Michael or Mac Ep. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"We've booked the company restaurant for everyone," she says, smiling proudly at me. I remember my mother having a similar look when I got a special diploma in mathematics at school. Then she turns to the rest of the room and claps her hand to get their attention. "Sorry for being rude, but we have a one o'clock reservation at Carter's."

I go around talking to all of the family, who seem to be avoiding me since my outburst. I spend a while going from table to table, saying hello to people I already know and introducing myself to ones I have never met.

When I return to my table, I sit and look at Paps. "What's worrying you, Mac?"

"I'm worried that my little outburst in the boardroom has damaged the possibility that the family won't come to me unless they have to and after anything can be done to help."

"Nah, they've got thicker skins than that," he says, eyeing the bread basket in the center. "Plus, they know they deserved it," he adds.

Dinner is to the usual high standard at one of our restaurants, and the chat around the tables is animated.

Back in the boardroom, we finish the half-yearly reports from each sector and move on to, 'any other business, which is always last.

Cousin Mason leans forward. "Is your venture into music going to impact us?"

"Music? What are you on about, Mason?" Aunty Alison asks.

"Do you know the song Emma that's in the charts?"

"Yes, I'm not from the stone age," she replies.

"Mac wrote and plays the music on it," he informs her.

"Really? I thought the daughter of Billy Ray Cyrus did that one." She looks around for some confirmation.

"Miley sang the lyrics," Aunty. "I played the music and sang on some of the other versions. And no, it will have very little impact on this company. I am not interested in a musical career and will only do things for the experience, Mason."

"That's a real shame. I see you're favorite for an Oscar next year," Mason adds.

I smile and nod. "Is there anything anyone would like to add?" I ask.

"Would be nice to know what you're talking about," one of my older great-uncles says.

I look at Olivia, and she puts the TV back on and gets YouTube up. She finds the video she's looking for and plays it. Saturday Night Live theme comes up, and everyone watches as the first notes of Emma are played. On the screen is a silhouette of me at my keyboard. As the song progresses, Miley enters the stage, and the white screen pulls away to reveal Miley and me.

Eventually, the song finishes, and Olivia turns the TV off. I look around the room, and clearly, this is news to a number of my relatives. Some of the CEOs around the outside of the room also look a little perplexed.

"So, I will reiterate. Although making music has been an incredible experience, I am committed to this company and pushing it forward. Does anyone else want to ask anything?"

"Are you planning any more TV appearances?" One of the CEOs asks.

"Hello Walter, I have a couple of appearances planned. I plan to appear at Glastonbury in England in June and have been asked to perform at the film's premiere in late May. If what they say about the Oscars is true, then there is a real chance I will be attending them next year. As I said, I am using these to experience things that very few people do, and I feel it would be a wasted opportunity if I just turned my back. I will not openly seek attention, but will do things I think are once-in-a-lifetime opportunities that I will regret later not doing."

This seems to have answered most questions about my sudden thrust into the limelight. We again talk about the plans I've made with James Stokes, and several personal items that some of the family are going through that could impact the business. We wrap up the meeting just before four, and I return to my office.

As the big wooden door click shut, I look first at Paps and then at Olivia. "So, how did we do?" I ask.

"I thought you were going to lose it at Uncle Calvin at one point," Olivia says.

"Yeah, I was worried for a second," Paps adds. "But I don't think it could have gone any better. Calvin still thinks he will post his profit this year, and if I'm not mistaken, I believe the FBI will lay off Allison after that. She's obviously been taking a back seat to her husband for a while now."

"Yeah, she wasn't happy that he had kept the fact one of her factories is losing money from her." Then I look at Olivia. "Now we got the nod to proceed to planning, what happens next?"

"We do the survey that James asked us to do, and hopefully, we will get Ron's nod about the windows' viability. I will fully analyze the viability of all the other parts of the build. With any luck, we will have the outlined planning for James's visit and full permission to proceed by the end of the year. It's very rare not to get full planning after outlined, unless there's new information presented, or the applicant has changed the original design." Olivia looks at Paps. "Is that us done for the day? I will phone the pilot to prepare the plane for your return to Charlotte."

"I think so. Mac, is there anything else we need to do?"

"Uh, yes. I promised the staff a rundown of what we are doing. It should only take half an hour, and then we can go."

"Jaden, can you get the staff gathered in the conference room, please........Yes, everyone, that includes anyone who wants to go from the outside company's.......Okay, fifteen minutes in the conference room, please." Olivia hangs up the phone and looks at me with a satisfied smile.

Olivia and I walk down to the conference room. The room is packed with people chattering expectantly. Olivia disappeared to get the computer projection on the large screen.

"Right. Can I have your attention, please?...... Thank you...As most of you know, I am Michael Carter, CEO of the C&W group. Today I will show you what plans we have for this place. It will be a quick session because I have to fly back to Charlotte tonight......As most of you know, not for the first time, we put a tender out to see if anyone could design an expansion plan for this place that would get through planning. If you didn't know, this place has a preservation order, and the planning process is much stricter." The lights dim, and the screen comes to life. "Ah, there we go. Out of all the applicants, one stood out. Today I will show you the plan we will submit to planning.....Olivia, if you don't mind."

I run through the plan, pointing out once again the differences and alterations we will be implementing. There are some people that come here monthly, and I point out each sector and the changes that will affect them. The presentation takes about half an hour, and the questions take another twenty minutes before I call it a day. Most people look impressed and pleased with the new facilities as they file out to go home.

My return home was a lot more relaxed. Paps spoke with the FBI agents before they left, and they were happy with the extra information they got.

I'm pleased when we pull outside the garage at home. I have been messaging Emma all the way home, and she looks forward to seeing me in the morning. I was tempted to ask Paps to stop outside Emma's house so I could kiss her goodnight, but I wouldn't have heard the last of it from Paps.

We parked up next to my truck. My dad's old car isn't there, because I am having it resprayed. One of the only jobs that I'm leaving to the professionals. They will also be undersealing the bottom to protect the car for the next twenty years.

I go straight up and take my suit off. It's been a long day, and Paps is ordering Pizza, so we don't have to cook.

The next couple of weeks goes very smoothly. School has settled down a little. I'm trying to keep my old routine, but it's becoming increasingly difficult because people are stopping me to talk and ask questions. I'm polite, and everyone I speak to seems happy I gave them the time of day.

The week before Emma and I go up to Boston, Olivia calls. "Mac, I've been talking to Amelia Havenar. Are you seriously thinking of taking her on?"

"That decision is yours, Olivia. If we can use her, great, but I don't expect you to take her on just because we are friends. Why is there a problem?"

"The problem is this girl is brilliant and gifted. If it were up to me, we would have her as part of your team at central."

I look at Emma, and she raises her eyebrows. "Wow, from you, that is one recommendation. The reality, Olivia, is that it is up to you. If you want her, have her. Send me the contracts, and I'll offer her whatever position when I go to Boston next week."

"I was hoping you were going to say that. I'll get straight on it and FedEx you the paperwork Wednesday. Mac, you've just doubled your workforce," Olivia adds, and the smile on her face is great to see.

Emma and I are sitting in first class for the early morning flight up to Boston. Emma has one hand clasping mine and an orange juice in the other. We talk about what I will be doing and the plan for her. I understand that Harvard is pulling out all the stops to coax her, hoping they will tempt me there. Little do they know, I've already decided to go to Harvard; I just haven't told them that.

We have booked a hotel for this visit. It took a lot of persuading, but they finally relented as we walked into The Harbor Hotel's reception; the receptionist looks up with a radiant smile. "Good morning. How can I help you?" She says, looking at me with a look of recognition.

"Hi, Olivia Jackson has booked us in one of your rooms with a view of the harbor," Emma says.

"Ah yes, Mr. Carter and Miss Johnson. I'm sorry, but have you stayed here before?" The receptionist finally asks.

"No, I don't think so," I answer.

"He is famous, though," Emma adds.

"Oh, anything I would know you for?" She asks; now look at the both of us.

"He's had a hit single and been on YouTube a lot," Emma says, taking over the conversation.

"Mac," the woman says with a satisfied smile. "You must be The Emma, then," she says, looking at Emma. "That makes you famous as well."

"Oh, I hadn't looked at it like that," Emma says, a little amazed.

