Michael or Mac Ep. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As Amelia reaches the front, she leans forward and whispers. "Thank you for inviting Mac." He gives her his 'I'm not happy' look. Amelia ignores it and faces the vicar still beaming.

The rest of the service is relatively boring, and it isn't long before they sign the registry and make their way back down the aisle to a round of applause.

Lucas gives me a serious look when he goes past, and I lean into Emma, "Do you think he's pleased to see me?"

Emma's laughter is cut short by Mr. Havenar grabbing my arm. "I thought you were asked to stay away, Michael?"

"Lucas invited him," Paps said from a little behind him.

Mr. Havenar's head looks round to Paps. "Lucas invited him?" Paps nods his head in response. Then Mr. Havenar seems to come to his senses and sees everyone in the church looking at him. He lets go of my arm and walks out in an exaggerated way.

As Emma and I finally get outside, I can see Lucas, Amelia, and Mr. Havenar in a heated discussion. Paps is standing next to the door talking to one of my CEOs. "Hello, Mr. Carter. It's good to see you again."

"Hello Jackson, how's the wife?"

"She's great but couldn't make it today because she's eight months pregnant."

"Well, good luck.....Jackson, this is my girlfriend, Emma."

"Yes, you've been the latest gossip item for us CEOs," he says, stretching and shaking her hand.

"And Jackson, can you do me a favor and not let on who I am to Lucas."

"Oh, I saw that in the church. Should I be worried?"

"No, it's just Amelia, and I grew up together. Paps owns the beach house next door, and Lucas is a little jealous of me. He didn't want me to come and then inadvertently invited me. None of the people around here know who we are, and we would like it to stay that way for now."

"Okay, no problem. I get that people around here like to show off a little." He smiles broadly. "I like that you're not like that."

"Yeah, my parents, and then Paps, insisted I stay grounded."

"Today is going to be a little more interesting than I thought," Jackson smiles broadly.

"So, do you attend all your employee's weddings?"

"If I am free, I think it's important to show support."

"Good man," I say, patting him on his shoulder.

Several photos are taken outside the church before we make our way to the Havenar's house. "Can't wait to see what they've done this time," Emma says.

"Are you here just to see how lavish the wedding is?"

"Well, if October was anything to go by, this should be something else."

We walk with the crowd enjoying the sun. A couple of people walked over and asked me if I am Mac. When I confirm it, they always ask for a selfie. As you can guess, we have get a number of requests once one person asks. Emma and I are some of the last guests to get to the house, and once again, we have our invites checked before we enter.

"Wow," Emma says as we enter the main house. Every wall, entrance, and ceiling is draped with white and silver fabric. The whole garden is a giant marquee, and the pool is covered, making a raised area for the wedding party to be seen.

We stand around talking and drinking cocktails and catching up with the neighbors. I'm getting a lot of attention as word gets around that I am here, which doesn't help to keep a low profile. I end up promising that sometime in the evening, I would play Emma for them.

I'm saved by the announcement that we need to take our seats. Emma and I are sitting next to Jackson and at the table next to Paps. We sit and wait for proceedings to begin. Talking to the other people at the table, we've been put in with the highfliers and local residents. One oversight for Lucas is that we are on the wrong side for him to see us.

"I think your boy dropped the ball there. He should have had us over the other side," I say to Jackson.

"Yeah, but I like being away from any shop talk." He says in return.

Our conversation is cut by, "Ladies and gentlemen, please stand for the bride and groom."

We stand and watch Amelia and Lucas take their seats. We sit, and Mr. Havenar stands. "Ladies and gentlemen, friends, colleagues, and members of our incredible family. I wish to thank you all for coming and welcome you to this wonderful day." There's a ripple of applause. "It seems like yesterday that little Amelia was running around here with her hair in pigtails, causing all sorts of mischief." There's a ripple of laughter as people remember what a pain she was. "Today, though, I have the pleasure of welcoming Lucas to the family, and I hope you will all be as welcoming as you have been to all my family. Thank you." He sits and is patted on the arm by Amelia.

Then dinner is announced, and a flood of servers bring out food platters and place them at the center of each table.

I see Lucas looking at me from time to time. My first instinct is to talk to people and enjoy myself as much as possible. I think it will be better to act like I am supposed to be here, but he doesn't look happy. I can't imagine how thrilled he will be if he realizes I am the boss he invited.

The dinner goes without a problem until Amelia walks over to me and drapes her arms around my neck. "Mac, would you do me the privilege of playing Emma for my Father and me to dance to later?"

I take a deep breath, "Sure, Amelia. Can I use the grand piano?"

Amelia giggles, "Baby, you can use anything you want."

"Are you sure? I might steal your thunder."

"Mac, this will mean more to me than anything."

I smile and pat her arm. "Let me know when you want me." Amelia smiles broadly, kisses my cheek, and walks off.

"What did she ask?" Emma says.

"She wants me to play Emma for her and Mr. Havenar for their dance."

"Oh, I love that song," a woman from the other side of the table suddenly says.

"Yes, it is beautiful Emma says, looking at me."

"So, are you a musician?" The woman continues.

"I play for pleasure," I say.

"Honey," the woman's husband says before his wife says anymore. "This is Mac, the guy who wrote and performed the song with Miley Cyrus."

She gasped, "I'm so sorry I didn't recognize you, Mac."

"That's okay, and I'm not comfortable with being recognized anyway."

Jackson leans over. "Do I need to worry about my job security?"

"No, Jackson, I am committed to the company." I look at him. "Music was my escape from my mental turmoil. I will not let the hundreds of thousands that work for me down. They are more important to me than anything, and I will not let them down."

"Not even for Emma?"

"I don't think that's even a possibility. I would never ask Mac to choose, and I have committed myself to him. There's no question in my mind that we will ever separate," Emma says before I can answer.

"But you are both young; how can you know."

"Have you heard the song, Emma?" The lady across the table asks. Jackson nodded. "No, I mean, really listened to the whole song. Not the short version in the charts, but the full version. If you had, you wouldn't ask that question." She smiles at both Emma and me. "Every woman in the world is jealous of you, Emma," she adds.

"Thank you," Emma says. "I know how lucky I am." She leans over and kisses my lips. "I love you," she whispered.

"I love you too, baby," I say back.

The tables are cleared, and the speeches are made. Emelia and Lucas cut the cake, and Emma goes up for the bouquet toss. She's more than happy when it lands in her hands. As she walks back, she has the most beautiful smile.

Then Emelia and Lucas get up for the first dance, and I get a tap on the shoulder. "Excuse me, sir, but I've been asked to come and get you." I nod and excuse myself from the table.

The grand piano is usually in the family room, and was brought out for the afternoon's entertainment. It is raised a little so people can watch the person play. I sit in the dark watching the bride and groom dance to Amazed, originally sung by Lonestar, but they have a live band, and the female singer is doing a good rendition.

As the song ends, the Bride and Groom walk off to generous applause. The singer then checks I am in place before saying, "ladies and gentlemen. This must be the most incredible announcement I will ever have to make. It is time for the Bride's Father and the Bride to take the dance floor. I have the greatest pleasure of announcing that they will dance to the incredible song, Emma. This evening we have the rare privilege of Mac being here to perform for us."

I hear Lucas say something or another as a larger round of applause resonates around the room. I close my eyes, take a deep breath and start to play. When I open my eyes, Amelia and her Father are still seated. I see Mr. Havenar stand and take Amelia's hand as they make their way to the dance floor. As they settle into their dance, I sing as the two move around the dance floor in what looks like a practiced waltz. I close my eyes again and feel myself getting lost in the song. When I open them again, the dance floor is full, and Amelia is there with the biggest grin on her face, slowly dancing now with a bemused-looking dad.

I scan the crowd and see Emma dancing with Paps, and then I see the female singer of the band sitting off to the side, watching me. I gesture her over, and she hesitates at first and then comes over and sits next to me on the piano seat. I whisper in her ear, "Would you like to do the Miley part?"

She looks overwhelmed and manages to nod. Then she starts to sing. The joy on her face makes me smile and gives me a great sense of satisfaction that takes me a little by surprise. We sing together, and our harmonies are very well-matched. As the song comes to its end, the place erupts with applause. I thank everyone and the singer, who gives me an impromptu hug before I return to the table.

The band starts up again, but before they get going, the lead singer gushes about how privileged it has been to share the stage with me. I raise my glass to her, and she blows me a kiss.

Emma and I relax into the night, and we have a couple of dances, and sit chatting with the people around us. Luckily most people near us are residents and people I have grown up around.

Emma and I wander into the main house as the night winds down. As we get close to the main living space, I see Paps leaning against the door, looking in.

"What's going on, Paps?" I ask.

"Ah, the usual. See who's got the biggest dick."

"What?"

"The Havenars are playing their favorite game to see who's the wealthiest. I've never really been interested."

"Oh, we are thinking of heading back," I say.

Just before Paps can answer, I hear a "Mac."

I look in and see a drunk Lucas. "Hey Lucas, we're thinking of heading off."

"Nonsense, you've got time to play our little game, haven't you?" I'm not sure what he's up to, but I give an awkward smile as Amelia comes over and leads me further into the room. "It's simple: we all write our net worth on a piece of card. The one who got the biggest number wins."

I get handed a piece of card and a marker pen. Mr. Havenar looks confident as I write my one point four billion down. Emma and I take a seat as each resident reveals their value and goes and stands in a line. "Talk about humiliating," I say to Emma.

"For them or you," she replies.

"Both," I say. She smiles at me and pats my leg.

"There's not a lot of happy faces out there," she says, looking at the line.

"That's because the Havenars always win. It's the only reason they play."

"Maybe it's another step on the road to becoming who you are?"

I hadn't thought of that, but I've always found it rude to tell people my true worth. Although if asked, I never hide it.

"Mac," Lucas calls. It looks like I'm last. There are twelve people in the line. Their net worth varies from two point four million to Mr. Havenar's four hundred and eighty million. "Mac, walk to your place in the line and reveal your net worth."

I look around the room and all faces are looking my way. Lucas has this weird grin on his face where he thinks he will embarrass me. Emelia sits on the edge of her seat, waiting to see what I am worth. The rest of the room is looking in my direction, waiting for me to move.

I get up and walk to the first person in the line. "Mr. Pearson, two point four million," I say and shake my head. "No, I'm afraid I beat you." I do this with each resident, telling each person the same. I see Mr. Havenar feeling a little less comfortable.

Finally, I reach Mr. Havenar. "Mr. Havenar...Impressive, four hundred and eighty Million." I pause, "I'm so.."

Mr. Havenar rips the card from my hand. "Let me look at that...One point four billion. Is that some sort of joke?" He says, sneering at me.

"Actually, it's One point Five at the last count," Paps says from the door. "Olivia phoned through the mid-term figures on Tuesday."

"Okay, if you are that well off, you will be on Forbes's rich list.

Amelia gets her phone out, "Michael Alexander Carter," she says as she types it in. She looks at me, "Date of birth and SSN" I walk over and put in my Social Security Number, but she already knows my date of birth. Her eyes bulge, "One point six on here," she says, showing the phone to her father. "But it also says your company's net worth is almost four point five." Amelia looks at her father, who seems a little deflated. Not surprisingly, the other guys in the line look a lot happier.

"Wait, you are Michael Alexander Carter?" Lucas says. I nod at him as he realizes who I am.

Jackson walks in and laughs. "Yes, Lucas, he's your boss, didn't you know?" He then adds, "Don't worry; he's not the sort of boss who will fire you for being jealous."

Lucas doesn't look happy. "Get fired?" he says. "I quit."

"You quit, you'll be sleeping alone until you see sense," Amelia shouts.

*********

Once again let me know what you think of this episode and any constructive comments are always welcome.

Don't forget to score me and please be kind.

Thank you for taking time to read my stories.