Legal Affair

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I stormed through the flat. Roger was out and it was a good job or I'd have done him some serious damage. I went back to the kitchen and put the kettle on to give me time to think. I could and probably should report this but somehow I knew that wouldn't be good for me either. No, I need to kick him out but I still need to protect myself.

I locked the door and left the key in to stop him from opening it. I set my phone to record video and documented what I'd found. I took the herbal and reefer to the toilet and flushed them. I wiped the coffee table to ensure that there were no traces left.

Then I headed to Roger's room and using a torch started in one corner and searched. I'd done plenty of detailed searches in my time; care and a methodical approach were required. I checked the surfaces, under the bed; I opened every drawer and cupboard. I unfolded every item of clothing and then I found something that surprised me in a rolled-up sock; a small bag of white powder, maybe four or five grams, a small bag containing some herbal residue but which had obviously contained a couple of ounces, some small bags and a roll of cash. I was sweating when I saw it and went to my oversize shoulder bag where I kept a few evidence bags and a small presumptive test kit for cocaine that had been there for many months but which would be useful. I propped my phone up to record as I examined what I'd found. The white powder was cocaine and the roll of cash amounted to £440 but inside it was a small piece of paper. It was written in code but I knew that it was either a record of sales or a 'tick list.' It didn't matter which one it was, this could cause me heaps of trouble if he ever got caught. I flushed the drugs then I packed all of his belongings into his suitcase, a rucksack and a couple of bin bags.

By the time I was done it was after 1 am and I settled down on the couch with a blanket. I must have fallen asleep and Roger hadn't come back. It was 6 am when I made tea, then showered and dressed. I started cleaning and went at it with a real purpose. Roger's room got a thorough going over; no one was going to find any traces of anything in this house.

It was almost noon when I heard a key in the door. I unlocked it and he was standing there with a stupid look on his face. "Hey sis, you had me locked out. What gives?"

I grabbed his shirt and pulled him inside. "You're a fucking idiot and a thoughtless one at that. I warned you about drugs and you chose to ignore that."

"What are you talking about?"

I was boiling with rage but I spelt out what I'd found and what I'd done.

"You got rid of the stuff? Christ, I would have shifted it."

"No dickhead, I'm a cop remember, it's gone. There's your money and that list, which by the way would be great evidence against you for dealing." I pointed to the table. "Your clothes and possessions are packed and lying there. You're out for good; I don't want you here any longer."

"You can't kick me out, I'm your brother. Where will I go?"

"Like I give a fuck. You should have thought about that before you brought drug dealing into this house, my house. I can kick you out, I just have. I don't care where you go and I don't care if I ever see you again. You've used and abused me so you can fuck off. Keys please!"

He protested and pleaded but he realised that I wasn't going to change my mind. He gathered his stuff and muttered a few threats before leaving. As soon as he'd left I headed to a small hardware store in Great Western Road and brought new internals for the locks. I spent an hour changing them over.

That evening I went over to see Janice and Pete. I told them the whole story and asked them to store a copy of the videos that I'd recorded. I needed some form of protection and that was the best I could come up with.

I went to bed shattered that evening and slept through until the phone woke me sometime after 9 am. It was my mother. She wanted to know what I was thinking of by kicking Roger out, so I told her the whole story and what could have happened. She called me a liar, a bitch and a few other choice insults. I was furious.

"Mum, I'm a police officer and proud of my work. That rocket could have got me fired and him the jail. He was warned the first time so he's out. You seem to think I'm making this up, well I'm not and I've documented it all. Unless you change your attitude don't call me again, in fact, not until you're ready to apologise." I hung up. It was a sad situation but I wasn't prepared to be the one who was at fault here.

I was miserable all day. Somehow I felt bad but I knew that I shouldn't.

A date and a plan

In the middle of the week, I went to see Valerie Harper in action during a jury trial. She was good, very good and Rachel was sitting beside her. When they broke for lunch I went over and Rachel introduced me to Valerie. I suggested lunch in the cafeteria. This was never going to win a Michelin star but the food was edible. We talked through the case and some of the other things I'd been working on.

