It Was Always There

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'd love to see you too." She said holding him closer. "I don't know if I can wait that long though."

"I don't want to wait that long either."

They kissed, embracing close. Amber eventually disentangled her lips from his.

"Oh I will be there John. And I will talk to you tonight?"

"Of course.... I miss you already, and I'm still cuddling you." John replied with a smile. Amber grinned.

Eventually, they said their goodbyes, and John started his car and drove away. Amber leaned against her Ute, watching John's car drive away, her thoughts finally admitting what her heart was telling her.

'I have been looking all this time for the perfect guy, when all along what I wanted was a guy who is perfect for me. John is perfect for me.'

*********

Wednesday morning arrived and John turned his rental car into the driveway of the Logan Brother's vineyard. His days away in Melbourne had been busy working with clients on designs. For the first time ever though, he found the travel to be a chore. The only thing that kept him going during his days away were the thoughts of seeing Amber today.

Arriving at the parking lot there was already a camera crew setting up from the local TV station. John spotted his 2-I-C's car and pulled up alongside. Nick and Georgia had literally just arrived and were gathering everything from the car. They all greeted each other, and John helped to carry their equipment up to where the press call was going to take place.

Walking along they all talked about John's trip to Melbourne and what was happening. They were about 50 metres away from the designated area when they spotted the Logan Brothers getting set up. There was also a blonde woman there with them. She turned and saw John and his colleagues approaching.

"Oh fuck!" John muttered quietly, just loud enough for his colleagues to hear.

"What is it?" Nick asked.

"See the blonde up there with the Logan's."

"Yeah."

"I went to school with her... and I hooked up with her at my school reunion."

A smile crept across Georgia's face. Nick looked at John.

"Before you started going out with Amber?"

"Yes. Amber knows about it. But Susie is a real pain. So shallow..."

"JOHN, JOHN, Hello." Susan began calling as she saw them approach.

John took a deep breath as Susie approached them.

"How are you, John? I couldn't believe it when Russell and Marcus told me that YOU were the architect that created their beautiful vineyard design."

"How are you Susie.. Susan? Yes, my team designed this. Ummm, what are you doing here?"

"Oh I handle all the Logan's PR. I organised this little press event."

John introduced Susan to Nick and Georgia, before going over to see the Logan's. After a chat and some light hearted banter, John and his team organised their presentation. As they set things up, John spoke to Georgia.

"Georgia will you please keep an eye out for Amber? She said she was going to come along today."

"Ok John. I will." She replied in a less than enthusiastic tone.

Waiting for the press call to begin, John and Nick stood off to the side of the lectern waiting. Susan approached and sidled up next to John, resting her hand on his shoulder and slightly leaning into him. John gave a sideways glance to Nick who just smiled at John's predicament. Susan kept talking to John, so pleased he was there and how good his work was.

**********

Amber drove up the driveway to the Logan Brothers vineyard and could see the gathering up ahead. She parked her Ute with the other cars and walked up towards the people congregated there. As she approached, Georgia saw her and headed down to see her.

"Hi Amber." Georgia said with a smile on her face.

"Hi Georgia. How are you? Where's John?" Amber asked, looking for her boyfriend.

Georgia's smile turned into a smirk.

"Oh John is up there near the presentation area. Susan is up there with him."

"Susan?" Amber replied looking up to the presentation area. She could see the blonde woman hanging off John, laughing and touching her boyfriend.

"Yes Susan. John said he knew her from school...... They looked very happy to see each other....They have been cuddling ever since they saw each other." Georgia replied facetiously.

From where Georgia and Amber stood they could see Susan now had a big smile on her face and she wrapped her arms around John giving him a hug. Amber could see her worst fears happening in front of her eyes. She screwed her face up to hide the tears that were starting, turned and headed back to her vehicle. Georgia made no effort to stop her and smiled to herself.

**********

"Oh, John that's great news about you and Amber are going out together. She was always a nice girl at school. And she is the executive chef of 'Vine'. What a great restaurant. I'm so happy for you." Susan exclaimed excitedly as she hugged John. Nick watched on with a smile on his face.

"It is great Susan. Amber and I get along so well. She is supposed to be coming here today....." John said to Susan, just as the PA started and the press conference began.

The Logan's, then John and Nick spoke, answered questions as a group and individually, showing off the design. The Logan's then dug the first hole to signify the commencement of building. After speaking with some people from a couple of Architectural publications who had gotten wind of the design, John looked around for Amber. He couldn't see her anywhere. He found Georgia and asked her.

"Oh she was here earlier John, but she saw you hugging with Susan and left in a huff." Georgia replied. The same smirk appeared on her face as when she spoke with Amber.

John closed his eyes and grunted quietly in frustration. The smirk on Georgia's face really got to him. He headed off to find Nick. John quickly explained to Nick what had happened, and how he was going to find Amber. Nick agreed and said he would look after everything. John then sought out the Logan Brothers and gave his apologies for having to leave so quickly. They understood and said they would be in touch.

He now moved swiftly down past the remaining people towards his car. He saw Georgia as he walked. He looked at her, and she was still smiling. His eyes caught hers. The expression on John's face didn't change, but his eyes burned into Georgia's. Her smile disappeared, and her face turned ashen. John held her gaze until he had passed her. In that instant, he truly knew what had happened.

Getting to his rental car, he slowly drove out of the driveway. He wanted to stand on it and race to get Amber, but he didn't want to make a scene. Once on the road, he drove as quickly as he could to the Hartington Estate vineyard.

Arriving there it was just after 12 noon and people were already at 'Vine' for lunch. He could see Amber's Ute parked where she usually left it. John parked his rental next to her Ute and went to go into the restaurant.

As he got to the door he was met by restaurant manager Brandon.

"Hi Brandon. I have to see Amber."

"I'm sorry, John, but she doesn't want to see you. She doesn't want you to come in."

"But I have to see her. It wasn't what it looked like." John exclaimed in desperation.

Brandon could see John was desperate to see Amber, but she had been distraught when she arrived back and she didn't want to see him. He couldn't let John in.

"I can't let you in John. I'm so sorry." Brandon said calmly, trying to diffuse the situation.

John exhaled and his shoulders slumped. His head dropped down. He wasn't going to bust in there and make a scene. He just wanted to talk to Amber

"Ummm ok. But can you tell Amber that I was here and to call me?"

"I will John." Brandon replied sympathetically.

With that John turned and walked away. He went back to his rental car and got in. Shutting the door he leant back in the seat.

"FFFFUUUUCCCCKKKK!!!!" he screamed in pure frustration.

"Damn Susan for being there.... Fucking Georgia. I bet she gave Amber the idea Susan was there to see me. What a bitch......' John's thoughts raged. He started the car and went to drive away. Suddenly he jumped on the brake and reversed the car back, parking it in the same spot.

'Amber said everyone who loved her had gone away. I'm going to stay here and wait for her. I'm not going away. I'm not going to give up on us.' John thought.

So he sat there in his rental car beside Amber's Ute and waited.

********

Amber buried herself in her work that day. For her going through the processes of making her meals kept her mind off John. Once lunch service was finished she stayed and helped clean up, something she hadn't done for a while. It was almost like she didn't want to go outside to face the real world again.

Eventually everyone had finished their work. Amber took her hair band off and shook her hair. She moved towards Brandon who was finishing the day's paperwork.

"B, can you see if John is out there in his Mustang? I don't know if I could face him right now."

"Ok. You do know he tried to come in earlier."

"I know.... I just.... I just don't want to see him now."

Brandon stuck his head out the door.

"I can't see his Mustang out there Amber." Brandon replied.

"Ok. You guys all go home. I'll lock up. See you tomorrow."

"Bye Amber." Her team replied.

Everyone else had gone by the time Amber turned off all the lights and locked the front door. She was going home to an empty house as Adam was at soccer training, and her mother was bringing him home later. Looking at her watch it was 4:15pm. As she walked to her Ute, she noticed a car parked next to hers, a non-descript white Toyota Camry.

As she approached her Ute, the door of the Toyota opened. Out stepped John. Instantly, the anger she felt for John came straight back.

"What the hell are you doing here? Shouldn't you be with Susie?" Amber immediately spat venomously at John.

"No Amber. I told you I have no feelings for Susan, and I never will." John replied calmly, moving towards Amber.

