Love, Texas Style 16

Story Info
Michael leads his family & continues his parents' legacy.
23.7k words
4.86
6k
9

Part 16 of the 16 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 02/06/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
ajroye
ajroye
345 Followers

Love, Texas Style

A.J. Roye

Copyright 2020, All rights reserved.

Chapter 172

Michael had just hung up on a call from a client.

Mrs. Lindsay... well satisfied with Michael managing her money. No time to reflect on this one success. Kylie had lots of work for him to do today. He sighed and turned to his tasks.

He was about to open a file Kylie had left for him after lunch, when his mobile phone rang.

Aaron, he thought, recognizing the caller ID. He nodded and smiled.

"Good afternoon, Aaron. I always look forward to your call."

"Michael," Aaron replied, followed by an awkward pause... An unfamiliar tone in his voice...

"This is the call I didn't want to make."

*****

He wept for nearly 30 minutes.

There were times he felt the life would leave his body, he was so heartbroken. His mind racing. Confusion. Broken reasoning. Thoughts of his mother. His father. Traci. Her children. Amy. His family. His brothers and sister.

Quickly, after the phone call, he had closed the blinds to his office, so others could not see inside.

"Oh, God!" he roared, burying his face into his hands.

Within seconds, a knock on the door.

"What's wrong?" Kylie asked, as she opened the door and peeked inside.

"Come in and close the door, please," he replied, as he stood and wiped the tears from his eyes and cheeks. "Dad and Traci have died in a car wreck. Just outside the Brenham airport."

"OH, GOD! Michael!" She rushed to his side and held him. "This is horrible."

Michael nodded as words escaped him.

"Have you called Amy?"

He shook his head... again, he couldn't form words. Only tears and a broken heart in his chest.

"I'm taking you home."

*****

Olivia rushed through the front door and into the living room to find Amy and Michael in each other's arms. Both of them in tears.

Leon was close behind.

Kylie was on the phone in the kitchen. Issuing orders to the staff back at the office.

Amy broke down uncontrollably when Michael told her the news. Michael could scarcely make the phone call across the street to inform his in laws.

Olivia rushed to check on the girls. They were asleep in their rooms.

Then...

Michael's phone rang.

"Aaron." Michael choked out his word.

"Michael. I've called your brothers and sister. Everyone has been called. Your Dad's parents and brother and sister. Mary's parents, too." Aaron paused.

Michael could hear the heartbreak in his voice.

"This is about to break on the news, Michael. I called the sheriff and told him next of kin have been notified. Traci's girls and her parents, too. Bill and Denise have taken in the girls." He paused... a long time.

Michael could tell he was choking up.

"I can't believe this is happening."

Michael could hear him sobbing.

"Michael," Aaron paused. "Terry told me if ever..." He paused again. "Well... he wanted me to tell you." He paused again. "He wanted you to take over M&T. At least until the estate is settled."

"Jesus," Michael sobbed. He cried as he placed a hand over his eyes and bawled... the phone at his ear.

Amy fell into his arms to comfort her man.

"I'll call you back, Aaron. You do what needs to be done until I get there. I trust you."

*****

Bill was the only one in Brenham at the time and Aaron called him first. He and Denise took Traci's girls into their care until their grandparents could arrive from Kansas City.

Michael and Amy, along with his brothers and sister, began the long drive to Brenham. And, in front of the Washington County Sheriff's Office... news reporters from across Texas and the nation awaited...

"Good afternoon. My name is Sheriff Martin Jacoby. I am here to confirm, yesterday, at approximately 11:20 am, on Hwy 43, near the Brenham airport, a two vehicle accident occurred involving a white Chevrolet Suburban and a large 18 wheeled tractor trailer rig owned by Ronson Cattle Company. There were two fatalities. The driver of the empty tractor trailer was slightly injured and required only minor medical attention. The occupants of the Suburban have died. Before I release the names of the fatalities, I want to announce, I have asked the Texas Department of Public Safety to take the lead for the investigation of this accident. I can confirm, but I urge caution until the final report by the DPS is issued. My deputies have recovered evidence from the scene that suggests, debris left on the highway MAY, and I emphasize, MAY... be a contributing factor for this accident. I will not comment further on the investigation or any theories. Now... for the hard part." A long pause. "News spreads quickly in Washington County." He paused to compose himself. "The deceased are... Terry Woods, long time resident of Brenham and well-known businessman in our community. And, Traci Morrison Woods. Mrs. Woods is an employee of M&T Investments and had high standing within the company. I understand Mr. and Mrs. Woods were married for approximately 4 years. The couple had just arrived at the Brenham airport from a business trip and appeared to have been returning to Brenham when the accident occurred." Another long pause as Sheriff Jacoby measured his thoughts. "Many of us remember when Mary Woods passed away from a terrible cancer, leaving the Woods Family devastated. Now, the family is enduring two more losses of their loved ones. On behalf of the Washington County Sheriff's Office, my sincere condolences to the Woods Family. And, I urge our community to come together during this tragedy of our favorite son and his family."

