Life Decisions- Laura's Route 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Adam sighed "Plus Law." He paused and coughed to clear his throat as the smoke drifted from between her fingers "I've noticed that you are definitely smoking more!"

"I am certainly not!" she snapped back defensively moving her cigarette away from him protectively.

"You are this is like the third cigarette break since we left the car an hour ago."

Laura shrugged her shoulders, ran her tongue across her lips and then turned her head away from him as she pulled on her cigarette "It's the weekend, I always smoke more." She stated and then exhaled again through her nose.

Adam ran his hand through his short brown hair almost plucking up courage as he looked at her though the drifting smoke "So, Law, as Dai is out with Monique for the weekend, I was thinking that you might be coming back to mine later?" He asked, his fingers walking their way up her thigh.

Laura frowned "That sounds like fun..." she grinned "... But my mum has invited you over for dinner tonight, as she likes cooking for three!"

Adam turned his head and retrieved his bottle and looked with a concerned face "Is she now smoking like you too?" He asked as opened the bottle of coke and took a gulp.

Confusion crossed Laura's face as she shrugged her shoulders "Ad why does that bother you, her food is nice." She tried to defend her mum.

"Oh, wasn't denying she is great cook, of course not."

"But why are you concerned about the smoking?"

"Oh, I err, I am not. You know, with both of you smoking I will end up stinking!" He frowned.

Laura snorted "Like I can tell, don't worry, you don't mind me walking around stinking of piss!" She huffed and took a drag on her cigarette.

"But that's different!" Adam said defensively. "Come over to mine and we can have wet sexy fun!" he grinned stroking her leg.

Laura rolled her eyes as she turned her head away from Adam as she tilted her head back and inhaled again. "That would be great, but my mum will have been shopping." She stated after holding the smoke a second. "Let me finish this one and we can get back to our shopping." She finished as the smoke tumbled out of her mouth.

"Yeah...wonderful, yet more shopping..." Adam grunted as he removed his hand as Laura crossed over her legs "...Do you know what?"

"What?" Laura asked tilting her head to the side and then glancing towards her cigarette and giving it a gentle tap with her forefinger to remove the ash before looking back and blinking a couple of times before giving her full attention at Adam.

"Do you know what? I am thinking that it might be good for us both if we don't meet up again tonight?"

"Oh...wait...what...why?" Laura said before placing the cigarette back between her lips and dragging hard. "Please, I do love you!" She grovelled covering Adam in her exhaled smoke.

***

Laura slammed shut the front door "Fuck it, I need a large drink!" She announced as she flounced down the hallway.

"Afternoon Laura, yes dear I had a wonderful afternoon thanks for asking, and how was yours...oh where is Adam?" Trisha asked as Laura reached the doorway.

"That's why I need a drink!" Laura exclaimed as she dropped her Primark bags on the floor and headed to the fridge and pulled out the bottle of white wine. "Do you want one too?"

"It's a little early Law, don't you think?" Trisha asked wincing as she glanced at the clock on the wall.

"Not when I have been shat on by Adam it's not." Laura stated leaning across to the cupboard and retrieved a glass and then quickly filled it and took a gulp before topping it back up again.

"Oh Law, come here, give us a hug, what has gone wrong?"

Laura gulped down two more mouthfuls of wine and sighed loudly as she leaned her weight against the counter, "Adam basically told me it was him or my cigarettes." She stated as she put the wine glass down and bent down her handbag and retrieved her Marlboro Lights pack, before rummaging again for the pink lighter.

"That's a bit harsh; Law, did you potentially miss hear him?"

Laura laughed and shook her head, "No, look around, is he here with me now?"

Trisha went through the motions of looking, "Well, no, but your dad and I had been saying for years that you should quit, but you've been a smoker the whole time you've been with him?"

Laura rolled her eyes and shook her head "Mum yeah! Tell me about it. It's not something new!" She stated as she opened the pack and put a cigarette between her lips and picked up the wine glass and made her way towards the back door.

"Law?"

"Yeah mum?" She turned and looked back into the room.

"Firstly, stay in here, I know after this conversation now sounds wrong, but will you have a cigarette or two with me!"

Laura's shoulders dropped as confusion reigned on her face. "Oh, if, you're sure?" She asked with the unlit cigarette bouncing between her lips.

