JAA Ch. 01: Aftermath

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"No, I'm secure enough in our relationship to know she will always be by my side. And besides, you'll be long gone before we get tired of each other," Mark said laughing.

"That's good to hear," Cappy laughed right along with him.

"Shut the fuck up!" A shout from across the room resounded.

Cappy and Mark both turned toward the women, Sue had been the one who shouted. She was waving her hand in the air as her eyes closed once more. Cappy and Mark both shrugged and turned back as Marge came with their food.

Chapter 43

Cappy sat at his desk contemplating the past ten years of his life. If he had been a betting man, he would have taken book on him never living to see this day. October 12, the ten year anniversary of the end of the world, yet here he was, sitting behind a desk he had not sought. As he listened to the ruckus of the children outside his window, he shook his head in wonder. How had so many people come to depend on him for guidance?

It had been a long time since he could just relax and not have to answer a million questions or tell someone why their heart's desire could not be. He was tired, tired of being the one to make most of the decisions around there. He did have some help but not enough. Sue and Michelle were good at deflecting most of the trivial day-to-day nonsense people wanted to waste his time with but he still had to deal with more and more things that any idiot could figure out if they just put their mind to it.

"Waylon," Cappy shouted.

"Coming," a deep sinister voice called out from the other room.

When Cappy looked up from his desk, a big hulk of a man stood in front of him. Waylon, Cappy considered him his best friend in the world, was six foot nine inches tall and had to weigh in at three hundred plus pounds. His dark skin and curly black hair only added to his sinister look, offset by the wide smile that always seemed to be plastered on his face.

"What do you need, Cappy?"

"Sit. I want to bounce a few things off of you."

"Sure, shoot," Waylon said as he took a seat. The chair complained a little but seemed to hold up.

"It's time I stepped down."

"What?" Waylon shouted almost falling out of his chair.

"It's time I gave up the reins and let someone else guide these people. I think we'll organize an election, let them choose who will lead them. I also think that our fair city needs some sort of guidelines put down on paper. What do you think?"

"Cappy, you can't be serious about stepping down?"

"I am and no one is going to talk me out of it."

"What will you do?"

"I was thinking of building a place on that plateau at the end of the valley where it overlooks the spring and Jenny. And now that the temperatures are on the rise it seems like a good time to do that."

"Oh, then you're not leaving us?"

"No, of course not, my family is here."

"It is?" Waylon questioned.

"You and everyone else, you're all my family. Are you getting senile on me, old friend?"

"No, no I'm not. Never mind."

"Well, what do you think?"

"Uh...I guess that would be okay if you're still going to be around in case we need you."

"Only in the most extreme emergencies my friend only in the most extreme emergencies, is that clear?"

"Sure, but you don't think I'm going to be sticking around after you leave, do you? I thought maybe we could add an addition to your house where I could hang out?"

"Sure why not. So who do you think would run for my job and who do we want to run for my job?"

"As far as whom, Bill Parker has been the most vocal against your policies and Jim Taylor is also against you and your policies. Henry Holcombe has had your back for a number of years, along with Joyce Latham. I think those four would run.

"As far as whom we would like to win or run, Joyce or perhaps John Skills. Although I don't think Skills would want the job."

"That's exactly who we need to have the job. Anyone who wants this job only wants the power that comes with the job. They really don't want to do the job.

All right then, we'll approach John and Joyce. Maybe we could get them to be co-leaders - Mayor and Vice Mayor sort of thing. However, until then I have work to do as do you. Would you go find Susan for me and have her and Michelle come up here, I need to talk to them."

"Sure thing Cappy," Waylon said as he left the office.

Cappy, alone again turned back to his contemplation of the past wondering if there had been anything different he could have done. In all the years, he had been the de-facto commander, first of a small band of people who were close friends, to now, where he was the head of fairly large city in this once peaceful valley, he always wondered if the decisions he made were the correct ones.

He hoped to be looked upon, in the future, as...he really did not know what or how he wanted to be remembered by his descendants or others. As long as people were healthy and able to take care of themselves, he was happy. He had tried to do just that. On matters of security, he commanded, on matters of domesticity he led or let the people decide for themselves. As long as they were not voting themselves cake and candy, he let them go about their business.

As he stared out the window at the bustling community outside his office, Cappy also thought back on his relations with Jenny, Susan, and Michelle. He was saddened when his thoughts turned to Jenny. She had died while on a trip to help some people in a town not far from them. Michelle had been there but nothing she could have done would save Jenny. It was their third year here that she...he shook his head to clear that train of thought.

"Hey," the voice of Susan shook him out of his reverie.

"Hey, yourself Doctor." Sue's eyes widened with surprise at Cappy's use of her formal title.

"So this is not social meeting?" Susan asked as Michelle entered the room.

"No, Doctor's, it's not. Have a seat please." Cappy waited until both women had taken seats.

"Hi," Michelle winked at Cappy, which brought a smile to his grim face.

"Okay, neither of you are in trouble or anything like that."

"Then why are we here?" Michelle asked with a twinkle in her eye.

"Have you thought any on what you would like to do in the future?"

"We have a choice?" Susan queried, her eyebrows raised.

"You have always had a choice and you know you have."

"What brought this on, Cappy?" Michelle's voice was full of concern.

"I will be stepping down in the near future, as soon as elections are held to see who takes my place."

"No, you can't!" both Doctors exclaimed at the same time.

"I can and I will, do you understand? I am tired, tired of making all the big decisions and having to live with the little bullshit ones. I'm going to build myself a home on the plateau at the end of the valley and watch as they all vote themselves into oblivion again."

"Oh." Michelle yelped.

"I see," said Sue softly.

"I was just wondering..."

"What were you wondering Cappy?" Susan asked.

"Would you and your families move up there with me? I would really hate to live up there all alone."

"Of course," Michelle ventured.

"Uh, what about the clinic? Who would take care of that?"

"You have more doctors there than you really need. You, people, make house calls. In addition, there are always three or four out and about in the surrounding area all the time. What do they need with you two?"

"Cappy, we run the place."

"I know, but don't you have some young admin type who could take over for you? I would really like you two to retire. Spend some time with your children before they are old enough to head out on their own. Enjoy your husbands. Me."

"Cappy, what brought this on?" Sue asked softly. "Have you been thinking about Jenny?"

"Yes, but that's not what brought this on. I'm just tired. It's been ten years. Do you know how old I am? I know you do."

"You're not old, I'm old, look at the wrinkles around my eyes," Michelle rolled her eyes as she giggled.

"You are not old, young lady. And those are smile wrinkles and you know it."

"Cappy, we're all feeling...run down. It has been a long ten years. But that's no reason to quit."

"Hey, I'm not quitting. I'll be a pain in the side of whoever takes over just as they have been a pain in my side, don't you worry your pretty little heads about that."

"Then why do you want to step down?"

"I want some time to myself. I want some time to spend with you two. I would really like to just have days where I don't have anything that I need to do. And I would love to just go for a horseback ride and go fishing and not have people bothering me."

"Okay, I get it. I have days like that too. And it would be nice to just sit with you on the porch and gaze at the sky." Michelle smiled as she looked out the window.

"You know, I could use some time off. Maybe just cut back on the hours I work and spend time with the kids, Mark, and you. That would be much, much better than spending every day down at the clinic." Susan rose from her chair and walked around Cappy's desk. She grabbed his ears and kissed him on the lips.

"All right you two, either I get to join in or you are just going to have to find a room," Michelle laughed as she too grabbed Cappy's ears and kissed him soundly.

"You two, get back to work and think about doing what you said you would like to do. Oh and not a word to anyone, you got that?"

"You got it Cappy," Michelle said walking out the door of Cappy's office.

