Maxine's New Life Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Ten minutes later Lucas was in the office. He looked like hell, but he had a big smile on his face. Ed made the obvious comment that I avoided. "So how is Mopsy in bed?" he asked.

"Gwen is just fine in and out of bed," Lucas said. He accepted the bag from me before he added, "She and Mike are still at the Motel. They have a call into someone about something. It's all very mysterious."

"Well forget Mopsy and get on the camera's, but first eat your breakfast."

The whole morning was like that, one crazy thing after another. I had three pickups, then I would have to add them to the other deliveries. I swapped my cool leather jacket for the green nylon wind breaker with 'Lightning Express' embossed on it for the days work.

The temperature wasn't so bad, but there was a cold damp wind blowing. It had been in the forecast, so before I left home I had pulled on a thermal top. I supposed that when winter really came, I would need thermal bottoms as well. That might just put a damper on my love life. Long Johns are just not all that sexy.

On the way out to pick up the orders, I stopped at Jeff's office. I didn't need to see him, so the nurse did the swab. I wasn't there more than ten minutes. One of the benefits of saving a doctor's ass, I supposed. I looked at the hallway where I had stacked up bodies a few months before. I felt that another part of my soul had been left inside that sterile halway.

All in all the day went well. That delivery gag worked so well, I jokingly thought about franchising it. Marty called first, "Max what the hell, I never thought you would call me again."

"Neither did I. I have a friend who needs a bike motor, but you don't have anything that will work for him. I know somebody can build what I want, so which one of your builders should I call?"

"Just tell me what you need and I'll figure out who can build it."

It took about five minutes to explain and then to answer all his questions. "So, who can do it?"

"Shit Max, it's a hell of an idea. Don't worry, I have a guy who can design it, and I can have it built for you in a week."

"What's it going to cost me?"

"If this is economically feasible, just sign it over to me, and I'll build you a couple for nothing."

"Okay, let me know as soon as you can. If you can't do it, I'll find someone who can."

"If I can't do it." he laughed. "Doing it isn't the issue. The issue is can I make any money on it. Don't you worry, I can build it." I knew that questioning his ability would piss him off, but also get me what I wanted. "Now what about the TV show?"

"I'm still thinking, right now I have other things on my mind."

"Yeah, I saw it on the news. You are going to be one hot property Max. Just be sure I get to put in a bid."

I had no idea what he meant, but I said, "Of course. Now call me as soon as you know about the motor." And that's how we left it.

I got all the papers served and was headed home when Jeff's office called. "Max you don't have any STD, but Jeff said you might want to slow down. It sounds to him like a urinary tract infection caused by too much use, it you get my meaning. He said he could give you some antibiotics, if it didn't clear up by Friday. If it gets worse come on into the office."

"Thanks, but I think it will be fine. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't going to be a Typhoid Mary."

"Okay but keep in touch," she laughed at me then hung up.

The last call was from Lucas. It came just as I pulled into the office parking lot after making the last delivery of the day. "Boss can you meet me at your place. I have everything ready and you need a demo."

"I'm in the van now and through for the day. Call Ed and tell him I won't be back today, and I'll just drive to the cabin to meet you."

"Fair enough," Lucas said then hung up.

Thirty minutes later I had the demonstration and a new tiny little laptop computer that did little more than browse the Internet. It was small enough to be hidden in the van or carried in my purse. It was setup with my cell phone somehow I didn't understand.

When I tapped an icon on the screen, I got a live view of four camera's at once. One was of the gate, one was of the front yard of my cabin in a very wide angle shot, one shot was of the rear yard, and finally one of the interior of the cabin.

"So let me get this straight, this thing is on a 30 minute loop. I can go back thirty minutes and see anything on either of these cameras."

"More or less. They are all recorded together. When you back it up five or thirty minutes all of them back up. You can zoom into one camera and even zoom it in for a better view of any part of the picture."

I made sure that I understood how to work it, before I let him move on. This is a tamper proof system. It can be accessed by anyone who knows the address, but it can not be changed by anyone at anytime. In other words it's up there for a half hour no matter what. You can pick pieces out and move them to a permanent file, but you have to do it within thirty minutes of when they were recorded."

"Okay I got it." I really thought I did have it, Even if I didn't see them go in, somewhere in that thirty minute view of four cameras I would get a clue that I had a problem at home. The downside was that people might trigger the sight accidentally and see me in the cabin. Since I never allowed anyone to know I where I lived, the most they could see would be me masturbating. I figured that was an acceptable risk.

The whole thing ran through my desktop computer at home. Somehow it worked, that's all I really cared about. That and the whole thing was well concealed.

. By Friday the word at the Downtown Diner was that Marge had disappeared, and the Hazelwood was closed for good. Being closed did not mean that it was for sale. Marge had only leased it, or so the story went. Since she couldn't be found and the owner knew more than he was telling, he was looking for a new tenant after only a week. All that meant almost nothing to me, but it did mean something to the preacher.

"Maxine, you know a lot of poeple around here, how do you think they would react to a drug treatment facility downtown?" Archer asked me that on Friday morning at the Downtown Diner. I had finally found time for a sit down lunch. Bumping into the preacher there was a plus. I usually went alone to the marina for lunch. That Friday the weather was cold and dreary, so there I sat in the Downtown Diner grazing on a salad, with raisins mixed in with the usual green shit.

"Depends on whether the clients are movie stars, or crack whores," I replied.

"I can't say for sure. There is some money in the new health care law to fund drug rehabilitation. My group has a success record good enough to apply, Maybe I could get the Hazelwood and open a drug rehabilitation facility there. If the community didn't fight it, we might do some good."

"I don't know anything about your program, or the funding, but I know someone who might be able to help. If you need some juice, I have a friend who is helping Tommy Thompson with a run for the Senate. Your rehab facility might make him a good campaign issue. Jen may be able to arrange a meeting. Can you get a pitch ready, if Jen can make it happen."

"Sure, I can get all the facts and figures ready, but I don't know how that little incident last week will play with the government?" The preacher said.

"I don't either, but we can try. If that doesn't work, we can probably get you some press interviews. That should help you find some private funds. If you really want this, I will try to help."

"I really want it," he assured me.

"Talk to Mike, the young man who was in the Hyundai with you. He is a film maker. If he can make you a hero on the national news, the money might just roll in. It might even help with the government funding."

"Funny you should say that, he has been leaving messages the last couple of days. He wants me to do some kind of interview with him and his girl friend."

"It's up to you, but he managed to get our version of the shoot out wide enough coverage to keep us all out of jail. He can probably create enough empathy in the public for them to want to help you. If you play along, he will be using you for his own ends, but don't they all."

"Your friends, so far, have been a blessing to my ministry. I have to trust you."

"Well Helen might just be the exception to every rule. She is just one kind person, I think that she might be the only one who has no agenda. Mike and Gwen will have an agenda, you can count on that They still might do some good, even while they pursue their own fame."

"I can see both of those being true. How about you, are you going to help me?"

"That depends on what kind of help you need, I will introduce you to Jennifer and then let her set you up with Tommy Thompson, but I can't cook for shit."

"I think you can manipulate people better than any of them. You would make a hell of a board member for my ministry. You know, point us in the right directions, I'm not as worldly as you are."

"I will help where I can, Archer. I just don't want to be a regular on your board or anything like that."

"Fair enough, I might call on you often though."

"And I'll do whatever I can, I promise."

I picked up my cell phone, then punched the speed dial for Jen's phone. "Hey Jen, how's it hanging," I broke into laughter, before she even answered.

"In my case it is how are they hanging, and unfortunately they are. What do you want this, end of the week day."

"Do you remember Reverend Archer?" I asked.

"Sure I know your ex-con, spiritual adviser, and assistant gun thug. He is the one you are trying to get into bed, so you can corrupt."

"Jen, he is sitting right here and I have you on speaker phone."

"Oh hell, just kidding Preacher. Okay did they finally arrest you two?"

"No, the Hazelwood just closed. Marge disappeared and won't be coming back. The building's owner is going to be looking for a new tenant." I said.

"Maxine, I know your finances and even with the new infusion of cash, you can't afford it. Besides where's the mystery in that. Where you are now, no one knows where you are."

"Shut up Jen, Reverend Archer, wants to put a drug rehab in there. One to draw from all over the southeast."

"So what has that got to do with you or me?" she asked.

"I owe him my life and you owe me a favor or two."

"Oh no Max, we are dead even. I got you money for that favor you did for me."

"Jennifer this a win/win thing. I want you to introduce Reverend Archer to Tommy the would be Senator. Archer's cause will make a hell of a campaign commercial for Tommy. The only price for Archer's story is Tommy's help in obtaining funds from the new Health Care Reform Money. Archer might as well get it as anyone else."

"Quite a speech for you girl. Watch her Reverend, Maxine always collects on favors she does people. She turned a perfectly good caterer into a do gooder who always cooks more food than she needs, so that there is enough left over for the shelters around town."

"So what's wrong with that?" I asked.

"Nothing if you aren't the customer who is paying for more food, than they are going to need. Helen plans it so there is a bunch of food left over."

"People, who don't want to pay for i, could go somewhere else." I observed.

"Not after the guilt trip she lays on them. She even has most of the other caterers doing the same thing, just to complete in the sales pitch war. I heard that on Sunday mornings the catering trucks are lined up outside the shelter downtown and the mission over on English Trail. Some of them probably have to circle the block to find a parking space."

"Again, what's wrong with that. So the bride pays a hundred bucks extra and some homeless family gets roast beef for Sunday dinner. I just don't see the harm."

"Alright Max you win. I'll call Tommy this afternoon and see what I can work out."

"Does Bob know you and Tommy are close again?" I asked.

"Max, how many time do I have to tell you. Bob likes to watch." She clicked off abruptly, which is the modern equivalent of slamming down the phone.

"She is kidding about her husband watching, isn't she?" the Reverend asked.

"With Jen, who knows," I replied mysteriously. He didn't need to know that I had first hand knowledge.

"If this works out I will take you to dinner," he said.

"Save your money, if it works out I will take you to dinner. Your money has better uses." I replied.

"I'm not sure that there are any better uses. You seem to be the puppet master pulling strings to make people do the right thing."

"Don't kid yourself, I just wanted to save a mongrel dog. The rest just happened."

"If you say so," he said.

"So what's your plan for the afternoon? You never did get that tour of the empire."

"Actually, I don't have anything to do until 6PM."

"Then let's pay the bill and I'll take you on the tour you missed."

"Why not," I said in agreement. I had seen Gunny twice that week, so I felt like I needed a different perspective.

First we went to the consignment shop downtown. "One of the women, who attends church at the mission, suggested this place. They were going out of business. The mission took it over as a charity operation and now it is solvent. Volunteers staff it and do the pickups. We have a retired handyman who does repairs. Most of the items now are our own, but there are still some consignment items."

"I have an outfit that came from here. Jen picked it out for me last week, when I needed clothes to wear home from the hospital."

"It's hard to believe that last week we were in a life and death shoot out," the preacher said shaking his head.

"I know, it was pretty touchy there for a while."

"How do you deal with all that Maxine?"

"I just forgive myself, and try to move on."

"Do you admit to yourself that when you left the car with that envelope, you knew you were going to kill him?"

"I didn't know that. If I had, then it would have been murder, not self defense." I had no intention of ever admitting to that in front of anyone, not even the preacher.

"As you wish," he said gently.

"You have seen the thrift shop, the bike shop, and the mission, so there is only one business place left to see." I sat back and relaxed while the Reverend chauffeured me around in a ten year old Cadillac. I didn't ask him where he got the car, or why. I just enjoyed the ride.

The sign outside the rusty metal building was hand painted. It read 'His Laboring Few Home Beautification Service.' "Now what in the world do these guys do?" I asked

"It's part of our Drug and Alcohol Rehabilitation Service. These men, for the most part, are painters and roofers. This helps them stay out of trouble. They can't work, if they don't pass a urine test every day. So they would have a place to stay, till they get on their feet, we bought that small, very old motel down the street."

"I'd like to see that as well," I replied.

"Sure, we can go there next." he suggested.

And we did. The motel had 12 units. Each unit could sleep two individuals or a family of six if they were really desperate. I looked at the only empty unit. It was clean and smelled of pine disinfectant.

"Do your guys paint the units?"

"We inspect each unit every week and after the people move out. We paint them as needed, but we always clean and disinfect them. The only rent on these units is labor. Some of the people here work on this building, some on the paint and roofing crews, some in the bike shop, some in the thrift shop, or at the mission but everybody works. This is a mission, not a pure charity. There is self esteem in work, there is a slave mentality in charity. I learned that as a kid."

"Quite a speech, what happens if someone refuses to work?"

"We advise them of the rules, before they move in here. They even have to sign a contract. It's another self esteem booster, Give us your word, then honor it."

I just knew that the politicians were going to love this guy. The republicans, who were not known for good works, were going fall all over themselves to get on his train.

"Okay preacher it sounds really good, and you are going to be the politicians darling, but let me tell you this. If you are playing me, no matter what happens in the meantime, you will be sorry one day."

"I might play with you, but I won't play you. You have my word."

"And you have my word, if you do. I will fuck you up bad."

chapter 46

"So since I'm not playing you, how about I play with you tonight?" The preacher asked.

"Frankly preacher, I don't know how I feel about getting involved with you. I mean God is already pissed at me, I'm sure." I was smiling when I said it, but I was damn serious.

"Maybe if you play nice, I'll put in a good word for you."

"I'm not convinced that you are the one I want interceding for me." I stopped smiling when I said that,

"Why is that?" he asked.

"I'm still not convinced that you have God's ear."

"Oh, is that because you don't believe in God, or you don't believe in me?" he asked.

"Could be a little of each," I admitted.

"Well, while I try to convince you, why don't you come to my house. I promise you that you can leave anytime."

"In that case you need to take me back to my van, so I will be able to leave."

"Will you follow me home?" he asked.

"I will decide that, when I'm in my van."

The Reverend laughed out loud. "You are worse than any politician I ever heard speak. You talk but give no real answers."

"That's probably because we have no answers," I admitted.

"So if you decide to follow me home, let me assure you that you can leave at any time."

"Actually, I was more concerned with could I leave, than I was with you holding me against my will."

"Well I'm not going to tell you that I'm a great lover, I'm just going to say that I really would love to know you better,"

"Okay, I accept that because that is guy speak for I want to take your clothes off."

He laughed again. "Okay you know men, I will give you that. Mostly I want to take your clothes off because you will be a great lover, and you won't be a problem later. You and I already have a history, and you never tried to use it against me. You are one of the few women that I feel I can trust."

"Ah, but are you one of the few men that I can trust?"

"I certainly hope so, but you will only know that if you give me the chance to prove myself."

"That's a fair point. You really do need me to answer before I get out of this car, don't you?"

"Yes, I suppose I do."

"You do know that it is three in the afternoon?" I asked.

"Of course, don't tell me it's like drinking, you won't do it till the sun is over the yardarm."

"Nothing like that, but I have a question for you. How did a boy from the hood, who spent a decade in prison, get so well spoken?"

"College courses in the joint baby," he said with a smile. "You know the state tries to rehabilitate it's wayward children. I am part of the half a percent on which it worked."

"Ah too bad I didn't do time then. I could use the education."

"Oh I think you do just fine. You have something that I am struggling to learn."

"What is it?" I asked curious as to what he really thought of me,.

"The ability to understand and then manipulate people."

"Oh Preacher, you do just fine," I said smiling.

I made a call to the office from my van, before I started it. The preacher's caddy sat in the parking lot waiting to see what my intentions were.

"Luke," I said when he answered the phone. How did the pickups go." I didn't want Luke to make the deliveries alone. However picking up the papers, so that we would be ready to go Monday morning, was our usual Friday chore,

"I have six for delivery Monday Morning." he said proudly.

"Okay, then go home and give Mopsy a big sloppy kiss for me." I laughed as I said it. I knew that he had heard the talk about me from the cops he knew. Most of them thought I was pure Lesbian. Luke knew better, but he also knew or suspected that I wasn't totally opposed to spending the night with a woman either.