Michael or Mac Ep. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh, Christ, Keira, please," she notices me glance at her hand. "Wondering if you kiss it or shake it?" She says, putting me at ease instantly.

"Something like that," I say, smiling. I take her hand and shake it gently. "Oh, before I forget," I say. I turn back to Jimmy and put my hand in my pocket. I pull out the photo of him and my mother that was taken when she was pregnant with me. "Here, I thought I would bring this. I believe my father took it."

I hand him the photo, and his face changes. "Your mother was a beautiful woman. The world lost a good one when she passed. Can we use this on the show?" I nod, and Jimmy smiles and turns to one of his assistants. "Deni, can you take this to Stephan? He'll know what to do with it." The girl takes the photo and quickly exits the room. Jimmy turns back. "That will upset the director; she hates last-minute changes."

"Hey, do I get ignored tonight?" A voice says from the far side of the room.

I smile at an unhappy-looking Taylor Swift. "I better not; you might write a song about me," I say.

Both Keira and Adele laugh. "Oh, I like him already," Keira says.

"And he's like a normal person," Adele jokes.

"Shame, he won't fit in with us weirdos," Taylor says. "There again, he does hang out with Miley," she adds. Taylor doesn't hold out a hand and comes straight in for a hug. "So," she says. "What is Jimmy up to? There must be a good reason to change the show so last minute."

"Yeah, what gives Jimmy?" Keira says.

"You mean they don't know why I'm here?" I ask, looking back at Jimmy.

"No, we couldn't risk the story leaking before tonight. So, I need to get to makeup and so do you lot. Time to make ourselves look human and ready, ladies." Jimmy claps his hand all camp and show-busy.

Jimmy escapes, and a double door opens to the side. I glance at Emma as if to say, 'can you believe this.' She shrugs, and I follow Adele through the doors and take the last of the four seats. Each seat has our name on the back and a woman waiting next to it.

"Hello, Mac. I'm Melisa, and I will be looking after you tonight." She looks at me to appraise me.

Keira looks across. "You have an easy job tonight, Melisa. He's a very good-looking man," she says. I smile and blush a little. "Oh, sweet, he's a blusher," Keira says with pure joy.

"Oh, don't embarrass Mac Keira," Taylor says from behind me. "He is good looking though, might be worth a heartbreak he's not mine, song." I look in the mirror in front of me to see a 'got ya' look on Taylor's face.

The other two laugh. "What is this? Pick on the only guy in the room," I say.

"Ummmm, yep," Keira says.

"So what are you singing tonight, Mac," Taylor says.

"Jimmy has asked for me to sing, Emma. Other than that, I thought I would mix a couple of songs together. I sing Emma on my entrance and later have fifteen minutes to fill," I say.

"You're not doing one of mine, are you?" Adele says. "I've heard that once an artist hears you sing one of theirs, it's not the same song after."

"Why haven't you ever done one of mine," Taylor says before I can answer Adele.

I laugh awkwardly. "No disrespect to your music; I just don't listen to your music. It's not something I grew up with or grabs me like others."

"Oh, sugarcoat it, why not," she says smiling.

There's silence for a second, and then Adele says, "So why mine then?"

"My mother introduced me to your first album, and '21' was one the last albums she bought. One of my last memories of my mum was us singing along to 'Set Fire To The Rain' and 'Someone Like You'. '25' hit me in a different way. That was at a low time in my life when I realized what I had lost in Emma and 'When We Were Young' related to me in so many ways."

"Wow, to hear that from you......I don't think you know what effect you are having on the music industry by not wanting to be part of it and still being so bloody brilliant. I would be privileged if you played one of mine tonight."

I don't know what to say and look at Melisa with a 'can you believe this' look. "So, what are we doing? Would you like me to trim your hair?"

"Yeah, and then just the anti-shine; I don't do a lot of makeup," I say.

"Oh, no. You've got to do the full-on makeup like me," Adele says.

I let Melisa get on with it; she does a good job. I get up out of the chair and go back into the room. Emma walks over to see me. "Hey baby, you are looking hot. We have just been asked to take our seats," she says.

"Okay, baby, I'm last out, so enjoy the show. Emma loops her arms around my neck and kisses me. She steps away and gives me a little wave before one of the assistants shows her where to go.

I sit on one of the sofas and get handed a drink. "Help yourself to the food," the girl says. I smile at her and watch the screen on the wall.