"Yes dear, we'll keep quiet," Sue said following Michelle.

~~~ [time] ~~~

Cappy sat behind his desk, Waylon stood just behind him and to his right. Joyce Latham sat while John Skills stood behind her in shock.

"You want me to what?"

"I want you two to run for office. Town Mayor and Vice Mayor."

"No, no I will not."

"Now wait a minute there John," Joyce told him.

"Be quiet Joyce, I will not run."

"John you are perfect to run and win. You will make an excellent Mayor. Do you really think I wanted this job? Do you think I am really happy doing it?"

"I'll run," Joyce said.

"I know Joyce and you would make a good Mayor but, John is better suited for the job and could use your help."

"I see," Joyce, answered coldly.

"Joyce, don't be like that. We have known each other for, what, six years?"

"Yes." Her voice still held a chill that would have frozen your gonads.

"And you know I have never beaten around the bush? I tell it like it is, right?"

"Yes." The frost was starting to melt a little.

"You would make a hell of a Mayor back in the old days but, now, we need a warrior spirit and someone who hates the job. You will make the perfect buffer for John. Just as Waylon and Susan have been for me.

"Did you ever wonder why Waylon had most people go see Susan before they could see me?"

"No?" The ice was gone.

"Because they were so good at handling people, which I wasn't, they got the real problem from them, you included, and passed it on to me. Then you were allowed to talk to me a couple of days later, you had cooled off and I knew exactly why you had come in the first place. And I had a reasonable answer that made you happy. Didn't I?"

"Yes, you were always good about solving problems," Joyce said.

"And that's what you can do for John. Get the people to open up and tell you what the real problem is. I know you can do it, I've seen you do it. You're good at it."

"Okay, I think I understand now."

"How about you John?"

"You know I might consider it under those circumstances. Will Susan come with the package or Waylon?"

"Sorry, no. Waylon will be retiring with me as will Susan."

"But, what about the clinic?" Joyce asked.

"What about it?"

"Who will run it if Susan is retiring?"

"Who would you like to run it? After you, two are elected?" Cappy smiled at her.

"Ah, I see," Joyce smiled back at him.

John just laughed as he realized he would probably be the next Mayor. And Joyce was a nice enough person, so they should get along.

"Okay, fine, I'll run."

"Me, too," Joyce replied.

"Good, good."

"Who do you think we'll be up against?" John asked.

"You probably know better than I do," Cappy shot right back at him.

"Bill Parker and Jim Taylor," John said softly.

Cappy looked over his should at Waylon then back to John.

"Did he tell you that's who he thought it would be?" Cappy asked.

"No, they are the only two that have been vocal about how things are run around here. Everyone else thinks things are just fine with you in charge. I don't know if you know what they have been saying and you know I'm not one to spread rumors..."

"We," Cappy held up his hand, "know."

"Ah, well then, what else can we do for you Cappy?"

"You've just done it, so you two can go and discuss your campaign."

"Humpf, is that what you are going to call it?"

"Of course why not? We'll see you in a couple of days. Don't start campaigning just yet. The announcement will be made in a couple of days."

"Sure thing Cappy," John said.

"Okay Cappy, see you," Joyce said smiling at Cappy as she rose and followed John out of his office.

"So do you think they'll keep quiet?" Waylon asked.

"John will, I don't know about Joyce."

"My thought exactly."

~~~ [time] ~~~

Cappy stood on the podium looking out over the square waiting for everyone to settle down. Once the people had become quite enough he started.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I'm here today to announce that I will be retiring shortly."

Cappy stopped as the crowd started to complain, talk, and yell to Cappy.

"Please let me finish..." Cappy called out. The noise lessened slightly.

"Quite!" Waylon yelled. The crowd was immediately silent.

"There will be elections for my replacement. The position of Mayor and Vice-Mayor will be filled by a popular vote of every citizen of our valley. The vote will take place in two months. The doctors will count the votes once cast. I will then step down the next day as the winners are sworn into office.

"In case you are wondering, I have staked out a place on the plateau at the end of the valley. So I won't be far.

"Candidates will have to register at my office. The only requirement is that they have to have been a resident for more than three years and know how to write their name. Applications will be available as soon as I get over there. Any questions?"

Cappy looked over the stunned people. Bill Parker had a smirk on his face, Jim Taylor, on the other hand, was thoughtful. Both started to walk to Cappy's office to wait for his return.

"Okay, if there are no question this ends the community news. For further information about the goings-on in our fair community, Lisa Forbes will now address you."

