All Comments on 'Midvinterblot'

by Devinter

Sort by:
  • 11 Comments
FreyaGersemiFreyaGersemiabout 2 months ago

Outstanding as usual!! You have such an elegant way with words that truly enhances all of your amazing story ideas. Loved it!!!!

DevinterDevinterabout 2 months agoAuthor

@FreyaGersemi - You are too kind, darling. This story is so full of allegories and symbolic, hidden messages that I imagine most of it would go over the average reader's head. It's sprinkled with more than a few occult secrets from real beliefs among the spiritual and esoteric circles around the world, so I was worried it wouldn't be an enjoyable read without some inside knowledge into these matters. This one was difficult to write. Glad you appreciated it regardless. I appreciate having you as my friend.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

AMAZING! The way you built the structure of the story, your precision, the way you drew the characters in my mind was nothing short of masterful. You said this would be like a bad trip but it was nothing of the sort! As a person loosely connected the occult IRL, your depiction of it was the best I have thus far read on this platform, period. The story drew me in and provided me with satisfaction right as I read "the end." Bravo, and thank you for providing something like this for us to read!

DevinterDevinterabout 2 months agoAuthor

@Anonymous - Thank you kindly for those words. It's certainly quite an odd tale but I put a lot of time and effort into this one. It was originally meant for the Winter Festival competition but I needed almost four additional months to finalize it in a way that I was somewhat satisfied with. (I worked on other things during that time too, of course, but it was still one of the more difficult pieces I've written thus far!) - Glad you appreciated it, truly!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

Given the quality of the writing and eroticism I was confused halfway through as to why this did not have the higher score it clearly deserved. Having reached the end I do think the conclusion doesn't quite live up to the rest of it - it feels rather rushed, and all those characters we'd been introduced to played very little part in the denouement, despite a group scene that was perfect for that purpose. What part did Calamax play for example? The story seems almost coy on this point. Excellent work, but also something of a missed opportunity.

DevinterDevinterabout 2 months agoAuthor

@Anonymous - Thank you. And I completely understand why you feel the way that you do, because there are a lot of highly subtle things at play that most people would not have the required prior knowledge to really spot. Each character is like an avatar for a specific emotion and - in a way - choice. But if you enjoyed this, try my Astor Bacheret's Carnival of Dread. It's a lot less cryptic, yet has some similarities to this story. You might like that one more! Appreciate your comment, and I find the critique completely fair.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

Given your earlier comments under this piece I was wondering if this would be the tenor of your response. I suggest that if you were as perceptive an author as you think you are, you might recognise that condescension is not the most useful mode through which to filter feedback. I've no doubt it helps with the self regard, but I fear it leaves limited opportunity for growth.

A good piece of writing none the less.

DevinterDevinterabout 2 months agoAuthor

@Anonymous - I do not mean to come across as patronizing in any way. I apologize if I did. What I am trying to say is that there is no way for a reader to "figure out" the meaning behind the symbols and actions from the characters. It's not a mystery or a riddle to be solved. You need to have read books on alchemy, among many other things, for a few of the references to make any sense whatsoever. As such, this piece of work is in many ways a very flawed story. The key to a story really ought to be contained somewhere within itself. Out of over 50 uploaded stories, this is the only one that I've written in this manner, and I doubt I'll ever do it again.

StillStunnedStillStunnedabout 1 month ago

What can I say? Excellent as always, even though I'm sure I missed most of the symbolism. Great character building, and great building of the tension - sexual and otherwise - right up to the end.

DevinterDevinterabout 1 month agoAuthor

@StillStunned - Thank you. It means a lot to hear that from someone I respect so abundantly.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 month ago

It ends more abruptly than I would like, but otherwise, I think it’s an excellently told dark occult fantasy.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userDevinter@Devinter
I am on this website to hone my penmanship and getting better at expressing myself vividly in the English language. I am 34 years old, from Sweden. What I write about does not necessarily reflect my real-life preferences, fetishes, desires, or even fantasies. A large amount o...