All Comments on 'Kiravi's Travelogue Ch. 05'

by RifkinMacDonald

Sort by:
  • 8 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Great story!

Nicely done, thank you for sharing it with us. Keep it coming!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
My 2 cents

I love this story. Great characters and story line. I look forward to reading more. Thanks for your time and your imagination.

RifkinMacDonaldRifkinMacDonaldover 3 years agoAuthor

Mrs here! Thank you both for your great comments and we look forward to providing you with more chapters in the near future!

warelliswarellisover 3 years ago
Grewt story, sex, and worldbuilding

I really find this entire storyline neat. Not only is the framing interesting, the idea of setting it in an early Bronze Age-style settijg, as opposed to a more stock "medieval fantasy" (more like ewrly Renaissance) setting ala Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk [to use D&D settings] really adds interesting differences.

Also, the sex is great. :D

Considering how the world is pretty fleshed out from the bits we've seen through Kiravi and his companions' travels, do you use this setting for any tabletop RPG system?

I ask this because I'm liking the little touches on the world we see in the stories, such as the currency being like obsidian flakes and such instead of gold coins, for example.

RifkinMacDonaldRifkinMacDonaldover 3 years agoAuthor

@warellis

Husband half of the team here! Short answer is yes, the entire setting is spun (wildly out of control) out of an attempt to create a novel RPG setting using the early Bronze Age instead of the High Middle Ages or Early Modern Period. At the time I was running Pathfinder games (incidentally part of how I dated the Mrs.) and this setting morphed out of my attempt to apply Pathfinder rules to the time period. I still run the games from time to time with massively more homebrewed rules, but I suppose you could see some of the influences here in the stories as well! Thanks for the input and the question, we love to interact with you readers!

warelliswarellisover 3 years ago

@RifkinMacdonald

Since this originally started with Pathfinder, and since all the races mentioned appear to be variations on humans (I think?), do the various races here have different starting ages and aging tables? Or would they all just use the standard default Pathfinder human starting age/aging numbers?

As for the currency, do you have ideas on how it breaks down, like "X obsidian flakes = Y seashells" and etc? Like how 10 silver pieces = 1 gold piece, for example.

One of the neat things, of a Bronze age setting like this, is also seeing differences in weapons and armor, and items in general, compared to more standard settings due to differences in metallurgy skill.

If this is a spoiler, you can just say so and refuse to answer, but since apparently the variations on magic and magic users [arcane vs divine & sorcerers, clerics, and wizards/magi] are already known here, has there been any exploration of any other planes yet? Because it seems like some knowledge of potential afterlife realms and such is known.

I apologize if these all seem like weird questions, but honestly, the worldbuilding just really adds to it. And it being based on a homebrew setting originally for Pathfinder makes it even more interesting for me. :D

Hmm do you have a site where worldbuilding stuff is posted?

RifkinMacDonaldRifkinMacDonaldover 3 years agoAuthor

@warellis

Thank you for the reply and the questions! Some I can certainly answer (they'd probably be touched on in one of my chapter forewords eventually anyways) while others would, unfortunately, be too spoileriffic. As for the lifespans for different races, they're all based on what we know about pre-modern humans and our other ancestors/cousins in the Homo genus. Infant mortality is still high, especially outside of the proto-civilizations like Anghoret, and the world Kiravi lives in is still a scary, dangerous, chaotic place, so a forty-year-old is entering the "honored elder" realm. So, Humans, Enges, Orgos, and the other races we havent met yet all have similar lifespans. The only wrinkle is the Bhakhuri and their descendants, who's Huri parentage can radically affect their lifespan for good or ill (I think I briefly touched on that in Ch 02).

As for currency, the idea of currency is still in it's prototypical state. The small flakes Kiravi uses to pay for things are essentially the same thing as the Mesopotamian shekel, i.e. a "receipt" for a certain amount of food turned in to the local mayor. The tanner Kiravi bought the breastplate for Leotie from could, for example, take those flakes to the local Mayor's granary to draw out X amount of food. If/when Kiravi and company leave Anghoret, the entire concept of currency will likely be left behind as well.

In an effort to avoid spoilers, I'll just hit the wavetops of this next question: mortals know that there are gods, because when they pray to the different factions they receive a tangible reward (magic). They also know SOMETHING happens when they ritualize burials, but not much else. Beyond that, a lot of it is conjecture by mortal priests, so you'll see two different cultures worship the same group of gods in very different ways. There IS a very fleshed out cosmology beyond Kiravi's planet, but it is extremely beyond our band's understanding (for now)!

Currently, we don't have a website, but if this continues to build momentum we'll certainly look into putting something together!

LwcbyLwcbyabout 2 years ago

Didn’t like this one at all... He had two women then let one Cuck him. The new bad guy wtfe. I’ll try one more...

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userRifkinMacDonald@RifkinMacDonald
Husband and wife team that enjoys sci-fi/fantasy roleplay and world-building! 03AUG22: For any and all that have been waiting for Kiravi updates or for New Imperium and Over the Hill White Knight to take on lives of their own, thank you for your patience and interest! Unfortu...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES