All Comments on 'Jonas Agonistes'

by Malraux

Sort by:
  • 256 Comments
Grim537Grim537almost 8 years ago
A Cut Above....

There are many stories on this site and many of them are excellent. However, on rare occasions a story comes along that stands out on it's own, due to it's excellence. You are a great writer and I hope to see more from you in the future. Thanks, for your efforts.

Oh, and for the yawning, *anonymous* troll who posted the needlessly negative comment below. I can only conclude that he/she is mentally challenged and cannot appreciate the work for what it is. Next time you post a story, maybe it should include illustrations done in crayon, so he/she can better appreciate the story.

Dawgbite38Dawgbite38almost 8 years ago

Great story. Five stars easily. One of the most emotional stories I have ever read.

JayDiverJayDiveralmost 8 years ago
Thank you

I had things I needed to get done today, I didn't. I started your story and had to finish it. As I said, Thank you, a five star easy. I wished they scored on a higher scale, this story rates higher. Thank You.

johntcookseyjohntcookseyalmost 8 years ago
Where is your work available!

You have quickly become one of my favorite writers on Literotica. Is more of your work available for download or purchase? After "Catching", I was thrilled to see "Jonas" submitted. I'd be thrilled to read more from your southwestern Ohio world. Thank you for sharing your gift.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
One of the best !

What more needs to be said.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Wonderful!

A great story! The characters are marvelous and jump off the page. I know a few marines, and are even more proud of their service after reading this. Thank You for a great read!

GentleVikingGentleVikingalmost 8 years ago
Beyond good

Amazing story. One of the best on lit

Many thanks for sharing such wonderful work

calibeachgirlcalibeachgirlalmost 8 years ago
Most wonderful

This is a most wonderful story. Thank you for writing it.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
I don't have the words

to describe how extraordinary this creation is...I do a lot of reading always looking for Great Stories. This one is so far above any that I've enjoyed in the past it is way beyond any paltry 5 Star Designation.

Thank You,

Alan

1handslapping1handslappingalmost 8 years ago
One of

Three or four on here that has got grit in my eye. Wonderful story.

mountaincat4mountaincat4almost 8 years ago
Powerful, thought provoking and extraordinary

I'll let others tell you what a great job you've done. There are two things I'd like to comment on. First is the two sets of pictures. This was deeply symbolic and introduced an element of perception that added to the profound impact the pictures had. The original set was blurry and conveyed the fact that they were taken under duress. It is also how those involved remembered the horror of those hours. The lack of clarity was at the heart of the entire mission and was extremely significant. The second set had been enhanced by a computer, raising the question of whether or not our understanding (a profoundly human attribute) can indeed be enhanced by a machine. Jonas now saw clearly what he had previously only been able to see 'as though through a glass darkly'. This after the fact clarity played a major role in the decision not to prosecute him.

Secondly was the conversation where the therapist was helping him by leading him with questions about his actions while trying to save the young girl. She led him to several insights to help him realize that not everything we try to do in life has a happy ending. I was expecting she was going to ask one more question: Did he ever consider that the bullet that struck the girl was really meant for him? This could have introduced an entirely different direction in the ending of the story.

Really great job! 5*

d2talld2tallalmost 8 years ago
I really enjoyed it!!

You have put together two of the best romance stories I have had the pleasure to read. Well done! It was sad to see it end. Please keep writing. You have a great talent. Thank you!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
wonderful

I have read many a novel and short story but what you have written not only is it an epiphany of love of human kind but opened up our consciousness to what we humans can do too each other and still live to tell the story... many thanks.

