Mike's Navy: Mike Meets Marlene

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He pulls over to the Citgo on the corner of the mall and fuels up. She watches him pull out on Highway 20 and move off to the north west. She raises a hand to wave knowing he can no longer see her. She thinks she better call her mother but reconsiders when she sees how early it is. She'll call later but now she has to rerun the night's events in her mind.

Mike is doing the same as he moves up the highway. His mind is racing but he's still conscious of his truck and his load. He watches instruments and his mirrors as he sees Katya in his head.

He swings north on I290 heading for I90 north of Chicago. He has skipped going right downtown in Chi town by using Hwy. 20 and Addison but will join I90 up north of the city.

He whistles through the clover leaf and he's westward bound on I90. Big Blue is purring in his ear and the world seems right. Within an hour he passes Rockford on his left as the expressway swings north. He's averaging over 65 mph on the good road and knows he will make good time today. He's aiming at over 700 miles today and plans to drive at least eleven hours. That should put him in Jamestown, North Dakota.

The morning passes quickly until I90 veers west and he steers right to continue north on I94. Another hour and he's thinking about lunch. He glances at his map and thinks he will watch for something around St. Paul, Wisconsin.

As he passes Eau Claire he starts watching but doesn't see anything until he swings north on I694 to bypass Minneapolis/ St. Paul. He decides to get off when he sees a Burger King sign. He gets off on 10th Street N and swings left under the freeway. Within a block he sees the Burger King on his left and a KFC as well. Now he has to make a decision.

He finds that's easy, have a messy Whopper in the Burger King and then go next door for some KFC to go. He also gets his thermos filled. He's back on the by-pass in no time.

I694 Joins I94 north of Minneapolis and once again he's headed west by northwest. He stays with I94 and by 5:00 PM local time he's nearing Fargo and North Dakota. As he crosses 9th Street E he sees on the on ramp up ahead a lone figure with a hand held out to traffic. He slows in case of emergency and sees it's a petite, brunette, female hitchhiker.

He applies brakes and brings the load to a halt a ways up the road. He pulls on his air horn and sees her grabbing a bag and running to catch up with him. His far door swings open and she struggles to toss her bag up. She gets it up to the floor and shoves it inside then climbs up on the running board. Mike sees a highway patrol car coming down the onramp so he calls, "Jump in quick, here comes the law."

He shifts gears and pulls out before the cruiser catches up so the cruiser moves over and passes him. Mike laughs and says, "That was close, I bet someone reported you. It looked like he was looking for something. That's what took him so long to pass us." he laughs, "So how far are you going?"

"I'm going to Jamestown. How about you?" She's settling into the seat and has her bag open looking for something. She pulls out a mirror and brush.

"That where I'm headed tonight. Do you know the city? I'll be looking for a truck stop or a large mall where I can park for the night."

She looks him over then brushes her hair. "I might know a place. I'm Lucie, what's your moniker?

He taps his forehead with a finger, "Nice to meet you, Lucie. I'm Mike Claymore and I'm on my way to the coast with this load."

She looks around the cab, "This is one old truck for sure, I don't even see any electric shifter. I saw you manhandling those two sticks when we started up but now I see why."

Mike looks surprised, "You understand truck transmissions?"

"Ha, I built my own stock car before I got out of school. I drive my brother's dump truck, his big five ton job." She looks out the windshield, "I bet you have a Cummins in this baby. It may be old but it can haul ass. You sure know how to handle it, I'd never try to shift that bugger."

"It can be tricky." he chuckles.

She goes back to brushing her hair and studying herself in the mirror, "God, what a mess. I look like a witch in a nor'easter." She shakes her head and her shoulder length hair flies everywhere. She gives up and tosses the brush in her bag followed by the mirror.

Mike pours a coffee and asks if she has a cup. She digs in her bag again and comes up with a plastic glass. She holds it out and Mike gives her the thermos. "You pour, it'll be steadier."

She moves across the seat so she can put her glass by his cup in the holder on the dash. "Thanks, that tastes good."

He looks aside and down to her. "How tall are you?"

Her mouth wrinkles up in a smile, "I'm not. I'm five foot and a lot of trouble. That's what my brother says."

"So where have you been? I guess you live in Jamestown."

"I was visiting an asshole in Fargo. I hate people who think they can run your life. He was nice when he was in Jamestown but at home he showed his true colors. What a loser!"

