All Comments on 'Lost at Sea'

by FrancisMacomber

Sort by:
  • 220 Comments
LazylonerLazylonerover 12 years ago
Dumb wife

With all the hatred being directed at corporate America I'm not giong to say this kind of scenario would never happen, But in this case the wife has to be the stupidiest excuse for a VP I've ever met.

The story itself isn't bad. Interesting premise of a cheating wife who stages a disappearance by plane in order to escape her own folly, but then tries to keep in touch with her kids and in doing so allows the husband to find her.

I just don't think any corporate salesperson would try to doctor up the figures for that long. I work in corporate America as a report writer and number cruncher and while hitting monthly numbers is a bit of a scam at most companies, its also ususally very easy to spot the scams. I don't know any experienced sales people who'd try to keep the kind of scam you have Merry running for more than 3-4 months. They just become too obvious after a while.

So high marks for the quality of the grammer and writing, but low marks for being able to maintain the suspension of disbelief.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Fantastic buildup

But the moment it really gets to betrayal and intrigue, you start rushing towards wrapup.

And rushing is definitely the key word here.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Rushed

I tend to agree with other posters on this one. You had some great development, some realistic characters and situations. Unfortunately when you had the facebook plot twist, you accelerated the story too much and didnt developt celia's relationship with the main character either after to explain why they were together as more then friends. Your writing has potential and shows a good attention to detail. Just slow down a little next time.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
I liked this one ...

When tales have a twist and a local angle it's always more interesting. Well written too ....must go to Ta-Boo for lunch tomorrow ...

zed0zed0over 12 years ago
Pretty Darn Good!

You kind of rushed the ending, it had a realistic touch but lacked depth. Your protagonist was still a wine drinking wimp which made him difficult to empathize with. It's a good thing he had Celia watching his back, which was kind of a reality stretch not only did she follow him undetected, but accessed the house rather quickly, while out of her jurisdiction, with no warrant. That's the kind of stuff that get's thrown out of court, and gets cops sued and fired, no matter how well intended. (Is there any law enforcement agency's that even still issues revolvers?) The other stretch is that an attractive, alpha type, cop women is going to be attracted too, or waste much time with a house hubby cuck. I can't help but wonder; what your concept of a husband is, as your male characters all tend to be somewhat lame non-men. But your showing promise, there's hope for you yet, Francis, and this story was definitely a four and a half, so I rounded up to five.

ILienBagbyILienBagbyover 12 years ago
to F. Macomber

I gave the story a five, as much for your past excellence as a story teller and for the first five pages of this story. I cannot but help allowing a huge smile to lighten my face when I see F. Macomber's name as author on a New Story list. I do admire your gift for telling a story. BUT, I must agree with the others who have commented that the ending of the story seemed rushed. I understand an author's wanting to finish a story, especially a story which attempts to do as much as your stories do, but we readers (or at least this reader) would be so much more satisfied after finishing the story if we knew more about who instigated the crime, what part the sex between the criminals played in the plot and if the wife ever expressed any remorse.

Socially_IneptSocially_Ineptover 12 years ago
Nice.

This was a good story. I really liked it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
5 pages

but seems short for me. I like your stories. so easy to read. thanks.

gatorhermitgatorhermitover 12 years ago
Interesting Story; Well Written

I thnk there are traces of truth in the comments, but some of them are unnecessarily harsh. This is a good story - the Facebook intrigue made sense. The left-behind family dynamics were well written and credible.

markellymarkellyover 12 years ago
A good read..

A damn good read, thank you.

looking4itlooking4itover 12 years ago
Missing

I guess the one I'm missing is the real reason for Meredith's cheating. I know it isn't supremely important but it leaves the story lacking for me. As in many stories I read here there is a great deal of quality development of the characters, plot and story but the ending becomes rushed and brief. Everyone knew Celia would be there, it is silly to try and make that a "surprise" and s sneak up to it. Don't sell your story and the readers short by rushing to the end.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
good story....