"What was she doing there, hanging off you?"

"She does the PR for the Logan Brothers. She organised the press call. And she was hanging off me because she was trying to big note herself by associating with me."

"But I saw her hug you?" Amber exclaimed exasperatedly.

"Do you want to know why she hugged me?" John replied, still trying to keep calm and not have a shouting match.

"Yes I do."

"She hugged me because I was telling her I am going out with YOU. She was pleased for me and thought you are a great woman. Nick was with me. He heard the entire conversation."

Amber's face dropped, the angry façade beginning to fade away.

"But... But Georgia said you were pleased to see her....."

"Hmmm Yes. Miss Booth has a lot of questions to answer tomorrow when I get back to work. She wasn't telling you the truth. My actual words were 'Oh fuck' when I saw Susan..."

John could see the confusion on Amber's face. He walked closer to Amber, standing only a metre away from her.

"I've waited here since Brandon wouldn't let me in to see you."

"You have?" Amber asked quietly, tears forming in her eyes.

"Yes I have....... And do you know why?"

Amber just shook her head.

John again moved closer until her was standing right in front of Amber.

"You told me everyone you've loved has run away from you."

Amber started blinking her eyes, trying to hold back her tears.

"I'm never, ever running away from you Amber."

He moved his hands onto Amber's arms, gently holding her. Tears rolled down her face and she bit her bottom lip.

"I'm not running away because I love you Amber."

Amber looked up at John as tears streamed down her face. She began to cry as she buried her face in John's shoulder. John wrapped his arms around Amber and held her tight. He held her close and stroked her back and hair as she cried. They embraced for minutes as Amber's tears flowed, releasing her emotions. Eventually, she moved her tear stained face out from John's shoulder and looked up at him.

"Really John? You mean that?"

John smiled his warm smile at Amber. He still stroked her hair.

"Yes, Amber, I really mean it. I love you."

Amber grabbed his head and kissed him hard. Opening her eyes again, tears flowed again.

"Oh, John, I love you too."

The two kissed again, standing right there in the middle of the carpark of her restaurant. When their kiss broke apart, Amber started talking.

"Oh John. I thought you didn't want to be with me anymore. I thought you wanted to be with Susie. Georgia said you were happy to see her and ......."

"Amber... Amber. It doesn't matter. There is no one for me besides you. NO ONE."

"I don't want anyone else either John. You are my man."

They hugged and kissed again. The relief they shared was palpable.

Amber looked at John, tilting her head to the side.

"Did you really wait out here all that time?"

"Yes I did. I wasn't going to give up on us because of a ... misunderstanding. I'm not going to give up on us ever."

"I'm not going to give up on you. I promise John"

They held each other close. They didn't want any more scares between them. In the other's arms was the only place they both wanted to be. Amber ran her hands over John's shoulders and held him close.

"John... What are you doing now?"

"Apart from wanting to be in your arms, nothing."

"Why don't you come back to my place?"

"I think I can do that. Adam will be there won't he?"

"Not for another hour. Soccer training." Amber grinned.

"Hmmm. That's good...... But it's nowhere near enough time for me to show you how much I love you Amber."

Amber leaned up and kissed him.

"John, I'm sure we will have more than enough time over the years to show how much we love each other."

************

The following morning, John left early to head back to his home and work. He and Amber had shared the most wonderful evening, and now he had important matters to attend to.

While she and John had more than made up for the misunderstanding that took place, Amber was still ropeable at being deceived. Looking at her watch, she could see it was 9am, and John wasn't due into work for another hour. She went and grabbed her phone.

"Hello Allimac Design, Georgia speaking."

"Hello Georgia. Is John MacAllister in this morning?" Amber asked. Her anger increased as soon as she heard Georgia's voice.

"No, he isn't in yet. He will be in later. Can I take a message and get him to call you back?"

"No that's ok. It's Amber Hart here. I was hoping to have a word with you actually."

"Uhhhh .... Hello Amber." Georgia replied sheepishly.

"I just wanted to let you know that if you EVER pull another stunt like that, or try to get between me and John again, I will personally come down there and tear you a new one. DO I MAKE MYSELF CLEAR?"

