All Comments on 'Kono, Futa Drow Ranger Ch. 02'

by Konokei

Sort by:
  • 3 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 month ago

Eighty plus pounds for her armour? Medieval European armour ranged from thirty five to fifty five pounds and it was distributed well across the body with the hips taking the weight off the shoulders knights could and did walk, run and train in full armour. The heavier armour, on the fifty five pound end would be jousting or tournament armour and not worn in actual combat. I know it's a minor grievance with the stroy but you'd assume fantasy armour would be better and not worse than historical armour in this regard, her huffing and puffing as she walked in the armour ruined my immersion somewhat.

KonokeiKonokeiabout 1 month agoAuthor

I did quite a bit of research in regard to wearing a full set of plate. The one in the story is both a full set of plate as well as a thick chain hauberk beneath. Based on various sources the hauberk would weigh in at about 40 pounds while the plate would weigh slightly less at around 35. Total these add up to around 80. I think my final number is too heavy as a set designed for a woman's more slender body would be lighter, but the purpose of emphasizing the weight is mainly to show that Kono's planning is part of her strength as a ranger. If I were to readjust the weight I probably would put it around 65-70.

As for travel, yes I am aware that most knights rode horses while they were suited up. Kono does not ride a horse and thus suffers from fatigue traveling in her full set. Normally she wears a more reasonable lamellar armor set which would weigh 15-25 pounds and only protect her chest and waist/upper thighs. I would imagine this to be something like a late Byzantine piece, or even something with a Japanese or Arabic flavor if that suits the reader's tastes.

As for agility in combat, we see her sprint, roll, and fight with a slashing weapon. So I do not weigh down her dexterity because of the armor.

Thank you for the comment, I do my best to make the combat and equipment as "realistic" as possible to stand out in a genre full of studded leather (lol) and evil black swords or whatever.

SubbyMissElSubbyMissEl22 days ago

I love how you even did research on armor weight. Kono is sooo hot and i love the way you write drow. Looking forward to more chapters

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous