Murder Close to Home: Carmine -Edit

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It is but I believe he who has the best equipment does the best job. We provide the tools and rely on you to use them wisely. Are you familiar with the SLR 35mm format?"

"I have one but not as good as this one. Auto advance, remote shutter release and auto dating along with the assortment of tripods and clamps, I'm impressed."

"Okay. Let's do it. Shall we take your car?"

"Might as well since I'm getting mileage."

"You won't be out of pocket with me, Roger."

He bids Connie a good afternoon and they leave. Mike glances at the file as they pull out for Clayburn Village. "Do you know this area of Sumas Mountain?"

"Not well. I've been through Clayburn Village a few times but only the main street."

Mike chuckles, "There isn't much more than that." They go out the Abby/Mission Highway to the Clayburn Road. Roger drives to the village at the end of the road nestled up the slope of Sumas Mountain. He starts watching for house numbers and turns at an intersection onto Straiton Road. They follow the winding climb of the road to Mathers Street. He watches the numbers and they soon spot the property by the number on the mailbox.

The house is far back in the wooded lot and Mike explains, "Up here they have ten acre lots so the house might be set back in there quite a piece. Looks like we might have to do some hiking."

"Darn, and I suppose this is private property. Can we trespass legally?"

"Do you see any signs?"

Roger looks both ways and shakes his head.

"Lets go then. If the property is posted we didn't see it. The car should be okay here. Just make sure it's locked."

They keep the laneway in sight as they work their way back into the property. Within two hundred feet of the road Mike spots the house through the brush and trees. He leads the way to a spot where they can see both the driveway and the house from a vantage point.

"Lets set up here for now and take a look at the place. Do you want the binoculars or the camera?"

Roger uses the binoculars and Mike fits the high-powered lens on the camera. He grins as he peers though the aperture. "Like most folks that live in seclusion they rely on the ground cover to ensure their privacy: no curtains at any of the windows. Do you see anyone around the grounds?"

"I think there's someone around back. There's a dog back there and it seems to be romping around with someone out of sight."

Mike has his lens trained on the upper two windows. "Good observation. I think I've found the bedrooms."

"Mike! Someone's coming!"

Mike pulls his eye from the camera and sees the long black car coming up the drive. He trains the lens on the driver and asks Roger for the file. He looks at the picture of the woman and her husband. "Hmm, it's not her husband."

"Can I take a look through the lens?" Mike hands the camera to him. He peers and comments, "Wow! What a difference! It's like I'm in the front seat with him."

"Let's get that camera on a tripod. We want it rock steady for any shooting we have to do." Mike watches with the binoculars while Roger sets up the camera. He chuckles, "There's the Mrs. out back, she's putting the dog in a kennel." He looks at the file. "It's her all right." He adds, "When you have that ready try to get a facial shot of that guy. He's just getting out of the car."

They watch and the fellow in a business suit goes to ring the bell. He stands nervously on the brick steps and reaches for the bell again as the door is opened.

Mike asks, "You got his plate number, did you?"

Roger nods, "I got it."

"Did you catch his mug?" Roger nods again.

"How about the time?"

"That's on the camera."

"Record it from your watch as well to confirm that it's accurate."

"Okay." He makes a note of the time and estimates how long it has been since he took the shot and marks it as an approximate time. "I got a shot of his vehicle and the plates, as well."

"Good thinking, you'll get on to this easy Roger."

"What are they doing now?"

"We don't know so we keep watching." Roger pans the camera and Mike studies the house with the binoculars watching for any movement. He comments, "I guess that neighbor knew what he was talking about."

"It was a she."

Mike chuckles, "Maybe she's jealous of all the company her neighbor has."

"What's your take on this?"

"I think our housewife here is working for an escort agency in town."

Roger grins, "That was my feeling."

"Mind you, that could be her brother." Roger nods. Mike adds, "If we keep watching we'll know the diff in the long run."

Roger mutters, "Top right window! He's lost his jacket!"

Mike focuses and grins, "Yep, he's stripping for action."

"He seems to be right at home, doesn't he?"

"Be ready to start clicking when they both appear together in that room."

"She's there. She's out of sight on the left of the window."

"Does that look like he's taking off his shoes?"

"That's what I'd say."

"There she is! Now if he would just stand up! Oh my God, what boobs!"

Roger snickers, "You should see them through this high powered lens."

"There! Did you get him?" He hears the whir and click.

"I think so. That was so quick!"

"I know, you have to be right on the shutter release. Give them time and they'll show up again. I think they're down on the bed." Mike looks around for a higher point of vantage to shoot from. He adds, "Don't worry about wasting a few frames. If you feel action is pending start shooting. Better to waste a few shots and get the action than to miss it waiting for it to start." He studies a sturdy branch on a large Maple tree nearby.

"Stay here and keep that lens on that window. I'm going to check something." Roger nods.

Mike slips to the tree and studies hand holds. He climbs up to the branch he was looking at. He braces his back against the trunk and raises the binoculars. He grins. He can see the lower half of the bed and the two bodies engages in sexual intercourse. He can't see their heads but there is no question as to what is going on. He wishes he had the camera with him. With its clarity he is sure he could count their toes. The man stands up with a silly smile on his face and Mike can see Roger is shooting away. She appears with her back to the window and steps out of sight to the left. The man goes the same way.

Mike climbs down and goes to Roger. "Did you catch him?"

"Sure did, full face!"

"Too bad she didn't turn around."

"There they are! They're leaving the room. Both have their backs to us."

"Maybe we can catch them together at the front door."

They wait and watch. After about ten minutes the door opens and he comes out with his jacket on his arm. She steps out with him in a summery jump suit and Mike hears the camera clicking as they kiss on the step.

As the car goes off down the driveway and out the lane Mike chuckles, "I bet she's a few sheckles richer."

"You think she's selling it?"

"That would be my guess."

"Could be. Such a shame! She's a sweet looking lady."

"You're still watching her?"

"Yeah."

Mike laughs quietly. "It's just as well, I think we have more company coming. They must have passed each other outside on the road. Maybe he was waiting his turn."

"Hey, that's a woman."

Mike trains the binoculars on the new car, a green late model sporty car. The car pulls up in front and the two women greet each other with hugs. They stand and talk by the doorstep and the woman goes back to her car. She waves as she leaves. Mike watches her and sees she is chatting on a cell phone as she drives out the lane. He grins. "I think we have another customer on his way."

"Huh? Do you see another car?"

"Not yet."

Roger looks at him in bewilderment, "How do you figure it?"

"Be patient, I don't think he'll be long." Roger shrugs and watches.

Meanwhile the lady has gone back in the house. They gab about old times for a while when suddenly Roger says, "I think I hear a car."

Sure enough a long limousine pulls in along the lane towards the house. This time the lady comes out the front door to meet the car as the chauffeur gets out to open the door for a middle aged gentleman. She rushes forward and takes his hands in hers as they go towards the house. Just before they get to the door he slaps her on the rump and she jumps opening the door and laughing. They go inside. The chauffeur retires to the front seat behind the wheel.

Mike says, "Okay, we are moving. Did you see me up that tree?"

Roger grins, "Okay, I'm game if you are."

Quickly they move the equipment and climb up into the branches. Mike shows him how to use the clamps to secure the camera and Roger peers through the lens. "Hey, I can see the bed."

"Yep, and I see she's made it up already. She's one fast chick."

"Is that where they were?"

"Yep."

They wait but nothing happens. Mike changes his position a few times and so does Roger. After half an hour Roger asks, "Do you think we're missing it?"

"I don't know. He's a high roller so she may be taking her time."

They watch and wait but eventually the two come back out the front door and he returns to his fancy car. She goes to the car with him and gives his a warm send off. Then the car is leaving the property.

Roger caught shots of them together as he left. They grumble about her doing him in the sauna or the living room. Roger asks if there is any point in them staying up in the tree. Mike mulls it over and says, "I have a feeling there will be at least one more along today. Lets sit it out."

They spot the lady in the back yard in a bikini romping with the dog and Mike has misgivings. They wait patiently but Mike expresses his doubts.

Roger says, "Listen! Is that tires on gravel? Mike nods as he swings the binoculars around. Roger goes on, "She's putting the dog in the kennel. She must have the laneway set up with a detector."

"Yep, that's one of the reasons I brought us back here well away from the normal entry point."

"I see. I never thought of that."