"......Yes."

"Yes what?"

"Yes Amber."

"Oh, and I do have a message for John. Georgia, can you tell him that I love him with all my heart.... And that he was FUCKING AMAZING last night."

"Yes." Georgia replied quietly.

"Goodbye Georgia." Amber said with a smile on her face as she hung up the phone.

Georgia hung the phone down and slumped in her chair. She already knew she was in trouble for what happened yesterday. The look on John's face when he left yesterday said so much. She had been contemplating her next move, but this phone call confirmed what she needed to do.

She finished typing on her computer and gathered her things together. She went and dropped the messages she had on John's desk, before going to see Nick.

Nick had been on his mobile phone talking to John for the last 30 minutes as they discussed the situation from the previous day. They were both discussing the potential legal implications, but they both knew what needed to be done. John was going to handle it when he came in. They were about to hang up when Nick spoke.

"Mate, I've got to go. Georgia is knocking on my door."

"Leave me on the line so I can hear what she says."

"Ok....... Come in Georgia."

Georgia wiped her eyes as she entered the office.

"Nick.... I ... I just wanted to thank you and John for giving me the opportunity to work here, but I have to leave. Here is my resignation letter. My keys and pass card, and this is a list of all my passwords on the system."

"Ummm, thank you Georgia..." Nick replied, surprised at this turn of events.

"Nick can you please tell John I'm sorry."

"I will."

"Goodbye." Georgia said as she left the office and walked out the door.

Nick picked up his phone. "Did you hear that?"

"Yes I did...... Well ....... She took the honourable way out."

"That saves any dramas."

"Yes, but now we need a new secretary."

"Someone older and in a relationship?" Nick asked.

"Definitely. Although, I don't think that will be a problem again." John replied with a smile.

***********

Six Months Later

John MacAllister thanked the waiter as he took a glass of champagne from the tray. He checked his suit was looking good before looking around the room. He recognised some of the people and knew a few more. He took a sip of his drink and contemplated how much his life had changed.

After the incident at the Logan Brothers press conference, John began to take stock of what he wanted from life. As work continued, John was finding himself less enthusiastic about his work and more excited about Amber's restaurant project. Any free time he had, he made the trip up to the Valley to be with Amber.

After much soul searching he decided to sell a 30 percent stake in the business to his 2-I-C Nick. John continued to work in the business, but in more of a Consultant role, while all the day to day running was now Nick's responsibility. The company continued to thrive.

With the money from the sale to Nick, John invested in Amber's restaurant. He wanted to support the love of his life. With the time now available to him, John spent more time with Amber and her son. This became important because a couple of months later they moved in with John. For John, he now was experiencing everything he had ever wanted, a beautiful, intelligent, talented woman who loved him. Her son was a great kid, and they got along so well.

John's thoughts were interrupted when one of the judges from 'MasterChef' came over and started a conversation. She was a renowned food writer, and she was raving about 'Vine in The City'.

Amber was conversing with an esteemed colleague when she scanned the room. Looking across at John, a smile crossed her face. Seeing the man she loved with all her heart talk with her colleagues and peers was great. Her white attire was immaculate and her short hair was styled to look smart. It wasn't every day that you opened your own restaurant.

'Vine in the City' was full of Sydney's top chefs, foodies, restaurant critics, family and friends. Even the judges from 'MasterChef' had made the trek to be there for the opening. Waiters carried trays with small samples of the dishes they were going to serve when the restaurant opened so everyone could taste morsels of Amber's menu.

Amber worked the room, talking food and the brilliant design of her establishment with everyone she saw. Everyone was excited for her and raved about the food and the stunning building they were in. The setting sun was beaming through the windows, the room was bubbling with enthusiastic conversation.

As the evening progressed, Amber was implored to make a speech.

"Well, thank you all for being here for the opening of 'Vine in the City'. I hope you all enjoy the food we are going to have here and this wonderful room we are in." People clapped.

"I'd just like to thank a few people. Firstly, Mum and Dad, Michelle and Greg Hart for supporting me through everything .... And for helping me get this crazy idea off the ground. Huge thanks to my team here and at the original 'Vine', for putting up with their distracted Executive Chef as she tried to make this happen.