Murder Close to Home: Carmine -Edit

Story Info
Another Mike Claymore mystery #8.
116k words
4.56
3.3k
3
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Another MIKE CLAYMORE MYSTERY #8:

Carmine - EDITED

A novel by David Horton

Copyright 2000

Chapter 1:

October 27

Ice and snow everywhere he looks. He won't be going anywhere in this weather. Mike lays his head back down on his favorite pillows, a pair of human female breasts. Outside the wind howls and whistles between the twin chrome stacks of his K100 Kenworth that are obscured by drifting snow.

Mike is a driver for CPX (Canadian Pacific Express & Transport) who carries out what is referred to as 'intermediate haulage', that is that he hauls inter-provincial loads of goods but does not haul nationally from coast to coast. He restricts his driving to about three days a week this way in compliance with his wife's wishes. Basically he drives because he loves it and it gives him a break from his own business, Trike Services, Incorporated of Abbotsford, British Columbia in Canada.

Currently Mike is located near the lodge at the top of Roger's Pass because the Trans Canada Highway is closed during the blizzard by snow slides to the west of him. He is coming back from Calgary with a single trailer known as a 'longbox' as opposed to the short trailers he often hauls in pairs called 'pups'.

His companion in the sleeper bunk is Veronica Summerfield, a brunette of 23 years who he met working at the Agassis RCMP Detachment over a year ago. He first enticed her to ride with him in March of this year. Again in July she rode with him and she was over a month pregnant then. Now she has about four months to go until full term and she looks like she might have the child at any time.

She sleeps peacefully on her back with her fingers entwined in his hair and a smile on her face. And what a smile it is with her twin dimples, fair skin and sprinkling of freckles. Her protruding stomach forms a mound under the light covering broken by an outline of the shape of Mike's hand resting on it. He gently kisses the side of one breast nearest him without moving to disturb her.

An insistent buzzing invades the sleeper and he silently curses as he reaches for his cell phone on a low shelf by the bunk. The lighted display says 'Home -- CHWK' as he lifts it to his ear and feels Veronica stirring.

"Hello love."

"Darling, did you get caught in the road closure?"

"Yep."

"Are you in Golden?"

"I made it up to the lodge in the pass."

"The TV says it's really bad between you and Revelstoke. They're saying it might be a day before the highway is opened again."

"That doesn't surprise me, love. It's snowing and blowing pretty bad here now."

"What're you doing?"

"I was sleeping."

"Oh, I'm sorry darling." She hesitates, "You better be alone!"

"Of course I am, love."

"You know I don't believe you. Whose with you, Veronica?"

"Veronica who?" He glances her way and Veronica winks at him.

"You know damn well who! She looks like she's about nine months. She shouldn't be riding around the country with you let alone riding you!"

"Trudy, you have a suspicious mind."

"Uh huh."

"How're the kids? Are you getting any of this weather in the valley?"

"Nope, the roses are still blooming outside the window and the grass needs cutting again so you better get your ass home soon." She giggles, "Do you hear your daughter? She knows I'm talking to you. Hear her going 'dada, dada, dada'?"

Mike laughs quietly, "I hear her. Tell her and Crystal I'll be home as soon as I can." Veronica is pulling him impatiently back down beside her.

She whispers, "Tell her goodbye."

Trudy explodes, "I heard that! Who the hell does she think she is? Let me talk to her! Right now, Michael!"

Mike covers the mouthpiece, "Now you've done it. She heard you and wants to talk to you."

"I'll talk to her. Give me the phone!" She snatches it from Mike's hand. "You wanted to talk to me?"

She listens with a pained expression. "Tough shit! He's with me now!"

Mike winches as she goes on, "Of course we are! Did you think we'd be out sleeping in a snowdrift?"

Mike can almost make out Trudy's strident words. "Piss off! You get him all the rest of the time so butt out!"

Then she says, "Sticks and stones may break my bones but names can never hurt me. Mike, how do you turn this thing off?"

Mike takes the phone from her and puts it to his ear to hear the phone banging down on the other end. Then there's a dial tone. "Whew, you stirred a hornet's nest that time. Trudy can be damn tough." He punches 'end' and returns the phone to the shelf.

"What can she do?" In the dim light he can see her smile and the red flush of her pale skin. He slides an arm under her neck and she snuggles her bare body to his.

"Well, she could call your fiancé and tell him where you are."

"I don't care. Would she do that?"

"I don't think she would. I'm not sure." He runs his hand over her belly.