"Sounds like he's not very nice."

"Don't get me started." She throws him dark looks and pouts by his side. Mike grabs his coffee and slurps it. She copies him. They have come about forty miles and a sign says forty five miles to Jamestown.

"You mentioned you might know a place where I could put in for the night. What place were you thinking of?"

She looks shy and murmurs, "My place... well it's really my Dad's place. We have an old abandoned mall next door so Dad parks his vehicles there and my brother puts his truck there. There's lots of room. It's right near the highway."

"Is it lit up at night?"

"Yep, Dad had the mall owners turn on the automatic lights on our side of the mall for security. He pays them for it.

"Won't they mind me parking there?"

"I'll tell them you're okay. That's all you need."

They pass Valley City and the university. Mike asks, "Is the mall empty?"

"There's still a Hardee's in their own building in the mall but that's it." It's after 6:00 PM and Mike's getting tired. He started at 7:00 AM so he has been almost twelve hours on the road. He'll be glad to park for the night.

He thinks he might visit that Hardee's as well when he gets in. "That sounds real good, I can get a bite to eat there."

She punches his shoulder startling him, "Don't you think I'll feed you?" She looks up at him, "I can cook... even though I can fix your truck."

Mike laughs, "Let's finish up that coffee. Will you pour?"

She does and they both sip as they drive into the sunset. Mike thinks, 'I've found a new friend.' While Lucie thinks, 'This guy's neat. I like him.'

Half an hour later they pull off on exit 260 as Lucie directs him and follow around to turn left and go into town. They drive up along the James River to 10th Street SE then turn left and go through town. When they reach 281 Mike spots Hardee's in the old mall on the right.

Lucie says, "Go around the corner on 281 and turn in by Hardee's, we'll pull over to the right to the back corner. That was our house we just came by back there."

Mike follows her directions and so they arrive at Lucie's place. She opens her door and tosses her bag down following it as quick. Mike climbs down and walks around the load. Everything's in order so when she comes running back and grabs his hand leading him to the house he follows meekly.

They go inside an older house built in the twenties. It's clean and neat but well worn. She introduces him, "Mom, Ben, this is Mike Claymore. He drove me home from Fargo. Where's Dad?"

Her mother shushes her, "She's such a whirlwind." She speaks to her daughter, "He's late delivering lumber but he called and he'll be in before long. So what are you doing back?"

She looks down, "It didn't work." She leaves the room and Mike thinks she might be crying.

Her mother says, "Please sit down, Mike. I better check on her." She leaves.

Ben says, "So I guess that rig in the lot must be yours?"

Mike grins, "It belongs to the Canadian Navy. I just drive it."

"Is that a second world war truck?"

"Yep, 1945 but the models didn't change. They used them for logging after the war."

"That's a twin stick, right?" He grins a crooked grin. Mike nods. "You must be quick. Those bastards have broken many a man's arms with kickback."

"They're tricky."

"Mind if I take a look at her?"

"Go right ahead, I'll join you." He judges Ben to be about twenty five and he reminds him of Terry, his brother. They walk around the truck, pull up the hood and Ben has to sit behind the wheel.

He nods towards his five ton dump truck. It's a 1983 Ford LN8000 Straight Truck with a Cat 210 hp engine and conventional cab in red. "That's my ride. I keep her busy."

So Mike has to walk around his and they talk truck until an older gentleman arrives and Ben introduces them, "This is my father, Ben Sr. Bridgewater. Dad, this is Mike Claymore. He gave Lucie a ride home from Fargo. She's inside."

They follow him back to the house. Inside is bedlam. Lucie's dashing around in the kitchen cooking up a storm. She's chattering, "I told him I would feed him and I can do daddy's at the same time."

She calls to Mike, "How about home fries and pork steaks, Mike? Does that sound good?" He can see she has a lot more than that on the stove but he grins and says, "Sounds great to me."

They end up with a pork steak and home fried potatoes, a scoop of mashed carrots and a hard fried egg on the plate. Pork gravy on the side and applesauce. Mike admits she can cook. Her mom has apple pie for desert.

Mike is so stuffed he's afraid to relax or he'll fall asleep. Lucie asks, "What about it, Mike. Won't you have any more apple pie?" He rubs his belly and shakes his head.

"It was delicious, ma'am but your daughter is trying to twist my arm and I have to call it quits or I'll burst." he winks at her.