But a short ending. I also missed the main reason for Merry's turning to crime. If she ran off with her lover, why the big "hello honey" greeting when she first sees her husband? It doesn't seem to fit. One other tidbit; life insurance benefits are tax free. He wouldn't had to receive them spaced out over a period of years to avoid taxes.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
THATS THE ENDING?

this could of been a good story....

can I have the 20 minutes that I wasted out of my life reading this back ...please?

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggover 12 years ago
Way Better Then Most of The Tripe & Offal Posted here ! However ...

this story is told straight from the James Michener school of authoring. The characters are kept cardboard & one dimensional for serve the plot. For the record , I confess I did like the plot being a Facebook neophyte & followed the story with great interest to the end.

The author has mega-story-telling skills & made this submission a worthy read. However as a fan of his, it's my feeling he did not employ his full potential . For God's sake the lead character Frank seemed cloned from " The Simpsons " do good neighbor Flanders. I kept waiting for Frank to break onto a " Awww hi- diddley-ho kids , don't be gloomy Gus-es because Mom's dead "

Stlll this story is probobly the best to be had from new submissions today & I would be remiss in not thaking F.M. For sharing .

Harryin VAHarryin VAover 12 years ago
unsatisfactory

Like most of this authors stories... This one has the potential to be a good story but you can always count on this particular author fucking it up in the end because he doesn't follow the basic rulles about writing stories.

Amazing or unusual actions and behavior usually require a good foundation or a detailed explanation.

The problem this author has is that in story after story Francis Macomber does not seem to be able to grasp that basic idea. Simply go back and re-read his earlier stories from this year and you will see the same sort of problem.

In addition most of this was easily telegraphed.

The Build up of IRA funds in the last few months before the alleged plane accident... the fake Facbook friend that was located in south Florida which is where the Plane flight originated from... and the fact that she was fucking John Collier.... all telegraphed where the story was going to go.

Still it was very well done.

In this particular story the author spends a lot of time showing the devastation of the sudden death of the wife on both the husband and the kids. It's powerfully done but it also means that come the end of the story but it also means that at the end of the story the reader is going to demand a lot more explanation than the wife became just a money hungry twisted little woman.

And we don't get that. When we finally run into the wife she shows absolutely no connection or concern that the husband might be stunned or shocked that she is alive. She does not ask about the kids. And with the other man in a bathrobe in the next room she lies about fucking John Collier than when confronted... she lies again by insisting that she only fucked John Collier one time.

Those all pretty shocking actions given what she has done to her husband and kids ...her family ...who she claims to a still have some sort of emotional connection to. As a result most readers are looking for some sort of explanation.

The fact that she ran off with Johnn Collier and faked her own death... Stole millions of dollars.. and put her husband and kids through hell... are FACTS. They are NOT explanations.

It's a little shocking that this author is unable to distinguish the difference between the two... which is why this particular author is going to be a zero for a long time to come.

dinkymacdinkymacover 12 years ago
Well,

I thought it was a great story and thank you for sharing it.

kelchakelchaover 12 years ago
Agree With Harry

Liked the story and gave it five stars.

That does not mean I can't agree with Harry in VA. I also knew where the story was going and it was predictable. Also agree with Harry's thoughts on the wife. A lot of times Harry is a merciless windbag but he got it right this time. Taking note of that might make your stories even better.

Will always enjoy your stories if the quality is this good.

Thanks for the work.

FD45FD45over 12 years ago
One thing to consider

I'd like to hit the idea of the story being 'telegraphed'. This has a ring of truth, but not the bell itself. Every author in LW runs into the exact same problem: that catagory at the top of the page which says "Loving Wives". The husband never drives home early to find his wife giving herself a pedicure (Well, almost never). This almost without fail drains a certain tension from the story.

***

FM, you write with a very tight style. Almost too tight. You were trying to write both a romance and a mystery when you didn't have the word count for even one. Having a spare style isn't bad. Lord knows overwriting is common enough (Discretely, Quietly Silent this once)

I would have prefered having more of Merry in the story then Celia. She's more of a key element in the story, instead of an excuse for one.

There are a lot of other minor quibbles but it comes down to polish. And that comes with practice.

I shall watch for more submissions eagerly and I don't think this is much of a critique.

cueball961cueball961over 12 years ago
A Good Read, But Not A Great One Either...

I must preface this comment with the admission that I did like the story. It was something like watching an action/adventure movie only in literary form. The characters were fairly well drawn and the reader could not help but be drawn to the father and the children and also was forced to a feeling of empathy for them. The character of Celia was also a very likeable one, although a description of her was less than ideal.

My complaints with the story are twofold. Lets face it, the plot line was more than predictable. We pretty much knew the outcome of this story from a few paragraphs in. That the wife was cheating with John Collier was a given, and the fact that the conspirators had faked their deaths was as well. The same can be said of the upcoming romance with Celia. On a second front, the actions of the conspirators was a bit illogical. In order to carry off this plot, both conspirators would have no choice but to cut all ties to their former lives. This would be obvious to them going in. That Meredith would put her family through the pain of her "death" and her general deceit and criminal behavior is inconsistent with her desire to keep up with the lives of her husband and children. To do what she did to her husband and children, as well as her criminal behavior, would take the personality of a sociopath. She would be so uncaring that her family would never weigh on her mind any further.

The above being said, I still managed to enjoy the story enough to award it four stars, and I would have to say that this is the best effort I've seen by this author in my humble opinion. Keep up the effort and let your talent grow. Take the constructive critisism of your readers to heart and learn from it, and you will grow into a good writer.

Saxon_HartSaxon_Hartover 12 years ago
Convenient!!!

Gotta love a divorce where you don't have to lift a finger. The feds torched the criminal whore and her embezzling cock too! Great story!!!

dbroseleydbroseleyover 12 years ago

Really enjoy this story, Keep writting.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
even in stories

Even in stories noone could be as dumb as you made ihe husband out to be.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Good story overall

Nice story in general. However, it could have been better. As other commenters have noted, certain plot developments were fairly predictable. But that's okay though, if done well. The problem is, as others have noted, the ending is very rushed. Most importantly, we don't really get any logical explanation for the wife's behavior. We end up with a whole bunch of puzzling questions about her contradictory actions. I hope the author edits the story to fix this glaring problem.

bruce22bruce22over 12 years ago
The Curtain came down suddenly!

It all most hit me on the head. Still it was a light and enjoyable tale like all of FM's

work to date! It would be nice to really feel the characters a bit more...

SKHPSKHPover 12 years ago
Just brilliant

5 * for sure

cpetecpeteover 12 years ago
MORE!

Fine story-just wish there was more of it. A well done tale.

MsEroticLoverMsEroticLoverover 12 years ago
Most enjoyable

Really liked the story.

cohibaIVcohibaIVover 12 years ago
It's from the husband's point of view

... so maybe we are not intended to learn the wife's reasons for what she did. In Frank's eyes, what matters is what happened, not what was going on in Meredith's mind. I think it generates more sympathy for the husband, as we learn things and experience them with him. Some readers want to know everything, and there is lot to be said for omniscience, but not all the time. Embrace the uncertainty; accept ambiguity.

That said, I felt, as others have said, that it seemed a little rushed at the end. All in all, however, a very solid piece of writing. Thank you.

Rod_WalkerRod_Walkerover 12 years ago
Heinlein Reference?

In "Double Star" by Robert A. Heinlein (a great book!) Lorenzo Smythe, an actor, places pebbles in Dak Broadbent's shoes so as to disguise his identity.

PostScriptorPostScriptorover 12 years ago
Fun read...

Although it was rather predictable. But — hey, so what plot can we write that is truly new and unique? They've all been done before.

I must admit, though, I read this story, closed my computer and thought about it for awhile.

If I had been writing the story, I would have added one scene: I would have had Merry and Frank have a conversation in the jail while she was awaiting trial.

I think that a prison conversation could have been very interesting, because it could reveal whether the 'affair' between Merry and John was really an affair of the heart, or if it arose out of the fact that the two of them were engaged in a criminal conspiracy together. Such a scene wouldn't result in any sort of reconciliation, but it would give the author an opportunity to fill in a lot of the back history that is otherwise unanswered in this story. One might discover, for example, that once Merry was involved in these criminal acts with John , she would have no choice about having sex with him, if he demanded it.

As always, of course, well written and entertaining and deserving of the high score and plaudits that FM gets.

rjordanrjordanover 12 years ago
Lazyloner...are you serious?

Lazyloner had a puzzling take. He couldn't imagine a (in this case high level) corporate salesperson trying to doctor up the figures for a long period. I can understand his POV if Literotica is his only source of news. Concentrated on Sex News, they have been remiss in reporting anything about ENRON, Citibank, Goldman Sachs, Bernard Madoff Investments et al. These corps are sort of notorious, having trashed the U.S. economy in under 10 years so even the corporate mainstream media has to acknowledge their deeds. See The Daily Show for actual journalistic coverage of these scams, though.

I liked the story and I liked the characters. Most were adequately fleshed out for such a short story, except Meridith was more two dimensional than the others. I had no difficulty suspending believe at any point as it all seemed plausible and even SOP these days. Francis Macomber is one of my top 5 favorite storytellers on this site and earns another 5* from me.

tazz317tazz317over 12 years ago
NEVER TRY AND FOOL DAVYJONES

the sea will give up the living. F MAC has another hit. TK U MLJ LV NV

victoriangentvictoriangentover 12 years ago
Impressive

As with all fiction stories a reader must read with a willingness to suspend disbelief, where with all fantasy you must read without thought of reality. On this site it seems most of the LW stories are more fantasy than fiction given all the convoluted revenge schemes, some so complicated they make your head hurt. In all your stories that I have read you seem to have a decent plot and the entire story fits into my minds view of fiction and are all well written, for this I applaud you. I would also suggest you disregard Harry VA (as everyone else does), his dog probably pissed on his leg today.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
superb

Author has yet to submit a crap story. Appreciate the time, effort, attention to detail this author imbues in all his work. Thanks for submitting.

oldwayneoldwayneover 12 years ago
Quick ending or not, it was still a Five Star Story!

I thoroughly enjoyed your story. You got it all said, whether others agree or not. It is better to say just enough than to say too much. Anyone who has ever taken an effective writing course should know that. Thank you for your story.

chytownchytownover 12 years ago
Great Read!!!!!!

You are a great story teller. Thanks for sharing.

digdaddyrichdigdaddyrichover 12 years ago
It seems as if Meredith was more concerned about money than anything else.

She even thought that if she left her family a lot of money it would be enough for them to get over her being dead.

I don't think she had any intentions of ever going back to her husband and children, she had a lot of money and a lover that kept her sexually satisfied for the time being.

She's a cold calculating shrew and got what she deserved.

Thanks for the very interesting story

Huma412Huma412over 12 years ago
*****

Great read, thanks for posting it.

DunaDunaover 12 years ago
Naturaly 5 stars but complain for the second chapter

However I join the others for demanding a second chapter after arresting the fake victim of the plane wreck.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
nice homicide

but that's it. erotic ? maybe if can get up your dick only when your wife is dead of a criminal, this way it could be a fetish.

but as my teacher always told me nice story , missed target for sure not 5 stars

there was not even an explanation how she lost respect because he was a houseman ......

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
great job!

Keep on going. Good story, fairly unique story line. Kept me looking ahead.

Woodbine 68

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Meh. It sucked.

Let her stay dead....then everyone benefits.

BTTapBTTapover 12 years ago
Good, but rushed

Seemed to lack focus. I never really understood the wife, at all. I liked the story, it had me hooked. I just thought the wife's actions and words made very little sense. She loved her husband and family, and wanted to be with them, but got caught up in both an affair and a plot. But, if she really thought the end-game would go as she says to her husband, why would she carry on with the other man romantically? Why wouldn't she try and bring her husband, who she loved (supposedly), into the plot? I didn't get her at all. That said, well-written, and suspenseful.

Mostera1Mostera1over 12 years ago
Meredith??

Who is Meredith? She is a wife, mother. She cheats, embezzles, fakes her own death, was found alive with boss/lover, goes to prison. Why, why, why did she do this to her family? I don't know! Was she an emotionless automaton? She felt like a 'filler' as opposed to a main background character. I would have liked to see more development, and her reactions with her children, after all Bobby, her son, saw her cheating. Her overall behavior throughout was to me indifference, she did a 180 in less than a year? This did not make sense. Not logical. Sorry, just too many why's with her. She was underused, and underutilized. More eroticism would have been good too.

I liked the premise, plot, and enjoyed the overall read.

Thank you!

jasonnhjasonnhover 12 years ago
Good story but the wife is a dope

Yeah, I had a suspicion that the wife was alive and possibly involved with the financial irregularities. But the story was enjoyable anyway. There wasn't anything erotic about the story.

The only glaring issue for me is that his wife is such a moron. She has no moral grounding. She steals from her company and is all excited about how clever she is. She's just looking out for her family. Isn't she wonderful? Of course she is cheating on her marriage as well. And her husband hasn't the slightest clue about the weakness of her character. She is willing to do anything to get what she wants. That kind of single mindedness becomes noticeable. It is possible that a husband could be oblivious. He just seems reasonably aware, so to be completely clueless seems odd.

Don't get me wrong about the wife. I have no problem that she could have stolen money and cheated. The problem is that she sounds like an beach bimbo, not a VP of sales. She is "dead" yet she was going to reconnect with her family later. And they all go into hiding together? They would wonder where she had been and would have known that she was a thief. She thought that would be OK that she was a thief and abandoned them for years? Duh.

Maybe she was completely lying when he found her. She was planning to run away with the money and the jerk. She left the insurance and 401K for her kids and that squares her away with them. But the author never closes on this. As others ask, why did she think this was going to work out?

I liked the story as a whole. The characters were well developed. The plot was reasonably interesting. You need a better villain (wife), a common LW deficiency.

GirlintheMoonGirlintheMoonover 12 years ago
It always catches up to you...

This was an entertaining read. Thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
The interest was generated!

I thoroughly enjoyed the story. On the "lack" of eroticism: this audience should read the myriad of stupid "cuckold"stories if they want to see a "lack" of everything. Great story. Could be developed into more if you have the desire. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Poor choice of college.

Merry got off on the wrong track when she chose Georgia instead of Agnes Scott, where she might have come under the strong and positive influence of Miz Sarah. Early mistakes like that can result in disastrous experiences later in life.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
forgot to vote

Sorry. (You're one of my favorites.)

OldHidekiOldHidekiover 12 years ago
Good story

I did guess what had happened, but it was interesting reading how the husband figured it out. Thank You.

jedbeakerjedbeakerover 12 years ago
I Enjoyed It!

Thanks for a great read. You didn't telegraph it, it was always a possibility. I am looking forward to your next story. But i wouldn't mind a sequel to this one, or at least a segue from it. Wife gets out of jail, stalks or has vendetta, or likewise, John Collier. Or our Heros haver other troubles. OR - one or the other, kid grows up, makes decisions based on their traumas documented in this one. Ah what am I doing? Your next story (I hope you're already working on it!) will be a great one regardless of the plot line. Thanks again.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Five - Like Always

Great read, loved it!

One lingering thought. You wrapped up quickly but I noticed that when he told John to come out that when John told him that he was going to have to kill him...???...well, the ex didn't show or express any kind of anguish for the possibility...huh? Some ex!!!

Okay, thanks for a good story.

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightover 12 years ago
There were a couple times when

our hero referred to the Bahamas as being in the Caribbean. The wife was in charge of the southeast, which included the Caribbean, so she was flying to the Bahamas? There was another reference as well. That screwed the pooch for me. Otherwise, I enjoyed the story..

Huedogg2Huedogg2over 12 years ago
gave it a 5

great story.....loved the ending

vrieseavrieseaover 12 years ago
Very Good Read

I enjoyed your work especially the initial development of the characters. Would loved to have seem something with more detail about Merry's course of action and why she did what she did.

But I still gave it 5 stars as it held my interest deeply.

Vriesea

Sidney43Sidney43over 12 years ago
Good

I liked the story and you developed the suspicions about whether his wife was really dead, or in on the scam at a nice slow pace. You brought out the truth about her infidelity at an appropriate time, although somehow I was not surprised. The only negative aspect to me was the ending was too sudden. The story would have been better if you spent a little more time bridging between the scene where the arrests were made, with Celia draped around his neck and the fact they were married in Seattle.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
I trust

that the reason Meredith was so shallow is because you will be posting her side in the near future. I find it hard to believe an author as good as you would screw up like this unless you were deliberately vague for a reason. Just my two cents. I hope I am right...

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
nicely done

You did a masterful job developing the story and keeping me involved. GREAT JOB!!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Nice

Good story!

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
much better than your last

it reminded n my of an other story . but still very good

nwhalernwhalerover 12 years ago
Plot was obvious from the beginning but a tolerable story

Ending could have been 5 years later - 2 seems too soon for new job, new marriage, new place, new school etc and to be happily settled.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Should have been

That Celia was setting this whole thing up. Really if there's not going to be any sex there should at least be a twist.

DunaDunaover 12 years ago
A "romantic revenge" story

This story belongs to the "romantic revenge" subcategory of the revenge stories. The problem is the romantic part was a little short (lack a sequel) as many readers have written in their comments.

RePhilRePhilover 12 years ago
Good Story

Thanks

grogers7grogers7over 12 years ago
Thanks for the entertainment

66 comments (so far) on the first morning a story is posted says that you have developed a reputation as a good author on this site and in this genre.

It is somewhat amusing that some readers complain about the plot being obvious. Most stories have been told in one form or another, but there are some themes and some stories that the greater audience likes to have repeated. Cowboy movies were successful, yet we all knew that the good guys in the white hats would prevail. Same with Star Wars, the Bourne series, and Miz Sara.

Could you have written a better story? Probably. And you will write better ones. So, could you have written a perfect story? No idea what that means.

Just@FanJust@Fanover 12 years ago
Great!

Excellent story. I hope you write a sequel.

Eric_ShiftEric_Shiftover 12 years ago
That was one of the most perfect stories I have ever read

I'm going to be looking for more from you in future.

jason1138jason1138over 12 years ago
next time put it in non-erotic

fewer complaints if you're honest about your content, i would think

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
My Kind Of Story

Never mind 5, I'd have given this 10. Really enjoyed this story, a very good read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
unusual

Unusually for me i rated this story 5* Fab read and Ilook forward to seeing more tales from you. Well done!

MissouriUSAMissouriUSAover 12 years ago
Enjoyed the Story!

Thanks for sharing it!

MissouriUSA

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Unusual story

This was quite different from others stories I've read, but very enjoyable.

Now I need to read the rest you've posted.

SalamisSalamisover 12 years ago
Well Done

This story was particularly engaging, mainly because of both your very nicely paced writing style and your choice of subject.

I rarely read stories where greed is a central motivation of the villains, even though in real life we know that greed often trumps lust when it comes to infidelity. The only concern I had was the speed at which the investigator became a love interest. While their relationship seems plausible, a little more transition would have made this very strong story even stronger.

On the whole though this was a damn good piece of work.

coolpencoolpenover 12 years ago
A good read

A great story that had me hooked from the start - well paced with great characters.

I hope we hear more of Frank and Celia

jiminabjiminabover 12 years ago
A good one

This was a nice read and that was all it was. A story. And very enjoyable. I do not understand all the rants from the commenters. Thanks for the read FM. Not had a bad one yet..........To HDK you are correct about the Caribbean but it is amasing how many people think the Bahamas are in the Caribbean Jim

ParPlus10ParPlus10over 12 years ago
I don't get it.

While I have to agree with some of the other commenter, except Harry who was all over the map as usual. I think overall this was a good story.

Many of the comments seem to indicate that the story seemed rushed. On that point I would have to agree.

What I don't necessarily agree with is that more time had to be spent on Meredith.

True it would have been nice to round out the story. But is wasn't a deal breaker on the story. A good example of how this was done was Coaster2's Wenatchee. But look at the differences in length. As I have read from good author's comments in the past, there is always a trade-off.

For me the story was not about Meredith. I didn't see the necessity of delving into her character and background. I think the story was about the pain endured by Frank and the kids.

So to me that is where the story loses a bit. Not in the description of the anguish the family endured, but in the getting on with their lives. Personally I would have like to have seen more development of that, including Frank's relationship with Celia.

She cared a lot about him but all they shared were a couple of quick kisses.

What I can't agree with are some of the other comments. Especially Harry's comment that the author has screwed up every story he has written.

But then Harry's comments were really inconsistent. First he says the author doesn't understand basic character development. I don't think Harry has an understanding that you only develop the necessary characters in the story. The rest you can make a choice to it leave up to the reader to ponder and figure out. Of course the author does make an assumption of reader intelligence.

Harry goes on to say that everything was telegraphed; and true it was. Let's be honest, who didn't immediately think the crash was a cover up? And as soon as the Facebook invitation came up we all knew who it was. But so what! The story is about Frank and the kids.

But then Harry says "Still it was very well done". Huh?

This author consistently scores in the mid 4's.

That indicates that the stories are very well received. That doesn't mean that good criticism like that from FD45 isn't warranted. But these stories don't deserve the nit picking that some seem to need to give them.

Even HDK's comment that the minor error of the Bahama's being in the Caribbean Sea seems extreme to me. This was probably an editing mistake. The author got it right Nassau is about 180 miles from Miami. So both locations were probably meant to be in the South East Division. But to say that mistake made the story worthless, which is what "Screw the Pooch" means... come on man!

Anyway, thanks for the usual good story!

MendonFishersMendonFishersover 12 years ago
I liked it.

There was a little room for improvement but all and all I liked it. Hell it's better than some of the stuff I submitt!

Mendon

BelgiumBelgiumover 12 years ago
A good story

Although clearly inspired by “Wenatchee”, this is as usual a great story from Francis, although at certain points it seemed a bit rushed. As some other commenters said, once the Facebook story started, the ending was pretty much telegraphed and without suspense. A plot twist would have been that Collier was alive but Merry had really died.

I can accept that the writer chose not to have us see what was in Merry’s mind, after all it was Frank’s story and his point of view and his view she was dead. But it would be nice to have a companion piece with the story from Meredith’s point of view but I guess the author will not write one… How did she really end up in this situation, how could she be that naïve… And just how unfaithful was she: was it as she told Frank or did she engage in a longstanding affair and was she just throwing sand in his eyes? And she really had a strange reaction to seeing Frank: if she pretends to be death why is she “glad” to see him and not surprised?

Although I like your stand-alone stories, your stories about Miss Sara are much better… please write some more episodes of our favourite divorce lawyer!

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Tripe!

The only thing that really bothers me about this story is the rating it got. This was okay, certainly not the worst story ever posted here, but it was worth about 3.90 max. For the record, was Celia's weapon a revolver or an automatic? No imagination, no interesting plot twists, no kink, no sex. Really not a very good story. When stories like this get a high score it just cheapens the work of authors that deserved high scores. Voting inflation, LOL.