*****

Amy caught herself not breathing.

For a moment. Choking back tears and the huge lump in her chest.

She looked to her husband. He had just turned off the engine and dipped his head.

Amy turned to look into the middle and back seats of their Honda minivan. Her girls tucked away in their car seats. Verónica smiling her cute smile. "Mama," she chirped. Amy placed her hand on top of her husband's hand.

"I can't believe this," he moaned without looking at his Pretty Girl. "It's the same." He paused. "I did this very thing when Mom died." He paused again. "I pull up to the driveway and turn off the engine." A pause. "I don't know what I'm gonna say when I go inside." A pause. "They're all here. Terry, Emilia, Bill, and Jacob."

"You don't have to say anything, Michael. Let your brothers and sister help you say what needs to be said." She caressed his hair above his temple.

With that, Amy's parents pulled alongside the minivan in their car.

Moments later, Amy turned to her man before they entered her father in law's home. She offered her unique and cheerful smile... She struggled to offer it to him. He returned her smile and thanked her with his eyes. She held Mary and Michael held Olivia. The little twin girls... again, looking very much like their mother and grandmother. Verónica was holding her Daddy's finger, walking beside him. All three little ones wearing their prettiest dresses.

Then, Amy placed her hand on the door knob and turned it.

She stepped inside and everyone was waiting. All of them looking right at her. She began weeping... unable to control any longer. A moment later, the Morrison girls rushed her, led by Millie. Nicole snatched Mary from her arms as Nora and Millie fell into her for a sobbing hug.

"Were so glad you're here," Millie whimpered.

"Yeah," Nora sniffled. "We've missed you and Michael."

Amy held each of the young girls close and kissed their foreheads... her tears falling into hair.

Michael stood over the girls and tried to smile. Then, Emilia took her brother into her arms.

"Thank God, you're here," she wept. She held him tight and then picked up Verónica. "We all talked before you got here." She gestured to her brothers, then looked up into his eyes. "We want you to lead us through this, Michael. We all know how close you and Dad were. How each of you can read the mind of the other. You are so much like Dad, it's surreal. Please... Speak for and lead us."

Michael nodded and turned to Leon. He received a happy and comforting smile, and then a comforting hand on his shoulder. "You can do this, son. You are like your father."

*****

Amy held her husband close.

Not letting him get too far away without her presence.

"Mr. and Mrs. Johannsen. Amy and I have spoken with your granddaughters. They indicated they would like to stay here in Brenham." He paused. "With us."

"Michael," George began. Concern in his tone. For both himself and for Michael and Amy. "You have your own family to worry about. You don't need two teenage girls and another one very soon."

Michael nodded. "Amy and I want to adopt the girls. All three have been close to Amy for going on five years now. And, if not adoption, I want to encourage you to move here to Brenham to be close to the girls. I understand you own a casualty and life insurance agency in Kansas City. A successful one at that." George nodded. "M&T has an insurance division. I would offer you a job. Or, I can establish an agency here for you. I would invest. I would like to make an offer on your agency in Kansas City. To encourage you to move here until the girls are grown. Amy and I have discussed it. We are moving from Dallas to Brenham. I'm buying Dad's house and I want the girls to feel they don't have to move just because their mother passed away."

Mr. and Mrs. Johannsen stood and held each other... the thought of losing their daughter hard to bear. Amy stood and embraced them.

Michael stood, turned, and looked through the French door windows of his father's study. Nicole and Nora both looking inside and smiling... tentative smiles. Michael returned their smiles.

"Mr. and Mrs. Johannsen. Let's discuss this again when our emotions are not so hurt."

