No More Swedish Meatballs

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Time passed and before they knew it another presidential election was upon them. TV and radio changed the face of politics. Politicians became much more visible. They could be held to account for what they said because their words were spread all over the nation in the blink of an eye. Suddenly double dealing and words spoken with forked tongues were out in the open.

Kristen was born in August, 1955. Evelyn was much more active and happy during the third pregnancy. She actually came out of the pregnancy slimmer than before she went in. She felt great and had a lot of energy.

Karl on the other hand felt like he was being ground down inch by inch. There was the job, day after day. Karl was very talented but didn’t know how to stand up for himself so he kept getting all of the tough jobs but little credit or acclaim. There were rumors going around the company was planning to transfer some engineers to Dayton. Karl felt like there was a hatchet over his head while he was at work. He did some fast maneuvering and got himself transferred to a different plant on the other side of the valley. He avoided the Dayton bombshell but ended up with a boss he despised.

After the transfer scare Karl had to do more fancy footwork to get reassigned to his old project. Somewhere in the shuffle he missed a promotion. The money wasn’t getting much better and with three kids now Karl was determined to buy a house.

They needed a bigger house. But no matter how they scrimped and saved they barely broke even at the end of each pay period. If only I had a down payment. I know I could swing a mortgage. But who’d sell me a house without a down payment? The answer seemed to fall from the sky. Evelyn’s mother, Lavinia, who Evelyn hadn’t seen in years suddenly decided to meet her new grand children. She called one day out of the blue and announce she was coming for a visit.

Evelyn was aghast. She’d pretty much burned her bridges with her parents. She stayed in touch with her brother. That’s how Lavinia tracked her down in Paoli. Evelyn didn’t not want her mother’s interference, but at least her father wasn’t coming. That would have been a true disaster.

Evelyn got drunk the night Lavinia called. She told Karl about the rift between her and her parents. Karl thought it was pretty lame. Compared to his childhood, Evelyn’s sounded like a fairy tale. Maybe they could lend us the money for a down payment. Karl was excited by the idea. He even had the house picked out. It was on the same street so the move wouldn’t cost much. Hell, he and Jim could do it in a day. It wouldn’t cost anything. He was so excited by the idea he blurted it out to Evelyn.

“Don’t you dare ask my parents for money,” Evelyn stormed. “How could you even think of such a thing? I swear I’ll divorce you if you even hint to mom that we need money.”

“Divorce me and do what?” Karl asked meanly. “Move in with your parents?”

That’s when Evelyn’s financial dependence on Karl hit home. She hadn’t thought much about it before. Things were just the way they were supposed to be. The man earned the bread and the woman fed the brats. She had never thought about what might happen to her and the children if Karl ever decided to leave. Evelyn felt a cold stab of fear. God, he could take off and we’d be left with nothing. How the hell did I get into this? But to ask my parents for money after all I did to become independent is too damned humiliating. I just traded one dependency for another. She was furious.

“I hate you,” she cried in frustration.

“I don’t care.” Karl said. “I’m going to ask. All they can do is say no. If they say yes we’ll finally have some real security. You may want to live by the graces of a landlord for the rest of your life. I don’t and I don’t want my kids to know that kind of insecurity. Your childhood was a day in the park compared to mine. You’re too damn stupid to know how good you had it. You had a stable home and family. We were evicted three times when I was a kid. I won’t put my children at risk like that. You’re just gonna have to swallow your pride and loosen that stiff neck of yours. And if you get drunk when your mother’s here I’ll make your life miserable after she leaves.”

“Go to hell. You walk around here like a martyr. Poor perfect Saint Karl. So good and everything bad happens all around you.”

“You’re drunk,” Karl retorted. “Go to bed. You talk like an idiot when you’re like this.”

“I will go to bed and you can sleep in the fucking dog house.”

“No thank you. You have fleas. I’ll be happier on the couch.”

“Bastard.” Evelyn stormed up the stairs. She didn’t notice four year old Ned staring at her with big frightened eyes as she passed him in the hallway.

“Dad.” Ned said in a small voice. “Do you and mom hate each other?”

Karl hurried to pick up his son. “No Ned. Mom and I just get mad at each other sometimes. It’s an adult thing. Everything’s all right. Let’s get you back to bed.”

“Tell me a story.”

“Okay. So he told his old stand by Swedish tale. He spoke softly and listened for the sound of his son’s breathing to slow into sleep. He picked himself up tiredly. Put the coffee on for the morning, grabbed a blanket from the linen closet and went to sleep alone on the couch.

Lavinia was due to arrive in Paoli the night before Thanksgiving. Evelyn refused to take part of the preparations. On Wednesday Karl took a highly valued vacation day and went to the market with Ned and Elizabeth in tow. Elizabeth was two and a half and Karl was four. It was a blustery November day. Fallen leaves spread their colors all over the streets and the parking lot. The whole town smelled of burning leaves. Ned and Elizabeth scampered and played as they walked through the lot to the big, new supermarket. Paoli was growing by leaps and bounds as new technology firms discovered cheap, highly desirable land in the Great Valley. The shopping center had sprung up over night.

They started shopping early so they breezed through the aisles unhindered by other shoppers. Elizabeth rode in the cart and Ned tagged along behind his dad. Ned loved having time with his daddy, even if stinky Elizabeth had to come with them.

