Midnight Movie Club Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Why wouldn't I?" Alexander came up to the couch. He flashed his well-rehearsed grin at Susan. "Someone should be an island of sanity in your collective sea of delusion."

Susan firmly patted the couch cushion next to her. "Grab a seat. I had my fingers crossed that I'd have someone to smack talk to tonight. "Hey," she said to the other students gathered in the lounge, "this guy's Alexander, the Sounders fan I was talking about. But don't hold it against him. He seems pretty cool."

Three young men and one young woman, each dressed in a variety of pine green and yellow clothing, politely jeered at Alexander before turning back to the game in progress on the big screen television, NYCFC vs. New England. Sitting down on the middle couch cushion, Alexander gave Susan an impressive whistle as he got a look at her outfit. "Damn, you went all out."

"Hey, it's Opening Day. No half-measures. We'd drag a full tifo in here if there was room." Since his team wasn't on the pitch tonight Alexander had chosen an understated look for watching the match - khaki pants, a light green t-shirt, and his gray-and-green Sounders baseball cap. His outfit was a sharp contrast to Susan's, who had dressed head-to-toe for her out-of-state Portland Timbers, from pine green sneakers to green track pants with a yellow stripe down the leg, a replica Timbers game jersey, and a green-and-yellow scarf wrapped loosely around her neck. "I'm surprised you're not more decked out," she proclaimed.

"My team won earlier today," Alexander smirked. He leaned back, putting his hands behind his head and his feet up on the table in front of the couch. "Two-nil over Minnesota United. I'm just gonna sit here and bask in the glow of victory while watching you guys go down in flames. Besides, I had a feeling if I wore my Seattle gear you guys would haul me out to the common and burn me at the stake."

Susan put her hand against her chest. "We would never burn you at the stake," she said with an expression of mock horror. "Do you know how bad that is for the environment? No, we would take you out to a clearing in the woods and give you a sky burial. Make you one with Mother Nature."

"Sounds like you've been talking to my friend Eleanor..."

"Eleanor? Was that the 'friend' who came to visit you during the storm? The one you said you'd be right back with?" Susan chuckled at Alexander. "You're blushing a little bit there..."

He could feel the rush of heat against his cheeks. Out of all the surprisingly numerous sexual encounters since his first weekend on campus, his time with Eleanor during the storm sat at the top of his list. He crossed his arms and answered as nonchalantly as he could, "A gentleman never tells... oh damn!" Alexander shot forward, sitting on the edge of the couch. "Did you see that save?"

"He barely punched that one over the crossbar," Susan proclaimed. "Better to be lucky than good, I guess."

For the next few minutes, Alexander and Susan watched the game as it rolled over into stoppage time. When the final whistle blew, Susan shook her head at the victors. "I loathe NYCFC," she told Alexander. "They don't even play in a real stadium..."

Before Susan could continue, a voice familiar to Alexander interrupted her. "I had no idea you were into soccer, Alexander." Turning around, Alexander saw a young woman with wavy brown hair and pale blue eyes looking back at him. "Oh God," Karen breathed as she saw his cap, "and you're a Sounders supporter."

"Sorry," he responded. "I didn't realize you didn't know good taste when you saw it."

The brunette gave him a full-bodied snort. "At least you're not a Rapids fan." She glanced over towards Susan, giving the Timbers fan a friendly smile. "Hello. Mind if I join you?"

"Knock yourself out." Susan motioned towards the couch cushion on the other side of Alexander. Much like Susan, Karen was dressed to the nines to cheer on her soccer club - blue athletic shorts, a royal blue Real Salt Lake tank top with red and yellow highlights, and a similarly colored scarf hanging from her shoulders.

"Susan," Alexander said as Karen casually flopped onto the couch, "this is Karen from my Intro to Psych class. Karen, this is Susan. She lives in my dorm."

"Susan Woods." The tall, muscular brunette reached across Alexander.

"Karen Zielinski," Karen responded, giving Susan a firm handshake. "Happy to meet you. You have no idea how glad I am to find other soccer fans around here, even if you're pulling for the wrong clubs."

"Eh, give it time," Alexander said hopefully. "The season just kicked off. I'm sure more of us will come crawling out of the woodwork."

"So are you from Salt Lake City?" inquired Susan.

Karen shook her head in response. "Twin Falls, Idaho. But I've been playing soccer since elementary school. Since Real's the closest club I became a supporter by default and eventually a supporter by choice."