"You have to be wary of all kinds of electronic surveillance equipment these days. Some places have some real elaborate set ups."

"Nice car. Wish I could afford one like that." This one is white but very conservative and sedate. A younger executive type steps lively from the vehicle and bounces up the steps ringing the bell. He peers around him as he waits. Roger has his profile on film.

When the door opens he pops inside without the lady showing any appearance. Mike mutters, "We will have to catch them together in a shot." Roger nods. They don't have long to wait.

Roger catches them entering the upstairs bedroom together tearing at each other's clothes. The camera is clicking away catching them romping on the bed and soon fully involved in intercourse. Roger comments, "Oh Mike, my poor wife when I get home tonight!"

"They seem to be well matched, don't they?"

"Did you ever try that position?" Mike nods. "Ye gods, you're up on me." He stays glued to the aperture.

Mike chuckles. "I imagine this will be the last one for today. It will only be about two hours and her husband will be home."

"I hope he doesn't want a piece of tail. She must be worn out!"

Mike laughs, "You think that will stop her? No way! A highly sexed woman like that could take on a dozen guys a day. In fact I bet she had at least one customer before we got here."

"She sure still has a lot of energy! Aren't you watching?"

Mike lifts the binoculars, "Yep, occasionally."

"I suppose this is old hat to you. This is some different than watching patients all day in the hospital. I think I'm going to like this."

"Wait until it's raining and you have no cover and the contact doesn't do anything for six hours leaving you with nothing at the end of the day."

"I guess you have days like that."

"Too many! That's why you pay attention to detail and save yourself where you can. You'll learn."

"When Mrs Van Houghton assigns me a spot I have to go, don't I?"

"Sure but she will leave it up to you how you handle it. For instance, we could have sat out at the road and got pictures of all the vehicles that came and went here today. This is the way I would handle this assignment. It will be up to you in future."

"I guess you have to use your head."

"Yep and it sometimes takes a lot of guts, plain and simple."

"Wow, he's still at it and they've changed positions."

Mike looks through his binoculars. "He's getting his money's worth." He chuckles and thinks he will have to take a look at these prints when they're developed. Trudy will like them. He explains who to see about developing the film but he suspects Connie might have her own dealer so he tells Roger to check with her first.

They watch and catch them both in a shot as the guy is leaving. Mike suggests they pack up and head back to the office to do up the day's report. As they are driving back he goes over Roger's notes and suggests ways to organize them as he makes them so it will be faster and easier to do up his report.

They park at the rear and go in the side door. Down at the training room they meet Ram Singh and all shake hands. Ram is filling out a report so he helps Roger and Mike leaves them to go upstairs.

Laura smiles and says, "Mrs. V. would like to see you."

"Is she busy?"

She checks the phone and says, "She's not on the phone. Hang on." She uses the intercom, "Ma'am, Mr. Claymore is here."

Mike hears, "Send him right in, please."

"Yes ma'am." Mike nods and goes to his office. He steps to the connecting door and raps.

"Come in, Mike."

"Hi there," he enters. "What's up?"

She pushes a sheet of paper across the desk to him. He picks it up and asks, "Who took the call?"

"Laura but she referred them to me. I took the information."

"Who was it that called? Oh, I see it here. It was Jim Chandler, eh?"

"Uh huh. Do we get into it? It's outside our area."

"Well Jim called me because he knows me. I'll call him."

"Have you done work in that area?"

"Oh yes, my first murder case was in Poco."

"How about security?"

"No, we've steered clear of north of the river except in Mission so far."

"I'll leave it with you, then?"

"Yes, I suppose. Anything else?"

"I had to send some business to Trudy today. We need another officer."

"Even with Roger on board?"

She nods. "Work is pouring in. I think I better line up some more interviews."

"What about our Commissionaire?"

She grins, "I have him working today."

"Oh, well let's look for someone interested in doing skip tracing out of this office, as well. I'll speak to Trudy about training someone."

"I see you asked Laura. She told me."

"I was just feeling her out to see if she might be interested."

"I thought that was the case. She made it sound like you offered her the job."

"No, I don't do that. You have final say unless it comes to a conflict between you and Trudy."

"Thanks."

"I better go call Jim. See you later."

Mike goes back to his own office and calls the number on the memo. He hears, "CP Express and Transport, Port Coquitlam. Can I help you?"

"It's Mike Claymore returning a call from Jim Chandler."

"Hi Mike, hang on." He hears her talking on another phone. "Mike? I think he's gone for the day. I have someone looking for him. Oh, hold on."

There are a few clicks on the line then, "Jim here."

"Jim, it's Mike Claymore. You were trying to call me earlier?"

"Mike! Was I? What was it? Jog my memory."

"I don't know, I have a memo saying something about shrinkage."

"Oh, right! Yeah, we have a lot of loss in the warehouse lately and I was wondering if you might take a look for us. Jerry suggested you in a board meeting."

"Is it more than usual, Jim? I thought your people looked after that."

"Jerry suggested an outsider and if it pans out, maybe a contract with your people. Are you interested?"

"I am, of course but I will have to discuss it with my partner. Can I get back to you on this? Say I call you tomorrow? Does that work?"

"Yeah, that's great Mike. I'll wait to hear from you."

Mike gets off the phone and checks the time. He decides to call it a day.

* + *

Monica is crouched by Carmine's car in the alley behind his place. She has watched him go in the house and has a wicked grin on her face. She takes her car key and drags it down the side of Carmine's car. She starts dragging it up and down the body on her way back up the car. She twists it hard to bite deep into the paint back down the side again and scratches a fancy C near the gas cap.

She sneaks around the car and does the same on the other side then sneaks off up the alley. She mutters, "He will think it was that bitch of a wife. Then he'll come back to me!"

* + *

Across town in the pub her ex-husband is listening to a horrifying tale of how his ex-wife was humiliated in the back room by a fellow named Carmine. Bill Drummond insists they tell him where to find this bastard that did this to his ex. He tears out of the bar seeing red.

He mutters, "That bastard is going to wish he was never born." He screams his tires leaving the pub. No one was quite sure where Carmine lived or his last name. He swears he will find him.

* + *

Mike arrives home for supper and finds Shelly helping her mother to put the meal on. He pulls Marlene's apron string and kisses her as she is struggling to recover it. She lets him back her against the fridge before whispering, "Mike, not now!" She rolls her eyes towards Shelly.

Mike turns with a laugh, "Hey kitten, how are you tonight." She has turned her hips so he pulls her apron string, as well.

She grabs it and says, "Oh Daddy!" but her face is beaming.

He goes on into the living room, "Hi tiger!"

Jan goes, "Grrrrrrrr!" Mike laughs and hugs her. "So you are watching Emma tonight, are you? Is she being a good girl?"

"Yep, I'm teaching her to colour." She is colouring in a book and showing it to Emma but keeping the book just beyond her reaching fingers. Mike clicks the remote turning on the news on the TV.

Marlene comes in and stands behind him. She reaches down and rubs his shoulders. "Are you going early in the morning?" Mike nods. She sighs, "I thought you might. Will you come home early to me on Sunday, please?"

Her and Trudy have an agreement that he lives in Abbotsford with Marlene four days of the week and in Chilliwack with Trudy on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. They set up this arrangement when Trudy and he bought their own home in Chilliwack earlier that year.

"I certainly will."

She leans down and kisses his upturned face. "Supper is almost ready."

"Okay, I'll bring Emma."

He brings the baby and puts her in her highchair then lets Marlene and Shelly feed her as they all enjoy supper. Rick is quiet. A teacher had almost caught him at noon with Julie. Too many students and parents were around then so they had come home aching to get together.

After supper Shelly volunteers Jan and her will do the dishes hoping it will send her mother looking for her father. Instead Marlene goes to the basement to do some sewing and Mike decides to watch some TV.

* + *

Elsewhere Bill Drummond is drinking heavy as he curses 'Carmine what's his name'. He has searched and can't find his ex-wife or her antagonistic paramour. He is resolved to beat the man to a pulp if he can find him. He has another drink.

* + *

And at Carmine's home the phone rings. Cindy stares at it and Carmine slams his boot against the wall. "Answer the damn phone!" She creeps to it and Neil ducks under her skirt.

Carmine shouts, "Get out from there, you pervert!" He reaches down and snatches Neal by the ankle jerking him away from her. Neil lets out a scream and nothing he can do stops him from screaming.

1...56789...32