"Look, Helen, what you've done turned this iffy case into one that I think I can get a conviction on. I've seen what you've been doing for Rachel or with Rachel and I think that the two of you are doing good work. The problem is this, it's going to take a while to change the police culture and there only two of you. There's a limit as things stand."

"At least someone thinks that we're making a difference." I was happy with her comments.

"There's another problem for you though." Valerie smiled at me and I wondered what was coming.

"I think you're pretty good and when I have a problem you're going to be near the top of my list to call. That will not just be for domestic and sexual assault cases."

"Thanks, I think." Valerie headed off to make some calls and it left Rachel and me on our own.

"I never had the chance to ask how your date with 'The Hunk' went." She rolled her eyes.

"He's a nice bloke and it was a lovely evening but he's not for me, no chemistry. My mother was beside herself when I told her how I felt. I've got to move back in with them soon, our lease ran out and my friend is moving in with her boyfriend."

"I kicked my brother, step-brother, out. I have a spare room in the West End near the Botanic Gardens."

"That's kind of you, but a flat there is very fancy. Do you own it?"

"My Dad left me money when he died. It's a piece of him that he left me and it's my refuge, a constant that no one can take away."

"So why did you kick your step-brother out?"

"Please keep this to yourself. I found some drugs and it looks like he might have been dealing, not from the house and I only found a minute quantity but the signs were there. My mother called me a liar, a bitch and several other unpleasant things. It'll be a while till we speak again but she lives with Roger's father in Mallorca."

"Wow, that could have caused you a nightmare."

"I know."

"So I never asked you how the swimming went." We spent five minutes talking about Megan.

"You love her that's clear. I checked out Samantha Fish, by the way, she's good and she's rather attractive."

"She is. Not my type but if she came on to me I wouldn't turn her down."

"What is your type?" I was tempted to describe her but thought better of it.

"I'm not sure. I want someone to share my life with, to love, for us to care for each other, to laugh and cry with. I've not found her yet."

"Same here." She looked sad. I sat thinking.

"What are you doing on Friday evening?" She looked surprised. "Do you fancy having dinner with me? I'm not asking you on a date but I do like working with you and it won't do us any harm to get to know each other more."

Her face lit up and she smiled which melted my heart. "Okay, that would be nice."

The week passed quickly, it was very busy and all too soon it was Friday. I'd booked a table at Number 16, a restaurant at the bottom of Byres Road and met Rachel there at 7 pm. She looked great, a nice dress, hair done and a huge smile.

"You look good. It's nice to see you out of uniform."

I laughed. "I dress for practicality at work. This is more my style."

"I love your hair down, it suits you."

Dinner was good. I enjoyed the food and wine. We talked about my Dad, her parents and older sister.

"How's the swimming going with your niece?"

"Good, but tomorrow will only be our second time. She's not actually my niece but ..."

"Sorry is that a sore point?"

"I just love her and wish that she was mine. But Janice and Pete are great parents. I made a new will a couple of weeks ago and have left everything to her. There's no one else. I suppose I could have made Janice my beneficiary but ..."

"That's kind of you and a practical solution if there's no other family. She sounds like fun."

"She is. Does your sister have kids?"

"She has a six-year-old, Molly. I've never spent much time with just her, maybe I should."

At the end of the meal, we went for a drink in a nearby pub and about 11 pm we parted and I walked home. I thought about her a great deal, she was gorgeous and very sexy. I'd love to get to know her more intimately but it seemed that her interest was in men, despite having a limited love life. Nothing about this made any sense to me, why was I so interested in her?

The next morning my only thoughts were about Megan. Janice laughed at us from the side of the pool as we splashed and giggled in the water. Megan liked jumping towards me and didn't seem to care if she missed or not. She was completely fearless in the water and that would have to change but we'd had fun. After we changed I took the two of them to lunch and the choice this time was pizza.

"Helen, Pete and I have been invited to a company dance next weekend, it's in Stirling and there's accommodation organised. Pete's mum was going to take Megan but she's gone to look after her sister in Inverness who's not well and ..." She left the rest hanging and I didn't get where this was going at first. Then the penny dropped.

"Wait, you want me to look after Megan for the weekend? Please tell me that's what you want?"

"We'd hoped to do the Sunday night there as well, back about Monday lunchtime but you'd be working."

"No, I'm not, I have a half-day that day or a late shift I can't remember which. Please let me do this, please."

"That's a big fat lie but if you're sure, okay." I was beaming, this was great, I'd have so much fun, we'd have so much fun.

We went shopping after lunch and Megan looked longingly at a lovely dress in one of those kid's shops in Byres Road. She tugged at Janice's hand and pointed. "I don't think so young lady."

"Janice, what's wrong with you. She'd suit that."

"She would, but where would she wear that?"

"The two of us are going out to dinner next week whilst you and Pete are away. That would be perfect."

"Mum, please."

"Janice, say nothing." I looked at Megan, "This time we're going to ignore your mum, come on." She grabbed my hand and we went to try the dress on. Janice stood shaking her head muttering about how much it cost. I almost cried she looked so wonderful. When we got back to their house Pete also tried to chastise me.

"Pete, you're a lovely man and Janice is lucky. She has you and me as her best friend, but as much as I love the two of you, Megan is the love of my life. I'll treat her and love her as long as you let me. You two deserve to have some alone time next weekend and I deserve your daughter all to myself."

"Thanks, Hell. Janice was lucky when the two of you sat together all those years ago."

"I was lucky as well but not only did I get her, I got you and Megan. I'm the one who did best out of this."

My priority on Monday morning was to see the DCI and get Monday off. When I told him what I wanted and why he just told me to take the day free. "You've worked like a dog on this project and I know that your niece is pretty special to you."

We also discussed my work and he seemed happy with the progress.

Rachel was buoyant when I spoke to her on the phone and asked me to drop in and see her later in the week.

I headed up to her office using the ID card she'd arranged for me and took her favourite coffee and some sandwiches. We sat talking about work for a while and then she said, "We're having lunch, no more work talk for the next twenty minutes. I took your advice and took Molly, my niece, out for the day last weekend. I may be in love, it was such fun. I bought her a dress and my sister went mad. Well, she told me off for being daft but I loved it and so did she. I'm going to see more of her."

"That's great. I took Megan shopping and her Mum was annoyed because I bought her a dress as well. But the best thing is they're going away for a couple of days this weekend and I get to look after Megan."

"That's great. I'm babysitting on Saturday as well."

I sat thinking for a moment. "How about we meet up at some point, with the kids, it might be fun?"

I could see Rachel thinking as well. "Did you say that you lived near the Botanic Gardens? I love that place and I could take Molly. We could meet there."

"Great idea." We fixed the details and then got back to work. Things were going better than we'd expected and the quality of reports was showing a slight improvement. Rachel handed me a long list of things that she needed, that would take some time to sort out.

The picnic

I collected Megan on Saturday morning with her stuff for the weekend, most importantly her teddy bear, Edward, what else? There was lots of splashing and fooling around in the pool, she tried to swim and after a tough twenty minutes managed a short distance, but that was enough, she was only four. A few more minutes jumping in and we were done.

I needed some food so we went to the supermarket, something that I don't like that much but with Megan, it was fun and a little silly. By the time we were done I had enough food for a couple of weeks and lots of stuff I'd probably never eat. It was a lovely day so I included a few things for a picnic.

Megan had been in my home before but not for a while and she was now old enough to want to check things out. Her teddy was placed on the bed in the spare room and that made her happy. It was just after two when the doorbell rang. Rachel was there wearing a pair of close-fitting jeans, trainers, a sweater and a short leather jacket. She wore more casual make-up than she did at work and had a broad smile. A small child was clutching her hand and trying to hide behind her legs at the same time.

"Hi, Helen, nice to see you. This little one is Molly who's a bit shy today."

I got down on my knees and spoke, "Hello Molly nice to meet you, I'm Helen. Come in and meet my niece." Megan appeared at the doorway and she too looked a bit shy. "Megan come on over, this is Rachel and her niece Molly. Why don't you introduce her to Edward and show her around."

The two of them went away. Rachel was looking around, "This is a nice place, Helen. Thanks for doing this."