MrmacjrMrmacjralmost 8 years ago
Nice Stories

I just completed reading this story and Catching Colleen. I enjoyed both stories and thought they were well written. I look forward to seeing more of your work

FeonorxFeonorxalmost 8 years ago

This story has the potential to be a decent story about a vet dealing with PTSD, but I'm not sure this was the right place for it. There certainly wasn't much romance and definitively a lack of "erotic" for a story on Literotica. While I might question the author's knowledge of military procedure, nobody can question the need for an editor. The author switches between first person and third person, a trait I find distracting, trite, and unnecessary. The somewhat random capitalization left much to be desired. Pacing was a serious issue. I understand the author wanted to portray the healing process and the "romance" that developed during it, but the story seriously dragged at points. Learn from this: get an editor, tighten it up, add some actual romance, and try again.

arrowglassarrowglassalmost 8 years ago
Definitely well written...touching!

A real pleasure to read this...Thanks!

rightbankrightbankalmost 8 years ago
powerful emotions

I was pulled along from one important event to the next. Witnessing his emotional growth, watching as he dealt with his nightmares, then revisited again and again as the book was released. That both families were so supportive was marvellous. One step at a time.

The literary references were like finding hidden gems. Samson Agonistes, Milton, Bartleby the Scrivener, Melville, and even Andre Malraux DSO, and probably many others I missed.

Thank you for another complex and compelling story.

GrandPaMGrandPaMalmost 8 years ago
One last missing element...

I loved the story, but was struck with the thought that the media would gave gone APE over a story like this - and that both the military hierarchy and the political personalities would not leave a story like this one nearly as alone as depicted.

But, that is almost beside the point, really. My real thought on the story was that only one significant element needed to be addressed: The families of the Marines that died on that machinegun. I had thought that he might have had a setback in his PTSD recovery should one or more of the angry family members confronted him during one of the book tour's stops - or via a media arrangement, or something like that. I mean, the emotional impact of some woman screaming "My (pick one: son/brother/boyfriend/husband) is DEAD because of YOU!" would have been both real, and something worthy of exploration - how do you deal with the reality of THAT amidst all this mess that happened that day? It's not erotic, but it is certainly emotionally charged, and whether we like it or not, we are emotional creatures, with all that entails.

5* any way you slice this, and by all means, ignore the trolls.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Great story!

This was a very involved and engaging story, not just an excuse to describe sex acts. I enjoyed it very much.

Just two comments in case you ever want to revise it:

First, I found the ending a little abrupt. I was expecting Jonas I was expecting Jonas, and perhaps Emily, to talk with his two former colleagues and get some information lonely from Tom but also from them, kind of closing the circle little and broadening the support he received.

Second, I was surprised not to get closure on Emily's paper for the course. I wasn't expecting much, but I did expect her to offer some insight that helped him further, or at least his reading the paper and affirming that she "got him."

But neither of these kept me from enjoying a wonderful story. Thank you.

Crusader235Crusader235almost 8 years ago
Powerful!

Very powerful story! Thank you for it!

Semper Fidelis, from a Viet Nam Marine.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Bravo Zulu - Very Well Done

This is one of those rare finds. Thank you so very much for dealing with such a sensitive subject that affects so many of our veterans. Jonas portrays a strong sense of HONOR that all to often is glossed over. Surely you either have experience with the military beauracracy or know someone who has. I especially liked the exploration of Jonas' dealing with the mental issues of PTSD, and feel it could have been explored more thoroughly. Your descriptions reflect some of my own experiences, and the experiences of many vets I know.

Please find an editor, mainly to smooth the dialog, which tends to be a bit confusing. Your overall concept is excellent and shows much promise, and I will definitely follow your work on this site.

Thank you again, from this old vet. You show an understanding and sympathy for the mental issues so many of us deal with. The familiarity with so many of the classics, and how they apply is very refreshing.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
a very good, no, great,BRILLIANT story,

a very graphic and true story of the tragedy of war. I am a vetran, I also have been in

in combat zones. A story not just about two people falling in love, but also the rehabilitation of a damaged man, I still have depression now, over 30 years since I left the British Army. Well Done I salute you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Bravo

Additional comments are not needed

WbradWbradalmost 8 years ago
I am lost for words

I had expected to read what I normally find on Literotica, but I was total hooked on this story. I stayed up until 4am, reading it and got to page 9, and continued today, 6-7-16. I must admit although I am a guy, I was nearly crying when reading some parts. I think if it was longer, it would be a best seller. Malraux, like I said I am lost for words to say about this story. Well done, it was a pleasure to read.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Wow!