Michael then... waved the young girls into the study. Within moments, the girls were embracing their grandparents... and then... Amy and Michael.

*****

Michael shook his head... hard.

Disgusted with his emotions. Frustrated to endure another loss of a parent.

The pastor had just completed the last prayer.

With Mary in his arms, he walked briskly past the two caskets and the grave of his mother. Walking several yards down the narrow cemetery road to clear his thoughts... away from the others. The thoughts he tried to will away.

He held his tiny daughter in a loving embrace. Don't you ever leave me, Mary, he thought. Not like this.

He felt a familiar touch.

"I love you, Michael."

"I love you, too, Pretty Girl." He paused as fury and frustration overtook his soul. "Why us? Why me?" he snapped. "I... we no longer have parents. Yet you... Right over there, are your parents." He squeezed his eyes shut and tears poured from them. "Why can't I get over this? Why does it hurt so much?"

"Michael..." she choked, with Verónica in her arms... But, then...

Terry, Jr. interrupted her... snatching Mary from his brother's arms.

"Go," he ordered, pointing down the narrow cemetery narrow. "Walk it off, Michael. Your Mary and I will be right here when you return. Go... Now." He gestured again with a finger down the road.

Then, Bill grabbed his shoulder and began pulling him to walk away. Amy weeping uncontrollably as she watched her heartbroken man walk away with his brother. Jacob soon caught up with them. Verónica crying at the sight of her mother. "It's OK, Baby. Mommy is just sad for our Daddy."

"None of this makes sense to any of us, Michael."

Michael nodded... turning briefly to Bill as they continued walking.

"I want to roar like a lion, I'm so frustrated," Bill continued. Anger in his tone. "I hate what has happened to us as a family."

*****

Amy wiped the tears away with the back of her hand, and then, with her fingers.

Happy tears as she watched her husband, and his brothers, returning from a near 30 minute walk. The Morrison girls holding and comforting her until Michael returned. Nicole broke away and walked briskly into Jacob's arms. The two held hands as they walked together.

Amy briefly turned to look over her shoulder to find her mother and father watching her daughters closely. Olivia returned Amy's smile and nodded.

"I'm still angry," Michael reported, as he took his Little One into his arms. "We all are."

Amy simply nodded and offered her best unique and happy smile.

He turned to find Denise hugging his brother and Nicole beaming up into his other brother's face, while he spoke to Nicole's grandparents. He looked a little ways further to find Mary, his sister in law, in the arms of Terry, Jr... They were both sobbing. Their sons, milling around with Emilia's children. Emilia in the arms of her Daniel... weeping softly. His grandparents... both sets... praying at the foot of their children's graves. His uncles and aunts... the same... praying over the loss of their siblings. Traci's brother and his wife and children... holding each other at the foot of Traci's casket.

"I hate what I'm seeing right now," he whispered. Amy heard and saw him gesturing a finger toward the others. "It isn't right for my grandparents to lose their children. Traci's parents, too."

*****

"I hope I'm not interrupting."

Michael shook his head, as he gestured for the Sheriff to enter his father's home.

"Not at all. Mr. Mechlenberg and I were just going over what we wanted to do from here."

As they entered the great room of the house, the Sheriff peered out the huge windows overlooking the swimming pool. Children everywhere... playing... splashing... having fun. Their parents sitting on the deck... supervising and chatting.

"I see a beautiful family, Mr. Woods," the Sheriff whispered. He turned to face Michael. "Bill has returned and started a business. I understand you and your family are returning, too."

Michael nodded. "We are. Amy is looking forward to it, but, I think my mother in law is not thrilled." He chuckled.

The Sheriff smiled. "Can we speak in private, Mr. Woods? I have the final report." He wiggled a folder in his left hand.

Moments later...

Iced tea in hand, and everyone seated, the Sheriff began...

"The DPS has finished the investigation. Here's a copy, and I wanted to speak with you before the report is released."

Michael nodded as he accepted the report.

"A piece of four inch angle iron, five feet long was found at the scene. The driver of the cattle truck saw the steel and was too late to avoid it. He said his left front tire hit the steel and that the tire blew out almost immediately. He said the truck pulled sharply to the left and, he said he saw your father and Mrs. Woods before the blow out, but, the blow out occurred just as the two came upon each other." He paused as he looked away for a moment. Michael looked down into his lap at the report.

