Longwood Third Hunt

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"On reservation is soldier duty if injun shot. Otherwise is sheriff, even if some guy bring in whiskey or dynamite we are to detain and get sheriff." Well now am plum confused.

"No soldiers handle things asides shooting?" Sergeant nods.

"Find a man asleep on duty and we do court martial. Something like man shot dead is sheriff duty. Recon if they go far enough not Dan's duty but reckon no sheriff will mind if we apprehend a wrong doer." Look up at Dan and get nod.

"What he said Janet, see to on those vittles, need to find."

Nod and get to on the vittles, very bad speak on things here. Also leave me plum confused, why not let the cavalry handle things done to them outside of a war. Have to reckon is a round eye thing, once vittles done we go see to on the plates so are clean right quick. Then help pack up and go to get everything on horses.

Dan decides to see to on my aching breasts first so feel better. Then we get everything on horse and follow everything. Just ride on a spell, keeping eye on trail and ahead. Seem odd they seem to just keep going straight. Elan know the missing warrior so best ask on, seem to only go at trot which is wrong, chase after deer and go quick.

"Elan would they go at slow trot all this way and no stop?" Elan shakes his head.

"No, reckon hunt deer just would go faster and only one trail."

Well that is just plum wrong, no riding in line unless war tribe trying to make think small. Call for halt and hop down, need to check trail up close. Elan follow down and we look at the trail. Even walk along a little way and this is odd.

"Almost like have one horse and loaded two on then continue on." Elan nods then shakes head.

"If horse die they would turn back, even if continue no both ride horse."

"What else could it be?" Look up at Dan and sigh.

"Other would be war tribe trying to make look small. Just no find two print on almost same spot, more then two, three horse would happen." Elan sucks in his breath.

"Suppose was three horse and the one was grab the two."

"Suppose, though reckon closer to one ride up and join with one of the two to grab the third. Just was soldier grab or Apache?" Elan sighs.

"Reckon Apache just the soldier was a decent sort, hunt with afore. Apache was same, has gone out for hunt with another warrior and soldier. He know many soldier and like, play poker with some."

"If an officer rode up and issue order the boy would listen." We both look up at sergeant.

"Would that happen?" Sergeant sighs and shrugs.

"No officers missing so was nah one of ours, but if person has officer uniform they can play at still being." This is bad then Dan wave hand.

"If have three walk in line would faster look like trot?" Nod and sigh.

"Yes, so if fake officer come up and order they may have done fast trot or almost gallop, look like trot or plod."

"Can we do same?" Look about and nod then hop up on pinto.

"Yes and best do. If fake officer like as not only want away far enough to shoot. Day, two fast move is enough. If no move fast no trail to track."

Elan hop up on horse and we get under way. Keep an eye best as can on track and just ride on for a long spell. Sun about halfway up sky when notice there is change in trail so call for halt. Elan hop down with and get down to look. We have two sets of track now, both horse and can tell they going fast, gallop would reckon.

"If they race would they ride in line?" Elan shrugs so we look up at sergeant.

"If was race would soldier trail direct behind?" Sergeant sighs then shrugs.

"Know of races that do that, just not suppose to do such here. See in race some, if the trailer is not so close they do get behind. Some say make run easier for horse, no tell on that." Look over at Elan.

"Reckon we better keep look at a spell and move up." Elan nods so we creep along looking at trail. Even look around and find something odd, there is rolled tobacco. Grab that up and hold up to sergeant.

"Soldiers allow have rolled tobacco?" Sergeant nods then Sarah shakes her head.

"Boy's father smoke and he no like. They are in our fort and we have talked plenty." Nod then look Elan.

"Warrior do rolled?' Elan shrugs.

"Now that have tobacco most of us have taken up smoking. We make up pipe and use, sometimes pass around." Nod and sniff at a moment, this is odd.

"Roll is not old, tobacco has smell of and if sat out since hunt go out would have faint, this is strong." Sergeant takes up the roll and sniffs at then nods.

"Ach this is odd, they would not have sat atop horse for a day." Mind on then shake my head.

"Reckon closer to this is another man walk over to trail and follow, reckon on foot since no fresh horse print." Elan nods then frowns.

"Unless one was tossed and no slow down to let catch up. Aside that no man prints." Nod and frown, this is odd.

"Reckon tobacco no more two day old and no sign of camp. Reckon they could have drop on trail and leave horse there to lay back. Still reckon should see sign of a camp, dug up for outhouse if naught else."

"Perhaps pass while go fast." Nod and look back over land we cross already.

"Should be gap since no resume where leave horse. Reckon should get going, can figure out when find."

Elan nods so we hop back up on our horses and get going. Just ride on looking at ground, trail and all around much as can.

"Janet what is the thinking?"

"No idea Dan, is odd, seem to have come out ways riding in line then stop to camp. No obvious sign of camp and no see gap in trail. The tobacco was two day old, just no sign of join trail. After camp gallop along not in line but possible still have three."

Ride along for a spell longer and no change in the trail. No see spent bullet, no sign of caught anything. Especially odd no drop of anything, not usual unless they are minding everything and going along.

"Sergeant how far reservation go?"

"Reservation is a rectangle on the map, seem to be headed for corner of so reckon continue at this speed hit it right when we stop to camp." Perhaps good, means should find them today or tomorrow.

"Sergeant have glasses?"

"Oi lass that is good thought." Snort and giggle but keep looking at trail.

Just ride on along for a spell longer and notice a step off trail. Almost miss but do call halt and get pinto to head back for and we have a split. Well perhaps a split best to hop down and check, possible someone came along from the direction the split go and turn on trail. No think happen but is quite possible.

Dropped down I hunker down and check the trail over and this is a split. Well this is a puzzler, why would one split off the other. Look up at Dan since this is new for me.

"Dan we got split, one go off this way, the other continue. Possible they go back together, also possible both decide to leave reservation and go own way." Dan nods then looks at the way we been going.

"Tempted to say split up, but let's check the split. If we got one or more men join our two the split off would be to kill one like as not." Nod and sigh.

"Well then we follow split off. Do we have lantern?" Shaken heads so no lantern, reckon is good if hostile men around.

Hop up on pinto and we follow the split off. Ride along for a spell and shadow start to get long when notice a ravine, small ravine but large enough. Wave hand and point, would head for except follow trail, though trail seem to be heading for.

"Elan have you been in this ravine?" Elan shakes his head.

"Not seen afore, not come out this far. No river though seem odd to have one." Nod since there is ravine from river and no river.

"Reservation was mapped when was taken from the state. There was no ravine then."

"Sinkhole." Dan says it for me, do see them on occasion.

"Do we have rope?"

"Yes, part of standard outfitting, all horses get a rope in the bags."

Dan doesn't say anything, I know he wants to. There is only one reason to want a rope, to check in the sinkhole. Me going is the only choice, the rest are too heavy to be easy pull out and lower. Nitika perhaps, but she does not have Colts just in case a predator fell in. As we continue I start to think perhaps it won't matter.

The trail is going close but not at the ravine that as we are getting closer looks more like a fissure. Still stop us close but not that close to the fissure. Dan smiles at this, we are getting close to being above where the fissure is actually a cavern. Everybody gets off their horse and look at me, I point at Dan, he is chief not me so fall on him to explain.

"We have seen this afore, a fissure may not be a fissure, can be a cavern. So we do not ride on our horse while going near. We stopped here because if that is the far end of the cavern, we are practically on top of the other end. Janet will follow the trail, the rest of us will go over that way and walk. Hoping the cavern does not extend to where we are walking. If does the horse will realize first and pull back, follow the horse."

"What is the rope for?" Sergeant asks so I poke him.

"The rope is for Janet, we tie her with rope then put the other end on a horse. Thinking her horse since he listens well. If she fall in we stop moving then let her climb out. If we pull on the rope it could break, the horse can also fright and drag her a ways." I let out a sigh at that.

"Dan the horse drag for short spell afore cut rope." Elan waves his hand.

"Are you to look in fissure?" Nod and shrug.

"Get dark but shall look and call out. Just fall can be life."

Plenty of nods to that so we pull out a rope and get me tied to it. The other end go on pinto saddle horn and Dan take charge of pinto. I give over licorice and promise another if he is good. Get a head toss so smile, pinto will be good. All that set I walk over to the trail and crouch to inspect, can only find one horse right here.