"Mind if I join you?" Taylor says. I pat the seat, and she sits down. "You know, I was a little pissed when I heard you and Miley had done Emma together. Emma is one of those songs every artist wishes they had done," she says, pausing momentarily. "To think it was made within a few miles of me."

"If you had called me, I would have come. Unfortunately for you, it was Miley," I say.

"What, if I called you to collaborate, you would come?"

"Why not?" I say. "Just because I don't sing your music doesn't mean I don't respect you as an artist or wouldn't work with you. Your only problem will be getting our diaries to match."

"Can I have your number?"

"Hey, I want your number as well," Adele says, walking back in.

I unlock my phone and give it to Taylor; she calls herself and then saves the contact in my phone. I hand it to Adele, and she does the same. Keira looks at me, wanting to ask, so I give it to her when Adele hands it back.

"So, is there any competition between you and Miley?" I ask Taylor.

"Not really, we are both from the same city, but her music is different from mine."

"Taylor," a man calls from the door. "It's time to get into position." Taylor gets up and makes her way to the door looking a little nervous.

Adele sits beside me, "I would like to do a song with you as well. I hear you are doing Glastonbury this year. Any chance of spending a couple of extra days in London?"

"Not sure; I guess it could be arranged. What you got in mind?"

"I don't know if I'm honest, but with you coming over, it will inspire me," she leans into me. "Keira loves Emma."

"The song or person?" I ask.

"The song. I will also be at the premiere in Canne," she says from the opposite sofa.

"Make sure you come over and say hi. There will only be a few people there I know, and a friendly face will always be welcome." Then an idea comes to me. "There again, Keira, would you be my date on opening night?"

Keira's eyes double in size, and she blushes. "Have you got a little crush on Mac, Keira?" Adele asks, a little amused.

"No..... maybe......okay, a little. I googled him when I first heard his song, and well, you know, he's brilliant, and I would love to accompany you on the opening night of Emma."

"Wow, Keira Knightly has a crush on me," I say.

"Yes, but you have Emma, so....you know," she quickly answers showing me her wedding finger. "Oh look, the show's starting," Keira says to change the subject.

We look up at the screen again, and the credits are rolling. Jimmy comes on to a cheer from the audience and does his opening spiel. Then he introduces Taylor, and she comes on and sits for a chat.

As each guest comes out for fifteen minutes to chat about whatever they are plugging, the guest from before them moves to the next empty seat. This is a little strange for the program, but as Jimmy Fallon talks, he explains that I am coming out later, and they all want to be here for my performance. The crowd whoop and claps each time I am mentioned.

Soon it is time for me to make my appearance. I have been asked to come out and play 'Emma' before going over and having a talk. I'm introduced, I walk out, bow, and then walk over to my equipment. I thank the audience for the wonderful reception they are giving me. Before I sit, I wave and bow to the other guests out of respect. I put the guitar on my back and settle behind the keyboard. Taking a deep breath, I play the first, now very famous notes to Emma. The crowd again reacts as I close my eyes and submerse myself into the music. As the song progresses, I look around at all the smiling faces and can't help but get a buzz from the look of people enjoying my performance. As I reach the guitar solo, I flick the switch on the loop machine and loop the keyboard. Then I play an almost acoustic version of the song on lead guitar.

As the song winds down toward the end, I cancel everything except the piano and sing the last chorus with just the soft sound of the piano. The crowd erupts with a euphoric round of applause as I stand and again thank them. I look over at Jimmy Fallon, who looks like he will cry. As I look back to the crowd, I see Emma sitting at the front, so I walk over, and we hug. As we part, she kisses me on the lips, we share a look, and then I walk toward Jimmy, Adele, Taylor, and Keira. All four are still standing and excitedly clapping along with the audience. I get a hug and an air kiss from each of the ladies before I shake Jimmy Fallon's hand.

As we sit, the crowd calm, and Jimmy smiles at me. "Okay, I'm happy now." He turns toward the audience and says. "I told Mac, here, that if he didn't play Emma tonight, there would be hell to pay." The crowd laughs before Jimmy's expression changes. "Mac already knows this, but this is our third time meeting. The second was at your house, but the first time we met was around nineteen years ago when I met Mac's mother. She was at the time carrying Mac here."

The picture I gave Jimmy appeared on a large screen behind Jimmy. I smile up at the sight of my beautiful mother. "She was a beautiful person," I say.

"That she was; not many people know this, but Mac's mother, god rest her soul, was Katherine Carter. Many of you will not remember the day the news broke that Mr. Michael Carter senior and Mrs. Katherine Carter were killed in a horrific car crash that you were in as well." He takes a moment.

"Yes, ten years ago, I lost my parents, and I was the only person pulled from the burning wreckage alive," I confirm. I look out towards the audience, and people are shocked--many with their hands over their mouths.

"Many people at home have googled this and are realizing who you are, Michael. Would you like to tell the world who Michael Carter is?"

"I was born Michael Alexander Carter, sole heir to the C&W empire," I say.

"What, the same C&W that owns half of Nashville?" Taylor asks.

"Yes, we own a lot of lands around Nashville, including the land the stadium where the Titans play sits on," I turn to look at Taylor. "We get a lot of bad press from the Nashville press, but the reality is we stopped Nashville from going bankrupt during the great depression."

"Yeah, but the C&W group has been accused of holding back the Titans, and they refused Miley and me from performing there," she says.

I look at her and shake my head. "It's not C&W that is holding back the Titans. The board has, on three occasions refused to buy the land under and around the stadium. They want to maintain the rent-free status and not pay the taxes that we currently pay," I say.

"Really? Why hasn't your company defended itself before now?"

"I think we are getting a little off track, but it has always been better for a faceless corporation to take the blame instead of putting extra pressure on the club."

"Uh yeah," Jimmy Fallon says, trying to get the conversation going differently. "So, how much are you worth?" He asks.

"Depends on who you ask, but the last time I checked, it was around the one point five billion, but C&W is worth around the five billion mark." I hear a couple of gasps and murmurs from the audience. "This is why I have njot gone looking for fame. My destiny has always been as CEO of C&W. We have hundreds of thousands of people who depend on us to keep them in work and to give them the best quality life we can," I say defensively.

"So why has this been kept such a closely guarded secret?" Jimmy asks, finally getting control of his interview again.

"It hasn't," I say. "We just don't advertise it," I add.

"So, what's next for you?" He asks.

"Music-wise, not much. I have the Canne film festival and Glastonbury coming up. I will continue with my schooling, and I have a business degree and an Engineering degree to complete before I take over from my Grandfather."

"Right, it's time for a break. Stay with us because Mac will be performing again, and I will be asking him questions from both the audience and what you, the viewer, have sent in...Be right back," Jimmy says and then smiles into the camera. He then turns back to me. "Christ Mac, well done. How are you holding up?"

"This is nothing. You should try a couple of rounds in the boardroom," I say.

"Sorry I laid into you," Taylor says, reaching forward from behind me.

"No, that's fine, Taylor. It gave me a chance to address the subject. People have had the wrong story for too long."

"I hear Billy Ray is a big fan?"

"Yeah, we went to a game when I was there...." I was cut short by the producer shouting, 'ten seconds.'

"Welcome back to this slightly longer-than-normal show. We will also continue online after, so make sure you don't miss that...Mac," Jimmy says, turning to me. "This is the part of the show where we ask the audience and people at home to ask random questions. We have no idea what they have asked, and I apologize now for any vulgarity.....Right...Maria Henderson...where are you, Maria?"

A young girl stands up and asks, "So, you are a billionaire. What happens to all the money from sales of Emma?"

"Thank you, Maria, for an easy question to start. All the money I have and will receive is put into a separate account and sent to a charity my mother set up for the homeless. The charity sets up soup kitchens and helps young people get their lives together. We give drug rehabilitation a roof over their head and help with job applications. Once they leave us, they still have access to support if they find themselves struggling. Does that answer your question, Maria?"

"Yes, thank you, Mac. One last thing. Will you marry me?"

I laugh with the crowd. "I think Emma, sitting two rows in front of you, will have something to say about that. Sorry, but my answer will always be, I am taken," I smile at her as she sits down.

"Sarah T, from the state of Mississippi, asks, "How long have you known Emma, and what caused the heartbreak in the song."

"Hello, Sarah; I first met Emma when we were about four or five. She attended my grandfather's 60th birthday party. Neither of us remembers the meeting, but according to her parents and my grandfather, we disappeared toward the end, causing the police to be called. They finally found us cuddled under one of the tables, fast asleep. As for the heartache, I pushed myself away from anyone that meant something to me. I feared losing them like my parents and grandmother, who had just died. By the time my psychiatrist had convinced me otherwise, Emma had a different circle of friends, and I didn't have the self-confidence to push my way into her life. The pain is from my loss and of me watching her grow from the sidelines."

