Michael or Mac Ep. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Matt laughs. "Do you think there will be a backlash?"

"Oh yes, heaven forbid we interrupt their shopping trips now." They both laugh.

"Right, Matt, I will see you Thursday morning," I say, ending the call.

"Okay, Mac, I'll see you Thursday," the line goes quiet.

I look at Olivia, and she's already on the phone with Paps. He's fine with it and apologized for letting it slip over the last few years.

******

We are the first flight out of Charlotte on Thursday morning as we make the fifty-minute trip to Charlestown. I close my eyes and let the comfort of the company jet relax me. The two main issues on the table today are the expansion plans of the HQ and the possible purchase of the company near Nashville. We know Uncle Calvin will try to slow or block our attempt to put the wheels in motion. Luckily we have insisted on the main stockholder attending, which means my Aunty Allison will be there.

I am wearing the same suit that I wore to Amelia's wedding. My hair is the longest it's ever been and is swept back and tied out of the way. We have to be early in the office because the FBI wants to set up surveillance just in case. One of the unanswered questions the FBI will be hoping to find out is how much my Aunty knows about what Calvin is up to. It has gone seven when we make our way through the airport and get into the waiting Limo. Traffic is still light this time of the morning as we pull up outside the front door.

The doorman, Ted, opens the Limo's door and tips his hat when he sees me get out. "Good morning Master Carter."

"Good Morning, Ted; you haven't seen me."

"Seen who?" He says. "Don't worry. I've already had my instructions from Mr. Costa."

"Thank you, Ted," I say with a smile.

"May I say there's been a total change here since your last visit?"

I turn back, "all good, I hope."

"Much better. Your Uncle was fuming when he left the day after your visit."

"I bet," I say, pleased with myself.

"You have a good day, Mr.....sir," Ted says, realizing he nearly shouted to the world who I was.

"Ted, remember, my door will always be open to anyone with a question," I call back before I walk in, negotiating the rotating door.

"What was all that 'my door will always be open' about?" Papa asks.

"Ted most probably knows more than most. I will always like to be seen as approachable," I say, looking down at the C&W logo inlaid into the floor.

The first face I see is a beaming Stephany. "Good morning Mr. Carter, Mr. Walker," She says when Paps and I reach the desk.

"Good morning Stephany," I say. Paps doesn't say much. Stephany glances at Paps, expecting a response. "Don't mind, Paps, Stephany; he's still grumpy because he had to get up before the sun." Stephany smiles at my comment.

The elevator pings and Matt Costa exits with a huge smile. "Good morning. This is a big day," she says, shaking both Paps and my hand.

"Good Morning Matt," Paps says. "Did you have any more grief?"

"No, Paps. Once I dropped your name, everyone, including Calvin, shut up." He then looks at me. "Mac, the plans you sent me are incredible. When will work start?"

"Let's get them past the board first. The architect is English and will be here in early July if everything goes to plan. We should be breaking ground by the new year as long as planning is in place. If we get the okay from the board, can we show the staff this afternoon?"

"I can't see why not. I will put the word out to get as many in as possible. Most are here anyway, and I'm sure some of the people only here for today will want to see them."

"Can I leave it with you then?"

"Can we use the conference room?"

"I should think so; it would be more comfortable than the downstairs staff canteen."

I thank Stephany, and we make our way to the elevator.

"Good morning Mr. Carter, Mr. Walker," Jaden says as soon as we enter my office's lobby.

"Good morning Jaden. How are you?" I ask.

"I'm good, thank you for asking. Olivia is already here. Is there anything I can get you?"

"Can we get some breakfast?" I ask.

"I think the staff cafeteria makes a good breakfast. Would you like me to get some sent up?"

"Yes, please. I would go down, but we don't want to advertise my presence," I say.

"The food downstairs is one of the improvements since your last visit. I must say, coming to work is much better, thank you."

"That's good to hear. Hopefully, that's just the start."

"There have been many rumors," Jaden says, unsure if she should ask.

I take a breath. "I'll tell you what, Jaden. Order our breakfast up here, and when you are done, meet me in my office."

Jaden smiles, not knowing if it's a good thing. I make my way to the office, where Olivia is on the phone. Paps has made himself comfortable at the desk and is going through the paperwork for the meeting.

I take a seat on the couch and check my phone. Emma has messaged me wishing me luck and then gone into a moan about how much she's missing me. I smile; I miss her as well.

Jaden enters with a tray of drinks, and I pat the seat next to me so we can chat. She looks a little worried. "No need to worry, Jaden; this is just an informal chat."

She smiles at me and sets the tray down before taking the prepared drinks to everyone. She sits looking a little uncomfortable next to me. "Is this okay?" she asks.

"Did you not want a drink?" I ask.

"Oh, Ummm. Is it alright if I get some juice?"

"Fine," I take a sip out of my tall mug. As she sits back down, I say, "Right, now don't worry about asking anything. If I can't answer something, I will tell you."

"Okay, can I ask how your music will affect us?"

"It won't. The music is just an unexpected distraction. I have committed my life to this company."

"Okay, people have been talking about the expansion, and there are rumors about you introducing daycare?"

"Yes, if we approve the plans, one of the improvements will be staff access to free daycare."

"Free?"

"Yes, free. We have always supported our employees to make working for us a better experience. I'm ashamed to say those standards haven't been as high here. With help from Olivia, I aim to bring them up to the same standards as we have in other parts of the group. From what I have gathered, the city will help us set up, and the benefits far outweigh the cost. Even if the expansion is denied, we will still look into creating something on a smaller scale."

"I have a one-year-old, so that will suit me better.....When will we see you here full-time?"

"Ahh, that's still at least four, maybe five years off. I have University to attend, but you will see more of me than you have. I will spend more time here or out visiting the factories as the time for me to take over gets closer," I say.

Jaden sits back and drinks her orange juice looking happy with my answers. "Mac, where's Emma today?" She asks without thinking.

"Emma is at school; she's worked really hard to bring her scores up and didn't want to fall behind."

There's a knock on the door. FBI Agents Nicholas and Tyler walk in.

"Agents, have you everything you need?" Olivia asks.

"Yes, thank you. We are set and ready to go. Is there any chance we can get something to eat from your canteen?"

I look at Jaden; she smiles and nods as she gets up. "Jaden here will help you with that," I say. Both agents follow her out.

I spend the next hour eating and talking on my phone to Emma. She is up and on her way to school with Donna and Mia. She doesn't like me away at the same time as Ron, but it can't be helped. She is telling me that Donna wants to do another live show. Since the track Emma came out, Donna's combined TikTok and YouTube followers have hit four million. I end up telling Emma, 'we will see,' but again, she takes that as I am doing it.

It's three minutes to nine, and we make the short walk to the boardroom. The boardroom is incredible, with pictures of all past CEOs, including Paps and Grammy. All paintings, being a family firm, have their respective spouses, and at the head of the table behind where I sit is the painting of my parents.

I hang back deliberately so I am last in the door. Paps leads the way, followed by Jaden, Olivia, and me. As we get close, I can hear raised voices. There are several groups of employees outside talking when Paps turns the corner. Again I slow down so nobody sees me. Paps has instructed me to take control the moment I walk in. The way I plan to do that is to take the room by surprise, so nobody has time to oppose me. Everyone quickly files into the room.

Paps, Jaden, and Olivia walk in without a word. Paps would normally sit at the head of the table. He takes a seat to the right and away from the table. Olivia and Jaden sit behind my chair. There's still a raised voice until I enter, and the room goes silent.

"What is all the shouting about?" I ask. Uncle Calvin still stood looking a little shocked at my entrance. With a loud thud, I drop my large folder down on the hard oak table. "I will ask again. What is all the shouting about?" I look around at familiar faces I haven't seen for years.

"I was trying to find out why my decision to change the meeting to Wednesday was overturned," Uncle Calvin said, not sounding as confident as usual. He's a little intimidated by this six-foot man with more than an air of confidence.

"Who are you....."

"I'm your Uncle Calvin," he says, cutting me off.

"Cut me off again, and I will have you escorted from the room," I say firmly without letting any of my anger show.

"You can't do that."

"Oh yes, he can," Olivia says from behind me.

