Losing Everything to Science

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

PART 10 - Epilogue

Two months had passed when I returned home one afternoon to an unusually quiet house. I eventually found Jenn sitting in the dining room alone, eyes red and swollen evidently from hours of crying. I didn't have to come any closer to see the two little plastic rods in front of her to know what the pregnancy tests said. Looking up at my wife, her eyes bored into me, a combination of pain and fear. I can only imagine the turmoil she felt, ecstatic with joy for the life growing inside of her, and despair at the implications of it.

I slowly walked into the room, pulled out a chair and sat down at the table across from her.

"Are you OK?" I asked.

Her gaze unmoving from the middle of the empty table, I continued.

"Have you told Dom?" I continued

She finally whispered, "I haven't spoken to him since we............", a moment's hesitation, ".... in months".

We were silent then for ten minutes as I was just now processing what she'd had hours to consider. Eventually, she asked,

"What are we going to do?"

I looked up at her, as she continued,

"OK, what am..... I...... going to do?

"I think you need to tell Dom. I would want to know.", after a pause adding, "but I will support you whatever you decide".

Bewilderment on her face, she said quietly,

"I'm afraid! I'm afraid of what this is going to do to us. To our hopes for a future together. I'm also afraid of what this could do to me physically, and the baby. The doctors said it could be dangerous".

"If it's any consolation, that WAS the first thing than came to my mind. How to keep you AND the baby safe!

Relief washed over her face, her tears flowing, as I reached across table and grabbed her hand.

I accompanied her to the doctors the next day. The happy congratulations and awkward questions about the mother and father's medical history were hard for me, as isolated moments of panic and anger welled up inside of me.

Over the ensuing months, Jenn tactfully updated me on her periodic attempts to contact Dom. She refused to leave him a message about the baby, only a request that they talk. With petty satisfaction, I couldn't help but notice that the Always-There-Dom, was suddenly not There! I considered calling him myself, but again felt this particular situation, from conception to now, was a matter between them.

With careful management, Jenn's pregnancy progressed well. Mother and Baby were healthy, and no complications were expected. But everyone remained guarded. The girls were ecstatic! Too young to fully comprehend what was going on, I've always been amazed how female children appear to have some innate understanding of what Mommy's big belly represents!

When only two weeks remained before her Due Date, I became increasingly anxious about the Dom situation. She hadn't offered any recent updates on contacting him and I hadn't asked.

Hoping I wasn't over-stepping boundaries, considering how fragile our relationship remained just below the surface, I lied about an overnight business trip and drove the 500 miles to the city where Dom lived.

Arriving outside his office at four o'clock, I sat for two hours until he emerged. I approached him as he loaded stuff into his car, whereupon he turned around, looking at me, eyes wide with apprehension....which I found comical given his size and physicality.

"Your son will be born early next week. Jenn needs you", then turned around and walked away.

Four days later, I stood in the birthing center where both my daughters had been born. In the past I had been in the delivery suite itself, next to my wife, but this time I stood outside a glass wall next to Jenn's mother and younger sister, looking into the birthing room as a handful of medical personnel efficiently moved about the room.

Jenn could be seen on the delivery table, draped in sterile towels covering most of her body, her legs elevated into stirrups. Awoken from my momentary revery, the muffled exhortations of the doctor combined with Jenn's cries signaled the arrival of her son. Next to her stood Dom, dressed in scrubs, clutching her hand, and staring at Jenn with an indescribable expression of fear, joy, adoration, and bewilderment. The emotions that all new fathers know.

From my vantage point I watched, sobbing, overcome with anguish and devastation. No longer the scientist. No longer the husband.