Love Around the World 04: Dresden

Story Info
Romance blossoms between the new guy and his pretty boss.
17.9k words
4.82
6.6k
14

Part 4 of the 26 part series

Updated 01/30/2024
Created 11/24/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
UltimateSin
UltimateSin
5,232 Followers

A/N - Once known as the Jewel Box, Dresden is a German city, the capital of Saxony and known for once being the residence of the Kings of Saxony. The city centre was once admired for its baroque and rococo designs, and it was considered one of the finest and prettiest cities in all of Europe.

Until February 1945 when the bombers came.

I've visited the city twice during my time living abroad in Europe. The first was in 2008 / 2009, I can't remember exactly. Barely twenty years after reunification, the city was in the process of being rebuilt. Many old buildings from the Communist era remained standing. The Frauenkirche had been rebuilt after the Soviets / East Germans ensured it was left as ruins for nearly 50 years, but the square on which it stood was rather empty. I revisited the city around ten years later and the changes were simply astounding. The old beauty might not be completely recaptured but city planners and designers have done their best to give it an old-world charm though it does all feel relatively modern and clean.

I was in two minds about what sort of story to write with Dresden as the setting. Part of me thought about a historical fiction romance with the Dresden bombings and the end of WWII as a backdrop, but to be honest, no story featuring that could really end happily, particularly with Dresden situated in what was formerly East Germany. So... I've stuck with a modern-day setting.

Don't speak German. Any German is a direct translation using Google Translate. Grammar is probably completely incorrect as I think it translates language directly but doesn't change the grammar.

Previous stories in this series:

Love Around the World - Andorra (Mature)

Love Around the World - Bangkok (Interracial)

Love Around the World - Colombia (Transgender)

Australian / British standard English. There is a good chance of reading the following: lots of profanity, characters drinking, typos, and bad grammar at times.

Proofreading and editing suggestions provided by OhDave1. Any mistakes are still mine.

Comments are appreciated as always.

Feedback by email is always welcome. Enjoy chatting with anyone who likes my work.

*****

Romance blossoms between the new guy and his pretty boss.

*****

Walking into the office of my boss, he was the Chief Operations Officer (COO). He pretty much ran the day-to-day operation as his boss, the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) was far more involved in other matters. Good guy, and someone who did keep his finger on the pulse, but I deal with the COO on a daily basis.

"Take a seat, Mark," he muttered, slamming paperwork onto the desk with a grunt, "This is all fucking bullshit, like usual."

"SNAFU, Bill?" I wondered.

That made him laugh. "It's always fucked up thanks to that fucking vote. Jesus Christ, fucking Brexit. It's completely fucked everything."

"Is that why I'm here?"

"Yeah... Look, even before the vote, we were looking into contingencies as we were aware that a vote to leave was seriously going to fuck every single company that had dealings on the continent. I know one or two of our major competitors were doing the same thing, but there was almost an arrogance with the Remainers... And those companies which didn't think about making preparations are now hurting worse than us."

"Considering we're probably months away from a deal... What's the idea?"

"Though we've voted, we don't leave immediately. We're still technically operating under the same rules as if we were in the European Union until they invoke Article 50. Hopefully, the government isn't stupid enough to invoke it until we're at least somewhat prepared. But considering the morons in charge..."

"I'm guessing I'm sitting here because of all the bollocks then?"

"What do you think of this as an Australian?"

"Eh... All I think is of the billions and billions of assets that lie in our soil that are being mined and then sold, yet what's our government doing about it? Fuck all. We should be one of the richest countries on the planet due to everything that can mined. Think like the Norwegians with their gas and oil. Could be a lot better. Then again, could be a hell of a lot worse."

He pulled out a folder and I just knew it was my employee file. "So you arrived in the United Kingdom around fifteen years ago on a visa. Grandparents, right?"

"Yeah, father's parents are Poms. Emigrated in the sixties. Mother's parents are German. She was born there but they emigrated when she was a child. My mother's parents returned home when retiring as they admitted to missing their homeland. Father's parents never considered it."