"Lucie, shame on you. Don't you be forcing that poor boy to stuff himself." she winks at Mike back.

They all end up laughing about it. Finally Mike has to beg off to get some sleep. He bids them all a good night. Lucie follows him out to the truck and watches as he shuts it down under the lights. He bleeds off the air pressure and goes to the door. He looks at Lucie and tells her good night.

Lucie says, "I want to see your set up. Can I join you?" She jumps up on the running board.

Mike shrugs and opens the door following her inside. He reaches behind the seat and pulls out his shades. He fixes them in the windows then reaches back to pull out the bed roll. He spreads it and opens it. He places the pillows at the end of the seat then starts undoing his shirt.

Lucie grins and says, "Alright, I get the hint. You want to go to bed now. It looks really comfortable. I better go." She hesitates then kisses him on the mouth hurriedly. "I won't see you again so goodbye. Please stop if you're back this way." She leaves and Mike prepares to go to bed. He thinks she's just a little girl who's gotten burned.

Chapter 5

Jamestown to Vancouver

At 5:30 local time (0730 Mike's watch) on Wednesday Mike has Big Blue humming and has gone to Hardee's for breakfast. He's back and on the road by six. He doesn't see Lucie watching him go in the window.

Across the James River and south towards the freeway he watches for fuel and spots a Shell sign across the freeway. He drives across the overpass and pulls into Shell Superpumper. He fuels up and is westward bound by 7:00 AM on I94

In a little over an hour he crosses the Missouri River at Bismarck in North Dakota. He's approaching the Little Missouri Grasslands as advertised along the highway. He passes right through the prairie grasslands on the freeway at around noon. He's in Montana now and thinking about lunch.

By 2:00 PM local time (5 Pm by his watch or 1700) he sees Glendive, MT and watches for a lunch stop. At exit 215 there are signs for CC's Family Cafe and he likes the sound of it so he pulls off there.

When he enters he hears a commotion amongst a group of young students. He finds a table and watches the lively discussion. It seems some new bones have been discovered nearby. The debate is over whether they are ancient dinosaur bones or someone's cow. His waitress, a pert reddish brown haired, brown eyed student herself comes to wait on him.

"Welcome to CC's. What can I get you? The menus on the wall behind the counter." she points, "and I'm Sammy," she smiles as she indicates her name badge on one modest B cup.

"Hi, I'm Mike and I think I'll have one of those old fashioned milk shakes you sell. What flavors?"

"Chocolate, Vanilla and Strawberry."

"You don't mix them, do you? I just want one flavor. I'll take the strawberry." He winks at her and she grins as she writes it down on her pad. "Is there any luncheon special?"

"There was a brunch special, CC's breakfast scramble, but it was over at one. If you want that I can try sweet talking the cook and maybe get it for you."

"That sounds great but don't promise him too much." he winks. "Not your first born child or even your cherry."

She grins, "Sorry, too late for both of them." She runs off back to the kitchen. Shortly she returns with his shake and declares, "I got you the special and it only cost me half a finger." She splays her hand before him with one finger bent out of sight and laughs. He notices there is no wedding band on her finger. He sips his strawberry shake.

He notices the crowd is thinning out. Everyone has gone back to work, he thinks. Sammy brings his scramble then rushes to the till for another departing customer. She comes back and asks, "Anything else for you, Mike?"

He asks, "What day is this? I mean, what day of the week?"

"It's Thursday, I think." she chews her pen, "Yeah, Thursday, July 26. Why?"

"I just lost track of time. For some reason I thought it was Wednesday. I know I left Sunday morning. I'm sure it's Wednesday."

"You've been on the road all week? Where did you start from?" She sits down across from him since they're alone.

"I'm on a run from Halifax in Canada on the east coast to Vancouver, Canada on the west coast. It's better highway to drive through the USA so here I am." He's counting on his fingers, "Monday night, Chicago and Tuesday night Jamestown so this is Wednesday."

"Is it that far?" She murmurs, "Dang, I think it is Wednesday."

Mike calculates "Around 3800 miles one way. I have to drive about eleven hours a day to make it in a week."

"Where do you sleep?" I mean in motels or what?"

Mike nods towards the truck outside the window, "In my truck."

"Where? You don't have any sleeper or anything."

"That truck has an amazingly wide and comfortable bench seat right across it. I crank it back from the steering wheel and sleep in luxury."