"I was going to ask who do you think you are to think you can change the day of the meeting. Then I was going to ask why, before you shouted over the top of me." I take a deep breath to calm myself again. I look around the room, and every eye is on me. "Let me make myself clear. I do not expect people to be shouting in here or talking over someone when they are speaking. Letting the other person finish what they are saying is common courtesy before you put in your ten cents worth." There are a couple of nods in agreement as I look around the boardroom of people for the first time. "From now on, Uncle, you will conduct yourself with a calm, even voice. That goes with everyone. Please submit your request by writing if anyone needs me to explain how to use good manners." There's a little chuckle at my corporate joke.

Uncle Calvin is stunned at my lecture on correctness for a moment. He coughs, "Sorry for speaking over you, Michael. I asked for the meeting to be brought forward so I could get away on a well-earned break for a long weekend.

I breathe out heavily. "From what I understand, only a stakeholder can change the date of this meeting, and they have to give a good reason. You going on a break is not a good reason." I look at Olivia, and she nods that I am correct. "Uncle Calvin, please take your seat, and where is your wife?" I ask.

"She phoned me and is running a little late. She sends her apologies and should be here soon."

I nod. "Well, we can start without her," I say, turning to Jaden. I attended a few meetings when I was younger and know how they are conducted. "Jaden, can you run through the points of the last meeting and what is on the agenda for today?"

Jaden smiles and runs through the last meeting. She mentions the expansion plan and everyone needing to review each application. Jaden then runs through what we have to discuss today.

When she mentions the proposed takeover of the Nashville plant, Uncle Calvin stands, stopping Jaden.

She looks at me, not knowing what to do. "Uncle Calvin, sit down, please. What did I say about letting people finish what they are saying?"

"But, I need to have a say about my factory."

"Jaden is just going through the points of the meeting, Uncle Calvin. You can have your say when the discussion is on the table. The rule about talking over people includes everyone, including Jaden."

"But I don't see the point," he says.

"Sit down," I say in a louder, more authoritative voice.

"Who do you think you are talking to me like that," he shouts back.

I'm losing my patience and stand abruptly, slamming my fist on the table, trying to gain some semblance of control. "I am the man that was born to lead this family firm. I am the man whose family turned their backs on him when he needed them most, but I will still be the man you will look to if something goes wrong. I am the man you told was at fault for his parents and grandmother's deaths at my grandmother's funeral. Either sit down, or I will have you escorted from the building." There are a couple of gasps, and several of my female relatives have their hands over their mouths and are giving Uncle Calvin dirty looks.

Uncle Calvin slowly sits down, opening and closing his mouth with no sound coming out. I take a deep breath and look around at the shocked faces looking back at me. Everyone I look at can't keep eye contact other than my cousin. He's eight years older than me and was in University when all this happened.

I take a deep breath and speak in a calmer voice. "What Uncle Calvin said at Grammy's funeral profoundly affected my life. It took me years and many trips to the psychiatrist to help me believe what I thought wasn't true. I pushed everyone away, including the people that were there for me. Unlike my extended family, they cared enough to give me the support I needed at the right time. Olivia here was my mother's best friend. She's seen me at my worst and still was there every birthday and every Christmas. Another three ladies back in Charlotte watched over me, fed me, and got me to school when I didn't want to go. These ladies have been a better family than everyone at this table." I take a sip of water. "I have made a commitment to this family business. I will take over fully when the time is right and run it the way my parents and their predecessors envisaged. I will treat everyone, including Uncle Calvin, fairly and equally. My personal opinion of anyone will not cloud any business decision I have to make. This is not only who I think I am but know I am." I sit, and there's silence.

I turn to Jaden and nod. She carries on with the itinerary. I look at Paps, and he gives me a nod of approval.

"First up, the expansion," Jaden finally says, finishing her part.

I look around the room and smile to myself. They all look like a class of kids who haven't done their homework. "Judging by the looks on everyone's faces, no one has bothered to look at any of the proposed plans?"

"We've tried several times and got knocked back each time," my cousin Mason says. He's not long taken over his role.

"So you didn't bother. Can I ask, does anyone like the building as it is configured? Is it comfortable for the staff you bring along? Do your CEOs work well here?" There's a lot of shaking of the heads. "Then it's worth a look," I add. I stand and walk around the back of the family, sitting around the table. "I set this task and got the same reaction from Olivia, but she still did her job. She also came across a plan that might get planning consent." There's mumbling in the room.

The door opens, and a flustered Aunt Allison walks in. "Sorry, I'm late," she says without explanation. Then she sees me standing behind my great aunty Agnes, and her face drops in shock. "Hello, Michael; I didn't realize you were here." To my surprise, she stops in front of me and is the first to greet me with a hug. "It's good to see you," she whispers.

That was the icebreaker in the room. Aunty Agnes turns to me as Allison walks away. "I would like one of them to greet my niece's son to the meeting." She gets up and hugs me. "You look so handsome like your father but have your mother's eyes," she says.

"Thank you, Aunty, but the rest of you can wait until after the meeting to say your hellos," I say, feeling awkward. I look across at Aunty Allison, who needs help figuring out where to sit. "Uncle Calvin, you can now let your wife take her rightful seat."

Uncle Calvin stands and lets his wife sit. "Where am I meant to sit?"

"You need to sit in a similar place that Olivia is sitting to me," I say. There are a couple of laughs around the table as Uncle Calvin finds a chair and sits behind his wife.

"Right, Aunty Allison, you haven't missed much. Other than your husband shouting his mouth off about something not within his power. A lesson in boardroom etiquette and respect for others. I had a rant at your husband and then everyone else. Jaden then read the minutes, and I have just started on the first item of the day, the expansion plans of this very building." Aunty Allison looks around at her husband and gives him a stern look. I continued, "I had just asked everyone if anyone had looked at the plans that had been submitted. Cousin Mason informed me that it was a waste of everyone's time because of our past experience with planners. I was just about to show everyone what they missed." I take a deep breath. "Did I miss anything, Jaden?"

"Ummm, no, Mr. Carter. I think you summed it up very well," Jaden says, smiling at me.

"Thank you, Jaden. Now.......back to where I had got to... Olivia noticed that out of all the plans, only one had a cat in hell's chance of making it to planning. A Mr. James Stokes from England has developed a concept that Olivia and I think will get through planning." There's a mumbling between CEOs. "If you will indulge me for a minute while we show you Mr. Stokes' presentation and his ideas." I look over to Olivia. "Olivia, would you do the honors?"

Olivia stands and walks over to switch the lights off, simultaneously turning the large flat screen built into the wall behind my chair. She goes through the run-through and the floor-by-floor layout, pointing out all the changes and added facilities. At the end of the presentation, she turns the light on and asks for any questions. There was a number including cost, the viability of the daycare center, who James works for, and time scale."

I sit back down. "Ladies and gentlemen, what I ask you today is permission to put in for planning and for the groundwork for final plans to be done. We are not asking for final build permission. That will be during the end-of-year meeting."

Jaden stands. "Ladies and gentlemen of the board. Can I see a show of hands to proceed to the planning stage?" Every hand goes up, and Jaden makes a note. "Against....." No hands. "I will log that the motion is passed.....Second, on the agenda is the possible acquisition of the Nashville site by central."

Uncle Calvin stands. "Like I tried to tell you earlier. There's no need to proceed. We are confident of making a profit on that site this year."

"Hang on a minute," Aunty Allison says. "Are we at risk of losing one of my sites?" She turns to her husband. "Would you like to explain why this is the first I'm hearing of this?"

"It's under control, babe," Calvin says, trying to smooth his wife over.

"Don't babe me; if they are talking about buying us out, it means you've had a problem for years." She looks back at me, more angry than upset.

I smiled at her. "Aunt Allison, we just need to start the process; I'm sure it won't come to a full transfer of assets." She takes a deep breath and nods.

We go through other items on the agenda, and before I know it, it's time for lunch. The meeting is closed, and we all stand around talking. I notice many of my relatives not wanting to engage in conversation with me, which suits me for now.

Aunty Allison approaches me, "It's so good to see you here, Michael, finally. I must say the expansion of this place looks good and is long overdue."

"Thank you, Aunty. Yes, the design ticks a lot of boxes for city initiatives." I look over to Olivia. "Olivia, where are we having lunch?"