It Was Just a Short Story

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Dinsmore
Dinsmore
1,899 Followers

"What? No. He's fond of me but we are decidedly from different worlds. He probably makes more in a week than I'll make the rest of my life."

"Don't be so sure; Robert is far more that small town boy than he let's on. Are you in love with him?"

"That's sort of why I'm breaking it off. I'm growing entirely too fond of him; before those feelings evolve...realizing that we have no future..."

"Debbie, I am in the early stages of a relationship not unlike yours. I've been dating a man—he makes furniture. It's beautiful, hand crafted, one of a kind art. He'll never get rich doing it --- and he doesn't care. I think I might just be in love with him; he's good to the kids. He's a strong, caring and wonderful man. We're dealing with the 'different planets' issues right now. Do you want me to ask him?"

"What?"

"Do you want me to ask my ex-husband if he is in love with you? If he is and knows he is, he would tell me. I know he is very, very fond of you. He didn't tell me your name but he did get that look in his eyes...and I'm pretty sure I never saw that look when he was thinking about me."

"Thank you for that kind --- and somewhat surreal --- offer! You and he at least had some communality, similarities in education, socio-economic status --- I'm just a poor Baptist preacher's daughter from Kansas. Sometimes I feel like..."

"Liza Doolittle?"

"Uh, huh."

"Robert hasn't dated anyone seriously --- more than once or twice --- in the two years since we split up. We never cheated on each other. We just woke up one day and decided that we were still young enough to try again in the never ending quest for true love. Great sex and good friendship wasn't enough. We are both romantics deep down inside...and we didn't have any romance together.

"Search your heart, Debbie; I don't need to ask him. If he loves you, he will say so --- tell you. And that is all he really wants --- to be in love with someone who is in love with him. If you aren't, please don't hurt him, although my gut tells me you've got too much character to do so. What about your marriage?"

"Frighteningly similar story. We're still friends. I can't say the sex was anything to write home about but we weren't in love."

The two women laughed. Soon after they hugged each other and Debbie drove back to the city.

She wasn't sure if her visit with Mandy had helped her decision making process. It would have been so much easier if she had discovered that Robert had a dark, evil side and was on some level a real ass hole.

Debbie was fighting with everything she had to stay grounded and not allow her hopes and dreams to overshadow reality. Robert was on a very different level.

*** "Mike, I'm going to be finished here first thing in the morning so we can get out a lot earlier than we planned. Is there any chance we could make a small detour on our way back home?"

"Sir, the last time I checked, it is your airplane."

"And last time I checked, you were a Lieutenant Colonel, retired USAF; stop calling me sir. A decade ago I would have been calling you sir."

"Where do you want to go, Robert?"

Robert produced a folded aeronautical chart. "There's an air park here and here and the weather forecast is CAVU. That one would be my preference but the alternate would be fine."

"That's not very far out of our way. Ground transportation?"

"A taxi will be fine."

"What's in Kansas, Robert?"

"Hopes and dreams."

***

"Hello, my name is Robert Fuller; I wonder if I could talk to Father Stevens? It is a personal matter."

"He's not here at the present; he's visiting a sick member of the congregation. He prefers Reverend Stevens or just Dale."

"Sorry, that's the Episcopalian coming out. Dale? And you are...?"

"This is his wife, Connie. I'm also the church secretary."

"I was hoping I could have a few minutes to chat with him --- he doesn't know me. I'm a friend of his --- your --- daughter, Debbie."

"Is everything okay?"

"Everything is just fine. Mrs. Stevens..."

"Connie, please."

"Connie, I'm going to be in your neck of the woods for a few hours tomorrow, late morning or early afternoon. I was hoping he might have half an hour or so open on his schedule."

"Mr. Fuller..."

"Robert."

"Robert, I'm sure he --- we'd --- love to meet you. Let me see --- how does eleven sound?"

"That would be great."

"Normally he meets parishioners at the church but comes home for lunch every day. We live on a small farm not far from the church and he has a small office there — well, here. Would that be okay? I can give you directions."

"I'd appreciate that."

"I hope you can stay for lunch."

"You're very kind; thank you."

*** Hey, Dad, what's cooking?"

"Hey, son! Always good to hear your voice. What's new?"

"I was hoping I could beg a room for the night --- two nights really, this coming Saturday and Sunday?"

"You know you don't need an invitation! Your mother will be tickled! The whole family will be together and that doesn't happen often enough."

"I'm bringing a friend...a very special friend."

"Would this be a she or he friend?"

"She."

"How special?"

"About as special as it gets."

"This sounds pretty serious."

"Yeah, I believe it is."

"Do we need to pick you up at the air park?"

"No, we'll catch a cab."

"We've got plenty of room. Your crew can stay in one of the guest houses."

"No crew. They need to be home with their families. I've got a new toy.... an SJ30."

"Sweet! I've been checking out that baby myself although I'm getting too old for single pilot operations."

"Bull shit, Dad! I'm sure we'll find time to take it up for a spin."

"I'm holding you to that!"

*** "Mr. Fuller --- Robert --- welcome to Kansas and welcome to our home."

"Thank you for seeing me on such short notice and thank you for your kind hospitality."

"This is my wife, Connie --- Debbie's mom. Why don't we sit out on the porch? We're not going to have too many days like this before that winter chill hits; it would be a shame not to enjoy it."

The two men settled into two comfortable chairs on the front porch. Reverend Stevens spoke first. "So you live way down there where Debbie calls home. What brings you to this little corner of the world? More important, how is she and how is Chad?"

Robert and the reverend chatted superficially for a few minutes. Reverend Stevens had counseled thousands of people in his long career in the pulpit. He sensed that this young man had something important on his mind and that he needed to shut up and let him get down to business.

"The only thing I came here to do was meet you and Debbie's mom and chat and ask you a question or two. I've only known your daughter for a couple of months. She has absolutely no idea that I'm here. First, and I know that it seems unimportant, but Debbie has told me that the upcoming holiday is a very important one in this part of the country."

"That it is. Often it marks the first hard frost; it's harvest time and by this weekend most of our farmers have a pretty good idea of how kind God and mother nature have been to them. Fortunately this has been a very kind year for the agricultural community. Colors are changing, there is a nip in the air, high school football is in full swing and the cycle of death and renewal is at one of its most poignant transitions."

As Reverend Stevens spoke Robert understood immediately where Debbie had gotten her gift for putting words together. "Debbie told me it was her favorite time of the year here in Kansas."

"I believe it is for me --- and Connie --- also. Debbie loved the fall; I wish she could be here this year."

"She can and will if you invite us."

"Hello?"

"I'm getting completely out of order here and I'm usually a lot more organized than this. Debbie and I are spending the long weekend together. Saturday and Sunday night we are going to be at my parent's farm in Ohio --- because I want them to meet..."

"Go on."

"I want my family to meet Debbie because I'm going to I ask her to be my wife --- after I receive your blessing."

"Oh, my, that is an interesting turn of events. Rather sudden. Are you in love with my daughter?"

Robert chuckled. "It didn't start out that way and I'm sure she doesn't realize it. But oh, yes."

"Is she in love with you?"

"I sense that she's fighting that. She has this belief that we're from very different worlds and that beyond a physical attraction and a genuine fondness for each other we couldn't have a future together. I've tried the subtle approach to change that perception without a lot of success. Frankly I haven't done a very good job of it. Yes, I believe she loves me or can love me if she lets herself believe that it could be real."

"Do you think she'll say yes?"

"I'm not sure; I think she'll at least say maybe, at least initially. Your daughter is a very grounded girl. She's been married without love --- as have I --- and she doesn't want to go there again. . . nor do I. If I don't ask her to marry me, we'll never move past the doubts, the uncertainty...the fear."

"As your prospective father-in-law, I'm supposed to ask you if you can provide for her --- which I sense you can --- and admonish you never to hurt my little girl...which I don't sense you ever would. Mind if I invite her mother into this conversation?"

"Not at all, sir."

Debbie's mother joined the two men on the porch. "Connie, this rather delightfully old fashioned young man came all the way to Kansas --- to ask for our daughter's hand in marriage. What do you think?" She nodded in approval and there were no dry eyes on the porch. Hugs were exchanged and lunch was served. More hugs were exchanged as the cab returned to take Robert back to the air park.

