Isabel, The Beauty Next Door Pt. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"That would mean a full company restructuring," Natasha says.

"Natasha, if this takes off like we think it will, we will need to double the size of the company. That means a major restructuring. Anyway, guys, this is a heads-up, so have a think, and any ideas will be listened to."

The rest of the meeting goes well, and as we all shuffle out, Andrew calls me over. "Jay, when do you fly out?"

"First thing Wednesday morning," I say, "Drew and I will check the site. I will go through what needs to be overseen by Drew, and then we will return with Mac on the Thursday before the wedding. Drew has the option of returning to the states with Mac on the Monday after the wedding or heading back later."

Andrew nods, and we walk out. "I can't believe I'll be flying back on Mac's private jet."

"Yeah, it's certainly better than domestic flights, even business class," I say. "I'm off home. We need to work on the London job, and I've got to finish Mac's design."

"I thought you had already finished the ranch," Drew says as we walk back into the hub.

"Yeah, but you know how I like to tinker." I pack my stuff up and head upstairs to let Isabel know that I'll see her at home.

I walk into the house and make my way to the home office. We have so many rooms that we have converted one of the bedrooms on the first floor into an area where Isabel and I can comfortably work from home. There are a couple comfortable chairs that you can curl up on and read, a full three-screen set-up on mine and Isabel's work computers, as well as my large flat screen TV from home. This room is where Isabel and I escape to for quiet away from the world. Everyone knows if they come in, they will need to be quiet and read.

******

Drew and I are sitting in business class on another transatlantic flight. Before we cover the work with the base level, I need to check the pillars and get the building inspectors' sign-off.

"This will be an interesting trip," Drew says.

"In what way," I say, a little confused by her comment.

"Well, you know, we don't see each other that way, but others have trust in us enough for us to work together."

I smile at her. "I think the only problems that we have ever had was from your side. Isabel is one hundred percent confident in me with any female."

"Can I ask you something?"

"Yeah, always. I don't tend to hide stuff from my closest friends."

Drew pauses for a moment. She's happy that I see her as one of my closest friends. "Okay, what's the deal with Sam having your baby?"

"Sam asked me years ago if I would father her child. She managed to get Isabel on her side, and Isabel recognises my love for Sam, although different from hers, is part of who I am. Sam's wish was for our child, or should I say children are born from that love and not something clinical. Isabel has become part of that love, and so has Hannah. All of us were there for the conception. Isabel was giving me love, and Hannah was giving Sam her love as we coupled. Before you think that we had some sort of gang bang, they were clothed, and without Isabel there, I wouldn't have been able to perform."

"What?"

"Sam doesn't turn me on sexually."

"You're kidding; she's gorgeous. I've heard a couple of guys say it's a waste."

"Nah, she's always been there, but we've never had that spark. We are totally in love with each other, and I would do anything for her, but that's it."

"It's always puzzled me. I've seen you two together, and Sam treats you like a husband without having the sexual side, I guess. I heard someone say she's like your sister, but I think it's deeper than that. You share something with Sam that you can't with a sibling."

"I've always struggled to label it. To me, it's just what Sam and I do, and I've not come across anyone else who couldn't separate the fact that we are the opposite sex."

"You're right. I guess that's why I asked." Drew smiles at me and then settles back and closes her eyes.

The flight into JFK is smooth, with no problems. We had the same problem as before with customs, but as soon as I told them that I would be signing in at Charleston Airport, they were happy to pass the problem on.

One of the flight attendants came up to me on the second flight. "Hello, Mr. Stokes. I was on one of your previous flights, and the police were waiting for you. We haven't had any such request. Can I ask if we need to do anything to facilitate you?"

"No, they were there for my first visit only and are happy that I know to sign in when I arrive today," I reply.

"That's fine. Is there anything I can get you?"

"Coffee, please," I say.

"Can you make that two," Drew says.

The trip through the airport took longer because the person on duty didn't have the correct form, but an hour later, we were on our way. With both Mac and Emma in Boston, we walk through to the car hire. Unlike the airport police, they're expecting me, and I just have to show my passport and driver's licence, and we are good to go.

We stopped to dump our luggage in the house before going straight to the site. We don't have spare time on this visit, so the sooner we start, the more we get done.

"Hey, Jay. Ha, it rhymes," Jaden says as we walk in.

"Jaden, how have you been?" I say, "Going a little American. We think so, anyway."

"Good, thanks, Jay," Jaden says, eyeing Drew.

"Sorry, Jaden. This is my partner in crime, Drew. She will be your go-to when I am away."

"That's right. You're getting married soon. Will we see Mac before you leave?"

"I expect so; he's desperate to see how we are doing."

"I'll see if Henry is available to show you around." Jaden picks up the phone and speed-dials Henry. "Hey, Henry... Yeah, Jay is here and needs an update and to have a look... Okay... See you in ten."

"He's just sorting out the late shift, and he will be here. Do you want a coffee?"

"Coffee will be great." I sit on the couch in the corner and take out my phone. "Hey Drew, what time is it in the UK?"

"Six," she replies, looking at her watch that she hasn't reset.

"Hey beautiful, we're here safely," I say to Isabel when she answers.

"Hello, handsome. Sam and I are on our way out to pick Hannah up and then to stop at the Littern Tree for Dinner."

"Sounds good, baby. We are already on site and waiting for Henry. Has anything happened since I've been gone?"

"No, it's been quiet, considering. Did you get through security okay?"

"Yeah, it just took a while because they didn't have the right forms."

"Sorry, Jay, but Sam is jigging up and down wanting to talk to you."

"Hey Jay, I'm missing you," Sam says.

"Isn't my fiancée meant to be telling me that?" I ask laughing at my friend.

"No, the mother of your firstborn is, and I am hormonal and need my best friend," Sam says overdramatically.

I laugh again. "Okay, so you can forgive me that I'm still a day or two away from missing you." I hope she knows I'm pulling her chain.

"Jaaayyyyy," Sam says. "I know you're joking, but..." Sam shuts up because I'm laughing.

Henry walks in. "Sorry, Sam. I've got to go. I'll talk to you tomorrow," I say.

"Okay, Jay, be safe," Sam replies and hangs up.

I look at the phone. 'Be safe?' that's not like Sam. She's been acting weird since she got pregnant. I get up and open the cupboard where the PPE (Personal protective equipment) is kept, taking out two hard hats and a couple of pairs of gloves. "There you go, Drew... Henry, this is my work partner, Drew. She will be taking over while I am spending some time with my new wife."

"That's right, Jay, you're getting hitched next week."

"Yeah, and then we have three weeks off for our honeymoon. On top of that, my best friend is pregnant, and it makes sense to keep Drew in the loop."

Henry walks over and offers his hand. "Pleasure to meet you, Drew."

"The pleasure is mine; I assure you, Henry. To work with someone with your experience is always enlightening."

Henry looks at me. "Did she just call me old, Jay?"

I laugh. "No, experienced, I think, was the word."

"Sounded like old to me," Henry mumbles. "Anyway, are we going to stand here and insult me or see how we've done?"

"So how did the road end close and seal?"

"Couldn't have gone better, and we managed to dig through, so we have a tunnel through that makes access so much easier."

"That will make the inspection easier. No shift up top?"

"Surprisingly, no. The only shift has been in the repairs they made to the historical movement."

"How are the under supports going in?"

"When you told me your idea, I was sceptical, but they have slotted in perfectly and will mimic the bottom when we get to that part."

"It seemed to fit on paper. What number are we on for drilling?"

"Twenty four, and we will be ready for cement today. The guys are great at keeping up with the brickwork as well."

"Brickwork?" Drew asks.

"Yes, we have dug out around each pillar so we can put the support for each level. Once they are secured and the cement has set, we brick around to match the original brickwork. This helps to support the upper strengthening struts so nothing moves. In fact, we are inspecting the last pattern under the original building."

"How did you get around the lead time on the supports?" I ask.

"We cut what we already had and increased the order," Henry says. "It makes it easier that there are not so much being built this time of year, so the foundries are pleased with the extended order."

"It helps that they are making the same thing, so they don't need to reset their extractor," I add. "What time is the inspector due, Henry?"

"Anytime. I thought you were him when my phone chimed."

"He's driving in now," Jaden says as she sees him through her porta cabin window.

"Ah, speak of the devil," Henry says, smiling. "Jay, if you can hang around and follow us around. He might want to ask some extra questions. He's been asking about phases three and four."