"Ever looked into German citizenship?"

I had to bite. "Why do you ask?"

"Simply put, Brexit. We're a joint UK-German operation, but with the UK withdrawal, our part of the business is going to suffer. I don't care if we have the best negotiators on the planet, the European Union will not give us a favourable deal. They will look after their own. Voting how we did assures that we are now outsiders. Rivals."

"And you're asking me about German citizenship..."

"I'm aware that you're now a resident, but with changes on the horizon, even British citizenship won't help, and I doubt you can work in the EU on just your Australian passport."

"Nope. I have to abide by Schengen rules."

"But if you were applying and obtained German citizenship, you could work in Germany."

"Okay, I'm definitely going to bite, Bill. What's on your mind?"

"I'll put it simply. We want you to help set up our new HQ in Germany. The operation in Germany was always small time compared to our operations here in the UK. That's going to change very quickly. Frankly, those who can move to Germany to continue working for us will be offered the opportunity. We have plenty of Europeans who will no doubt be looking to leave the UK since the vote. What is going to happen is that a German national will be leading it and we'll be shipping you in as her number two. In a way, you're going to be in my seat with the new person in charge. The entire business will require restructuring because of this mess."

"Fantastic," I muttered.

"To be honest, most of us don't have a fucking clue what's actually going to happen until a new trade deal is sorted and we know what laws we have to follow. But the Board want us on the front foot with this. Our German partners are not particularly happy with the vote but realise there's now nothing we can do about it. We just have to protect the business and as many jobs as possible as this whole process isn't going to be easy."

"Where's the new operation?"

"Dresden, in the old East Germany. Ever been there?"

"Nah, my trips have only ever really been to Berlin or Munich if we're talking holiday, and I'm obviously in Frankfurt for business every couple of months."

"We're basing ourselves there as it's one of the fastest developing cities in the old East, and the German government is trying to pivot the area away from the industries that once propped up the economies of the old East Germany. Trying to bring them forward into the twenty-first century. We've already got people on the ground looking for a site as we plan on building an entirely new facility. Top-of-the-range equipment, capable of supplying all of the EU and hopefully further afield. Operations here in the UK will remain for here and Ireland and we'll likely continue our trading with the Commonwealth."

"When do you want me on the ground?"

"Not too soon though we would like you to visit within the next couple of months. As soon as building commences, we'll start sending you there to oversee things. The new CEO of our German operations won't be in position until it officially opens but, like usual, she's pretty much being groomed for it."

"She?"

"Ah, yeah. Given how the EU is pushing for more equality, the Board suggested we either hire or promote a woman who is capable of holding the position. She hasn't worked for our company before but knows our industry like the back of her hand. She knows her stuff and won't need babysitting. We wouldn't do that to you or her. She'll hit the ground running."

"I've got plenty of holiday time saved up. I'm happy to head out to Dresden on a holiday, and get the lie of the land. I mean, this is an offer and not a move without me agreeing, right?"

"Not a bad idea, Mark. Try and get out that way within a couple of months. Speak to some locals. I'll make sure you're given a few numbers so you can speak to some people who live locally. Ask about things such as house prices. Oh, another thing, how's your German?"

"Ziemlich verdammt gut, um ehrlich zu sein," I replied, smiling at the blank look on his face, "Pretty bloody good. I'm fluent. My grandparents and mother ensured I was bilingual growing up. Made taking German as a language at school a piece of cake..."

"Yeah, to be honest, it was a reason to hire you as you could speak to our German friends, and we wouldn't miss out on too much."

"Makes it easier when they hear my accent when I'm on holiday then whip out the fluent German. I've had fun with more than one German woman who heard my accent and then realised I could speak her language. Plenty of Germans speak fluent English, but it's like when you're in France. Speak their language and they love you even more."

Word spread quickly for the rest of the week, receiving plenty of slaps on the back or shoulder from colleagues as they were aware this was pretty much a promotion and more than one of them was jealous that I was getting a move abroad. The one thing no-one discussed was the vote. It had been a couple of months since and pretty much no-one had a clue what was going to happen. Some people were genuinely frightened about the future. Others were just going to roll with the punches.