"Hey, it will be good for the two of them and I have everything for a picnic, but please tell me that Molly doesn't have any allergies."

"No, no allergies. You've prepared a picnic, how nice."

It didn't take long to get to the Gardens. Megan held my hand, Rachel held Molly's and kids held hands in the middle. I carried a wicker picnic hamper and Rachel took the cool bag. We looked around the beautiful glasshouse and then settled on the lawn. The gardens were busy but there was plenty of space and people were having fun. I set out a blanket and then served the food, lots of things for the kids, some wraps for the adults and a little bottle of white wine each, chilled of course, and served in proper wine glasses.

The girls were getting along well so it allowed Rachel and I to chat. I enjoyed her company and could see us becoming good friends. Not that I needed another friend, I needed my 'person' and Rachel would do nicely but that was only something that would happen in my dreams.

When it started to cool down we headed back to my flat and ended up playing a board game before Rachel and Molly had to leave.

Molly stood in front of me, looking up, "Thank you, Helen, that was a nice day and I like Megan, goodbye."

Rachel smiled at her niece and turned to me, "Thanks, that was a really fun day. See you next week."

I sighed as I shut the door. I was going to see her before then and naked, but it would be as I slept. Megan and I watched a movie and snacked until it was time for bed. I tucked her up and read a story before falling asleep next to her. When I woke up about two hours later I tidied up and went to my bed. My dream about Rachel was interrupted by Megan and Edward climbing in beside me. Janice would probably not have been happy but she wasn't there.

On Sunday we went to the safari park and had fun watching all the animals even though I'm not a big fan of zoos. We headed back home and it was time to get our 'Sunday best' on, that, of course, meant the new dress. Megan looked wonderful and she was very happy especially with a little lip gloss. Janice was going to kill me, but so what.

We ate at a nice place on Great Western Road, it wasn't very fancy but they had food suitable for Megan. She felt great, got her soft drink in a wine glass and the waiters treated her like an adult, she loved it. We later watched another film and I read to her again. Sure enough, she crawled into my bed about midnight.

Megan gave Janice and Pete a big hug and then it was non-stop chatting about our weekend. I managed to squeeze in the fact that things had been great, she'd behaved and then I left. I'd phone later and in the meantime, I wanted to get a couple of hours of work in.

A phone call

I was watching something meaningless on TV when the phone rang. "Hi, Janice you okay?"

"Great thanks. Pete and I had a wonderful weekend. We missed Megan but not having to worry about her gave us a really good time. It sounds like she enjoyed herself."

"It was magical. I love her to bits and I'd do it again in a heartbeat, please go away for another dirty weekend soon."

"Who says it was dirty?"

"I do. Tell me I'm wrong."

"No, you're not wrong. It seems as if my daughter was drinking wine but I'm sure that must be wrong."

"We went out for dinner; she was all dressed up and looked so lovely. I've eaten there a lot and they served her soft drink in a wine glass, that's all."

"And she has a new best friend, Molly?"

"Yes, the two of them hit it off and we had a great picnic."

"So tell me about you and Rachel."

"She's a Fiscal and we work together, we're friends and I thought it would be good for the kids to meet."

"This is the same Rachel that you get all dreamy about when you mention her?"

"The same. She's straight but I cannot get her out of my head. Somewhere deep down I have this stupid feeling that she could be the one. But I'm crazy."

"Helen, you're a good catch for someone and in the meantime you have me." I laughed. I'd always had Janice. "Just one thing, you and Megan shared a bed?"

"Wait a minute, Edward was homesick and wanted to get a cuddle, that's all."

"Liar, but Megan loved spending the weekend with you and thanks a million."

"Anytime." I meant it.

Meeting friends

It had been a while since I'd met any of my friends. Mary, Olivia and Susan were girls that I knew from before I joined the police and we saw each other a few times a year. They were the people that I'd been with the night that I'd first encountered Gavin Williamson when he'd been trying to chat up Susan. She wasn't interested because she was with Olivia, her wife. The four of us were all gay and had formed a small support network a long time ago and after a couple of years, Olivia and Susan became an item.