Trisha nodded, "Very much so." She grinned. "In this instance, maybe I would like a cigarette or two with you too, and then I can also to talk to you about positive things like looking for houses, then you can call Adam and sort it out!"

Laura's eyes widened with surprize, "Mum, oh that does sound good!" She replied as she pulled the kitchen chair out and promptly sat down and then quickly focused on lighting her cigarette between her lips, exhaling and then with a smile pushing the pack across the table to Trisha who smiled approvingly as she gulped her wine.

***

Laura padded back into the kitchen tugging jogging bottoms up her hips as Trisha was sitting at the kitchen table, hunched over the lap top scrolling through endless pictures of houses.

"Mum, I know its Sunday night, but I think we still have one bottle of Merlot in the cupboard."

"Law, remember you need to get up for work tomorrow." Trisha tutted.

"Yeah, but mum its different, you are helping me with the bottle, I am not drinking it alone." She grinned.

"I am meant to be helping you with looking for houses, not wine. But, oh, look at that one!" Trisha said pointing with her finger at the screen.

Laura blinked as she tried to focus as she leaned over the back of Trisha and looked at the screen. "Mum, move your hand I can't see it."

"Sorry dear, now look, its ideal for you!"

Laura twisted her mouth as she thought, "Yeah, that looks good, but I guess we need to look at several of them." She stated thoughtfully as she sat back down and pulled another cigarette out the pack, before turning it to point at Trisha who smiled and pulled one out too.

"I will take that one as a no." Trisha mused excitedly.

"Mum...I really don't know...its food for thought, the kitchen looks amazing, would not need to do anything to it." Laura shrugged her shoulders.

"Excellent, I will see what I can arrange tomorrow." Trisha smiled before placing the filter between her red wine lips and leant forward towards the flame that Laura provided.

"You are so kind mum!" She glanced at her phone as it vibrated on the table.

"I know I am." She grinned, "but Law," she wavered her hand in the direction of the cupboard. "Are you going to open that other bottle, and are you going to look at the text from Adam?" Trisha grinned, exhaled, and then looked to the cigarette to take another hit.

Laura sheepishly picked up her phone and giggled.

"Oh, oops mum, you are right he still loves me..."

"Go on?" Trisha raised her greying eyebrow.

Laura winced as she looked at the phone and then to mum "It's a bit rude, sorry mum, and in my defence I'm a little beyond tipsy. Read it mum..." She turned the phone around and then moved it closer to Trisha's face until she could see it and then she laughed.

'I am sorry for earlier and I do love you Ad, I do very much want you to duck me tomorrow night! xLx

'Quack Quack xxx'

Chapter 6 Monday Morning

Laura groaned as she leant her elbows on the kitchen table and rubbed her thumbs deep into her temples with closed her eyes as her headache thumped loudly. As she slowly opened her eyes again, she stared at the table before looking up and slipping her hand around the steaming hot mug and lifting it her mouth gulping the black coffee down. She swallowed and looked at her jam laden toast and sighed almost reluctantly as she picked it up and took a large mouthful covering her cheeks in jam and as she slowly and methodically and extremely labouredly moved her jaw up and down as she slowly chewed. She raised her head and her eyes danced across the ceiling as she heard shuffling upstairs. She smiled and swallowed her toast and then took another large mouthful. Chewed and washed it down with coffee.

As she licked her lips of jam and crumbs, she shook her head as she stared intensely at her pack of Marlboro Lights next to the ramekin with four squished butts in it. Her eyes then glanced to the back door and chuckled to herself as she pulled the last cigarette out of the pack and sighed loudly at the empty pack in acknowledgement of needing a fresh pack sooner rather than later. She placed the filter in her mouth. She tilted her head and flicked her stray bangs of hair out of her face and over the top of her head and with her mum still upstairs she lit the cigarette pulling hard on the filter, her cheeks collapsed deeply as she hungrily filled her lungs with the very much required first dose of nicotine of the day.

It was very much more important than the toast. She needed to smoke.

***

Laura tilted her head to the side and chewed her Mars bar and the wiped her mouth with her hand. She pulled out and then sheltered her cigarette from the gentle breeze circulating in the smoking area outside her office. She in inhaled deeply twice and exhaled the cone up to the grey morning sky, and as the last drifts of smoke left her lips, she picked up her mug of coffee gulped down two mouthfuls.

"So, what's up hon, yes, its Monday, but it's not too bad?" Karen asked as she pulled a cigarette out of her pack too.