Hoping to find some clue I walk along trail, with the rest walking along aside, good distance away. Rope is tied well at least, no limiting on my movement. Just walk on crouching after a short spell to inspect and still just one horse. Just afore the fissure I find a deeper print, just one not two so horse not rear, there was two on same line.

At the fissure now and have two horse trail side by side. Well this is puzzling since both are not going fast. Then eye fissure and reckon one was pushed in, Call out and listen, no reply so call again, same. Either not alive or deep fissure and no water mean no call well. Still move past to figure on trail and have turn back toward the same way as the other.

Good and not good at same time, like as not we got one of the two in the fissure and need to check. Also dark almost so little chance of finding coney. Just to make sure head back to fissure and look in, checking on the sides to see if fissure or cavern. Is fissure far down as can see so little chance of fall in even if cavern so wave at Dan.

"What do we got?" Dan asks as he come over with rest follow.

"Fissure far as can see. Also have two horse at fissure then turn way the other go. Reckon we may have one down in fissure, may have come look if fissure open." Dan sighs.

"You are not of the mind that happen." Shake my head.

"No call back so either not down or is and weak or dead." Sergeant sighs.

"Is wrong to hope Apache down there?" Shake my head.

"You know the soldier, just reckon either way both are dead or soon. Need fire so can take burning wood and go check, if alive best get out now."

Plenty of nods so we set about making camp and do give pinto licorice. Did promise and he was good. Horses rubbed down and fire set Dan take control of rope with sergeant and have second rope in case find. Sarah surprise with burning stick, she wrap in cloth and oil the cloth so burn good and stay up at cloth.

Am happy with this so then we set about finding good spot to drop in at. Have wide section just a little past the edge where the trail goes by and reckon able to see over and like as not where the body fell at anyway with push. So down I go slow since Dan feed rope and is by hand. At first have nothing but the fissure, dirt and rock.

Keep going down, more dirt and rock with black under me. The burning stick lighting a little but not that good so reckon could pass gold and not notice. Notice dirt under so am at bottom, or at least as far down as the dirt above drops. Now at bottom have area to look around so do, and find we have soldier.

Yell up for rope and get one toss down almost soon as say. Tie up soldier and get look at, reckon not the one we look for, this one is older. Still not good burial for man so shall haul up. Finish tie up and yank on rope twice so he get pull up. Grab up burning stick and still burn so get to look about for anything else down here.

Do find something else, big travel bag look been down here a spell so fissure not new. Well this is puzzle but does hold up to pick up so take in hand and yank on this rope twice. Dan pull up soon as yank so am going up just a little behind the soldier. Good since dead weight do move, almost get stuck so reach over and yank a bit.

Head roll around so no block and keep going. Also get better look and no know this man. All sort of confusing on this look for long hunt. This soldier though is not dead long, no see blood so broke something when fall would reckon. Then getting out of fissure so move to help Elan yank body out.

Lay him down and light up with burning stick so sergeant can look. Sergeant look and after moment shake head.

"Not seen him afore." Nod and head for the bag found.

"Found a bag down there, look like travel bag been down longer than soldier."

Kick it a time or two, just in case have snake inside, no sound so we open and look in. Dan look at me and look back, this is surprise, we found money. No coins we have bills, many bundle of them. Sergeant come over and look with then cross self and snort.

"Lot of greenbacks in there." We look at sergeant then Dan reach in and pull out one bundle.

"These are all printed in sixty four. Was there a robbery back then we not hear about?" Sergeant shakes his head.

"If was taken from the pay wagon we would know about and reckon Kansas City would hear on it. No banks were robbed that I heard about and you two would have been chosen to look would reckon. Possible Secret Service would look but would notify Kansas City along with send along a poster."

Notice inner pocket in the bag so open that up and feel about inside. Not a thing there so look more. Dan takes bag from me and empties so we can look at the bundles along with inside. Two more inner pockets, nothing inside. Outer pockets as well though nothing inside. The bag has been there longer than soldier and nothing to say who own.

"Dan, who gets the money?" Dan looks at me then looks at sergeant.

"Are we still on reservation?" Sergeant looks about and nods.

"Near as can tell, reckon makes that injun money."

Sound fine to me, we no need the money. Then we move over and check the soldier pockets, reckon may as well check to see if has papers. Nothing in the pant pockets, though do find papers in the coat. Sergeant found, there is inner pocket on the coat though not coat. Sergeant read the paper and groans then sit quick like.

Paper get hand to Dan who reads then sigh and shakes his head. I just look at them both until they notice. Dan snorts and shrugs so swat him.

"Dan what paper say?"

"Orders to round up all injun he can find. Doesn't say why but has a place to take them too."

"Order from who?" Sergeant sighs.

"General, the problem is he is in charge of infantry not cavalry and this fella is wearing cavalry markings." Elan then asks the proper question.

"Why knock him in to the fissure?" Plenty of shrugs so I ask the one thing we should figure on now.

"Now what?" Dan and sergeant look at me, then each other and shrug so swat both.

"If we take along we slow since no extra horse so use stick and canvas. Leave here and reckon get gnawed on if not dragged away." Dan nods and puts up his hand.

"If we take him back to the fort would get more soldiers since this is serious." Sergeant shakes his head.

"Would need report to captain who then sends out a letter. While wait for reply our two missing may be shot or not there." Look at sergeant then look at Dan, he sighs and nods.

"Reckon that be the right of it, just can't leave him laying here, and can't take with." Dan looks at sergeant. "Can't have sergeant take him back, need a soldier with injun since going off reservation." Elan snorts.

"Injun take back then." Dan looks at Elan and shrugs.

"Either that or you follow slow to bring him along." Put up my hand.

"Good to do, would give us the stick and canvas in case have injured." Dan looks at me, then at sergeant and both shake their heads.

"If this is a proper military advance in need of scouts we will ride up then turn around or get enlisted."

"If not lass you get a slaughter and we will have horses to load with the dead." Sigh and look at Elan to get smile.

"Can take the money back and present to chiefs." Reckon that is a good thought though there is one thing.

"If soldier let you keep bag." Sergeant sighs and shakes his head.

"Need to load your pockets, they will take the horses and saddle bags. Bags are inspected and all those greenbacks will disappear." Elan sighs and looks at his coat, there are many pockets on but not enough.

Nitika has a blanket and the moccasins are not finished yet. Do have an idea however so smile at Elan.

"Elan, take what fit. Rest will go in pinto bag so have when back." Elan nods and smiles.

"Bank of Janet." We all laugh at that then head over to our camp.

Rush ahead to the fire to help with cook, do like doing this. Reckon been too long since was doing just women work. Get there and get looked at, Sarah and Nitika not doing anything.

"No meat." Sigh then smile.

"Bacon and tater stew." Couple shrugs so we get to work doing that.

Bacon we cut out and then cut small bits, same with taters. Taters go in pot with water and then sit and wait. Taters take a spell to cook even when small, water need heat up as well. Bacon though we can cook while wait so drop in the bits of bacon and cook those up. Smell good in camp now and Dan seem to creep closer to fire.

Look over at Dan and snort cause he does scoot. Giggle a little while then swat on nose. Spell later the stew is done so we put in bowls and sit with Dan. Lean on him and am happy since being good wife. Like to be a better wife but babe only come when Great Spirit decide. Dan put arm around and eat with other hand, am doing same since taste good.

"This is good, wonder why Amanda hasn't made a chowder of this yet."

"Best ask Amanda." Sarah snorts.

"May be waiting for their eatery to get here and built."

"Wonder if she will call it Cherokee Janet chowder." I think we all stare at Elan for a spell there.

"Reckon would be more like bacon chowder." Look up at Dan and sigh then go back to the stew.

"You don't want something named after you?" Look over at Sarah and shake my head.

"Honest, name is when people are talking about slaughter and bandits. No like recall those. Also reminds of tribe and what happen afore slaughter." Dan pull close and just holds a spell.

After a while I finish off the vittles, and did enjoy. Also find that would like to try the same stew as a chowder. Milk taste good and would add more taste to the stew. Not to say camp is silent, I just focused on my vittles and not thinking about the bad. Course there is one thing that has me looking up at Dan as he take bowl.

"Dan, what about soldier?" Dan looks back at me a short spell then sighs and shrugs.

"Leaving him there seems the best idea, can fit him on the support in the morning when we split up" Nod and hold up two fingers getting a snort.

1...34567...9