I'd been in the United Kingdom since arriving at Heathrow with just a backpack of clothes, a Lonely Planet book in my backpack, a crap phone, a wallet with a few Aussie dollars and a couple of hundred British pounds. I also arrived with a debit card that held another ten thousand pounds, and a camera I'd bought in Singapore's Changi Airport during my rather long journey, having bought a cheap flight that saw me stopping at Changi, then Frankfurt before finally arriving in London.

Being a rather young man of only twenty when setting out, meeting three friends who had left Australia over the previous six months, we did the usual backpacker trail during the European summer, mixing sightseeing with plenty of drinking, clubbing, perhaps dabbling with a drug or two, and casual sex when it was offered. Plenty of Australians and Kiwis travelled in the summers, but we ran into people from all over the world at times. Yanks, Canadians, South Africans, and people from all corners of Europe.

The first five years were spent enjoying life to the fullest while working the bog standard shit jobs that most people on visas do. However, after a couple of years, while living life to the full, I found that I thoroughly enjoyed living in the United Kingdom, informing my parents back home rather quickly that I would be obtaining residency as soon as I was legally allowed. They were not surprised by that phone call.

I never bothered with the idea of buying my own place as though I lived in the United Kingdom, part of me did think about becoming some sort of digital nomad for the company though the idea faded the higher up the chain I moved. I eventually ended up renting this rather nice apartment and had a couple of fulfilling long-term relationships. One of them was this fit as fuck Polish bird, who was an absolute dynamo between the sheets. Unfortunately, she was also two stops off the crazy train. Surprised I got out of the relationship with my cock and balls still attached.

The second major relationship was with an Italian girl I met during one of my holidays. She was also living in the United Kingdom, she got in touch with me not after we arrived home, and we had a nice couple of years together. With her, things just kind of fizzled out. To be honest, she was looking to settle down, start a family, that sort of thing. The idea of kids terrified me mostly due to being forced to settle down. I still had my idea...

My first flight out to Dresden was a couple of months later. Being in our early thirties, one of my friends who had travelled originally had settled down in the United Kingdom, and two more had actually flown out on their own holidays and decided to stay. I was the only single one of the four, one of them was now happily married, another engaged and planning a wedding, and the third living with his partner but not engaged or married. I offered the idea of a bloke's long weekend away and they leapt at the chance.

"So there's a chance you'll end up living there permanently?" Mike wondered as we gathered at the airport bar for a drink.

"More than likely. The company has pretty much suggested it's not any sort of secondment. It's a promotion and a permanent move. I've already started getting paperwork together to apply for citizenship. It's quite easy due to my mother and her parents. There's obviously a test, but the language won't be a problem."

"Wonder if there will be any questions about the war?" Scott joked.

"Ve ver all on holiday. Zere is nothing to discuss!" Ricky stated in an awful German accent.

"You'll get fat because of all the sausage and beer," Mike warned.

We were actually flying from Heathrow to Berlin as I refused to fly from Stansted. Shithole airport. The flight would link up with numerous express trains that would leave Berlin for Dresden. After sinking a couple of pints, we boarded our plane with a warning from me to behave themselves, landing safely in Berlin after a comfortable flight. I knew trains in Germany were usually quite good. Perhaps not quite like expected, but they were better than those in Britain.

Arriving in Dresden in mid-afternoon, Dresden Hauptbahnhof was perfectly located for our hotel, only a short walk away so we didn't have to bother with a tram, bus or taxi. Checking in was easy considering I spoke the local lingo though the girl behind the desk still recognised the slight accent. I knew there were accents in Germany between different areas, even different dialects. Probably somewhat similar to the United Kingdom, where within ten miles, you'll be greeted by incredibly different accents and usage of slang.

While it wasn't a work trip, I still wanted to journey out to the site on at least one morning to get an idea of what commuting might be like. Dresden, like many cities, had a fantastic public transport network, and if I could avoid using a car, I'd do it. But industrial areas were not always served well so I might end up having no choice.