What a great story! The character development, plot and pace are exceptional! I did find the change in voice irritating and confusing. It detracted and distracted. Who is telling this story? Jonas or a narrator?

bruce22bruce22almost 8 years ago
Impressive Work

Have you any downloads on Amazon? Though I do not think that my tearducts will hold out, I would like to read more of your work.

pumpop201pumpop201almost 8 years ago
Thanks

Thanks for a truly wonderful and moving story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Superb Story

Thank you for this wonderful story. Excellent read

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Just for the record

I need make no apologies for a person who knows what they're talking about. However for those of you who have never been there, you need to understand to the oath mentioned that all take in the service. It's important to note in both officer and enlisted faithful allegiance to the Constitution is complete and unconditional. For enlisted, obedience to the Commander in Chief, and officers is conditional upon being in accordance with regulations AND the UCMJ. Equally, there is no expiration for either. Incidentally, your elected officials take a very similar if not identical oath.

"All officers of the seven Uniformed services of the United States swear or affirm an oath of office upon commissioning. It is required by statute, the oath being prescribed by Section 3331, Title 5, United States Code.

Text of the Officers Oath

I, [name], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God."

"Oath of Enlistment

I, ____________, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Incredibly imaginative story

My first thought as I read further and further into the story was that nobody could possibly have made this up - that it had to be taken from actual events. However real or fictional - or combined - the story is, it is excellently told and well edited. I was in suspense as to how the romance between Jonas and Emily would manifest itself in intimacy. My only criticism is that in the throes of such warm, romantic intimacy, "Make love to me" is so much more appropriate than "Fuck me." The latter is fine for a one-nighter, but not for a romantically intimate occasion with the promise of a lifetime relationship in the offing.

SigfriedSigfriedalmost 8 years ago
Welcome

You're a most welcome addition to the site. Thoroughly enjoyed your 3 stories ( so far.) Hope there are many more.

glyphistglyphistalmost 8 years ago
Moving and well written

I love the story and it characters; the military actions as described feel real and detailed, like a standard exercise gone horriby wrong, not by accident but deliberately misdirected.I do like the writing style and plot progression very much.

Because of 'Samon Agonistes' I expected the story to end with some parallel between the fall of the Philistines and some sort of visible retribution on the Officer Core for their betrayal, or at least the officer seemingly responsible for the atrocity.

For me it feels there is another side to this story, that of the officer who ordered the raid; maybe I just want to see the 'bad guy' punished, maybe he's not a 'bad guy'; where lies his 'heaven and hell', his purgatory, his ultimate responsibility? After all Jonas is only one of the victims of his command decision, a decision which seems to have tainted and coerced the entire military structure into actions they could not have been happy with.

PTBzzzzPTBzzzzalmost 8 years ago
Well donee

I am sure this story would do well with the rest of the story of the lives involved.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
5*s and favourited

It's not very often that you find a story with an actual story (and not just a loose chain of events linking sexual acts) on this site.

Yes. Erotica was missing. Romance, however, was definitely not. Loved the old-school non-erotic romance in this piece.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Good read

I liked the story, but it's a stretch to call this even romance. Great story, but I did not feel hardly any relationship between him and Emily. What are his emotions and feelings towards her? What are her feelings to him? There is no description of the thought processes of either character to how they fell in love.These points were woefully understated for this to be romance. All we get was "I think I'm falling in love". Really....all I've read about is the war.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great story. One of the best here. But maybe a different category or something. Not romantic

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Well Done

a most interesting & intriguing tale

well written & an enjoyable read

i am at a total loss to understand the views of the previous commentator

for me there was an inherant Softness to the Emotions & the Descriptive process

almost like looking through a Tinted or partialy misted window.

Yes maybe the author wrote wearing Rose tinted glasses Or maybe the reader just needs to be really relaxed & in a very quiet enviroment & open of mind to really enjoy & appreciate the depths & beauty of what is written .

and considering the Tale is from the Point Of View of the mian protagonist & the way the Details of the story Unfold ..in my opinion it was a most inspired writing style & genius , to tell the story in this way.

just like the Blurry Cell Phone images when digitialy enhanced.

time & reflection upon what the Author wrote ..

show the true depth & detail of the Tale.

Romance .. hell yes

just a most unusual Romance .

dealing with and around some very dificult issues

i loved that the story did not overly dwell upon his ptsd

i love that the story did not overly focus on the events in combat

OR his trials and tribulations during the 2 year investigation

(only hinting at and abstractly mentioning them when neccessary)

hard to really find anything i did not like about this story

i even loved the fact there was so little actual Sex in this tale ..

(and i love reading hot and sweaty sometimes kinky sex scenes)

to be totaly honest my only complaint would be the story could have been twice as long and i would still feel cheated & dismayed when it finished..

have added the Authors page to my favs

am now going to read the other 2 tales posted

and look forward to seeing what else this gifted & talented writer shares with us.

a most worthy 5 stars from me.

xxxTwistedOliverxxx

Splinter80Splinter80almost 8 years ago
Great

A very moving and romantic story, particularly for our times

dyonysosdyonysosalmost 8 years ago
@Malraux

I told you once before you are on your way to become a star on Literotica but with a name like yours was there ever a doubt ? haha

5 easy stars

niestarniestaralmost 8 years ago
loved it

This was a well read story....five stars aren't enough. Thank you for sharing.****"

Niestar

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Absolutely Fantastic

I agree; 5 stars are not enough.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
you deserve 5* from every person who is reading this wonderful story

Enjoyed every word of this emotional story.

ScreamingEagle101ScreamingEagle101almost 8 years ago
Thank You

Sir, I am an Afghanistan Campaign veteran, who faced his own demons in that hellish land. To this day, nearly four years later, I still struggle with the lawful order I followed, and the immoral consequences of it. Your story gave me hope that perhaps those that died might still forgive me, and that one day I may even be able to forgive myself. Thank you.

1LT *** US Army, Inactive Reserves

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Cincy

The story was great. Insight into avoiding atrocities with an enemy that revels in atrocity.

And again I had a lot of fun following the action because I come from the area. Write more stories because I haven't yet figured out where Sky Grey is, but I think I have been to some of the places mentioned (like restaurants) even though you changed the names.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Good and bad

I wanted to leave my impressions for the author to maybe be of some help. I was impressed that you worked with short, declarative sentences. Too many new authors use needlessly complicated or flowery prose. Your writing did not get in the way of your story. Also, kudos for tackling a complicated topic.

The biggest single distraction was your toggling between first and third person, sometimes in the same paragraph. This is a big problem. Second, your dialogue often lacked the emotion that the characters were trying to convey. Perhaps in some cases those sentences can get a little too simple and declarative? Try to write dialog more like people speak. People usually use contractions in conversation much more than you wrote. Good luck with your future writing.

teedeedubteedeedubalmost 8 years ago
superb

Thanks for sharing.

texquilltexquillover 7 years ago
WHAT A GREAT STORY!

I am amazed at the complexity of this wonderful story. The author is blessed with the ability to communicate through masterful use of the written word.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Very Good Story

So much more than just a "Romance" story. I had so many thoughts, so many

memories flash back as I read this story. I was a grunt Marine in Vietnam, my

unit was on a large-scale offensive operation in the very area of the My Lai

tragedy. We were there exactly 1 year after Lt Calley and his troops did their

damage. And we saw firsthand the damage that had been done toward the

relationship between American troops and the local people. They hated us

with a vitriol I had never seen before , or since.

Like I said, great story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Good read

The read was good. The story bounced a bit between character narratives and sometimes took a bit of rereading to figure who was making conversation, but that wasn't bad.

The sex was, in my estimation, awkward and unnecessary. I'd have left it out as it didn't add anything to the story.

My thought is that this was better than a four, not as good as a five - more like a 4.51 so I rounded it up.

A good story which with a few minor tweaks would be a great story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Fantastic Read

Please keep writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
A good read

I went back and re-read this story twice now. Everyone kept giving it great reviews and I thought maybe I just missed something here. I gave it 4 stars my first time through.

My main issue with the story is it didn't feel "romantic" to me. It was a powerful and emotional story about a man dealing with his past and learning to live again as a civilian, but even my second time reading I just didn't feel the emotion of the romantic relationship. I felt his emotion for all he had been through in the war and coming back to the world but I did not feel his emotion towards her.

Good Read, but didn't seem romantic.

h4751h4751over 7 years ago
Outstanding

As a veteran of 10 years of service in the Army, I can't say enough about your portrayal of the effects of war and atrocities on a service member. A lot of vets return with PTSD, and I'd guess only a relatively small percentage receive adequate counseling. Of course, things turn out ok as this is a romance genre story 😇. But it brings to mind the state of the country to returning Vietnam vets. Our society was openly disgusted with them, and many are still resentful. Thankfully our society is more respectful to vets now. Now I look forward to reading your other stories.

killerwhale681killerwhale681over 7 years ago
A very effective story

One of the best stories I've read in 55 years. Just got thru reading it the first time. Also just watched Korengal and Restrepo. Afghanistan. Oddly enough, I can see both sides. So, massacres happen. Always will.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Gr8

Please keep writing, I am from India and its so different there in US the way vetrans are treated, sad to know it now and have known through different movies and documentaries. Any ways nice story loved it

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Liked plot, writing not so much

I'm sorry I can't add to all the positive feedback. I mean, I like the plot but after about five pages in I gave up. The writing style is just not for me. The narrator changed in the middle of it (perhaps multiple times?), there was little dialogue (which seemed awkward/unrealistic sometimes) and emotional exposition, and things seemed to happen so fast and even unexpected sometimes.

I hope you don't become discouraged by feedback like this. I like the plot and description of the al Gatar incident. But I also hope that the writing of others can serve as inspiritation for yours in the future, should you keep on writing.

(Disclosure: First story by you I've read. Don't know when its from or if others exist.)

- R

TheOldRomanticTheOldRomanticover 7 years ago
Great story about the horror of the war

Great story. The war is ever one horror, but sometimes, are more terrific than others.

Is many people with posttraumatic stress after they return home from the war.

In this case, Jonas have the support of his family, Emily, her family, and many friends to help him.

5* for you.

I want to read more of yours stories.

I apologize for my English, is not my native language.

Kookaburra8Kookaburra8over 7 years ago
I must agree with GrandPaM comments .one last missing element..

I was very surprised no one else picked those two very glaring omissions which would have made this story more realistic, plus I too thought the story ended too abruptly. Still not a bad effort ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Simply Thank You

What more to say, ...?

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago

Absolutely the best, brought me to tears many times. This should be made into a movie, l think it would be extremely well received. Cudos to the writer for a very well presented and written story. Thank you for your efforts.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Amazing

I served for 12 months in Afghanistan

I hope we did not fail like this but if we did a man like this

Is the best of us.

It is hard when our enemy are atrocities as a victory and we

Try to abide by rules and morality

A great story

KRD19254KRD19254over 7 years ago
I see a sequel

I see a sequel; the investigation reopened due to media pressure and the families of the two lost Marines. The two families ambush him at a book signing asking some very pointed questions that bring up old ghosts to Jonas.

Jonas is reactivated to active duty for this investigation. Marine Afgan chain-of-command is keel-hauled and the chain up to Col receive letters of reprimand while the Captain is found to have exceed his orders making them illegal, demoted and stripped of commendations/medals and forced to leave the Corps with a less than General Discharge. The other Platoon Lt (with his political father) was also fount guilty but had a mental breakdown over loosing his two-men and the 29 non-combatants, he becomes mentally incapacitated and VA hospitalized for years. The Marines formal and publicly apologize to Jonas & Marx, siting his actions were what was expected of Marine Officers. Jonas receives the Silver Star for his humanity and valor. Jonas is now sought after as an inspirational and motivational speaker to businesses/schools/Congress. Jonas gets his PhD in History teaching at UC and guest lectures at his old high school. They have three children and he explains to them the horrors and responsibilities of combat.

Cardswin2011Cardswin2011about 7 years ago
Incredible.

Easily one of the two or three best stories I've read on any site. Ever. Congratulations, sir, you have created a wholly believable masterpiece.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago

Sequel please!!!!!

Handley_PageHandley_Pageabout 7 years ago
Bloody Marvellous

As a love story, it's great.

As a military conundrum, it's great.

In dealing with shell-shock, it's great (leading to a better understanding of that condition).

I think you handled the different characters and their attributes with good skill.

Frankly, I don't think it needs a sequel, unless that details what the Marines did to the 'guilty' parties; but that's hardly a Romance, is it.

Thank You

BigDchefBigDchefabout 7 years ago
Wow

Couldn't put it down from page 1 to 11 brilliant

gatorhermitgatorhermitabout 7 years ago
Amazing Story

This one has it all. Compelling plot. Excellent and credible dialogue. Romance. Honor and courage. As far as a sequel, I don't think it needs one. Wow.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
5

story! Annony is just a fucking pos!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Some gave all.

Wow has to be one of the most powerful and inspiring stories I have read anywhere. I've a few friends who were over there most never say anything but a couple have shared unasked, with me their story. I think most civilians never really understand or get a first hand account of what war is like and would benefit from reading this story.

Rhsc1Rhsc1about 7 years ago
So Far

I have read three of your stories and all ended up on my favorites list. All three are so varied in subject...with similar MO's...can't wait to read the rest. Thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
great

you are a good writer, I loved this story & read it in one sitting, I am a Vietnam Vet & now that stuff happens in any army. I am an Australian

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Damned goo

Well-told with credible events and people.

Thank you

HP

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Wow

Wow, an excellent story, all the way around. The only thing I have found, and maybe this is me, but characters are sometimes introduced, and I have a hard time determining if they are new, or last seen much earlier in the story. Very good, and thanks for writing.

mitchawamitchawaabout 7 years ago
Well Done Lieutentant

Great plot, three-dimensional characters, incisive dialogue, settings clearly presented, and raw emotions to the problems Jonas faced. Well written with clarity and meaning. The story was not what I expected on Literotica, but it was a winner in more that one way. My only negative thought was that the telling and retelling the story was redundant, meaning it could have been shortened. That's my opinion of a great story well told.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Malraux

Fuck. Wow. Poignant.

Thank you for sharing

boatbummboatbummalmost 7 years ago
Medal of Honor Worthy

Oops, sorry, they only award that for exceptional valor in combat against an enemy. Saving the lives of nearly 160 non-combatants doesn't count....

Now when Part 2 gets written (or imagined), we sure as hell expect Capt/Major/Lt Col Messina to get what't coming to him! Like hard time....

Superb story, thanks!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Get published

You should get published. So well written and riveting.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Wow!

The only complaint is that the sex scene is superfluous and slightly detracts from the story- not the typical complaint at this site! A nice story with a balanced look at serious issues.

LoadstoneLoadstonealmost 7 years ago
A good story poorly written

The premise was pretty good and had the markings of a potential great, but the execution fell well short.

Here's the thing: you can't build up a challenge or hurdle and then skip right over it. Yet, that's exactly what the author does...over and over:

1. The immediate aftermath, when he's in a foreign country having the full weight of the military and legal system pressed on him and nobody believes him except his lawyer, while suffering from PTSD and flashbacks. A fantastic opportunity to give the character some depth and show his strength, but it's skipped entirely and pretty much wrapped up in "he drinks a lot".

2. On return to civilian life, trying to reintegrate with society. Dealing with his drinking problem without being able to confide details of the event with anybody. Working as a teacher with teenagers who undoubtedly share traits with some of the soldiers and noncombatants, as a constant reminder of what he's trying to move on from. Yet instead of doing any of this, the author just skips two years.

3. Literally anything to add some depth to the "romance". The day after they start dating the two-year jump happens, so the whole romance feels fake and pointless.

I'll credit the author with remaining relatively apolitical through the whole story, which was a big plus. The whole "over-dependence on intel" theme seems flimsy as a driving force, but not enough to really bother me when used as a sort of object lesson. Same with the frequent perspective changes: I wasn't a fan, but I could live with it.

I read this because of its rating. Were it not for the rating, I would have stopped by page 6. Clearly, based on its rating, most other readers don't agree with me.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Great concept, written poorly.

The concept is too good. love it. But the writing could be better. Especially the narrative. You mixed up third person with first person. otherwise a great story....

guybguybalmost 7 years ago
3rd time reading

I guess I don't fuss over unimportant things to me, I just enjoying the wonderful flow of the story. To me it was very true to the story, relating to a injured soul, and recovering with love and compassion. Thank you for your fine work!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
enjoyable!!!

being a dumb ass. it's refreshing. slap hapy papy #9

ukdukeukdukeover 6 years ago
A wonderful story

An excellent story told with a calm restraint that made it all the more powerful.

Well done and thankyou!

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
No words...

Simply an amazing story with just enough that you feel it's more than true.

Thank you for sharing your stories on lit for free...it is truly our pleasure.

C

Ramjet75Ramjet75over 6 years ago
What can I say...

I cried repeatedly reading this. THANK YOU.

There is a reason we say War is Hell.

My damage is no where near Jonas' But even after 23 years it still hits me out of the blue.

Msgt, USAF, Ret.

SoleSurvivor1969SoleSurvivor1969over 6 years ago
48 years

It's been.

Sometimes I scream through the tears.

Bless you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Great story

I laughed, I cried, such an amazing story!

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Dear Malraux

I meant the title as a sentiment to you.

After reading several of your stories, you are now my favorite author on Literotica.

Paul in Oklahoma

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago

This, by turns, left me uplifted, sad, angry, happy, hopeful, vindicated and ultimately content. A tremendous story very well written. Thank you.

BAnde53507BAnde53507over 6 years ago
Good Story but a Critique

I liked the way you developed his story. Jonas and Emily’s story was not as detailed as it could have been. The connection between them was not sufficiently expressed.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Why didn't the school board kick the asshole off their board?

The school board member who wanted to fire Jonas should have been kicked off of the school board. He was an idiot who was too lasy to read the report. He assumed the worst from the front page of the report. Typical of a redneck Republican!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago

I agree with the individual who thought the school board member who judged without reading all the report should have been removed from the board but I definitely disagree that he was a redneck republican. I firmly believe he had to be a snowflake who as most idiot liberals judges people with very little or no information. I served in the Marine Corps and served in Viet Nam. I believe that the other platoon commanders and those above Jonas should have been charged with crimes too maybe even higher than the battalion commander but as the saying goes " shit rolls down hill ". This story was outstanding written by an author who is a great writer. Congratulations!!!

HDVictory1HDVictory1about 6 years ago
A different kind of romance

Really liked the story. Although, the romance aspect was quite understated, I think that the soul bonding over the characters issues was endearing.

And how can you go wrong with a Bartleby the Scrivner reference. Shows a knowledge of literature that is wonderful. After all, why reimagine a way to say something that Melville already has

Thanks for posting.

TailakaTailakaabout 6 years ago
A really well written story

This is wholly demonstrative of your skill at writing. The romance while understated was really a goal of Jonas'. I think his relationship and marriage was part of his acceptance and understanding of everything that happened to him.