"It was a head on, Mr. Woods. And the momentum of the truck crushed and pushed your father's Suburban almost 60 yards." The Sheriff shook his head.

"The left front tire showed evidence of a catastrophic blow out. All the physical evidence supports the truck driver's account of the accident. He said he was driving the posted 50 mile per hour limit for that curve, and again, there is no evidence that either driver was in excess of the posted limit. And, neither myself or the DPS have any idea how that construction steel got on the highway."

The Sheriff stood and stretched his legs. Michael and Aaron stood, too.

"Unfortunate circumstances is all I can offer beyond my condolences to your family. Your Brenham neighbors are still in shock, Mr. Woods."

Michael nodded. "What can M&T do for the Sheriff's Department? Do you have a need the county budget cannot fulfill?"

"Sir?" the Sheriff asked, with genuine surprise.

Michael stepped a little closer to the Sheriff. "What can I do to help you do your job better, Sheriff Jacoby? New computers? A new patrol car? Protective vests? Perhaps something I can do for the moral of your deputies and staff? A department bar-b-que, for example."

The Sheriff paused and looked at Aaron. Aaron nodded and smiled.

"Sir, I didn't come here expecting..."

Michael interrupted him with a hand on his shoulder. "I know." Michael turned to his father's desk behind him. "This is my card. Call me next week when you have a suggestion. Please. And... thank you for the courtesy you have given my family today."

*****

"We've had long talks with each of the girls."

Amy nodded. Michael, too.

"Teresa and I are prepared to let the girls stay with you. We're not so ready to go the adoption route... just yet."

Michael nodded. Mr. Johannsen firm in his tone.

"Michael... Amy... Everyone I've spoken to has told me you will be perfect for our granddaughters. But, I need for you to tell me... if nearly grown girls... the hormones, the boys, the everything that goes with raising them gets to be too much, because of your own children and family, I need for you to bring them to Kansas City. Do you understand?"

Michael stood and George followed. They shook hands.

"I will love them as much as my father loved them, Sir. For your sake and for mine." Michael paused. "I have lost my parents... I look forward to adopting you as surrogate parents. Many a Christmas and Thanksgiving in Kansas City with your granddaughters and our daughters."

Chapter 173

"Michael, I wanted to speak with you alone."

Michael nodded as he shook the hand of his father's attorney. The two sat at the small conference table in Mr. Upton's office.

"Your father came to me about 15 months ago and changed his will."

"OK." Michael was surprised his father would change his will.

"He told me you have made a great success of your career and he was proud of your efforts."

"Thank you," Michael chuckled. "He did teach it all to me."

"That may be so, Michael, but, he told me you had a natural instinct. An instinct, he admitted, he didn't possess."

"I have done well. I've had good professors that encouraged me to think outside the box. To look at the potential in ways that aren't obvious to others."

"Well, your father sensed it, too." Mark Upton paused. "So, here's why I called you. Your father has left all of M&T to you, and you alone, Michael. He told me you were the only one that showed an interest and he had no doubt you could take M&T Investments where he and your mother couldn't." He paused to let Michael digest the announcement.

"His personal wealth will be distributed evenly amongst your brothers and sister, except for the house and the 330 acres. He left that up to you to decide. You will not receive any properties or assets, other than M&T and the house. His $10 million life insurance policy will be distributed to each of you evenly. I have the death certificates and I have filed a claim on your family's behalf. I just need you to sign this limited power of attorney; along with your brothers and sister."

"Exactly what I expected from Dad," he chuckled, as he signed the document. He shook his head...

"Leave me the hard work."

*****

Amy beamed.

Her handsome and confident man was about to face the press and the great challenge that lay ahead of him.

She immediately noticed the huge satellite communication trucks parked near the headquarters of M&T Investments. The press and reporters, politely and respectfully, behind barricades policed by both city police officers and sheriff deputies. A large crowd of residents had gathered to greet the Woods Family. They were applauding as she left their minivan.

She paused. Smiled. And waved... before she turned to gather her children from the car.

The crowd erupted when they caught the first glimpse of her husband as he exited the driver seat of their minivan. And erupted again, when Michael's brothers and sister arrived in their cars.

"Hello, Amy. Are you ready?"

ajroye
ajroye
345 Followers