They wanted to try out an authentic German beer hall and I was happy to oblige. We found a place where there were long tables, a kitchen serving authentic German cuisine and beers were being sold in a stein. We ordered schnitzel and pork knuckles to share, and we certainly enjoyed more than one large glass of beer during the evening.

The next day was spent sightseeing, particularly the reconstructed Frauenkirche, the Zwinger Palace, the Residenzschloss, the Opera House and the absolutely stunning Furstenzug. We spent most of the day simply taking in the sights, phones out at the ready to take a few photos, stopping for snacks or a small beer whenever the mood took us.

After heading out towards the sight of the new facility the next morning, realising it might just be possible to rely on a tram each day, I met up with my friends to relax and unwind as the weather was warm enough to spend the afternoon relaxing by the Elbe.

"Yep, I could see myself living here," Mike suggested, "Though the language would be a problem."

"Nearly everyone our age would speak English to a certain level," I said, "Older generations, it depends. Places like Dresden in the old East Germany? Probably more chance they'll speak Russian than anything else. But like anywhere else, if you were to live here, it would be best to know the language so you don't feel ostracised."

"You reckon you'll like it here?" Scott wondered.

"Definitely. Mum is very excited that I'm being sent here. My grandparents are from the west, so I probably won't see them often, but they know I'm moving here too."

We spent one more day in Dresden simply walking about, interacting with a few locals as I had no problem introducing myself and asking questions about living in the city. Hearing that I would be moving there certainly led to some interesting conversations. Most were proud of their city and offered a million and one suggestions. One or two did temper all the enthusiasm with perhaps a more realistic viewpoint. Visiting as a tourist is all well and good, but day-to-day living would be very different.

Back at work on Tuesday, I sat down with my boss and gave him the rundown of what I'd learned, telling him I was eager to get moving as soon as I had the green light. It certainly made him grin before he told me that I would be moving in three months as the facility was being built to the timetable and that I would be needed on the ground to start testing everything involved.

"Your boss will already be in place. You'll know quite a few of the faces as those who are choosing to leave the UK have been offered jobs at the new facility. Most have snapped our hands off."

"What will my living arrangements be?"

"You don't have to worry about a thing, Mark. The company will be sorting out accommodation. A full year so you don't have to rush into anything. A company car will be provided though if you wish to use public transport, that would actually be preferred. You'll receive a boost in salary thanks to your promotion with the additional benefits."

"Where will I be living?"

"In a very nice part of Dresden, and we've organised it, so you'll be somewhat close to your new boss."

"Damn, there goes my idea of all-day drinking and inviting strange women around at all hours..."

He snorted and told me to get the hell out of his office before I put my foot in it.

*****

Kristin

She had no idea why she was so nervous, and definitely no real idea why she was currently in the bathroom attached to her new office, checking her make-up before tidying up her hair. She was a professional. Her appearance didn't really... No, that was bullshit. She was a woman. She would always be judged on appearance, even if she ran the damn company.

And given that she had his file and the words 'devilishly handsome' passed through her mind more than once, she knew she couldn't face him for the first time looking like she'd just rolled out of bed... Or had visited the gym, thrown on her clothes after a quick shower and did her best to look presentable when walking through reception an hour or so earlier.

Striding out of the small bathroom, she walked to the door to her office, poking her head through to see her personal assistant still in position. "Any word on his arrival yet, Charlotte?"

"Nothing yet, Kristin. He's still not meant to start for another half an hour. And if he's only just arrived in the city, I wouldn't be surprised if he's gotten slightly lost."

"I would have offered to drive him but, you know... I just figured it would be an awkward car ride getting to know each other."

"Kristin, I'll give you a buzz when he appears. Honestly, you haven't been like this the entire time." She rolled her chair closer and smiled. "Well, I have seen his photo. He's a little bit hot, isn't he? Think he'll stroll in wearing one of those hats they wear in Australia?"

UltimateSin
UltimateSin
5,232 Followers