"Keen then," I say.

"This man loves his job," Henry says, giving me a look that says what a pain in the butt he's been.

We hear footsteps up the stairs, and a guy who may be a little older than Drew looks through the window in the door. Henry walks over to the door. "Come in, Mr. Hendry," he says, offering a hand.

"Hi there, Henry." He sees me and Drew. "You wouldn't be a Mr. James Stokes, would you?"

I smile and walk over. "Yes, I would, and you are Mr. Hendry. Good to meet you," I say.

"I think the pleasure is mine. I do have a number of questions for you."

"Okay, do you want to ask them now or as we look around the site?"

"God, I love your English accent," he says, smiling at me. "Can I ask as we go?" he asks.

"Yes, no problem, and this is Drew Sampson, my partner on this project. She will be here if I am not and knows as much, if not more, than me."

"Yes, I had a memo from your office telling me your team. It also gave me a timetable."

"That's good; if anything changes, it will be updated," Drew says.

"Well, that answers one of my questions. Shall we get on with the inspections?" He looks at his clipboard. "Looks like we are checking sixteen through twenty-four."

Drew and I grab our hard hats, and we make our way down the ramp and into the tunnel. "We've managed to get all of the main structural bores drilled. Once the twenty-fourth bore is bricked we will move the crane and start from this side. We excavated a lot of the material from the other side while the road was closed, and we managed to get the lower levels in from that side. The Brickies now have a head start on that side. This is where the utilities will be put on the bottom floor and the kitchens to the new canteen above. Also, a larger area for staff to relax or change, giving room over the other side for childcare and the gym."

As Henry shows us all around, I'm asked questions so that Mr Hendry can visualise what we are doing and also check we are keeping to the plans. I checked that the alterations we made have worked. We go upstairs into the reception area to check for movement and any cracks.

The inspection goes well, and he signs off on our work. This allows the guys to start bricking up the last of the original supports. Drew will be there for the next inspection in three weeks, where we hope that most of the drilling will be done in the old car park. By the time I come back, the lower superstructure in the extension should be in.

We spend the next couple of days making sure that the builders working on the road end know what they are doing. I had a look around the full structure, making sure there were no other surprises. They have stripped out a lot of the non-load-bearing walls that need to go. These guys we have in to do this are working well. If it's raining, they are inside; if it's dry, they are all pitching in outside. The road we closed and dug up looks great, and they will be planting trees down the middle when the weather warms. Henry finally got through to them they can't plant in the winter.

******

It's Wednesday, and we are packed and ready to return home the next morning. We will meet Mac at the airport and then on a direct flight home in the company jet. I take Drew out for a meal; the other nights we stayed in and either had something delivered or cooked.

"This is so much better than staying in. Why didn't we come out before?"

"I try to keep a low profile," I say.

"Oh, I didn't think of that, sorry," Drew says. I can see her mind working as she looks around to see if anyone is looking.

I smile. "Drew, just relax," I say. "Nothing like drawing attention to yourself when you are trying not to."

"I guess. You know, I've often wondered...." Drew stops when she realises what she is going to say is stupid.

I think about playing with her a little but then let it go. "So, are you ready for tomorrow?"

"Not really. I missed Mac on his trip to England, and I'm not sure what to expect."

"I'm not sure what to say. He's just my mate, Mac. I don't see him as anything else. Just don't gush, I suppose, but I was asking about packing?"

"Oh, sorry. Yeah, I didn't really unpack. Can I ask you something?"

"Sure," I answer.

"What is your role at work moving forward?"

"Oh, um. I'm not sure that has changed, but I am meant to be taking some of the load from your dad's shoulders. I don't think the restructuring is going to change that. Why?"

"I'm not sure I should say this, but I overheard a conversation between Edward and Dad. They were talking about making you a partner."

"Oh, are we talking in the distant future when you take over?"

Drew smiles. "I'm pleased you said that. I had wondered if that would change your perception of me, but no. From what I gathered, with restructuring and the expansion plans, I think it will be much sooner than you think."

"Oh, okay. Thanks for the heads-up. How do you feel about me being your boss?"

"Relieved, I guess, is the best word. Out of everyone, you are the one person who treats me with total respect. I was a little worried that if Dad gave me more responsibility inside the firm, it would affect us. I haven't said this, but before you started, I was considering going to another company to gain more experience. I wasn't enjoying my work, and nobody wanted to work with me because they thought I was getting a free ride."