OvercriticalOvercriticalabout 6 years ago
Clearly in the wrong category

I often comment that it makes no difference where a story is placed in the Literotica constellation of topics, but in this case the story argues for a new genre. There should be a place for morality tales although eroticism would not necessarily be a part of the stories. This story does have a moral to it and although it is obvious and perhaps too clearly defined (life is rarely so clearly obvious in its meaning) there is a powerful message here. I disagree that the Emily/Jonas romance isn't well enough defined - it is really the secondary plot feature to this story.

I do think that the Captain who gave the orders at the massacre is too clearly a villain. I believe that modern warfare where combatants do not wear uniforms, where soldiers place civilians in their midst to act as decoys and shields, where women carry weapons and bring bombs to kill our troops and children carry rifles and shoot at our warriors make the real world a lot more muddy than is painted in this story here. By saying that there were NO men of fighting age and NO combatants the story is a lot more black and white than the facts on the ground probably would dictate. Adding a note of ambiguity to the story it would be a lot more realistic and although the "hero" would be less clearly heroic it would probably lend a tone of real world to it that would make the story even more believable. But then it wouldn't be as satisfying to read and wouldn't garner the hoard of 5* ratings this one did - mine included.

DogFuzzDogFuzzabout 6 years ago
Wow!!!

What an in-depth story on so many topics. The military in combat situations, combat stress on the people, both military & civilian impacts. The political after events, family friends, mates and the country as a whole. This author made the reader consider all of the emotions involved in a great depth and to reflect how we might have felt had we been personally involved. I was so Impacted that I had to stop my reading several times to regain my composure. Wow, many thanks to his taking the time, effort and emotion to write this story. Top marks!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Best story

Easily your best story. You cover struggles in life, particularly for those who have been pushed aside. The reader can really see the relationship growth and the character of the main characters. Very well written and a great read.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
I loved the story and have read it several times, always a 5 star

But we DID find weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. Just not what people normally think as weapons of mass destruction. We found a few chemical weapons, most sent to Syria being used today to wipe out whole villages. So no atomic bombs but in development at a lower level than EVERYBODY believed. Chemical weapons can kill several million people in a city like New York City if weather conditions are right. THAT is a weapon of mass destruction, just not a destructive as an atomic bomb. SO YES WE DID...

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
what a gripping story!

This is a phenomenally gripping story that i found impossible to stop reading!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Super!!!

An excellent story!!! I had hoped for another chapter, an epilogue, but I'm happy with how you ended it. Thank you!

HenwynHenwynalmost 6 years ago
A comment without title

A very good story well told. The problem that I have with it is the problem I have with stories in general and that I haven't found a good answer or response to; that they are stories and yet they change and limit how we perceive and respond to reality. It's been 50 years since I was in Vietnam and the stories I tell myself have changed over the years. There are actions I took that I considered to be correct at the time, where I still cannot come up with a better response, probably just because I didn't at the time and therefore have no idea what might have been better or how others might have reacted, and that pretty much erased anything of value that I had accomplished. That is, of course, what war is and morality is a poor fit in combat, especially because cultural and community values do not match up between combatants or even between allies. It's another area where the older I get the more I am aware of my ignorance and limitations. On the other hand, stories are how we try to somehow order or make sense our experience. Anyway, thanks for your story. I appreciated it and favorited it.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
@anon 2/7/18

Snowflakes don't get elected in small town America, if they run at all. Granted this is a romanticized version of same, without the meth and heroin addicts offering to suck cock in front of Taco Bell, but some real world rules would still apply.

Anyway, it's a great story but let's keep the politics out of it as both parties are royally fucking us.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userMalraux@Malraux
2041 Followers
Former athlete, serviceman, teacher, proofreader, warehouse man, student, coach. Still reader, writer, hiker, sport pilot. Like Hemingway, Styron, sports, planes that stall at 40 mph, grass landing strips, honesty, and women. Wish I were an expert at something.

SIMILAR Stories

Save One Love 
4.9
1.6k
490
Irish Eyes 
4.82
3.5k
785
The Promise 
4.9
2.3k
638
Hero's Reward 
4.85
3.6k
926
Sales Team 
4.83
3.8k
860
More Stories