Legal Affair

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

After catching up I was asked about my current status and replied that I was still single. Mary had been studying me and issued a challenge, "Hell, I get the feeling that there is something, maybe not a 'friend' but someone you have a notion for?"

I tried to deny it but they ganged up on me. "There's a solicitor that I work with from time to time, she's not in our club but she's nice and I've been dreaming about her."

"Really, nice? Does that mean she's 'nice' or nice looking, what?"

"She's nice and drop-dead gorgeous. I'm torturing myself. I still have Megan and maybe I'll just wait until she's old enough for me." They laughed and I just smiled. This was starting to hurt.

It'd been a good evening and I lay in bed thinking and naturally thoughts turned to Rachel. I found my fingers between my legs and closed my eyes. Damn, I wish she was there.

Lydia Green

There was a face peering over the privacy screen at my desk, one I recognised but couldn't immediately place and then I got it when she said, "Excuse me, detective. We met on a case a few months ago and I wondered if you could help me."

"Dumfries Road, Vivian Black and a big bloke called ... Williamson. You were fresh from basic."

She smiled. "Yes, I wasn't sure you'd remember."

"So what can I do for you?" I'd also remembered seeing her at the hospital and realising that she was rather good looking and seeing her here I could confirm that my initial impression was correct.

"I've been dealing with this lady who's been knocked about a bit by her partner and ..."

It was a familiar story and the woman was afraid to leave because she had nowhere to go and couldn't access any of their money. We chatted and I pointed out a couple of possible solutions and some contacts who might be able to do more to help than the police could.

"This might be a bit forward of me, but I think you're attractive. Would you like to meet me for a drink sometime?"

That blew my socks off. "I think you're attractive as well but dating another cop is not smart. Why don't we fix a time, have a drink and talk about why that is not such a good idea." Her face fell and she reddened up. I lowered my voice, "Don't get me wrong I wouldn't mind getting to know you better but ..."

It was ten days later that we did meet in a quiet pub where we were unlikely to run into anyone that we knew. A female was playing guitar and singing. Lydia looked stunning, a short black dress showing a nice cleavage and glorious legs. She had stylish make-up and looked nothing like a cop. "Wow, you look great, have a seat and I'll get you a drink."

"I'll cut to the chase. When I saw you that first time we met I thought that you looked attractive, you sparked some interest. But I also know that dating a cop is not easy and two girls even harder. Then there is the fact that I hope to be promoted soon, a relationship would be frowned upon and I'm ten years older than you. Sure I could have taken you to bed and then dropped you a couple of days later. But that's not who I am. Been there, but it always felt wrong and it's not for me."

"Wow, that is so honest." She sipped her drink and was thinking. "Why did you ask me to meet you?"

"I knew what I wanted to say, but I wanted to explain and let you down easy. I also wanted time to change my mind just in case I decided to ... well, change my mind."

"There is someone though?"

"Yes, but she doesn't know it. She's straight and I'm going insane, she's gorgeous, really nice and I want her so badly. I need to get over her and move on. That's another reason for you and I being a bad idea, I'd be using you."

We eventually had a nice evening together, she was fun and we had lots of laughs. We parted amicably and I was sure that we would stay on good terms. I went home and dreamt all night about the person I desperately wanted to be in my bed.

Review

Janet Redmond and I got into John Gill's car and we set off for Barrack Street, it was time to discuss progress. Alice King greeted us with coffee and there was some general chat before we sat down to talk. "I've asked Valerie Harper to join us this morning, she's one of my senior deputes and I asked her to keep an eye on Rachel so she may have some useful views.

We'd only been talking for a moment before Valerie bustled in apologising that her conference call had run long. I explained how I thought things had been going and then Rachel had her turn. "I'll keep this simple. The quality of the reports I'm seeing has improved, there's a way to go but it's moving in the right direction. Having a direct liaison with Helen has made a great difference and I'm getting more comfortable with these cases."

"Ms King asked me to keep an eye on Rachel and I have a few observations. Rachel has got her head around these cases, she's doing well and her confidence is growing. She's right about the quality of the reports, better but still room to improve. I think that the two of you deserve plenty of praise; you've both taken this on and put in a huge effort. I've asked Helen to help me out with a couple of my cases and that's been great."

Alice King looked at her, "Thanks for that, but you have something else don't you?"

"I do and it may not be possible, but this is what I'd like to see. Dedicated deputes to deal with all DA and sexual abuse cases solemn, not High Court, and summary. Probably myself and Rachel, maybe another depute and someone for admin. I know that may be an issue for us but I guess the next part will be even more of a challenge. A small unit of detectives, not to take on all cases at the outset, but to pick them up the following day and see the investigation through to the report stage and any follow-up. Working together would make a huge difference and in an ideal world, you'd have both teams work from the same office. Maybe that's too much but what you've started is good, let's see what else we can do."

I was a bit shocked by what Valerie had said and a little flattered about her compliments. A lengthy discussion followed and lots of ideas tossed back and forth. John had gone quiet and I could see that he was deep in thought.

Alice also looked at him. "John, I've known you for a while, you've gone quiet and that's not like you so what's rumbling about in there?"

"I'm trying to consider some options, Valerie's idea is a good one and I was wondering how we could do that, where the unit would sit, what staff we'd need and who would be in it. There's something else, Helen is due a promotion and there are a couple of possible posts coming up for her so it would mean that she has to move. But this is all new to us and I'd like to give it some more thought.

"John's right. I like the idea but making it happen will present some challenges and we need to have a good look at it and see what others think."

"Janet, would it help if I got the Crown Agent to call the Chief?"

"It might but it would be better if I got the chance to sound him out first. I know that the ACC Crime would go for it."

Rachel and I agreed to meet for a drink on Friday evening. There was a lot of chatter in the car as we headed back to our office but there were no decisions.

Megan's birthday

I'd just hung my coat up when the bell rang and as I was closest I opened it. "Hi, Rachel, Molly, nice to see you both, come on in. Megan's looking forward to seeing you again, she's in the lounge." Molly dashed off.

"Hi, Helen, nice to see you too."

The birthday party was a big hit and as predicted Pete had encouraged me to buy Megan the bike she wanted. I was happy to indulge her and she loved it.

When the kids were off doing something in the garden I noticed that Janice had cornered Rachel and was no doubt giving her the third degree. A little later Janice got me alone.

"Rachel is bloody gorgeous, far too good for you, but she likes you and has that same look that you have when you talk about her."

"But she's straight."

"So you say but there's something there that makes me think she likes you as more than just a friend. Her niece is lovely and Megan likes her."

I hadn't intended to stay at the party for too long but chatted with Rachel until it was all over. Then she smiled at me and asked, "I'm going to drop Molly off at my sisters' and I'm hungry for something other than kids food, fancy dinner with me?"

There was no need for her to ask twice. I met Molly's sister, Sarah, briefly. She seemed nice and looked very like Rachel just a couple of years older.

We went to a nice restaurant near the city centre and chatted away about all sorts of things, but we agreed to avoid work topics. She spoke about the books, films, and music that she liked, whilst we didn't agree on everything we were close enough. "I'd love to visit Paris, Madrid, and Barcelona, there are lots of things I'd like to see both cultural and entertaining. I've always hoped to go with someone special."

She laughed at me, "I'm special and I'd like that too. I'd like to go to Amsterdam as well."

"I loved our picnic with the kids; I'd like to do that again sometime."

It was a great evening and we were becoming friends; it's just that I wanted her in my bed. I need to sort myself out.

Promotion

John Gill, the DCI, stopped as he passed my desk. "Helen, 'The Boss' wants to see us at 10, okay?"

"Whatever the boss wants." I wondered what it was.

As ever 'The Boss' was on the phone as she gestured us to sit down. There was some chat about my work and I had to wait because something else was coming. "Jane McGill will be with you next Monday. Show her what you've been doing, introduce her to the Fiscal, you have a week."

Wow, what the hell was this all about? I must have looked puzzled.

She stood up and walked around the desk. "Congratulations, the Chief wants to see you this afternoon. As of Monday week, you'll be a Sergeant."

That came as a shock; I'd not expected it to come that soon. "Where am I going? Uniform I suppose."

"Actually no. You're staying with us, Major Investigation Team. I suggest you see DI Janette Fellows first thing tomorrow." I was there for a while but I don't recall much more of what was said. The fact that I was staying in the CID was huge and a major surprise.

I saw the Chief Constable later that day, he shook my hand offered congratulations and said all the usual stuff, then he stunned me. "When I've seen the others can you and I have a coffee, I want to hear about your current project. I know what Janet's told me but now I want to hear it from you."

This was different. He listened and asked some interesting and pointed questions, he'd paid attention and thought the plan that Valerie Harper had proposed was worthy of consideration.

I called Rachel with the news that I was moving on. She seemed fine with the idea but I was sorry that we wouldn't be seeing much of each other, at work at least. Maybe it would be for the best.

When I spoke to Janice she instructed me to be at her house as soon as, or else. They had dinner ready, fizzy wine and it turned into a great night. They were delighted for me and I felt their affection, but best of all Megan cuddled me and told me that she loved me. It felt as if that was the best and most significant of all the congratulations I'd received. She was Janice's daughter and Janice was my best friend but somehow Megan was more important to me than anyone else.

I slept on their couch and headed home to change before going to the office. More slaps on the back but there was work to do and a hand over to organise.

Jane McGill was a good detective. I showed her everything and gave her lots of briefing notes. In the middle of the week I took her to meet Rachel and Valerie Harper, they seemed to get along okay. Just before we left Valerie took me to one side. "I wish you the best of luck but I'm sorry to see you go. I enjoyed working with you and I think that Rachel's going to miss you a lot."

Rachel had invited me to join her for dinner on Saturday evening. I'd managed to sober up after my Friday evening celebrations with the other detectives in the office.

The dinner was great and we chatted away all evening. As she was sipping her coffee Rachel looked over at me, "I'm going to miss working with you, it's been good and we've had some laughs despite the cases. I'd like us to stay friends. I don't have many but I value your friendship."

I agreed that we would stay in touch but I also hoped that I'd get over her. Fancying her was a struggle for me.

The next two weeks were insane, I'd barely found my desk when things started to kick off. We cleared up a series of armed robberies, an abduction, a drugs bust, and helped out on a tricky murder. It was a whirlwind but I'd coped pretty well.

The first day of my third week was spent sorting out paperwork and submitting reports. Late in the afternoon, it was clear that something big was breaking but my team wasn't involved and there were no clues as to what it was. In my mind, it either had to be a crime in action or something terrorist-related. I found out early on Tuesday when I got the message to report to Janet Redmond's office immediately.

"Helen, we have an active terrorism enquiry, I can't tell you any more than that, but it's going to occupy every hour that John and I have for a while. I have a new job for you. You're going to take everything of mine that is not related to this inquiry, calls, meetings, emails, the lot. Fix whatever you can and put off anything that can wait. Use my name, do whatever you need to do. I'll put aside at least thirty minutes every day for you to brief me, check things, get my authority, or whatever else you need. Keep detailed notes and don't fuck up. Clear?"

"No, but I get the idea and I'm sure I'll work it out."

"Good, I've forwarded my calls and emails to you. Use this office. Don't drop me in it. Oh, if there is something really, really important text me, just send 999 and I'll call as soon as I can. It's just that there are some meetings that I can't take a phone into." She walked out leaving me gasping for breath.

I was at the office before 7 am and didn't leave until after 9 pm for the next eleven days. It was crazy. There were lots of people who didn't want to take instructions for a newly promoted DS, hell I understood that. Lots of things left me mystified but I managed to keep a lid on stuff and after a week of briefing meetings I felt better, more confident about what I was doing. At home, I ate takeaway food and avoided alcohol. I managed to get a couple of runs in but I was too tired, mentally, and physically. Each night I lay in bed worried that I'd missed something, or just fucked up. I spoke to Janice a couple of times but it didn't help much because she had no idea what I had to do. I spent five minutes talking to Megan on the phone one evening and for that brief time work was forgotten. Rachel called me once; she knew something was brewing and that I was busy. It helped to know that others supported me.

When we met on Saturday afternoon the Detective Super listened and smiled. "You've done well Helen, thank you. Things aren't going to change in the next twenty-four hours so we're standing our teams down. You should take tomorrow off; sleep all day or catch up with family."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, we all need a breather. Take the chance, this could break anytime or run for a while."

I called Janice that night and arranged to take Megan swimming the next day. It was fun and helped me to forget all about work. We went for lunch; I bought her a new school bag and had a cuppa with Janice and Pete.

I needed to do something else to make the most of the break so I took a chance and rang Rachel. We met in a bar, drank a lot and danced for a couple of hours. It was just what I needed, but that night I dreamt about her again after a couple of week's peace.

The following week the pace of the big enquiry had picked up and there were a few men in the building who just had to be military, they weren't wearing uniforms but they were dressed in that way that told you who they were. Then it all erupted, three men were taken into custody and a viable explosive device was found concealed in a lock-up garage. The media went crazy and I found it hard to get to see the Boss. Rachel and Janice both called to check up on me, even my Mum called but I chose to ignore her.

It went on at that crazy pace for another week and then things started to slowly return to normal. Janet Redmond came into her office one morning and sat opposite me, that seemed wrong, I was in her chair. "You've done a great job, Helen, thanks. You've really pissed some people off, sorry; you may have some new enemies."

"I'm pleased that you think things went okay. It's been terrifying and exhilarating but I've learnt so much. I'm flattered about the confidence you had in me."

"Finish up what you have today and take a couple of days off. I want you back here at 10 am Thursday."

I caught up with sleep, laundry, shopping and exercise. I went over to spend an evening with Megan and ate with Janice and Pete. The rest of the time I did very little.

"Good morning Ma'am, Sir, you wanted to see me."

"Sit." I took a seat next to the DCI and there was a little polite conversation. "Do you remember the meeting we had when Valerie Harper suggested a way forward for domestic and sexual violence?"

"She wanted a couple of teams, here and in the Fiscals office."

"Alice King and the Chief have agreed to give it a try. Valerie Harper is going to run a unit with Rachel McGregor and Lauren Hunter. You're going to head up our unit with Jane McGill and you need to identify another person, it doesn't matter if they're CID or not, but find someone good. You'll work out of the rooms on the third floor. You need to oversee every case and make sure they're as good as they can be. You'll report directly to John. That will piss a few folks off but I don't care and neither does the Chief. Alice King is expecting you at 2 pm."

I went to find Jane McGill and told her about the new unit, she seemed pleased about developments. The two of us headed to Barrack Street. It seems that there was one thing that Valerie Harper had suggested that wasn't going to happen right away, we were not going to all share the same office.

New unit

It took a couple of days for Jane and me to get our two offices sorted out and computers moved. Then we started work and decided to try a new approach, we also decided to brief every member of the division, write a set of guidance notes and there were a couple of charities that we thought might be able to help with the victims.

Jane suggested a friend of hers that she'd worked with in Child Protection who might be a good fit so I invited Natalie Stevens for a coffee. I didn't know her very well but she seemed interested and very positive so we had the third member of our team even if that annoyed her boss.

I was having a chat with the DCI one day and we spoke about new cops and how we could influence them at the start of their career. He suggested that we take a trainee on a three-month attachment.

When I mentioned the idea to Jane she said, "There's a really good girl who seems to have a flair for this work, maybe we could start with her, Lydia Green." She saw the look on my face. "What?"

"I've met her, I like her. Let's see what she thinks."

A couple of days later Lydia turned up casually dressed and Jane briefed her. Later that morning she brought me a coffee. "Can we talk?"

"Sure, what's up?"

"Did you select me for this? And if not will it be a problem?"

"No, Jane suggested you and I agreed. It won't be a problem for me and I suggest that you don't mention our 'date.'