"Err, hungover!" she grinned and gulped her coffee. "I even took a detour to McDonalds for extra coffee this morning!"

Karen tilted her head and ith her hands sheltering the cigarette she soon got it alight. "What are you like, you said you were not going out!" she replied the smoke drifting off with the breeze.

"I know, I know, I sat there with mum and not planning to, but we had couple of bottles of wine."

Karen tutted, "Its unlike you to drink on a 'school night'!"

Laura rolled her eyes. "Tell, me about it. All I know is this is like my third coffee and second mars bar even after a sneaky sausage and egg muffin and hash brown. Even with my ciggies its still not working." She grinned.

Karen snorted and flicked her ash. "How is your mum coping?"

"Probably equally with a hangover." Laura chuckled. "She was not awake when I left the house.

"Is she okay?"

A smiled crept across Laura's face, "Well she may have been drunk, but she has said that she might buy me a house!" she grinned.

"Oh wow, congratulations why didn't you say before?"

Laura shrugged her shoulders and looked down at the floor and manicured her cigarette on the edge of the bench before looking up again "I don't know what to think really. Mum has said she will be busy today ringing up estate agents booking viewings."

"Is it her distraction, her way of dealing with grief, gives her purpose for a bit?

Laura nodded as she loudly sighed "I guess so," she glanced over Karen's shoulder and squinted looking across the yard before taking one last drag on her cigarette. "Anyway, FYI Matt is pacing up the hallways, I know you have only just got here, but we better get back in." She said in her cloud of exhaled smoke.

"Oh, if we must..." Karen stated dejectedly as she stood up and took two deep drags, one after each other before finally exhaling. She looked at her burning cigarette, took yet another drag, before stubbing her cigarette out on the grey ashtray on the wall.

Laura rolled her eyes, "Yeah, I guess we do..." As she slowly got up, she brought her hand to her mouth as she coughed and followed Karen along the path.

"Oh."

"We have a long afternoon ahead of us."

Chapter 7 Home Hunting

Trisha sniffed the air and smiled at the aroma as Laura sauntered into the spacious cream painted living room carefully carrying her large glass of red wine. Her nipples of her bulging breasts were poking through her slightly too small white vest tank top. Her bra was long gone, it had been removed as soon as she got changed when she had got home from work. Laura back at her mother across the room as Trisha who was she sat on the comfy chair positioned beside their burgundy feature wall watching the large television in the other corner.

"Sorry I was late home and thank you for putting my dinner in the bottom oven. I have now got the dishes done and Mum, thanks again for tea." She stated and smiled nodded her head knowingly at spotting the new glass ashtray now located on the coffee table in front of them.

"Thank you, I will miss your help you know that!" Trisha said as she briefly glanced away from the screen and at Laura for a second and before refocusing on her programme.

"I haven't gone anywhere yet mum, we might not find anything." Laura coughed to clear her throat as she settled herself in to the chair and tucked her legs up under her bum.

Trisha smiled as she looked back at Laura and enthusiastically rubbed her hands together. "I know, but the house hunting with you is going to be exciting."

"Mum just how many houses have you lined up this weekend?" Laura asked with trepidation and then after deep breath on anticipation, gulped some of her wine.

Trisha lips parted as she beamed, "Oh, not that many..."

"Muuuum?" Laura glared as she fidgeted in her seat.

Trisha smiled again, "Honestly not many, I have only got a couple more estate agents to talk to tomorrow."

Laura raised an eyebrow, "Should I see if I can get Friday off?" She asked as she held her wine glass in both hands just under her chin.

"Oh, that would be great if you can, that would be good, as I think I have run out room on Saturday, and I can't get viewings on Sunday morning."

Laura brought the glass to her lips a gulped loudly as she looked across at Trisha. "Oh, I am really not sure this is going to be fun?" She asked with her eyebrow raised.

"It is, and it will be, oh Law, did you bring your ciggies with you?"

"Er, no, I was being good, and they are by the back door. As I've just had one after the dishes."

Trisha nodded and again sniffed the air and looked at Laura as a small smile crept across her face "Hmm, I thought so." She glanced to her right and put her hand down beside the chair and pulled up a pack of Marlboro Lights and a purple Bic lighter. "But it's okay," she smiled, "as I got us this pack this afternoon." She beamed as she flipped open the lid with evidence of two cigarettes already missing and pulled the cylinder out between her painted nails.