"I try to treat people at face value," I say. "I've never seen you as the boss's daughter, just my friend and work partner, Drew."

"I never told you, but when I normally pitched my ideas at the monthly meetings before you came along, nobody said much unless Dad or Edward prompted them. When you spoke up on your first day, it was the first time I enjoyed a monthly meeting."

"What, even though you finished top of your class at Cambridge?"

"Wow, someone did their homework. I guess I'm not surprised, though."

"Only after the fact," I say.

"Either way, thank you, Jay." Drew smiles at me and then finishes her meal. "So what are we doing after this?"

"Early night, we have to be at the airport by six," I say. I pay the bill, and we make our way back to the house. We sit and talk like we've always done and then call it a night.

"Lance," I say as he walks into the lounge at the airport.

"Jay, and you must be Drew." He says, shaking my hand. "Just let me check-in, and I will be with you." He walks over to an office and talks with the woman inside. She seems to recognise him, and it is not long before we walk out toward the aircraft that is being refuelled. "So, nervous?" Lance asks.

"About which bit?" I say.

"The wedding?"

"Not really; I am marrying my one true love," I say.

"Wow, are we flying on that?" Drew says as she realizes what aircraft we are walking toward.

"Yep, isn't she beautiful," Lance says.

"Very nice," Drew says.

I can see Emma in the window talking to someone standing in the aisle. "Do we have cabin crew?" I ask.

"Yes, it's a long trip, and I need a plus one," Lance says, grinning.

"Mac still needs to get back?" I ask.

"Yeah, he has some award ceremony or something. I lose track, but we will be bringing some passengers back with us."

"He did tell Isabel, but I don't think I was listening at the time."

We get to the aircraft, and Lance signals for us to get on. I hadn't noticed he had taken Drew's case.

"Jay," Mac says as we walk through the door. He gives me a proper man hug.

"Hey, Mac," I reply. "You've met Drew a number of times on Skype," I say on my way to introduce Drew.

"Welcome aboard, Drew, and it's great to meet you in the flesh," he says. Drew goes to shake Mac's hand, but he pulls her into a hug. Drew lets out a little squeal as his arms wrap around her. "So, ready for the weekend?" Mac says, looking up as he releases Drew.

"Not much for me to be ready for. Sam's organised everything," I say.

Emma has now stood, and Mac does a quick introduction before Emma wraps her arm around Drew for a hug. She then releases her and steps over for a hug and a kiss on the cheek from me. "Hey there, Jay," she says, making me smile at her southern accent.

"Hey, Emma. How's University?"

"Busy," she says as she sits back down. "I didn't realise how much work was involved. You hear about all these parties and things, but most nights, we are working on something."

"Yeah, been there, done that," I say. "You still make time at the weekends, though, right?" I ask. "Isabel and made sure we had at least one night a week that was just for us."

"Ya know, that ain't a bad idea. Hear that hun? James and Isabel had a date night," Emma says to Mac, who's now talking to Lance.

"What? Date night?" He takes a moment to process it. "Sounds like a good idea. We don't make enough time with each other," he says.

"Where can I sit," Drew asks. I look at Emma for the answer, and she indicates the seats opposite.

"Good morning, sir, ma'am," the cabin crew member says. We turn, and she smiles. "Once we are up, is there anything I can get you?"

"We both missed breakfast," Drew says as she takes the first window seat. I sit in the window seat opposite.

"I do a wicked scrabbled egg in the microwave," she grins.

"Sounds good," I say.

"Guys, can we get sorted quickly? They've got an earlier slot if we are quick," Lance says as he makes his way into the cockpit.

Everyone buckles up, and the cabin person goes through her checks as the engines start their warm-up process.

"Drew, are you returning with us?" Mac asks.

"That's the plan; I don't see it changing, Mac," Drew replies. I smile at her as she now seems relaxed with Mac. Drew wrinkles her nose at me, then smiles.

Once we are at altitude, we are served with some scrambled egg with toast and a coffee. "Will there be anything else, Mr Stokes," she says with a smile.

"Yes, could you call me James or Jay because my dad is Mr Stokes, and you are coming to my wedding?" I reply.

1...456789