"Oh, don't push too hard. I have to pee."

"I'll get the can." Mike rolls onto his back. He reaches to the floor for a large institutional size peas can he has on the floor. He sits up and lifts it up for her as she pushes her bottom to the edge of the bunk by him and sits up.

He suggests, "Open your legs and push a little closer the edge. Wait until I tell you."

She does as he says, "Don't wait too long to tell me." Her grin is radiant with her blushing.

Mike pushes the can between her legs and says, "Go for it!" In a lull of the wind's howling there is the sound of splashing water and she sighs.

"Damn, the edge of that can is cold on the legs! Thank you, my prince." She lets herself back down on the bed and pulls herself up to the pillow. Mike puts the can back on the floor and stretches out by her. She places her hand on his bicep and pulls herself up for a kiss.

Mike places his hand on her stomach again and slowly works the hand out to her hip kneading the flesh all the way. He starts again and kneads the other side the same. She lays back and sighs enjoying the massage. Next he works the same from her pelvis outward.

When he gently pulls her leg to him and starts working on the muscles inside her thighs she spreads her legs for him. He chuckles, "No hurry love, I am just massaging for now."

In a soft dreamy voice she replies, "Okay, but whenever you want I'm ready for you." She is rewarded with a kiss and then Mike continues the massage of the muscles inside her thighs from her knees up to her vulva. He does the same with the other leg and then starts working from her pelvis outward again. He feels her drifting off to sleep and eases up cradling her head on his arm. He pulls the light cover over them and closes his eyes.

A banging on the side of the truck wakes him. "Hey Mike, you there?"

He calls out, "Yep, what's up?"

"It's Ernie. I caught up to you. They opened up the highway east of here. Are you coming or going?" Mike hears the door opening.

"Heading for the coast, Ernie. Same as you."

The curtain moves and Mike says, "Uh, I have company Ernie."

"Oh, sorry buddy. How long have you been here?" Mike hears the air ride seat squeak.

"Pulled in before midnight. What time is it?"

"About ten thirty."

"Do you have coffee?"

"Yeah, got some. Do you want some?"

"Nope, I got some. I was offering you some."

"No, I'm good. What have you got on?"

Veronica mumbles, "Of all the nerve."

Mike answers, "Load for Canadian Tire from Toronto."

"Yeah, same here. Have you heard when the highway will be open?"

"Trudy called. She said it's on the TV it might not be opened today."

"Oh, okay. I guess that must be the wife with you then. Hi Marlene."

"Uh Ernie, it's not the wife."

"Aw hey, sorry guys. I'll get out of here. I want to check and see who else is parked along here anyway. See you later. Maybe we'll get a card game going later. You game?"

"Maybe. We'll see."

"Later then." Mike hears the door open and close. He also feels the gust of cold air and pulls Veronica closer. He explains, "Another of our CPX drivers, love."

"I wonder how many trucks are out there?"

"I was number eight when I pulled in last night. I bet it's closer to twenty-eight by now and all the cars up at the lodge. Are you hungry?"

"Hungry for you." She slides a hand down between them. "Hey, how come he's so slack now?"

Mike laughs, "He won't be if you keep doing that."

"Good!"

* + *

Meanwhile another CPX tractor-trailer is cruising along on the freeway in the Fraser Valley. It has just left the truck stop at Floods west of Hope. The driver turns his radio down to answer his cell phone.

"Hello Monica. What is it?"

"Where were you last night?"

"I got busy."

"Busy doing what?"

"Monica, I haven't got time for this."

She lowers her voice, "You got time when you want to fuck me! Come on Carmine, will I see you tonight?"

"Okay, where?"

"My place. Around seven."

"Okay, I'll try to make it."

"Don't try, be there!"

"Okay." He punches 'end' on his cell phone and puts it in the charger. He passes the Flintstone Village at Bridal Veil Falls and starts gearing down on the grades. He mutters, "Damn woman is getting to be a pest."

When he gets out of the hilly country around Mount Cheam and the going is level on the valley floor he thumbs his cell phone on his home number. He listens to it ring and finally gives up. Cindy must be out with his youngest son, Neil at the doctors. He knew she was going today. He rolls by Chilliwack.

When he's coming up on Abbotsford he calls another number.

"Hey Lew, it's Carmine."

"Got you, CS"

"I'm on my way in with a load of shit for Zellers."

"Any electronics?"

"Stereos and VCRs."

"Put it in the incoming line up. We'll get it tonight."

"I'm stuck tonight. Can't make it."

"Forget it then!"

