Milly Scott Pt. 01: The Artist and the Cop

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I sat alone in the dark and cried. My bed suddenly empty. I missed them already. One night, four of us and now, tonight, only me.

Two days later I got a text from the two of them saying thank you.

I filled my days with activity, sketching, gardening, cleaning and walking. I spent an increasing amount of time with Jenny, virtually every day off she had we spent together doing something. Quite a lot of that time was spent on sex; I’d found my desire again. Or perhaps my desire had found me. It was loving and caring, very satisfying, not so much screaming, but it made me happy. I came to realise that I’d left a huge void and the thoughts of Alex had filled that void making me unhappy. Now I could think about her, remember her, without grief consuming me.

Visiting the kids

I had to go to London just before Christmas for an exhibition and asked Jess if I could stop over on my way back home.

I got a taxi to their house and found Jane and Fiona at home on their own. When they opened the door I stepped in and they flattened me. I was on my back on the floor with those two idiots kissing and hugging me and I loved it, despite a new bruise on my knee.

They made me tea and we sat talking. They had lots to tell: crazy teachers, stupid pupils, homework and of course they told me about the regular beatings that they had to suffer. “That’s why we liked coming to see you; there was a break from the beatings.” How Fiona kept a straight face I have no idea.

It was good to chat with Jess and Victoria when they got home and, of course, they asked about Jenny. They told me about their lives and the truth about how the kids had been. Victoria told me that she’d been sent to the garden centre by Fiona, she wanted lots of daffodils in the garden, “Your idea, apparently!”

“I never suggested such a thing; I don’t even have any in my garden. No doubt that’s because we went to see Dove Cottage. Sorry!”

I offered to take them to their classes the next day and then to take them shopping for their Christmas gifts. Jess agreed but warned, “They want some clothes. Remember their age and don’t spend too much the way you usually do.”

I agreed, but with my fingers crossed. How much is too much? I asked myself.

After the swimming and martial arts we headed for the shops. I found a beautiful leather skirt that fitted me really well although it ended a good few inches above the knees. Jane loved it and sighed as she said, “Milly I’d love one like that. Jess would die.”

We found one and I think that she looked better in hers than I did in mine. A really nice angora sweater and a pair of heels, again too high really, but hung for a sheep....

Fiona was searching hard through a rack of skirts that looked a little conservative for her. “Why these?” I asked.

“I really like Victoria’s style and I’d love a close fitting skirt like she wears.” We found one, dark green, nicely cut, knee length and with little side slits. A cream silk blouse and heels completed the look, almost.

“Tights.” I steered them to one of the counters at the store and we browsed for really nice ones. I thought Fiona was going to faint at the price, but these were the real deal.

Jess saw the bags and gasped, “Milly what have you done?”

“I think you need to wait until Christmas day and you’ll be surprised. Their outfits are a little more mature than I expected, but they’ll be stunning. Yes, I spent a fortune but I don’t care, they’ve given me so much fun and they’re so great, it’s all worth it. You and Vic should be proud of them, very proud. I should have agreed to be kept under their bed!” We both laughed.

Christmas

Jenny had to work on Christmas day, but would be over in the evening. Until she was, I was on my own, trying to watch TV and failing. I sat in an armchair with a glass of wine and reflected back on my life. I had been lucky to find love, not once but twice. I’d never wanted kids, but somehow I had two almost teenagers and they made me smile just thinking about them. I was wondering how they looked in their new outfits when my phone rang, it was Fiona.

“Hi Milly, Merry Christmas. Our clothes were a hit. Thanks a million, I miss you. Here’s Jane.” She said similar things and then Victoria spoke to me.

“Milly, I wish that you’d been here to see our faces when the girls turned up in their new stuff. Jess wanted to kill you, but even she realised that they looked stunning. Fiona looked like a mini me and I gather that Jane’s leather skirt is like one that you bought.”

We chatted for a few minutes and I asked for a photo. Twenty minutes later it arrived and I burst into tears. My god, they looked incredible, so beautiful.

I showed the photo to Jenny when she arrived and she was also pretty stunned. “You need to invite them back, I loved meeting them.”

That evening we went to bed early and made long slow love.

The Broken leg

Two weeks later I got a call from one of Jenny’s colleagues, which was not so unusual. Sometimes, if she wasn’t able to call herself, she would ask someone to call to tell me that she was going to be late. “Hi Milly. It’s Pete, Jenny’s DS. She’s okay, but she tripped on the stairs and took a bad tumble. It looks like her leg is broken and we’ve shipped her off to hospital. She asked me to let you know.” I knew that she wouldn’t be ‘okay,’ but they say that to avoid panic.

I grabbed my biggest handbag and filled it with bottles of water, snacks, clean underwear, a nightshirt, my book, a sketchpad and set off. She was in surgery and someone from the police HR department and a nurse explained that she’d caught her foot and fallen down a long flight of stairs. She’d banged her head, grazed the side of her face and fractured her ankle and lower leg. They were operating and it looked as if they may have to put in a pin.

I called Susie and Ben to let them know, but told them that I had things under control. The doctors reported that things had gone well; they’d put in a pin. She’d be in hospital for a couple of days and they wanted to make sure that she hadn’t done any damage when she hit her head.

It was two hours later that she opened her eyes. Well one of them. The other was closed and bruised and the scrape on her face was pretty ugly. She smiled at me and muttered, “Clumsy bitch.” Then she fell asleep again.

I stayed with her until I was thrown out. I was back early the next day and found her sitting up, wincing in pain. She was going to be off her feet for a while and embarrassed about what had happened. There were a few cards from colleagues and most were funny, but also abusive.

Two days later they delivered her to my home and managed to get her to my bedroom. “Milly, it’s great that you’re looking after me, but I should be in the spare room.”

“There’s more room in here, a TV and it’s closer to the loo. As you can’t go anywhere without help, you’re stuck.” I leaned over and kissed her. “Besides now I have you at my mercy and I intend to make the most of it.”

I slept in the spare room for a couple of nights because I might have hurt her if we’d shared the bed. I had to bring her food and help her to the toilet. There were no secrets now. I confess that I loved having to look after her and spent ages sitting talking with her.

She was on a lot of pain pills and would drift off to sleep often and when she went did I always kissed her forehead and told her how much I loved her.

Shortly after she’d awoken from a nap one afternoon she looked at me and said, “Milly I still feel bad about kicking you out of your bedroom.”

It was long past time to sort this out. Not the way that I’d intended, but needs must. “Jenny, why don’t we call this ‘our’ bedroom and that side of the closet, ‘Jenny’s closet.’ Would you like to move in here, with me, and we can call this our home?”

Her mouth fell open and her eyes went wide. She stuttered, “Do you mean that you want me to live with you, like all the time, like a couple?”

I nodded, “Would you like to?”

“Dumb question of the day. Are you serious?”

“Yes, yes I am and I was trying to work out when to ask you, talk to you about it. This wasn’t how I thought it would go, but it seems like a good time.”

“Yes, Milly I’d love it, a dream come true. I never had the nerve to ask you, I needed to give you time. Fuck, I love you and tonight I’ll take extra meds so that we can share our bed.”

Jenny struggled for a while and there was a lot of rehab required. I spent lots of time ferrying her about, running after her, but I enjoyed it. It brought us closer together.

Easter

Jess called me to ask if the girls could visit during their Easter break, for a few days. I was delighted, excited. It would be different because Jenny was here now and she would be going back to work about then, if the doctors gave her the all-clear. I decided to write to the girls, explain the changes and that Jenny and I were delighted they were coming. I included a cartoon-style sketch of Jenny propped up in bed with a huge plaster cast, far bigger than it actually had been, it also showed her head covered in bandages, which it never was.

They sent a message back saying that they were looking forward to the visit.

They came by train and the girls raced down the platform towards me. I opened my arms. “Hi Milly, great to be here, where’s Jenny?” asked Jane.

“She’s having some physiotherapy and we’re going to collect her. Nice to see you both.”

Fiona looked up at me and simply said, “Missed you,” and kissed me on the cheek.

As in the past the conversation went along at 90mph, with questions being fired off constantly.

I led the way to collect Jenny. She was sitting waiting for us and I waved, but the girls raced forward and grabbed her. “Hey Jenny, how are you? Can we see your scar? How much did it hurt?” Jenny looked up at me as if to say, ‘What the hell is this?’

They took her hands and escorted her to the car as if she was still an invalid, okay she had a slight limp still, but didn’t need the close attention she was getting. Was I jealous? Maybe a little, but I was also pleased that they accepted her as a part of my life.

They got their stuff unpacked and showed me some new walking kit that they’d persuaded Victoria to buy for them. “Very impressive ladies. Now, do you want a drink and what would you fancy for dinner?”

The two of them looked at each other, Jane nodded and Fiona answered, “Can we go to the pub for dinner. We like it?”

“Okay.” I replied but it was clear that there was more -

“Can we see the scar, pleeeease!” Fiona was screwing up her face as she pleaded.

Jenny laughed at the two of them and headed for our room. “Turn your backs and no peeking. I’m going to take my trousers off.” She did so and sat on the end of the bed. “Now you can look.”

Fiona looked puzzled. “Why did we need to turn round so you could take your trousers off, we can see your knickers now.”

“I thought it was funny,” replied Jenny.

Fiona looked at Jane and whispered, “Must have sustained brain damage as well!” We all laughed and they made a very careful inspection of the scar. They took turns running their fingers across it, asked if Jenny had photos and wanted to know exactly what had been done. It was a twenty minute interrogation.

Three of us walked to the pub and Jenny limped. I ordered our drinks, told Reg to fill Bob’s glass and he winked at me as I walked over to the table with some menus. Fiona asked to go and place the order. Instead of coming back she climbed up onto a bar stool next to Bob. They leaned towards each other and I watched as they chatted. It was the longest conversation that I’ve known anyone to have with him.

When the food arrived Fiona placed her hand on Bob’s and came back to join us. Although we were itching to ask what had been said she remained quiet and I realised that she was waiting for us and becoming frustrated because no one had asked her. You could see it building inside her and I felt that if I didn’t do something she’d explode. “So what were you two talking about?”

“Oh now you want to know? I’m sure that I must have forgotten it was so long ago.” She made a noise that clearly showed that she was annoyed at us, so we ignored her. We talked about all sorts of things and Jenny told her police tales, most of which I’m sure were made up.

As we walked back to the cottage my phone rang and it was Jess checking up on us. I handed the phone to Jane who said, “Mum, we’re fine, we’re with Milly and Jenny, so go and have fun, do that kissy stuff with Victoria and stop pestering us.”

I made hot chocolate and produced a tin of chocolate biscuits. We sat down and I turned to Fiona, “So what were you and Bob talking about?”

She sighed at finally being asked. “He was in the Royal Navy for twenty-five years, then joined then Merchant Navy for another fifteen. He’s been all over the world and said that he had a girlfriend in every port, but that’s only because he’d never met me. When he retired, he came back here and met a local woman and they got married. They were only together for eight years and she died ten years ago. He likes to be in the pub to be around people, but doesn’t like talking very much. He really likes you Milly, and he enjoyed talking to me.”

“I don’t think anyone knows about Bob’s life. It was nice of you to speak to him.”

“He’s lonely, but happy with his life. I like him.” Well that was it; if Fiona liked him, he must be okay.

As they went to bed I reminded them about not sneaking in with us. They looked sad but nodded. Jenny climbed into bed, looked at me and asked, “Ten minutes?” I smiled. But they didn’t come and I was a little disappointed.

The next morning they wanted to hike again. We left Jenny to go to the gym and get some exercise. It was a much more ambitious walk than we’d attempted before, over some bigger hills. The views were spectacular. We didn’t chat as much as usual because of the effort required. At the peak of one hill Fiona stood on a rock and shouted, “I’ve just conquered Everest and I’m queen of the mountains!” Jane and I sat on another rock and laughed with her.

It’s fair to say that we were exhausted by the time we got back to Rose Cottage. None of us had the energy for a walk to the pub, so it was pasta and red wine. I know that they’re too young to drink, but it seemed like a good idea at the time and they only had one glass each. Jenny cleared away as the three of us lounged on the couch. When Jenny sat down on the big chair opposite me, Jane went over and sat next to her with her arms round her. Fiona hugged me and we both fell asleep.

Three hours later I woke up. I was still stretched out on the couch with Fiona in my arms, there was a blanket over us and the lights were off. I found Jane and Jenny curled up in our bed fast asleep. I went to the loo, had a drink of water and went back to the couch. Fiona muttered something that sounded like “Missed you” before moving towards me again.

Fiona and I were stiff the next morning, of course Jane and Jenny made teasing comments as they cooked our breakfast. Jane made the most telling remark, “I could’ve stayed at home and watched that sort of behaviour. You, Milly, should be ashamed carrying on like that with your girlfriend in the next room.” Jenny was grinning.

“Listen miss. I know what you were up to in my bed with Jenny, I saw you.”

Fiona looked puzzled. “I’ve missed out here. All I did was fall asleep. What happened?”

There was to be no walking that day so the four of us went to the nuclear power station for a visit. I’d never been before and it was interesting, but we agreed on the way home that it made us nervous.

Yet again I found myself driving them to the station with the knowledge that the fun and laughs of the last few days were over until we next saw them. We kissed and hugged as we said farewell. I made it back to the car before the tears started.

That evening Jenny and I spoke about the two of them. I was stunned at what she said, “I love you and living with you is the best thing ever, but you’ve given me something that I never expected -- those two. I love them to pieces; they’re adorable and so funny. Fiona can switch between being a little girl and a mature genius almost instantly and Jane seems to play the straight man, woman, you know what I mean.”

Back to work

Jenny had been for a medical and was pronounced fit for to return to duty. I’d miss her being about the place, but it was for the best. She was starting to get restless and hankering to get back to work. They made her do a phased return, an increasing number of days each week. That frustrated her more than not working at all, but it passed quickly.

Within a couple of weeks she was back to hunting down burglars and bag snatchers. She loved getting involved in complex enquiries. These didn’t happen very often, but occasionally there was an armed robbery, a rape or a murder. They kept her away from home for long hours, but I could see how much she enjoyed the challenge. I was always waiting for her when she came home; it made me feel great that I could take care of her.

On her days off we did all sorts of things, theatre, movies and music. A couple of times we managed to get away for a couple of nights. The hills and walking were something that we shared. It was just the two of us, sometimes holding hands and stopping occasionally for a kiss or cuddle. I felt myself falling deeper in love with her as the weeks passed.

The Wedding

I was drinking coffee and leafing through a Sunday news supplement when I stopped at an article about a celebrity wedding. I was shocked when I read part of it and blurted out, “Jesus, have you any idea how much these people paid for their wedding?”

Jenny smiled at me, “It’s an expensive event and lots of nonsense. You don’t need all of that stuff. At least I wouldn’t want that.”

What had she just said? We looked at each other. “We wouldn’t have to spend a fortune would we?” I asked.

Her mouth fell open, “Milly, what are you saying?”

“Maybe we should think about it. What do you think?”

She was on her knees so fast there was now coffee on the floor beside her and she looked up. “Milly I don’t need to think about it. Will you marry me?” There was a pleading look in her eyes.

“I’ll think about it.” I replied and her face fell. I was teasing her. “Okay, yes!”

“Serious?”

“Yes, serious. Now I need a kiss, come here.” Most of the rest of the day was spent in bed. The sex was good and the laughter was loud and frequent. We planned our wedding right there in our bed.

Four months later I was sitting in a hotel bedroom where the wedding would take place the following day, with my two bridesmaids. We were telling jokes and checking our clothes. There hadn’t been any need to think about who I would ask and they were delighted. Fiona said that if she hadn’t been asked she’d never have spoken to me again. Jess and Victoria had given their approval and were staying in my cottage over night. The girls were staying with me in the suite and I suspected that only one bed would be needed.

Jenny was staying at another hotel with her friends, including Susie, who was going to be her bridesmaid. We’d decided that we didn’t need best men. She’d asked Ben, the gallery owner and a lifelong friend of her father to give her away. I decided that I didn’t want to be ‘given away.’

Jane, Fiona and I were up late talking as ever. They asked lots of awkward questions about sex. Well I found it awkward to start with, but it was clear that they wanted to understand. They also laughed as we talked about the weekend that I’d spent at their home so that we could sort out our dresses. That had been great fun. Jess had been fantastic and approved of the girl’s outfits.

1...345678