"Oh, cool. I played high school soccer too. What about you?" Susan asked Alexander. "Do you play?"

"God no." He shook his head, holding his hands in the air as he laughed. "I never had the time. My uncle was involved with semi-pro soccer in the '80s and '90s, though. We've gone to a ton of Sounders games together and I figured if I couldn't be an athlete growing up, I could at least be an athletic supporter."

The smirk on Alexander's face was enough to make both Susan and Karen groan on either side of him. "Do you want to hit him," Karen said to Susan, "or can I take this one?"

"Same time. On three. One... two..."

"OW!" Alexander gave the pair of young women a mock look of pain as he rubbed his shoulders. "When I imagined myself sandwiched between a pair of lovely ladies, this is not what I had in mind."

Karen cocked her head to one side. Her pale blue eyes studied the young man briefly. "And what did you have in mind when you imagined yourself sandwiched between a pair of lovely ladies?"

"Yeah, Alexander." Susan leaned against the back of the couch, her head propped up on one elbow as she shot him a smirk of her own. "What would you be imagining?"

Alexander's eyes darted back and forth between Karen and Susan, before focusing on the television. "Oh look," he told them, "the pre-game's starting, he says, trying to change the topic of conversation."

"You're no fun," Karen pouted playfully as she settled into the couch.

X X X X X

Cole instinctively shook his hand, wincing at the stinging pain radiating from his index finger. "Ow," he muttered. An angry red welt was inlaid atop the skin from the tip down to just above the second knuckle. The physical pain did little to distract Cole from the mental despair caused by the broken metal string along the neck of his guitar. The string had snapped at the base of the neck, with one end in a loop near the tuning knob and the other tangled among the other strings near the bottom. Luckily for Cole, the metal wire had only grazed his skin, failing to draw blood.

The guitar hung loosely by its strap around Cole's shoulders as he turned towards the case lying next to him on his bed. Opening the snaps on a small compartment near the top, despair quickly turned to resignation as he rummaged through it. There were plenty of picks but a distinct lack of guitar strings. Checking a second and third time came up with the same result. He cursed quietly as he took the guitar and carefully placed it back in the case. It was probably for the best. The welt on his finger could easily turn into a blister and end up cramping his entire week as opposed to a single evening. Cole shook his head as he gently rested the case in the corner of the room. Tonight was the first time since arriving on campus that he had brought out his guitar. The rust from three weeks of neglect would have to endure for another few days.

After going online and ordering a new set of Ernie Ball strings from his preferred music store in Spokane, Cole leaned back in his desk chair. His plan for an easy Saturday night alone, practicing and jamming on his guitar, had gone out the window. At least living on campus provided him with plenty of options. Alexander was probably still watching soccer at the student union, but sports never fancied Cole's tickle. What Julie and Eleanor were up to was a mystery... perhaps one worth solving...

Hey, Cole texted both of them after a brief deliberation. Any goings on tonight?

Dinner with my folks and then a Wal-Mart run, answered Eleanor. What's up?

Evening plans fell through. Looking for something to do.

Eleanor replied after a few moments. Want to come to dinner? It's cool with Julie and my folks won't mind.

Appreciated, however just ate. Convince you to grab some stuff from Wal-Mart if I promise to pay you back next time I see you?

Only if you promise to hand over cash. I only put out for food and drink.

Promise, cold and hard, not warm and throbbing. Let me check with Alexander, see if he needs anything. Cole smirked at the "smiley face/tongue out" emoji Eleanor responded with before switching to his message history with his roommate. Eleanor and Julie are heading to Wal-Mart. Need anything?

In the time it took Alexander to answer his text, Cole had done a quick inventory of his side of the dorm room. I'm good, he responded. I trust your judgment if you think the room needs anything. I'll split the cost.

Cleaning supplies couldn't hurt, along with grabbing that Tupperware finally. Still watching soccer?

Yes. About fifteen minutes left I'd guess. A girl I'm with says there's an apartment party afterward in town. Interested?

Beats sitting around. Guitar string broke. Sit around, end up playing with myself instead of my guitar.

I'll text you when we leave here. I'm guessing 10:00'ish? We'll meet up on the steps of Loyall Hall.

Sounds good. Gives a chance to shower and spruce up. Plan to hear from you 10'ish. Enjoy the rest of the game.

X X X X X

"Cole's on board," Alexander confirmed, slipping his smartphone back into his pocket. "I'll text him when we're done and he'll meet us outside your building."

"Nice." Karen leaned back on the couch, her arms crossed and a smirk on her face. "Nothing like a couple of beers to celebrate a win."

On the other side of Alexander, Susan snorted in retort. "Seven minutes and stoppage. Plenty of time to tie it up."

Karen responded by dramatically flipping her RSL-themed scarf around her neck. Alexander could feel the tension coming from both young women as the game clock wound towards extra time. Real Salt Lake had gone up 0-2 just before halftime, only for the Timbers to claw back and tie the game before giving up another goal. As Portland attacked the Salt Lake end of the pitch, Susan was on the edge of the couch bouncing with nervous energy. Every save by RSL's goalie was met with a quiet noise of frustration. Every time RSL cleared the ball from their goal was answered with a muted cry of anguish. Susan's body flexed and moved with every passing second, almost as if she was trying to mentally will the ball into the goal.

Karen was just as tense, however, hers was a quiet desperation. She silently chewed on the fringe of her RSL scarf, eyes locked on the television, as her club relentlessly clung to its one-goal lead. As the game clock reached 90 minutes and rolled over into 4 minutes of stoppage time, Susan became more animated while Karen was a coiled spring, ready to explode in exhilaration or wilt from disappointment.

"Come on," Susan chanted, a last-second mantra as the Timbers drove for the goal. "Come on, come on, come on... aw, damn it!" Susan slapped her hands against her thighs as the final whistle blew - Portland Timbers 2, Real Salt Lake 3. "Man," she declared, head turned towards the ceiling as she gestured in frustration. "So damn close!"

Instead of exploding in joy, Karen's entire body seemed to melt into the couch as she let out a long, deep sigh. After a moment, she sat up and reached across Alexander, holding her hand out towards Susan. "Good game, Portland."

"Yeah, good game, Salt Lake." Susan had a dejected look on her face however still managed to give Karen a nod of respect along with a firm handshake. "I hope we see you guys in the playoffs because I want my rematch."

"Fair enough. Screw Seattle?"

"Screw Seattle."

Both women turned to Alexander. "Screw Seattle."

"What the hell did I do?" Alexander laughed. "I just sat here and watched the game!"

"Yeah, but you're a Sounders supporter. We hate you on general principle." Susan smiled at Karen's comment while Alexander rolled his eyes. "So Susan," Karen said, "we're heading to a party off-campus. You up for coming along?"

Susan shook her head as she got up from the couch. "Thanks, but I need to run back to my dorm and shower. I have a hot date with a lovely young lady and I don't want to keep her waiting."

"Ooooh, a hot date," asked Karen.

"With a lovely young lady?" inquired Alexander.

Susan motioned to her tall frame. "Six foot three, Amazonian build, grew up in Portland. Are you surprised I'm into girls?" After a moment, however, she flashed Alexander a wry grin. "Of course, sometimes I don't feel like a nut, sometimes I do. We're doing this again next Sunday if you guys want to show."

"Sure! It's nice to have people to watch games with, even if they're rooting for the enemy." Karen waved to Susan as she headed for the door along with the remaining Portland fans. "Good luck on your date!"

Susan's departure left Alexander and Karen alone in the media room. "Looks like someone made a potential friend with benefits," she teased.

"Au contraire. She may have been referring to a nut in general, not mine specifically. Besides, sleeping with a Timbers fan is a level of hate sex one saves for the playoffs." He turned on the couch to face her. "I had no idea you were a soccer fan."

"There aren't that many of us, are there? Growing up in Twin Falls I saw more Dallas Cowboys gear than Major League Soccer gear, and RSL's won a championship this century." Karen lazily gestured in Alexander's direction. "But now we've got something else in common besides Intro to Psych."

"Absolutely. After all, most friendships are based on a solid foundation of making fun of the other's fandoms." Alexander motioned with his chin towards the television. "Any interest in the post-game wrap-up show?"

Karen shook her head. "I'm ready to go celebrate. Let me text Gwen, make sure she's out of church."

"Church? On a Saturday?"

"Yeah. She found a church in town that does a full service on Saturday nights. Allows her to ask forgiveness before partying her ass off." Karen smirked as she typed on her smartphone. "Or, to quote, 'on Friday nights I can sow my wild oats and on Saturday night I can pray for crop failure."

"What kind of preacher's daughter is your roommate?" Alexander asked, not bothering to hide his amusement.

"The kind I can live with. The kind who tells me on the first day that if I want to talk to her about God all I have to do is ask and that she'll only talk to me about God if I ask first. The kind that then went out and got absolutely fucking hammered..."

"And brought you donuts the next morning."

"And brought me donuts the next morning." Karen typed a final message on her phone before putting it back in her pocket. "Gwen said she'll meet us out front of the dorm. Go ahead and text your roommate, and we'll head out."

X X X X X

"You must be Alexander's roommate."

"Right in one." Cole approached the tiny girl who had called out to him. She was sitting on the top step just outside Loyall Hall. "Stand out that much?"

"Well dressed, well groomed, freshly showered guy who's looking around for someone? It was an educated guess." The girl got to her feet. Even while standing two steps down on the staircase, Cole was taller than her. The word 'pixie' described both her freshly cut black hair and her rail-thin frame, which was currently being shown off by a red tank top and a pair of loose black jeans that would have been a regular fit on any other young woman. "I'm Gwen," she said cheerfully. "Karen's roommate."

"Cole. Pleasure."

"Awesome. The gang's all here." Cole and Gwen turned at the sound of Karen's voice as she came up the sidewalk with Alexander at her side. "How was church, Gwen?"

"Not bad." Gwen motioned to the outfit she was wearing. "Saturdays are an informal service. The pastor was the most dressed-up person in attendance and he was in jeans and a sweater. Everyone seemed laid back and chill. Might try the Sunday service next week if I can drag my ass out of bed in the morning."

"Great! I'm glad you found a church. Maybe it'll make your Mom and Dad stop worrying," Karen suggested.

Gwen scoffed at her roommate. "Good luck with that. We ready to hit the road? The party's a couple of blocks from here."

"Give me a minute to change real quick." Karen motioned to the outfit she was wearing. "I don't want someone to spill beer all over my supporter's gear. Alexander, you want to come up, see our dorm room?"

Alexander had made his way over to Cole and was about to say something to his roommate. At Karen's offer, however, a puzzled look crossed his face. "Let me guess," he offered, "you want to show off the Real Salt Lake tifo you've got hanging on your wall."

Both Karen and Alexander shared a quiet laugh as they headed up the steps and into Loyall Hall. Once they were both out of sight, Gwen turned to Cole. "Well, shall we?"

"Well shall we what?"

"Get going. As I said, the party's a couple of blocks away, 15 minutes at an easy clip."

It took Cole a second, then he chuckled. His hands went into the pockets of his jeans while he rolled his eyes towards the sky. "Guessing Karen wasn't planning on going to the party and Alexander ain't coming along for the ride." Gwen's response was to reach up and tap the tip of her nose with one finger, causing Cole to chuckle a second time. "Dandy and fine then. Long as you don't mind going to an off-campus party with a total stranger."

Gwen's response was to crook her arm, offering it to Cole. "Haven't you heard, Cole?" she remarked as he slipped his arm between hers. "A stranger's just a friend you haven't met yet."

X X X X X

"First time in a girl's dorm?"

"No. I live in a co-ed dorm."

Karen smirked as they stepped off the elevator. "Rephrase. First time on a girl's floor in a dorm?" When Alexander shook his head, the smirk turned into a look of interest. "Really. First time in a girl's dorm room then?"

"Same answer as before," he answered. "Does that surprise you?"

"It makes me curious."

Now it was Alexander's turn to smirk. "Sorry. I ascribe to the idea that what happens behind closed doors stays behind closed doors. I've never been a fan of locker room talk."

"Oh, I am. You should have heard some of the stuff we'd talk about in the girls' locker room after a game." Karen stopped in front of a wooden door and reached into her tank top to pull out a key hanging from a red lanyard. "But I agree, some conversations should never see the light of day." She opened the door and motioned for Alexander to follow her into the darkened room.

The light from the hallway illuminated the middle of the room. "Were you guys any good?" he inquired.

"We won the state championship my junior year and were runners-up last year. The team was great. I, however, was adequate at best. I played because I love soccer, not because I was any good at it."

A soft light filled the room as she turned on a small lamp on her desk, allowing Alexander to close the door behind him. One side of the room was neatly organized, with bare walls save for a small cross hanging above the headboard of the bed. The other side was a mess. Alexander didn't see any trash, but the lid on the canvas laundry hamper was pushed up from the tight mass of dirty clothing inside, three water bottles with varying levels of liquid sat on the nightstand next to an unmade bed, and a mass of papers and textbooks were scattered across the desk. Alexander found himself imagining the look on Julie's face and the accompanying rise in blood pressure should she ever lay eyes on this room.