"But it's so open, not private at all. How do you get undressed?" She blushes, "Well, you must get undressed some time."

"I have portable window shades that cover the windows. It's quite private with them in place. If you weren't working I'd invite you to see."

"There's no one in right now, maybe we could sneak out so I could see it." Mike's taken aback, he planned to be on his way, but a word said cannot be easily retracted. He nods.

To save time he pays her at the till on the way out and they run to the truck. He opens the door and helps her get up on the running board. She slides in behind the wheel and he nudges her with his hip reaching behind the seat for shades. He puts a couple in place letting her see how they work.

He sits and adjusts the seat. She marvels at the space and he says, "I keep a bedroll behind the seat that's a double sleeping bag with pillows. It's quite comfortable here on the seat."

She turns pink, "Then I'm in your bed. Oh my!" Mike pulls the shades and puts them away then gets ready to adjust the seat.

"Anything else, Sammy?" She look around like she's in a trap and indicates she has to get back. Mike helps her down and bids her goodbye. Soon he's on the road again heading into the west.

Two hours puts him in Billings, Montana and he's watching the mountains ahead in his windshield. He's putting the rolling country behind him. He runs along the foothills to Big Timber then swings left driving directly west into a valley between craggy bluffs. The highway's still good and level but he can see snow covered peaks in the distance ahead of him. His watch tells him it's after four locally and I90 has joined I94.

Just after Bozeman he hits his first 2 mile down grade and learns quickly how to use his Jake brake (compression release engine brake) so as to not overheat his air brakes. Barking down the long hill he begins to understand how useful this braking system is going to be.

Just after 7:00 PM local time he sees Table mountain, as a sign tells him and around another bend he sees a city ahead of him. It's Butte, his goal for tonight. He takes exit 126 to S Montana Street then goes north to W Iron St. and turns right. Four blocks east he comes to Main and swings north again. Two and a half blocks brings him to Town Pump on the right. It's a food and fuel outlet as well as a convenience store and deli. It also has parking and services for trucks.

Mike stretches and yawns as he stands by the truck. He walks around the rig looking for anything loose, out of place, unusual or broken. Everything seems okay and his seals have not been tampered with. He stretches again and heads for the door to the deli. He notices they have a casino here as well. He shakes his head. He's no gambler.

He goes into the deli and finds many full meal items offered as well as the salads, meats, and cheeses he expects. He gets Chili, French Fries, a Mountain Man sandwich and an Apple turnover along with Stone House coffee. An older man takes his cash and he asks, "Are you a truck driver?"

Mike nods, "How could you tell?"

"Oh, you get so you know when people come in. Strangers are often salesmen or truckers. I try to guess. It helps to pass the time."

"Oh, getting ready to close soon, eh?"

He laughs, "No, we're open 24 hrs here but I'm getting ready to leave. My relief is due anytime now." He looks up and exclaims, "Here she is now."

Mike sees a tall willowy dirty blonde with soft blue eyes and not more than twenty. He smiles as she comes in the door followed by a smaller mousy woman of about forty with wispy light hair. The younger one turns to the other and says, "Don't worry, mom. I'll pick you up at four. I know dad won't be home till noon and I'm glad to help out." She looks at Mike who is smiling and says, "Do I know you?"

"No but I wish you did. You're lovely."

She blushes and turns to her mom, "Are you sure you don't want me to stay a while?"

Mike speaks, "I'd like you to stay a while."

She scowls at him, "You? Who are you?"

"I thought you'd never ask." he grins, "I'm Mike Claymore."

"Well Mike Claymore, what do you want?"

Her mother interjects, "He's only trying to be nice, dear."

She scowls at her mother next. Mike says, "You should listen to your mother." He winks at the mother and she grins.

The mother says, "She's Tami Vestria and I'm Fern, her mother. What do you do, Mike."

"I'm a driver for the Canadian Navy. I'm delivering a load to the naval base on the west coast of Canada. It's nice to meet you, Fern." He glances at the daughter, "And you also Tami."

Fern says, "I have to relieve Johnny so he can get out of here. You stay and talk to the nice boy from Canada." She leaves to go around the counter.

"I was going to take a table to eat my supper. I'd be pleased if you'd join me and if you'd like something just say the word."

"You're very forward. Are all Canadians like that? You butt in unasked and are so nice a person feels obliged to give you your way. Why do you want me to sit with you?"

1...56789...38