Kate and Edith Too Pt. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Liz picked up there, "And that is one of the things Jen and I talked about this morning. We were both up early and ended up having coffee out here. The first thing Jen asked me was if I regretted 'sharing' you, last night. And my immediate response was no, but I took time and thought about it, questioning myself, making certain. I'm not completely sure why I am so comfortable with it, with sharing you, but I did conclude a few things. First of all, I trust you and I have complete faith in our relationship and our love for each other. Second, I just don't see my sister as competition for your affection. I know to an outsider that might sound ludicrous, but that is how it is. The fact that I also trust Jen, trust that she would never try to come between us, never try to steal you from me, makes it possible for me to not see her as an interloper. Third, I believe you have the capacity to care for, and love Jen without taking away from your love for me or your devotion and commitment to me...Honey?"

I guess I had a look on my face. I nodded, "I see what you're saying and I do understand, mostly. It's just that while you were talking, I realized one reason I was having so much trouble with this. For me, if roles were reversed, I couldn't, in a million years, imagine sharing you with my brother, if I had one, under these same circumstances, or any for that matter. I just couldn't. And I know there's a different dynamic there - men and women are wired differently. And individuals are all wired differently, at least a little, sometimes a lot. So, what's good for the goose isn't necessarily always good for the gander."

Liz remarked, "Right; that's right, honey. I agree. And yes, I don't entirely understand it, but I do know 'how I feel' and I am comfortable with it. Which brings up the next issue - where we go from here."

"Where do we go?" I asked. Honestly, I was just getting my head around what we did last night.

"Well, Jen and I had a long discussion about that, and we reached a very 'mutual' decision, for our part. Of course, how you feel about it, what you think, want, that will determine if we go in the direction we think will work. So, we would like to make our proposal to you."

"Okay," I nodded.

Liz grasped my hand and squeezed it, So, it boils down to this: For the near term - until Jen can get a place of her own, and establish a life of her own, and...start over, so to speak, she, 'and I', want you to consider her your 'also' wife."

It took me a full minute to come up with a response, but they waited.

"I, um, don't...I don't know what to think. I mean, how? How would that work?"

"Well, you will treat Jen in the same manner you do me - as your wife. We discussed a little about how to do that, but decided 'not' to try an 'engineer' things, but just let it evolve, like our relationships have thus far. When we encounter issues, like we have, and like we will, we will just work through them."

I had nagging doubts, but couldn't really focus on anything in particular, other than, "This is just weird."

But that is where we left it. That is where we started, and how I came to have my "Kate and Edith, too."

III. PARIDIGM CHANGE

Over the next few months, we did settle in to what I can only describe as a "normal routine." Of course, our arrangement was strictly private; we never shared it publicly with anyone, or functioned that way outside our home.

In time, with our help, Jen reestablished her credit. The first step towards Jen becoming independent, was to develop financial independence. My banker agreed to finance a vehicle purchase in her name (I sold her my Forester, which she liked and it was in good shape, and of course I gave her a great deal), and she was able to get her first credit card.

In January of this year, Liz's boss, Rob, informed her that a golfing buddy was looking for help with renovating and older home he had just purchased. He was a corporate lawyer who had lost his home in a recent divorce and had to get his own place. I met with him at the property, which had been built in the 60's, a custom home in the foothills on several acres. It was a unique house with good bones, but was in poor esthetic condition and suffered from a lot of architectural obsolescence.

It was going to be a big job, the biggest I had undertaken to date. When we started mapping out the reno, David, the homeowner, had no idea how he wanted to proceed with finishes, appliances, color schemes, hardware. His ex-wife had always handled those issues. But he wanted to be certain the home would be appealing to a future missus, so didn't want it to end up too masculine. I know a couple good interior designers, but after a moment's consideration, I suggested my wife and sister-in-law could help with that, and he thought that was a marvelous idea.

One Saturday, Liz, Jen and I met with him at the property.

"David, this is my wife, Elizabeth, and her sister, Jennifer," I started introductions.

"Pleased to meet you both. I appreciate you taking your time to help me," David replied, shaking hands with both.

"Liz, please," my wife answered.

"Nice to meet you, David," Jen replied.

During the course of our tour through the house, Liz and I both noticed that David was obviously attracted to Jen. And though, she was polite, she didn't seem to reciprocate.

When we returned home, it was late afternoon and we had an early dinner of pot roast that was already prepared. After dinner, we settled in the living room for drinks. Liz floated a balloon.

"David seems nice. Rob speaks highly of him."

I added, "Yeah, I've liked working with him so far. He knows nothing about houses or construction, but he's sharp, pays close attention and asks good questions. I think he's going to be great to work with."

"And he's a handsome devil," Liz quipped. "How old do you think he is?"

I answered, "I found out he is 41. In passing, he mentioned his divorce was finalized on his 41st birthday."

"He was attracted to you, Jen," Liz continued.

"You think so?"

"Oh, come on, sis! He wasn't trying to hide it," Liz chided.

"Mm hmm, I guess."

I spoke up, "Jen, I'm a guy, and I could see he was taken with you. And I agree with Liz, he's a 'handsome devil'. So, what did you think?"

"Well, yes, he is good-looking. Why are we discussing this?"

Liz threw the 'bullshit flag', "Jen, honey, you're kidding, right - a handsome, eligible, obviously 'well-off' bachelor who is attracted to you...what about it? Aren't you interested? Hell, I was interested!" She gave me a coquettish smile and playful shrug of her shoulders.

"Fine, he might be a good catch. I just..."

When she hesitated, Liz pressed, "What is it, Jen? I mean, when was the last time, you met someone who might show promise in the 'romance' department?"

Jen took a sip of her drink, looked at me, and back at Liz, "I guess I haven't been looking for 'romance'...I wasn't looking at him, at David, that way."

I was as surprised as Liz was. She asked, "Okay, why not..."

"Liz, I, um, well, for one, I don't know if I'm ready to venture out there, yet..."

Liz waited a beat, and when Jen didn't continue, she pressed, "And, two?"

Jen, obviously vexed, replied, "I don't know how to say this without it sounding wrong..."

I tried, "It's okay, Jen. If you're not ready, then you're not ready. Or if you don't think David is a possibility, then that's okay, too. But if it's something else, I would hope you would feel that you could share it with us."

She nodded, "Yes, Jack, I...I'm sorry....Okay, it's not so much that I'm afraid to step out there; and David did seem very nice, and yes, he is quite handsome. And yes, he is the only the second man that, um, I have met since I've been here, that I could find myself interested in..."

Liz and I looked at each other, and simultaneously asked, "Who was the first? Do we know him, or was it someone you met..."

"I'm talking about you, Jack," she interrupted, "and that's the issue."

Liz and I were both perplexed. Liz asked, "How is that an issue?"

"Well, I...I feel like...like I would be cheating on Jack if I showed interest in another..."

"Cheating?" I exclaimed, really caught by surprise. Jen's reaction was immediate. She instantly gave me a hurt look.

I reached for Jen's hand, "I'm sorry, honey. I um, I know we have been, are in a unique relationship, and I feel completely grateful that you care for me that much, that you love me that much. And I love you, deeply. I do. But I don't expect you to...forsake your future, the possibility of a future with someone of your own..."

Liz interrupted, "Sis, Jack isn't trying to get rid of you. But eventually, you have to find someone...move on. If not David, someone."

Jen was tearing up. I could feel her hand shaking in mine.

"Jen, honey, I am probably the luckiest guy in the world. But I don't think it's right for you to...to settle for this...having to share me."

She nodded, "I um, just...I've come to feel...like I 'am' your wife, and that I would be acting unfaithfully if...if I gave attention, showed interest in another man..."

She halted, and dropped her eyes, tears freely running down her face. I got up from my chair, pulled Jen up and wrapped her in my arms.

"Jen, honey, don't think for one second that I don't treasure what we have together. I do. And your happiness is very important to me. And though what we have is special, it is not the final answer for you. It isn't, honey. Can you see that?"

She nodded into my shoulder, then lifted her head and looked into my eyes, "So, if I found someone, David or someone like him, and I 'fell' for him, you wouldn't feel like..."

"Jen, if you...'when' you find someone who is worthy of you and that you can fall in love with, I will be ecstatic, very happy for you, and grateful, no less so than I am when it comes to Liz's happiness. That said, when the time comes for you to move on, I will hurt; it will leave a big hole in my heart. There is no way to avoid that. You have come to matter too much to me for it to be otherwise. And I will not stop loving you, caring for you, and I believe that for you, it will be the same. We will always have this bond we now share, and we will always have our memories, wonderful memories. But you 'will' find that someone special, someone you can make a 'lifetime' of memories with. That has to be the goal. But until you do, I am right here for you.

All that said, it is my hope that you will at least give some consideration to David, see if there can be anything there. If nothing else, get your feet wet, go on a date if the opportunity presents itself. You are too terrific a person, too wonderful a woman, to not give yourself a chance to have 'more' in your life, to get the most out of it."

I gently placed a hand behind her head, pulled her to me and kissed her as tenderly as I could. I felt Liz behind, wrapping her arms around me, laying her head on my back.

Eventually we disengaged from our kiss and Jen put her head back on my shoulder.

As we stood there wrapped in each other's arms, Liz softly suggested, "Let's go make love."

IV. EPILOGUE - OUR DIVORCE

The next weekend, after I had developed a basic proposal for David's remodel and renovation, I invited him to our house for lunch and a planning session, where we laid out all the design options that would have to be considered and decided upon. After lunch, we gathered in my home office to look at different catalogues for appliances, light and plumbing fixtures, and flooring options. After a short time, David threw in the towel.

"Jack, honestly, I would be happy for you and your team here to make the decisions. But I would like to compensate your wife and Jen for their time. Could we work that out?"

"Liz, Jen, what do you think? I asked.

"Honey, I think Jen could handle this, just fine. Jen?"

"Are you sure, Liz?"

"Sure, of course. We don't need both of us for this. You have impeccable taste."

"That sounds like a great plan to me, if Jennifer consents..." David remarked.

"Well, I can't say I don't like doing this, if you're sure?" Jen replied.

"Alright then," I concluded, "You work with Jen, and I'll work with her, and if I have any concerns, we'll get together and work them out."

We had a couple drinks and David commented on our place, especially the backyard and pool.

"Yes, we live out there until it gets too cold. Jack keeps the pool heated until the nighttime temps get into the low 50's," Liz explained.

"I'd be interested in a pool. Do you think we could put one in?" David asked.

"Yes, I think so. You have the room. We'll have to do some soil tests and a few bore holes to look for rock structures that would interfere. I know an excellent contractor. We'll check it out next week."

"Great. Well, I'm going to let you enjoy the rest of your day. Jennifer, I look forward to working with you. I know you'll take good care of me."

"Yes, I'll do my best, David. And you may call me Jen, if you like."

We said our goodbyes, and since it was after four, we decided to freshen up, change and go to dinner. At dinner, we discussed the turn of events, and convinced Jen it was a great idea.

"Besides," I pointed out, "the money will be good." I explained the normal fee structure for an interior designer, and I don't know if that was the deciding factor, or her attraction to David; but it gave her an excuse to accept the idea.

It took two months for David to ask Jen out, and she accepted. After that, we only slept together two more times. By the time the project was finished, Jen and David were an item. She finally admitted that they had slept together. Of course, Liz had to ask how it went.

Jen blushed, "Um, really sis...Okay, it was very nice."

"That's all you have to say?" she kept at her, "Do you care for him, have feelings for him?"

"Yes, I think I'm falling for him."

I spoke up, "Jen, I think it's time we got divorced."

"What, you mean..."

"I think you know; we can't continue now. I mean with you cheating on me..."

"Jack!" Jen protested.

Liz laughed, but Jen took a few moments, then grinned, "You're right, honey. Of course, we can still fool around."

As of this writing, he has asked her to consider moving in with him, and she hasn't accepted yet, but we're hopeful.

And no, we haven't 'fooled around'.

THE END

Of

KATE AND EDITH TOO

12