"Hang on, maybe later. Say around ten if that's not too late."

"That's cutting it awfully fine. What the hell, okay!"

"We just got to throw them in the trunk and get out of there."

"Yeah, but you know what it's like around shift change time. Better try to get there earlier."

"I'll try."

"Okay. And keep an eye on that fucking Broady. He's been snooping around. If you see him duck out of there."

"Later Lew."

"Yeah." They hang up. He tries his home number again. Still no answer and he can see his house from the freeway as he passes Clearbrook. The car is not in the drive. He shrugs and pushes on towards Vancouver.

His cell phone chirps on the dash. He catches it up looking at the display. He mutters, "Damn, it's Cindy. What the hell?" He speaks into the phone.

"Cindy, where were you?"

"Well, hi to you too. I just got in from the doctor's with Neil. Was that you that just went by on the freeway?"

"Yep, I tried to call you twice. I'll be in around five."

"Don't you want to know about your son?"

"Tell me at suppertime and make sure it's on time. I have to go out tonight."

"You going drinking with Lew again?"

"None of your fucking business!"

She sounds cowed, "Okay, I'll see you at five."

"Hey, you want those extras, don't you? You know I have to moonlight in order to get them for you. I just don't want CPX to know I have another job. See you at five, Cindy Kitten."

"I'll have supper on, Sugar."

"That's better." He punches 'end' and mutters, "You're another pain in the ass, woman!" Soon he is shifting down for the weigh scales at Port Mann and after he has the load weighed he crosses the Fraser River. He wheels onto the Mary Hill By-Pass and drives around Port Coquitlam to Kingsway.

Turning left he drives the half block to the Pacific terminal of CPX and pulls into the yard. He puts the trailer at the far end of the incoming line up and drives over to park his tractor behind the garage. The yardman wheels up to him and calls out, "Have you got the bills for that one?"

"They're in the tube on the trailer but they don't want it in till nightshift. They told me they were going to transfer it to a local trailer for morning on the night shift."

"Oh yeah, I see it on the list here. They want to split it up for three drops. Okay, see you later."

Carmine closes his tractor up and bleeds off the air pressure. He hauls his overnight bag with him and goes to the parking lot. Soon he is heading for Clearbrook and home.

* + *

While back on top of the world near the lodge over twenty-five eighteen-wheelers purr in the cold winter's blast. In one roomy sleeper half a dozen men sit around playing poker.

"Hey, give me two." He discards a pair. "Hey, I'll up it a dime."

Mike mutters, "Bull shitter! Give me one." He drops a card on the pile. "I'm in." He tosses in a dime.

Next to him the player says, "I'm good." He tosses in a dime.

Next man folds and says, "Hey Mike, your wife looks like she could pop at any time. I saw you up at the lodge having lunch."

Mike nods but Ernie pipes up, "That's not his wife."

The guys all listen up. One says, "What's that like Mike, screwing a woman that far gone? We haven't got any kids yet."

Mike shrugs, "She isn't as far gone as she looks but it's just the same."

"Well, aren't you afraid you'll poke the little bugger?"

"It's not in the vagina, it's up in the womb."

"Huh? What's the diff?"

Mike asks, "Who's bid is it?"

Another guy says, "When you screw her you shove your pecker up her vagina, idiot. Her womb is up passed that behind her cervix."

"No kidding. Still you shoot your wad up there. I wouldn't think that's good for the kid."

Mike says indignantly, "The 'kid' as you call it is protected in a sack. Haven't you ever heard of a woman's water breaking just before she delivers?"

"Oh yeah. So what would happen if her water sack broke while you were poking her?"

Mike chuckles, "I guess I'd get wet." He gets up. "I guess I better get back to my lady. She's all by herself in the rig. See you later, guys." He goes to throw his hand down but another guy standing to one side grabs it.

"Do you mind, Mike? What you got?" He looks at the hand and discards it. "No wonder you're going." He laughs as Mike climbs over the guy next to him and leaves the tractor.

Mike pulls his collar up around his ears and runs for his rig. He quickly climbs the ladder and bounces inside. "Whew, is it ever cold out there!" He peeks through the curtain and sees Veronica is reading. "What's the book?"

"Spock."

"The Vulcan?"

She laughs, "The doctor, you idiot!" She pats the bed beside her. Mike pulls off his jacket and hangs it over his seat then goes back to join her. "Do you want coffee?"

"Okay."

As she is fixing it for him she asks, "How much did you lose?"

