well."

"No, it's the first time I have truly hurt someone. If I ever got into a fight before, I would scare them or incapacitate them, and that only happened if my girlfriend or friends were threatened or hurt first."

"Don't worry, I'm on your side, and most of the officers here are. A man wants to pull a gun; he must face the consequences and needs to be killed."

"Still doesn't sit well with me, but the alternative would have killed me inside. So, what's the process?"

"No biggy, really; we only came down to get you this time because it's your first time back. All we will do is fill in the form. Next time you come back, just go to one of the security desks that are everywhere and give the officer this card." I get given a laminated card with my name and passport number as well as the code for what I need to do. "If you give them this, it will inform whoever is on the desk without any confusion."

I tucked the card in my passport case, and we started to go through the form. Most of it is name, DOB, passport number, reason for trip, date arriving, and estimated date of departure. Once we are done, we stand, shake hands, and I walk out.

"Ready to go?" I say to Emma.

She smiles and gets up. We are escorted to an exit door away from departures. "We will need to hire a car, Jay, " she says, steering me towards the car hire desk. Fortunately, Olivia has booked me an SUV, and it's just a matter of them seeing my driver's license and passport and swiping my business card.

I'm not a big fan of driving abroad, but as my life develops, I will need to get used to it. Luckily, the SUV is an automatic, so I only had to worry about the accelerator and brake.

As we settle in the car, Emma throws her arms around me and kisses my cheek. "Congratulations on becoming a dad," she says, taking me by surprise. I thought Sam was keeping it quiet until she was past the first trimester.

"Oh, right, thanks. I didn't know we were telling people yet," I say.

"You're not, but Mac insisted on having the reason you needed to leave the project early."

"Oh, I guess. How do you feel about it?"

"Wow, good question. I'm pleased for Sam and Hannah, and normally, I would question the dynamics. The thing is, I know you, and I know what your relationship will be with your child."

"Okay, I understand that my relationship with Sam is unorthodox, but it works for us. It also makes it easier for me to leave Isabel at home."

"I know how you feel there. I hate it when Mac is away."

"He doesn't seem to like it either. When he's off doing the promotional stuff or the award ceremonies, he doesn't like the attention."

"God, don't I know it. Anyway, you have us for a couple of days before we go back to Boston, so if you need anything, make sure you get your request in early."

"Where is Mac?"

"He spent Christmas at the Ranch. He'll be here later. Olivia and Susan didn't let him greet you at the airport."

"I thought that was getting a little more relaxed. It seems the guy was on his own, and there's no other threat."

"Yeah, but we can't be too careful. You never know if it has given someone else the idea. There's all sorts of weirdos out there."

1...34567...9