Laura beamed "Are you sure Mum? It's certainly warmer and more comfortable in here than on the back patio!"

Trisha focused her eyes on the white cylinder between her lips as she brought the bright flame to her cigarette and exhaled and sighed. "Yes Law, it's very okay, I admit that I practically froze outside when I popped out there this afternoon for one!" She beamed as she handed the already open pack across.

Laura chuckled at her mum's admission and rolled her eyes at her mum in a told you so way "Oh, go on, another one won't hurt." Laura grinned as she accepted the pack.

Trisha smirked as she released the pack into Laura's hand. "But I am certainly not forcing you!

Laura laughed hard. "Oh, I know you are not, I do this very willingly several times a day." She said as she placed the filter between her lips and flicked the lighter.

"Oh, one thing Law, are you seeing Adam again this week? I was sort of expecting him to be with you?"

Laura wiggled her hips in the chair and leaned across and flicked the growing ash on her cigarette into the spotless ashtray. "I don't know mum, to be honest, I don't know, but I would have thought so!"

"Hmmm, well you know I am here if you need to talk." Trisha stated frowning with concern at her daughter, and then looked at the cigarette burning between her fingers and briefly smiled and placed it back between her lips.

"Thanks mum." Laura smiled and then did the same thing but this time closing her eyes as her cheeks collapsed as she deeply inhaled the smoke into the recesses of her lungs.

***

Karen and Zoe sighed as they sat down on the smoking area bench and once, they had fought their legs and they secured them underneath then swiftly lit their cigarettes,

"Morning Law, not hungover this morning?" Karen grinned, before taking another hit.

"Eh, no! I am not a bleeding alcoholic." Law grinned as she manicured her ash on the edge of the bench and placed the cigarette back between her lips.

"We believe you. How are things going with Mr Henderson?" The petite brunette Zoe asked as she tilted her head and inhaled on her cigarette. "We heard the fraught conversation down the hallway." She said holding the smoke in her lungs before exhaling.

"Ohhhh, not too bad, he was particularly grumpy this morning, but I feel that I should get the Alior project into a win."

"That does sound good, but hell this week is dragging; I can't wait until Friday again." Karen stated.

Laura smiled and nodded her head "I've managed to book Friday off!" she declared.

"Ooh going anywhere nice?" Zoe asked.

Laura laughed "If you call going into town and talking to the estate agent's fun!" she sheepishly grinned.

"Wow!"

"Yeah, Mum has gone totally bananas on this house hunting thing, think we are seeing every house for sale in town, maybe even the county!"

Zoe exhaled another cone and grinned, "Oh wow that is so exciting isn't it! I am so jealous!"

"What does Adam think?" Karen pensively enquired.

Laura grimaced and tapped her fingers on the table. "I am not sure; I haven't really told him anything he sort of knows we are looking."

Zoe straightened her head and looked aghast, "Don't you think he should be involved?"

Laura shrugged her shoulders. "I see this as mum's project, I am just going along with it!" She mused and then took a deep long drag on her cigarette. "It keeps her busy during the day and then happy in the evening showing me hundreds of houses on the laptop!" she smiled and exhaled.

***

Laura topped up her wine glass in the kitchen and sauntered into the living room carefully carrying her precious cargo.

Trisha smiled as she looked up over her reading glasses as she sat in the from the laptop perched between her half empty glass of wine glass and recently installed ashtray on the corner of the coffee table.

"Law, what do you think about this house?" she asked as she shuffled back into the armchair leaving the screen clear for Laura to look at it.

Laura took a deep breath and leant forward and smiled as she saw the pack beside the ashtray and pulled a cigarette out and put it between her lips, and with a couple of gentle pulls she got it alight as she exhaled, she tucked her escaped bang back behind her ear and then focused and studied the screen. She glanced at the cigarette between her finger and knocked some of the freshly growing ash off, before looking back at the screen.

"I don't know mum; you have shown me so many of these now!" She frowned as she sat back on the chair and took a deep drag on her cigarette.

"Shall I see tomorrow if we can add it to the list on Friday?"

Laura nodded and briefly closed her eyes as she pulled on her cigarette. She opened one eye and looked at her mum before exhaling. "Yeah mum, if you want to!"

Trisha picked up her wine glass and took a satisfactory gulp. "Excellent Law, we are going to have so much fun!" Her eyes sparkled with excitement as she almost hummed.