Cappy stepped away from the podium and turned toward his office. Waylon was right beside him.

~~~ [time] ~~~

The election was held on July 4, 2026. John Stills and Joyce Latham won by a landslide. Of course, having the endorsement of the incumbent, one John 'Cappy' Abernathy did not hurt them.

Changes abound with the new administration. Ying replaced Waylon as head of security. A person named Ralph Neuquest now ran the hospital. A police force was recruited, it started with three men. Ying was given authorization to train every man and woman in the valley to be part of the valley defense force.

Ying appointed Waylon her head instructor. He was happy to do anything for her. Michelle and Susan worked part-time at the hospital. The rest of the time they were to be found on the estate of Cappy Abernathy where they all lived or helping Waylon train new recruits.

There came a time, late one cold night in December when Cappy was unable to rise from his bed. Susan, Michelle, Ying, Waylon, Mark, and George sat around his bed hoping against all hope that his condition would improve. However, as fate would have it, his condition only worsened.

"Cappy, can you hear me," Michelle whispered, tears streaming down her face.

"Yes, sweetheart, I can hear you," Cappy croaked, his throat dry and raspy.

"Everyone is here, just like you asked, dear." Michelle brushed his hair from his eyes.

"Thank you for all coming. Very shortly, I will...no longer be here. Please, Susan, stop. I am dying. I have known for some time that I was dying. I even told Michelle when I would die a long time ago."

"I remember dear. I was very sad then."

"I know you were. Susan, please stop sweetheart. We all die."

"I know," Susan, sobbed as she tried to contain her sorrow.

"I just wanted to say good-bye to you all. Mark, George, I want to thank you two for being so understanding and for allowing me to be a part of your family."

Cappy stopped talking and closed his eyes. Michelle leaned forward to check his pulse.

"I'm still here."

"I know. Please continue when you're up to it."

"Waylon, my best friend in the whole world, although we met late in my life, I have come to consider you as my brother. You have been there for me more times than I can count..."

"Four-hundred-twenty-two," Waylon laughed.

"You would know. You have watched my back for me in desperate situations. I love you, buddy, you are the best."

"Damn, Cappy, now you made me tear up and everything," Waylon joked, yet there were tears running down his cheeks.

"Ying Lee, an admirable person who I have come to respect and admire. You have given me hope for the future of mankind."

"Oh, Cappy," Ying cried, turning her face into Waylon's chest.

"Jenny, although no longer with us, has been the love of my life that I have missed every day since her death. She allowed me to express myself in ways no other woman would or could have. She was a great woman and wife who I loved deeply.

"Susan, no wait, Michelle, a beautiful and noble woman filled with compassion for her fellow man. Wise yet playful. The first time I saw you, walking down the sidewalk I thought you were the most beautiful woman I had ever laid eyes on. Then later the same day you kissed me and my heart leaped to my throat. I knew then that I loved you and that I always will."

Michelle leaned down and kissed Cappy gently on the lips, caressing his face with her hand.

"Thank you, dear," she whispered.

"You are most welcome. Now, Susan, what can I say that you all don't already know? Beautiful, caring, intelligent, wise, did I say beautiful, I did, didn't I? When I saw you standing there in the doorway when I opened the bathroom door, I can tell you now that I was surprised. I had not foreseen that event or maybe I did and blocked it out so I would be surprised. It was the prior day that I think I fell in love with you, it was that night that will remain the one special moment I still cherish to this day.

"I wanted you so bad and then there you were, standing there waiting. And when I slipped the straps off your shoulders and you let the dress fall to the ground my heart leaped with joy. Each moment of that night is etched into my memory for all time. To you dear, I pledge my heart, my fortune, and my mind. I love you with all my heart."

Susan leaned in to stare into Cappy's eyes. She pursed her lips and gently kissed him as she watched. The flame in his eyes flared for an instant, then slowly began to fade. His breathing slowed as she watched.

"I love you," he whispered.

"I love you too," Susan, whispered back, tears welling up to blur her vision.

Her hand came up to wipe the tears away so she could see his eyes. The glow in them slowly dimmed. On his last breath, the light went out and his eyes were dark. Susan stood, looked around the room, everyone was now in tears, everyone except her.

There was work that needed doing now that Cappy was gone, important work.

Epilogue