The receptionist smiles, and adds "We get famous people in here all the time. If it's not an imposition, can I get an autograph?"

"Sure," I say. It's not the first and won't be the last. She walks over to a drawer and gets an autograph book out. "There we go," she says, opening it before me. I sign, and she then asks Emma. "Do you mind, Emma?"

Emma gasps and then smiles. "You know, you are the first person to ask."

"Wow, it's an honor to be the first." She looks at the two signatures and then looks up with a satisfied smile. "Right, you are in one of the suites on the fourth floor, room four ten. Oh, that has a beautiful view of the harbor. She hands the porter our two door-cards and says, "Have a nice day."

We get up to the room, and the porter shows us where everything is. The girl in reception was right. I think she understated it deliberately. Our room has a balcony, but the view out over the harbor is exceptional. "Mac, you always take me to the best places," Emma says, as we stand looking over the scene below. I tip the young lad who's shown us our room and walk toward the balcony.

"Baby, you know that Olivia always books my rooms for me. She has a gift of getting the best from people, including me," I say as I wrap my arms around Emma from behind as we both look out over the water.

Emma and I walk into The Orleana restaurant, and the same radiant smile greets me as we approach the desk. "Good evening, sir. Do you have a reservation?"

"Mac," a familiar voice squeals from the other side of the restaurant.

"Do you ever get that feeling of Déjà Vu?" I ask the lady.

"All the time; it's so good to see you again." She gets up to show us to our table. "I must apologize for not recognizing you last time you were here."

"I wouldn't worry about it. I'm still a little awkward when people recognize me." We get to the table, and it's just Amelia who greets us. "Hello, Amelia. No Lucas tonight?"

Amelia's expression changes a little, but then her smile comes back. "No, I'll explain what happened after you went home, and he sobered up in a bit. Christ Mac, when are you getting that haircut?"

"Please don't mention the hair," Emma says, moving around me.

She takes a deep breath. "Emma, how are you finding Boston?"

I see the concierge looks at me and mouths, "Emma?" I nod, and she puts her hand over her mouth at her mistake of not paying attention to her. As Emma moves away from Amelia's embrace toward her chair, the concierge quickly moves to assist her. "My apologies for not knowing who you were, Emma. Can I get you any drinks?"

Emma smiles at her. "Don't worry, I like being invisible," she says, ordering our normal fruit punches. As soon as the concierge goes, Emma leans toward Amelia. "So what happened after we left?"

Amelia rolls her eyes and says, "Oh Christ, it was like a melodrama. Dad was flapping around like it was the end of the world. Lucas didn't show his face until six, and Mum kept crying."

"Why was your Mum crying?" I ask.

"I'm not sure she knows. Anyhow, everything seemed to calm when Lucas got up and announced he didn't mean to quit. He's going to write a letter to Mr. Hall apologizing."

"I think Jackson found it most entertaining," I say as our drinks turn up.

"My Dad's in shock. You know I said he'd probably sell the house. I heard him telling Mum he wanted to sell up, and she knocked him down. She told him that if he wanted to move, that was fine, but she would stay there."

"So, you are still married, and nothing much has changed," Emma says, sounding a little disappointed.

"Oh, plenty has changed, Emma. Lucas is still in the dog house but is learning that he might not wear the trousers in this marriage. I've still not shagged him since the wedding. He's walking around like a wounded puppy.....Anyway, I want to know, did Olivia talk to you about me?"

"Now, what did I tell you about Olivia?"

"Ummm, she's a tough cookie to please, but she's fair."

"So, Olivia tells me you've been chatting and........." I say, stringing it out.

"Mac, stop it. You're as bad as American Idol."

I laugh. "Oliva told me that I should snap you up. She was impressed and wants you to work with her directly. She has drawn up a proposal and a contract." Amelia gasps and cups both hands over her mouth. "Everything in the contract will hinge on you completing your degree at or near the top of your class, which I hear you are."

"Oh, Mac, thank you so much," Amelia says, nearly in tears.

"Amelia, focus," I say. She takes her hands away. "In this bag is the proposal and contract. Please read everything to ensure it's what you want to do. Get a solicitor to read the contract and when you are happy with everything, sign it and message Olivia. She will have it picked up and taken care of."