Mike checks the change in his pocket. "Actually I'm up a buck."

She passes him the cup, "Coffee for the returning conquering hero."

"Thanks love." He reaches to kiss her and she meets him half way. She puts her book aside.

"Did Trudy call again?"

"No, I suppose I should call her."

"I'm sorry Mike." She grips his arm with both hands. "I didn't mean to make her angry."

"I know love."

She looks up at him, "It's just that I love you so much and I see you so seldom. She has you all the time."

Mike chuckles, "My wife doesn't allow that, love."

"I know but they share you all the time. I only have you when you take me with you on these trips."

"You have Marv. Aren't you still planning to marry him?"

She smiles, "Yes, in June. A June wedding, isn't that nice?" Mike nods. "I think it's romantic. Everyone raves about a June wedding."

Mike broods over what she says. "It won't be long until you have the baby in February. I'll miss you then."

"No you won't! The baby will go with us. I have it all figured out, my prince." Mike shakes his head. She goes on, "Why not? I'll look after it. It's my baby and I'll do as I want!"

"It's Marv's baby too, love."

"Maybe or maybe not. It could be ours."

Mike grins, "If you have it in December it might be."

She brushes one hand on his cheek, "I want the next one to be yours." She wiggles and asks, "Can you hold the can for me again? It's a lot easier than trying to bend down that far."

Mike helps her to pee. She sighs, "You're so patient with me. It's no wonder I love you so much, my prince."

Mike looks uncomfortable. "Love, I think you've gotten your wish. It's hard for me to admit because I already have so much on my plate but I do love you, too."

She beams a dazzling smile with her eyes, lips and dimples. Blushing red she murmurs, "I know you do." She grips his arm and looks up into his eyes, "That's why you're my 'mister'."

Mike doesn't know what to say. She has always said if he could have a mistress she wanted him for her 'mister'. He glances at the sparkling diamond on her hand and tries to remember she is engaged to someone else. It doesn't matter as long as she is here now with him. "Can you handle it? I mean having two men in your life?"

"I've learned a lot from you. I have room in my heart for both of you."

"What if Marv doesn't like it? We have to tell him, you know. And before you get married, too."

"I know. I'll tell him. It's my decision."

"Don't leave it then, it wouldn't be fair to him."

"Do we have to tell your wife?"

"I suppose one day we do."

"I'm surprised Trudy hasn't told her. She seems to know everything about me. She called me a Kurdish whore, by the way."

"Trudy has never mentioned any of my ladies to her or at least none that she didn't know already. It's like she feels protective of her, like sisters."

"Maybe you can convince them you have another sister for them."

Mike grins, "I'll think on that. Let's go for supper."

"Okay." She starts getting dressed up warmly.

* + *

Far away in the valley Carmine is finishing supper and watching his watch. Cindy asks, "Will you be home before midnight?" She looks at the boys and says, "We never have time to ourselves any more."

"A man has to do what he has to do. Don't wait up." He clears his dishes back and nurses his coffee. "I better get going."

She waits for a kiss but he goes out to the car and leaves. She watches the boys and cries inside. She wishes things were different. She also feels resentment towards this man who has not lived up to his promises. She's sure he's seeing another woman again. She plans how to catch him and swears under her breath she will get even this time if he is.

Carmine drives quickly through Abbotsford watching the time. He follows Old Clayburn Road up to the new condos on the side of the mountain and pulls into visitor parking. He locks up the car and goes to ring Monica's unit. She answers the door quickly and whisks him inside.

"You're early! My fucking ex just left. Do you want to get killed? If he sees you, he'll pound your fucking head in."

"Don't give me static, woman. You're lucky I got here at all. I only have a short while tonight."

She whines, "Why? I want you all to myself one night."

"Get your clothes off, for Christ's sake!"

"Carmine? What have I done? I wait just for you and you treat me like a whore."

He walks to the door, "You gonna bitch or fuck?"

She runs to him and presses her attractive body to his. "Come on, baby. Don't leave now. I want to fuck right away. Feel this!" She draws his hand under her sheath and works her hips slathering his fingers with her juices. "Come on, Baby."

Carmine grins, "That's better, Money baby." He takes her in his arms and backs her to the table. He kisses her as he lifts her skirt and opens his fly. Pushing her back and spreading her legs with a knee he plunges into her.

She falls back on the table crying out, "Oh baby, yes! Fuck me hard, baby!" She tries to get her shapely legs around him but he pumps harder in her so she holds her legs out straight. She wiggles and pushes back to him squealing encouragements.