"Our little secret for the moment?" Robert implored.

"Of course. When and where are you going to pop the question, Robert?" Connie asked curiously.

"That old oak over there has some significance, I believe."

"She loves that tree; darn near killed herself falling out of it on more than one occasion. That tree was her bond with the earth and with the creator," the reverend observed.

Robert nodded. "That's the where. The when? Friday evening?"

Before Robert returned, home Debbie received another little blue box; it was a tennis bracelet which went perfectly with her new earrings. She decided not to stop by and find out what it was worth. She didn't want to know.

She had missed him. She found comfort in his arms when he came to her door on Friday morning. In all probability this would be their final time together and she was determined to make the most of it and enjoy herself --- and him --- before ending it when they returned back home.

If she had been born in a different world...his world...the possibilities might have been endless. He took her suitcase; a car was waiting to take them...somewhere. Chad was in good hands with his father and would be spending the weekend with doting grand parents.

In view of everything she had experienced with Robert, nothing should have surprised her. When the car drove them out to within ten feet of the shiny 14,000 pound twin turbofan jet aircraft, it still took her aback. When he strapped her in beside him and took the pilot's seat, she just grinned. Of course he has an airplane --- or airplanes for all she knew. And of course he knows how to fly them.

He would not tell her where they were going, teasing her with the secret. She tried to guess but to no avail. When they descended and he made a pass at FAA minimums over the church in which her father had baptized her and the farm house in which she was raised her eyes filled with tears.

"You brought me home?" she asked incredulously.

"Just for one night; we're going somewhere else for the rest of the weekend. Are you okay with it?"

"Yes, I think...I guess so.... why?"

"You told me this was your favorite time of the year to be in Kansas."

"It is! You actually remembered that?"

"I remember every word you've ever spoken to me."

"My parents will be very surprised; don't expect a whole bunch of 'activity', dear Robert. We'll be lucky --- are we staying with them? Have you already talked to them?"

"We're staying in the home you grew up in. Yes, I've already talked to them...already met them."

"Oh, my."

"Yes, sweet Debbie...good Debbie...oh, my!"

Hopes, dreams and reality had suddenly become terribly muddled. After they exited the short cabin she kissed him and held him very tightly. This could not be real; it was a short story...wasn't it?

Perhaps the most unbelievable event which occurred was when her mother showed the two of them to a newly renovated guest room with the words, "this is where you and Robert will be staying." Her quizzical glance to her mother elicited a chuckle.

"Baby, you are both adults...not children."

There was a parade and a harvest festival which occupied most of the day culminating in a massive pot luck dinner on the church lawn. She was with the best looking man there and almost had to slap herself from giggling at the appreciative looks from old school friends.

"This is my good friend, Robert," she had said more times than she could remember. After the crowd dispersed, they returned to the farm house in the back seat of her mom and dad's car and she received her next surprise.

Her two brothers, one older and one younger were there to meet them. One of them was nearing the end of a hitch in the service; the other worked about six hours away by car. Her older brother was accompanied by a young woman that she understood would in short order become his wife. She was very happy for him. The men chatted outside as the women did the same in the kitchen. No one was really hungry but it was that time of the day. She stole a glance now and again; her brothers and Robert seemed to be hitting it off.

"What branch are you in, Andrew? I'm thinking too much hair for the Marines and not enough for the Navy, Coast Guard or Air Force?"

"Very perceptive! Were you in the service, Robert?" the younger brother inquired.

"Air Force active for two years, shoved into the reserves as part of the 'peace dividend' then called back to active duty for six months then completed my obligation in the Air Guard flying antique interceptors."

"Army Helicopter pilot: Blackhawks. It's been real but I'm ready for a change. Dad was in the service as a chaplain. My older brother here injured his knee playing high school football and no one would take him." Which seemed to be a running joke in the family since said brother had gone on to play Division II college ball.

As the sun set and the star-filled Kansas night appeared, Reverend Stevens coaxed his sons away from Robert and pushed his daughter out of the kitchen. "Your fella is waiting for you," he said, softly, kissing her on the forehead.

She walked toward her tree and he was waiting for her. "My tree!"