"Wow, that was a candid answer," Jimmy says.

"I'm not embarrassed about being human, Jimmy. I was a child and only understood what I saw. Everyone has their own problems, and some people cope better than others. I was lucky with the people I had around me who supported me. I will never be able to thank them enough."

"It's refreshing to hear someone be so honest in this day and age," Adele says. The audience starts to clap before Jimmy calms them. "Can I ask a question, Jimmy?" Adele then asks.

"Sure, go for it," he answers.

"How good is your voice? You always seem to be holding back."

"Sorry, Adele, I am the last person to ask. I have no idea," I say.

"Could you show us?" She asks.

I stand and make my way over to my keyboard. "Before you all message in," Jimmy says as I prepare. "That question was not planned, and this is an impromptu performance."

There's a moment of silence as I think about what to sing. I pick the guitar up and put it on but swing it behind me. Then I glance across, and Adele's eyes are fixed on mine. Then I close my eyes and start to play.....The crowd knows instantly what I am playing.....

"Everybody loves the things you do," I begin to sing.

"From the way you talk

To the way you move.....

Let me photograph you in this light

In case it is the last time......"

The beginning of When We Were Young is relatively slow and doesn't extend my voice. Then as I sing the lines.....

"You look like a movie.

You sound like a song,"

I open my eyes and look directly at Adele. She has both hands covering her mouth as I sing.

"My God this reminds me, of when we were young."

Then I just let everything go. If they want to see how good my voice is, then I will show them. Adele is right; I always sing well within my limits. If I am truthful, I don't know my limits; I just know what I have done.

So I sing, "Let me photograph you in this light

In case it is the last time......" I don't hold back and push myself well past anything I have done before.

As the song calms, I sense my face is wet from tears, glancing across at Adele, who has tears in her eyes. I smile at her and then close my eyes again. More tears flood out. With each chorus, I lift it a little more. Then when I approach the last chorus, I swing my guitar around. As I sing, I play it on the guitar giving me a duet, with my voice powering through and over the guitar sound.

I have done this on several tracks, including Emma, but the power of this song takes the whole sound to a different level. Then I go back to playing the rhythm on the guitar before returning to the keyboard to finish with my voice and the piano sound.

The audience erupts as I play the last key and sing the last word. I open my eyes and look straight at Emma, who is clapping, but in the same state as me, with tears streaming from her eyes. Then I notice both Donna and Mia are in the same condition. I blow Emma a kiss and make my way back over to where three ladies and the host have ruined their makeup.

As I approach, Adele steps forward and embraces me. This wasn't an embrace that two people share that had only met hours before. It was a full-on bear hug full of passion and emotion.

"Now I know why other artists get upset, Christ Mac," she whispers.

"How was my voice," I ask. Adele releases her hold, looking me in the eyes while holding me by my shoulders. The look on her face was more than I ever expected.

"Mac, that was singularly the best vocal I have ever heard." She looks at me, trying to see if I am looking for praise. I look around at the three others on stage with me, and their faces say the same as Adele's.

I smile. "Thanks, you don't know what that means to me," I say, looking down.

"Oh honey, you don't know how good you are," she gushes as Jimmy Fallon tries to get some semblance of order.

"Okay, okay, settle down," he says to us as much to the audience. As the noise level reduces and we finally sit, Jimmy sits open-mouthed. "How do you react to something like that," he says after what seems like an age. "I have seen you sing several Adele songs. What is it with her music?"

The room goes silent. It seems everyone wants to know that answer. I look at Jimmy, and my bottom lip quivers. "My mother introduced me to Adele's music when I was deeply into Miley Cyrus, and some strong female singers were around. Alicia Keys, Leona Lewis, Pink, and Mariah, but to me, Adele was different. My mother bought her first album, 19, the day it was released. Chasing Pavements is an incredible song. 21 was the last album my mother ever bought, and we played it at her funeral. 25 was released when I was at my lowest. When We Were Young got me through some very bad times. I was also beginning to play and use music as therapy." I look at Adele and realize she is still holding my hand. "Most songs you hear me play have some emotional attachment, and that's why you hear it through the music," I say, looking at a woman I've idolized for so long. Then I mouth, "thank you."