Amelia takes a deep breath. "Okay, I will read through the proposal. If I am happy with the job offer, I will get a solicitor to read through the contract." She smiles and looks at me for confirmation.

I smile and nod my head. The waiter comes up and asks if we are ready to order. "Sorry," I say. "I haven't looked. Can you give me five minutes?" He smiles and walks off.

I hand the folder to Amelia, and she gives an excited squeal before taking it. Business is done, so it's time to order some food.

The food arrives and looks fantastic. I'm sure this woman Emma and I are having dinner with is a different person. She is polite and engaging, and she is not flirting with me in any way, shape, or form.

"Okay, Amelia, I give," I say. "What have you done with the real Amelia?"

She laughs and takes a sip of her drink. "Mac, I am married now. You might have a place in my heart, but I have moved on. There's no more jealousy or hatred, and I'm finally finding where I fit in the world."

Amelia smiles at me and continues to eat. I look at Emma, shrug, and we continue to eat.

"Excuse me, Mac," the maître d' interrupts. "I was wondering if it would be possible if you would do us the pleasure of singing 'Emma'?"

I glance across and see a piano. I look at Emma, and she gives me an incredible smile. Then I look at Amelia. "Ready to be reminded of your wedding."

Amelia looks at me and rolls her eyes the only way Amelia does and then gives me something I don't often see after, a smile. I look back up to the maître d' and nod. He smiles, and I move over to the piano. There seems to be a sudden excitement in the room as I sit.

******

Boston was fine other than the attention I was getting around campus. Emma had a better time. She was quietly impressed with Harvard but kept her cards close to her incredible chest.

Being home gives me a level of normality that has been hard to come across lately. Kim is not happy with me as she hasn't seen much of Ron, but she knows the importance of what he's doing.

I've been talking to James Stokes quite a bit in the UK. This guy is a genius, and I've learned that he's been taken on by Sampson Harris to be molded into a future head of the company and to take over from Andrew Sampson. He's partnered up with Andrew's daughter, Drew. I have yet to speak to her direct, but I had a couple of email exchanges about progress with the test boring around the site.

We are waiting on the core sample results to see where the bedrock lies and what the building sits on. As for James, I seem to be gaining a very good friend, and we get on very well. I'm looking forward to the summer at the ranch when we can meet to get to know each other.

Life is quiet. The only things in my diary are the film festival in Cannes and Glastonbury. Unfortunately, Cannes is during Emma's final exams. Most of my exams are just before I leave, and Glastonbury is at the end of June, so Emma will be coming with me. Emma had a great idea of dropping in on James and Isabel. She's been talking to Isabel online, and they get on just as well as James and me. If everything goes to plan, James and Isabel will be returning with us to the states. The plan is to have some time at the ranch and then start whatever James needs to do at the HQ.

School is different but the same. People no longer avoid me, and my classes let me join in. Music is interesting and often revolves around me, sometimes through each lesson.

******

I walk in the back door and come face to face with a familiar face.

"Stephan? What are you doing here?"

He goes to open his mouth. "He's here with me to try to talk you into coming on my show," Jimmy Fallon says from behind him. He's sitting holding a coffee cup opposite Paps.

"Why is Jimmy Fallon drinking coffee with Paps?" I ask, a bit bemused. "What makes you think I would want to come on your show? I had to be persuaded to do the first one." I turn back to Stephan, realizing he's on a different team. "Have you jumped ship?"

Jimmy puts his cup down and answers, "when you came on the 'other show' with Miley, you commented that the researchers hadn't done their job. So, they did a little digging and then promptly sacked Stephan. We snapped him up when we heard he was a free agent. When he told us the reason for his sacking, well, we couldn't resist. I must say you have a very effective and fiercely loyal team around you. Even Miley, who I've been friends with for years, wouldn't spill." He takes a sip of coffee to let the compliment sink in. I'm not biting and stay quiet. I put my bag down and sit next to Paps. "It took a large bribe at the local sheriff's office to get your address."

"That doesn't bode well for the sheriff's office," Paps says.

"Look, Jimmy," I start to say, trying to word this properly. "I only did the last show as a favor to Miley and the experience. Doing your show holds nothing new, and I am still not interested in becoming famous."