"I know," he said.

"I did tell you about it, didn't I?" she said, slipping her arm in his. But Robert did not seem to want to take a stroll. He placed his strong hands on her shoulders and turned her toward him.

"I love you, sweet, kind, good hearted Debbie."

"Oh, Robert..."

"Hush, wench! I'm not done! I love you, in case you missed it the first time. It was at that instant our first weekend together when you pushed back and delivered the My Fair Lady line in a respectable cockney accent as sure as if cupid had shot an arrow into my heart. I love you; I don't want to let you go. I want us to spend our life together. Will you marry me?"

Before she even realized what he had said he had slipped a ring on her finger which was a suitably matching accessory to her earrings and bracelet. Her heart wanted to say yes; her head could not accept it.

"Robert, I..."

"Just say maybe?"

"What?"

"There is that time between 'will you marry me' and 'I do' when the really serious examination of the possibilities occurs. Please, Debbie, allow the two of us to seriously explore those possibilities. Accept my ring and accept my proposal. Say yes, even if you mean 'maybe.' Otherwise we're just two people who like each other and enjoy each other physically...but I think we can be so much more. I'm just asking you to give me --- us --- a chance."

"I was going to break it off when we got home; not because I don't like you --- even love you --- but before the fairytale got completely out of hand. Now you have thrown a monkey wrench into my plans. A very pretty monkey wrench," she said, as the moon light glistened on the new addition to her third finger. "A girl would be a fool to say a flat no. I've thought of marriage again but only one more time. From playmate and shop girl to king maker's wife? That's a pretty big leap."

"Just give it a chance."

"Okay. Not as romantic as, 'yes, I would love to marry you' but it's the best I can muster. I stopped believing in fairy tales a long time ago, Robert, but I'm willing to explore the possibilities. So officially, Debbie said yes. Unofficially, she said, maybe."

The announcement was made back in the house and all seemed overjoyed. They made love together in her parents' guest room...very quietly. In Robert's arms with his manhood inside her, Debbie's resolve and cynicism melted away. Her heart told her he loved her and that she indeed loved him; her head was still fighting the idea.

*** "What time's your flight, hon? What time do you need to leave? Don't take a cab—that's expensive and it's almost two hours to the airport. One of us can drive you."

"Robert said he'd like to leave—the house --- by four to get to our secret destination before it gets too dark. The flight leaves when Robert wants it to. It's his airplane; he flies it. It's at an air park barely twenty minutes from here."

"Oh, my!"

"Yep, mom, the big, 'oh, my'. Robert is very successful and evidently self-made. I have no idea how successful but probably beyond anything I can comprehend."

"So that's the issue? You don't think you're good enough for him?"

"I know I'm good enough for him...I know I could love him like no other woman on earth could love him. Our worlds are just so far apart..."

"He's madly in love with you. My goodness, daughter, if love can transcend poverty and hardship --- it sure as hell can deal with financial security. Give it a chance; explore the possibilities."

"That what he says."

"He's right."

The 4,600 pounds of combined thrust from the twin FJ44's whisked them into the air a few seconds after four thirty and quickly accelerated them to just over five hundred miles an hour. Thanks to a healthy tail wind and the exceptionally fast cruising speed of the small jet, they were descending in under two hours and before darkness set in.

"Welcome to Ohio; that farm house about to pass on the right is my parents' home. All of my siblings are there; everyone knows I'm coming --- with you."

"With what purpose?" she asked with mock disapproval.

"If you are in love with a girl and you want to marry her, you take her home to meet your parents. They are very normal people, Debbie. Dad can make hundreds of thousands of dollars in a single day in the operating room; he spends half the year sharing his gift with those who can't afford it across the country and around the world. He didn't learn how to fix damaged hearts to become wealthy. It was the other way around. They'll fall in love with you just the way I did...and hopefully you'll fall in love with them."

And Debbie did fall in love with Robert's family before the end of their first evening together. They were wonderfully normal, caring, loving people. For the first time since she had met Robert, she felt like she belonged in a part of his life. They accepted her and treated her like one of the family which she began to believe she just might yet become.

Dinsmore
Dinsmore
1,899 Followers