DunaDunaover 12 years ago
Value of a good revenge story

@ Dear Anon A good Romantic Revenge Story (RRS) generaly is above 4 stars.

demantoiddemantoidover 12 years ago
Terrific story!

I very much enjoyed this story...loved all the characters from the family to Celia. Wonderfully plotted with superb dialogue. Man oh man this Macomber can write a tale. Just brilliant.

SleeplessinMD3SleeplessinMD3over 12 years ago
OUTSTANDING!

Even after Facebook entered the story and we knew the wife was alive you keep the right pace to move the story along. Mystery solved and life going on is the best revenge for Merry's betrayal. Thanks for a great story!

bdsmbillbdsmbillover 12 years ago
Very well written

This was a good story. He definitely traded up where wives were concerned.

Scorpio44Scorpio44over 12 years ago
Nothing wrong with telegraphing where the story is headed

and nothing wrong with great writing either! The story flowed well, was written well and ended well. Thank you.

brujaybrujayover 12 years ago
Excellent Story

I was one of those who guessed correctly about the wife, BUT it didn't matter to me. I still enjoyed this well told story. Worth the read.

Thank you for sharing your stories with us.

DunaDunaover 12 years ago

1. Dear Anon In that case you are right her family (exhusband, her children) and majority of her fiends disown her, however she will be a good mature age (40s) and everybody may be a restart oportunity. Yes the restart may be with others as her old family was. Why does everybody (readers and writers) want to send characters get suicide?

wkwimpwkwimpover 12 years ago
Well done

What a well written story. A fun, "can't put it down" yarn that is a smooth read. Thank you!

Bill Wimpenney

TavadelphinTavadelphinabout 12 years ago
Nicely done -

Yes a predictable tale but who cares - it was all in how it ran it's course - this was well done and very engaging -

Kept the reader involved and the handling of the personal side was well though out and measured - I like id a lot.

Celia was on of those special people who had the compassion and ease of personality to make it all work out the kids were well developed and real. I would have liked to see/hear more about Meredith - was she as callous and disconnected as she seemed or just foolish and gullible. Was she making the best of a lousy situation and really did intend to "go back home" someday or was she just a selfish bitch. Oh well you can't have it all in one short story heh.

Thanks very much for sharing your work and your time with us -

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
Error on insurance payouts

Life Insurance benefits are considered a form of inheritance, not income, and are therefore only subject to inheritance tax for any amount which exceeds the exempt amount [which is currently $5M]. Unless Meridith's income was over $1.25M per year [since you stated the benefit was equal to 4 times her annual salary], none of it would have been taxable. Even if a portion of it was taxable, it would be taxed as a capital gain and not income. Since the capital gains tax is only 15 percent, the taxes would hardly have "eaten them alive."

PhotoproffPhotoproffalmost 12 years ago
A wonderful story.

A wonderful story although somewhat predictable. I enjoyed it anyhow and yes, I read it at one sitting.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbylovealmost 12 years ago
Great

A loving wife dies, then her cheating is discovered, then comes back to life to face the music. Fantasy. I wish is was reality.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
traitor

his cornhole reamed, he smoked the meatiest cock, betrayed!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
Just garbage !

1* !

TalonsreachTalonsreachalmost 12 years ago
I loved it

Great characters, good plot, great attention to details. A very enjoyable read.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
excellent !!

This is an exceptional story--great plot--good writing--WELL DONE !!

thanks,

Sam

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago

Did no one see the Harrison Ford movie Random Hearts? Most of the plot is taken from the film. Yes, Macomber is a good writer; however, let's give credit where it's most definitely due.

karan9876karan9876over 11 years ago
nice story.

I liked the plot. A very gifted writer indeed. Someone commented that it was similar to random hearts so i did a search on imdb and am planning to watch the movie. :)

rajeshkumaarrajeshkumaarover 11 years ago

A very good story, but unfortunately no sex.Anyhow, I liked it.

MattblackUKMattblackUKover 11 years ago
I keep coming back to read this story

A real 5* job.

I really could see this as a TV movie.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous