Mer-Manic Harmony Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I want all of you to make Melody feel welcome you can have a seat next to James at the back."

Her ears now perked up upon hearing the name, quickly looking to the back finding him in the corner staring, excited and happy to put in the class of her first friend she happily came to him, much to the fear and slight horror of the other student, filled with concern for the girl.

Sitting in the seat next to him she smiled at him and in response, he gave a lazy grin and nodded remembering her which got her even more excited. Giving a small wave which he gave back, Kai was confused at her sudden excitement.

"Alright, I'll be gone for a few minutes so don't cause trouble, especially you, James."

James held his hands out annoyed, "I don't cause trouble, the hell!?"

His teacher just sighed and left.

Students start getting up hanging in their groups of friends while others...Many actually came over to Melody, she looked nervous but eager to meet new people, they crowded her like a pack of hungry sharks but stayed away from James as he watched bored.

All of them told her how beautiful she was, all those typical questions, like where she was from and such, one girl asked what make-up she used.

"Makeup? Err."

Melody looked overwhelmed by all these people suddenly coming towards her, Kai was about to step in but James intervened.

"She doesn't need that fake stuff plastered on her face anyway."

The crowd just looked at him, confused annoyed and silent even Kai looked over but Melody gave a sigh of relief and a silent thank you to him.

"How would you know that?" one of the girls said annoyed.

He took a glance at Melody, confused at first but then realised and nodded, James turned back to the group.

"She's my friend."

"WHAT!" the group shouted even Kai confused and a little horrified.

"Melody this can't be true say it's not true how could you befriend such an asshole," a guy said.

"Fuck you," James said from the side.

The crowd watch her like a hawk she was nervous but wanted to speak.

"Don't be rude, he may be grumpy and mean and not very nice but he's my friend, the first friend I've made here, h-he's just trying to be nice," Melody said radiating innocent pureness that had an effect on the crowd.

The crowd grudgingly accepted this and stated if they ever wanted to leave him and hang out with 'real friends' which just made her frown, she could before returning to their seats.

"I have no idea if that was an insult or what, but good job," James said.

Melody squeaked excited, "That's what friends are for J."

"J?"

"A nickname."

"Don't nickname me, I hate people nicknaming me," James said frowning.

"O-Oh sorry, but this is so exciting everything is so new so different."

"Well yeah later I'll show you some popular places in town but why are you wearing a school uniform? At college, you can wear what you want."

Melody blushed, "I wanted to make a good impression and I didn't have anything else to wear does it make me look cute?"

James scratch his chin, "Sure at least you didn't come running in with bread in your mouth, but we would need to go clothes shopping to find you something."

"Oh, I heard about those! How exciting," Melody said bouncing a little with excitement.

James could not help to slightly enjoy her overly happy personality, Kai look nervous and confused, something was off about this, strange even.

They couldn't have possibly met before...Right? if so then, that shouldn't be possible.

"Hey, I'm Kai, we met yesterday when you moved in."

She turned to meet her, "Oh I remember but I never caught your name, nice to meet you."

"Likewise, If you need anything don't hesitate to ask, I'm the student council president, I normally help new students fit in."

"Oh, what's a student council president?"

"A fancy name for headteacher's pet," James injected himself into the chat, "just given orders by the headmistresses to do shit, she makes it more important than it really is."

Melody turned rising an eyebrow while Kai just looked pissed.

"That is most certainly not what a student council president is, I work hard at making this college and its student's live better, unlike you James," he just grumbled resting his head on the table board once again, "Melody I must ask how you even befriend a guy like him."

"I...I helped him in his time of need and then and became friends."

"Wait, you helped him!? With what?" Kai asked in disbelief.

Melody turned to James who shook his head.

"Sorry I can't say, friends keep secrets from each other I hope you understand," She said a little nervous, James leaned in grinning at her.

Kai just frowned, "It's alright I just don't want you to get hurt or manipulated this is all very new to you."

That made him shoot up glaring at the radiant woman.

"Excuse me!? I've never manipulated anyone before unlike you, using your 'student council president' status to tell people what to do."

Kai defended herself, "I don't manipulate anyone! The headmistress gave me authority because she knew she could trust me, I'm actually respectable unlike you who rather terrify students than actually help them!"

And like that, the class watch the two start arguing, with poor Melody stuck in the middle.

As their rivalry grew more and more intense it was then the innocent girl spoke up, stepping in.

"Please don't fight, I don't like my friends fighting with each! Please Stop!"

Both were quickly silenced by her honest words, leaving them to stare daggers at each other before sighing.

"Fine, I'll make peace for Melody just don't label me as something when it's false."

"Fine myself I'm sorry Melody," Kai said.

She smiled, "It ok, let's make this first day of college a great one."

The rest of the class went on no longer amused by it, with melody's arrival still a focused buzz, mostly just introducing everything to her who was eager to learn, she had a small bag that looked like a handbag with her filled with books and a penile case, while James just grabbed his old backpack, he had it for a very long time, filled with different memories from over the years he would never part with it, grabbing his book and single felt tip pen as class began.

The teacher closed his history book going over the history of the town how it was founded serval hundred years ago, it was used as a fishing village and a home for many and how it grew into what it was today, Melody was fascinated with it and loved every moment while James just found it boring the past is the past you learn from it and move on, student rising and eager to leave heading out to a shop or the cafeteria.

James got up grabbed his backpack and swung it over his shoulder making his way to the door, Melody brought up her own, packing her things away wanting to catch up to him but Kai moved to talk.

"Hey Melody how about I show you around the college It will be fun," Kai said smiling.

Melody was conflicted she saw James waiting by the door for her, she looked to him for an answer, but he just shrugged letting her choose.

"S-Sorry James said he would show me around," She said quietly.

"Oh ok then no problem," Kai said moving aside.

Melody rushed over to James, Kai frowned at him while he frowned back and both left into the hallway, I need to talk to the headmistress this will become a problem.

"So Melody what do you want to see first?" James asked her walking next to him in the wide marble carried, the college always felt like a modern Greek temple to him with that beach feeling.

"What do you recommend? This is still all new to me."

"Well your in luck Mel, I'm guessing the library is going to be the most important for homework and shit."

James made his way with Melody in tow, arriving at the very room was large, the librarian sleeping on the job as normal behind his desk, Melody looked around seeing the different books there were many, more than she had ever seen, rows and stacks of different books for different genres with a few tables hidden away for those who wanted to study there was no one in the room but the sleeping librarian.

"So here's the most boring place in the college but one of the most important, do you have books down where you live?"

Melody grabbed a book looking at the title, 'Healing Scars' she turns to James, "Yeah we do, we have special water-resistant books, romance is quite popular among us," she froze quickly peeking ensuring no one was around before continuing she found no one, "mermaids and mermen, girls wanting to find their prince charming and men wanting to find their princess it's all so romantic."

He rolled his eye to that stuff seeing the sparkle in Melody's.

"Sounds all sappy to me, ever heard of the little mermaid?"

"Of course! It's the most popular book under the sea, the nicer version not the other version but some still like that dark tale."

"Alright interesting," James said starting walking but stopping, "I forgot to ask, how do you have legs? The last time I saw you, you had a tail."

She turned, showing off her cute slender legs to him, "Oh well, there are actually many types of merfolk in the sea but there are two 'main' types to make it less confusing, one that can freely change between legs and tail and those who can't and need...Another way to change, but there are no spells or anything just special oceanic magic that flows in all merfolk, I can switch between legs and tail on the fly but if I'm out of seawater for more than three days we lose our ability to change and we are stuck with just our legs. Older merfolk can extend the time due to experience and power, I heard of a mermaid that spent years out of seawater and could still change back once they returned, but due to my age and not...being that powerful I have a time limit of only 3 days, like most my age really." Melody said.

"Oh...Shit, how many has it been now?"

"This is day two for me so I would need to be submerged in seawater by tomorrow tonight, thank goodness the ocean is right next to the town."

"So if you got splashed with water your tail wouldn't suddenly appear."

"Nope we can control ourselves

"Ah, at least I don't need to worry about that dumb trope."

"B-But I'm sorry if it's going to be a pain."

"Don't apologise if, at any time you get antsy about your time limit mermaid thing we could go to that lake we met, it's connected to the sea so it is covered in salt water and I'll wait for you."

"Y-You'll wait?" she said her sparkling eyes widening.

"Yeah sure."

She smiled gently, "Thank you."

"No problem, now come on I'll show you the cafe."

Melody smiled to herself as she followed James, he may be a grumpy man but he was an honest decent man, not letting anyone affect his mind, he was sure he had his kind moments.

She liked that about him and was determined to be his best friend to her new first human friend, she felt safe around him and trusted him and was glad he would step in when she was overwhelmed, she knew he would step in again to protect her, made her feel warm.

Walking through the corridor they came to a set of double doors, entering they saw many, many benches, off to the left was a long counter filled with different foods behind glass with a few vending machines for drinks and snacks, and behind the counter, a person handing out food to those who wanted it and another at the end for them to pay.

"Wow, it's so big what is the place?" Melody asked curiously.

"The cafeteria is a place you can buy food and drink...Nothing really more than that," James said walking over to a vending machine.

Melody watched him curiously, walking to the strange machine, placing some coins inside and pressing some buttons, a sound of something falling bit the button and James pressed his hand down into the machine and grabbed an orange drink, he turned to her seeing her staring.

"What?"

"What did you just do? And what's that drink?"

"Just got something from the vending machine and it's Fanta, want a taste?"

"Oh yes please," She said.

He handed her his drink, he opened the can for her and she took a sip her eye widening, "Wow it's all fizzy and cold, it's nice."

"Yeah Fanta is a type of soda or fizzy drink it's something to enjoy," he said she handed back his drink but he refused, "Keep it I could get another later."

"Thanks, James," she said smiling happily.

A little time passed and James suggested they should head to their next class geography up on the upper floor, Melody grabbed something through her bag it was a timetable telling her what was next and it was indeed geophagy.

Getting there on time the class entered James sat at a lone table at the back, a few people asked Melody if she wanted to sit with them but she kindly refused and sat with James getting dark stares from jealous boys and even girls, he just stared back knowing they won't do anything, they didn't want to mess with him but it was nice to have someone stick with him but unfortunately, Kai decided to sit with them sticking close to Melody, he didn't complain and neither did Kai but James saw the relived looks of students as their favourite student president was near their new pure angel student protecting her from the corrupted demon asshole.

The class went as smoothly as it could quickly turning to lunchtime, again James put on his small backpack snuggling tightly against his back, Melody noticed something poking out some odd stick even so she quickly followed James to the cafe but was followed by a certain annoying student.

"Don't you have some paperwork to write for the principal or something?" He asks Kai annoyed.

"No I don't I just want to make sure our new student has a good first day, I couldn't find you during break, where did you take her?" she said almost demanding to know like it was her business.

"And why is it your business to know," James said crossing his arms.

"Because it is! James, you are a danger here which you have proven time, and time again, I'm the only one who can make sure you don't cause trouble! or send someone to the hospital...Again."

Melody looked shocked while James just got angry.

"Oh god not this again," he said something Kai seems to bring up a lot, "He attacked me first! I was just defending myself, you only see it through your own eyes and ignore everything else and fine little miss pissy we went to the library and then the cafe, that's where we went, mind blowing isn't it, going to important places showing her around as I said earlier," he stated losing his temper.

Kai frowned and scoffed, before walking away, "This is not the last you heard of me, James."

"Aww running away to the headmistress I'm so scared," sarcastically speaking.

Melody was silent during the whole event watching to two of them, wanting to stay quiet however she couldn't contain the curiosity inside her.

"James, what's the problem between you and Kai?"

James grumbled and walked into the cafe Melody followed.

"She just doesn't like me because I'm not under her 'commanding spell' she thinks I'm just some violent animal waiting and eager for a fight it's so damn annoying if people are going to fuck with me then I'll fight back what's so bad about that? She even called me a psychopath! And the whole damn school is head over heels for her so they believed her and I don't even know why I mean she hot but...No I think it's just because she's hot."

"Well, I think it's because she's a mer..." She covered her mouth silencing herself.

James stopped, and slowly turned his head towards her raising an eyebrow, "She's a what?"

She shook her head refusing to answer, he stared her down but she stayed firm.

He stared at her a grin creeping on his face, "She's a mermaid isn't she?"

"N-No, no she's not a mermaid that crazy completely crazy your so funny James," She said quickly.

He just raised an eyebrow at the twitchy girl...He grinned which was quite scary from Melody's point of view.

His dominating, knowing stare cracked the innocent creature.

"You're a terrible liar Melody," he chuckled patting his new friend's shoulder, "to think this whole time she was a damn fishy fucker, ha this is hilarious."

"Please don't say anything," Melody pleaded.

"I won't that's what friends do anyway we keep secrets," James said while walking on behind Melody gave a quiet sigh of relief.

Lunch was simple Melody asked him questions about humans and what they liked and he gave his best possible answer, she also asked about the thing poking out of his bag, and he grabbed it revealing it to be an old busted-up baseball bat, he explained, sometimes his fist was not enough to beat his foes for he did say he got into a lot of fights but never started them unless it was to help someone, he didn't like standing by while someone was getting bullied or hurt.

He got out a plastic container with food and a drink inside, his was clear but Melody brought one out too but this one was a lot more detailed and prettier.

"Oh, you have a packed lunch too? Did you make yours?"

"No my mother did, she always makes me lunches just to make sure I have something during the day, even tho she doesn't have to she still makes them, I'm not 11," He said once again grumbling, grabbing a sandwich and bottle water, "You make yours? Wait do you live on your own?"

"Yep all on my own it's lonely but great I have a massive bath I can completely fit inside," she said excited, "Including my tail," she whispered, "It a special place near the sea as well as being a big and spacious apartment, the building is very, very special for every person there is a mermaid merman the owner is a merman who came from the sea to be with his wife it's romantic, but what about you? Where do you live?"

"I live with my mother and two twin sisters they're seven years younger than me," he said taking a bite of her sandwich.

"Aww, I'd love to meet them."

"Well, you are my friend so sure, one time whenever or something."

She squealed with excitement and took a bite of her food, the day passed on classes happened and Melody loved it all, they still chatted with each other, enjoying each other company, they had just finished the day, time to go home, James was going to ask Melody something but Kai cut in.

"Melody headmistress wants to see you soon," Kai said.

"Ok then I'll be right there come on James," she said turning to him.

He grabbed his thing and nodded, but again Kai joined in.

"He can't join for...Reasons, he can just go home."

"I do what I want and if it is private I'll just wait outside I planned on showing Melody around the town, it is her first real day here."

Melody looked excited while Kai glared annoyed, "No James this is a private matter your not allowed anywhere near, go home and stop being a pain for once."

"Don't tell me what to do Kai," he said getting pissed.

To two stared dagger at each other once again, and poor Melody watched from the sidelines, knowing she had to do something but what? Then saving her from distress, the door suddenly slid open revealing a beautiful tall woman.

Long dark hair that was always pulled up, her black suit hugged and amazing figure she straightening her glasses looking stern but still amazing she was the headmistress of the whole college.

"James, Kai I hope you not causing a problem," the woman's amazing voice came out making them turn towards her.

Kai then came alive, tidying herself before shaking her head, her attitude completely changing.

"No of course not headmistress Azure, it's James who is the one causing the problem."

"No way! she's telling me what to do and I'm refusing, simple as that!" he crossed his arms glaring, "all I want to hang out with my friend later it is her first time here in Coral Cove City."

She look at the both of them knowing it was more than that, firmly knowing the animosity they have for each other.

123456...9