Loneliest Man Who Ever Lived Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Goldie's parents were relieved to learn that Goldie finally seemed to be settling down. She and Matias were together for a full year before Matias popped the question.

And then Goldie turned him down.

"Why, Goldie, why?" her father asked.

"He's handsome," said Goldie, ticking the reasons off on her fingers. "He's successful. He's kind. He's smart."

"Those are not reasons to reject him" said her mother.

"But he bores you," said her father.

"That's it, Dad," said Goldie, grinning.

"Goldie... you're a restless spirit. You're never going to find someone who is going to captivate you," said her father. "Please, please, think about settling for someone who is nice, kind, and compassionate."

Goldie's face turned into a frown. For a moment, it seemed like she might cry. "I'd like to.. Father... but... I'm just not built that way."

"Then you will always be alone, I fear," said her father.

********

Goldie blinked. She heard her comm buzzing. What time was it? Five o'clock in the morning. Who could it be?

She activated it. "Harry?" she said, blinking.

"It's unsolvable," said the holoimage of Harry. "The equation is unsolvable, unless you define the y variable."

Harry looked like a mess. His hair was all over the place. His eyes were droopy and red. He looked as tired as she felt. She paused to let his words sink in for a moment.

"Well?" Harry demanded.

Slowly, despite her fatigue, she let her face break out into a smile. "I'll be on the first stratoliner to JFK in the morning, Harry. I'll see you at noon." There was genuine warmth in her voice. As she terminated the connection, she realized she no longer felt sleepy. With a spring in her step, she hopped to the bathroom.