After shopping Karl spent most of the day with the two toddlers. It was a treat to be free on a work day to play like a kid. Evelyn was inside acting like a witch. Kristen was fussy. She seemed to sense she was being left out of something. She was a sensitive little thing even in her first month.

Dinner was a typical meal for parents of young children. Baby food everywhere and sloppy Joes with a green salad for the parents, with bites taken between “here comes the airplane,” and “be a good girl, eat some carrots.”

After dinner Karl went off to pick Lavinia up at the train station in Philadelphia. Evelyn refused to go and wouldn’t allow any of the children to ride in with Karl. Karl was furious but kept his mouth shut.

Evelyn had picked up a bottle of vodka while shopping early in the week. She hid it in her sewing basket. She had a couple shots while Karl was picking up Lavinia. She brushed her teeth and put on one of the dresses her mother had not made for her. Bright red lipstick. Eye makeup, powder. Make up infuriated Lavinia.

She dressed Ned in his cowboy suit and Elizabeth in her Sunday best. She made sure Kristen was clean and sweet smelling in her basinet and sat down to read the toddlers some stories while they waited to meet their Grandma. She’d never mentioned a grandma to the kids before today. They were happy and excited. Evelyn’s pumps were well primed. She felt she was ready. She could handle it.

Karl stood in the station lobby feeling foolish, not knowing how to identify his mother in law. It was a good thing Lavinia had a picture of Karl. Lavinia looked nothing like Evelyn.

“You’re much better looking than your picture,” came from the mouth of the frumpy grandmotherly looking woman who walked up to him toting a large suitcase. She looked a bit worse for wear. Karl smiled at her,

“You must be Evelyn’s mother. I’m happy to meet you Mrs…. “

“Call me mom.” She leaned up to have her cheek kissed. Karl complied.

“Mom it is,” Karl said as he picked up her suitcase. This isn’t the fire breathing dragon I expected. “I hope your train ride wasn’t too tiresome. It’s about an hour’s drive to Paoli. You can rest in the car. Or if there’s anything you need here in Philly….”

“No. I’m anxious to see my grandchildren. And Evelyn of course.” Karl began to see part of the problem between the two women. He didn’t care for the dismissive way Lavinia spoke of Evelyn. Maybe I can get a better handle on Evelyn if I study her mother he thought. They chatted as they strode quickly through the train station

He opened the door of the old Grey Dodge.

“Evelyn’s doing great. She’s wonderful with the kids. I don’t know how she does it day in and day out with three kids in diapers.

“My what an interesting car,” Lavinia said as she arranged herself. “Chilly this time of year.” She drew her coat more tightly around herself. “I hope it has heat.”

“It has heat. And breaks. Runs out of gas from time to time if I’m not careful,” he said, trying for a laugh or a smile.

“I’m sure you have plenty of gas tonight.”

“Yes. I do. The heater’s working fine. There’ll be a lot of hot air in here tonight.”

Karl’s barb went right over Lavinia’s head. Yes, I think I understand Evelyn a bit better already. I wouldn’t blame her if she got a little tipsy waiting to greet the dragon lady. Actually, she’s more like a goblin.
I’ll point that out to Evelyn. She’ll get a kick out of it.

Karl kept his mouth shut during the drive to Paoli. Lavinia tried to start a conversation. Karl said he didn’t like to talk while he drove. He said had to listen for sounds of mechanical failure, which was a lie. Old Betsy was the soundest car on the street. Karl loved to get inside Betsy’s hood and tinker. Karl was a closet car nut.

Lavinia sat straight as a board during the whole trip with her head cocked to the side, listening to every rattle, clank and ping, sure they were going to be stuck by the side of the road. Karl chuckled to himself.

It was eight o’clock by the time they got home. Evelyn was sitting demurely on the couch with the two toddlers, reading from The Brother’s Grimm. She was pretending to be a wicked witch when Karl and Lavinia walked in the door. Karl could tell by the flush on Evelyn’s face she’d found a way to get tipsy. But she was in control and the kids were having a rare fine time with mommy. Karl was proud of Evelyn at that moment. When Evelyn looked up at Karl and saw his happy amused approval something hard inside her melted. She gave him such a warm, loving smile that Lavinia almost dropped her purse. Karl strode over and gave Evelyn the kind of kiss she’d been missing for so long. Then the kids started jumping on them both. Kids see everything. When a magical moment happens they are so in on it it’s incredible. There was more joy in that house that moment than there’d been in the last year.

And next month’s Christmas Karl whispered in Evelyn’s ear. They almost forgot about Lavinia.

“Well, isn’t anyone going to say hello to grandma?” Lavinia asked archly.

The kids had been primed and ready to meet their grandmother. They were a little hesitant at first. Then Ned, big little man that he was strode over and solemnly shook her hand. Elizabeth didn’t want to be upstaged by Ned so she dropped her shy act and made a run for Lavinia‘s arms.

“That’s much better,” Lavinia laughed. Who might you be young man?”

“I’m Ned and I’m four. I’m going to school next year.”

“Oh, I see. So you’re all grown up are you?”

“Yes,” he said smugly.”

“I’m Lizbet, and I’m almost three.”

“No you’re not, you’re only two, baby,” Ned interrupted.

“Am so.”

Lavinia had had enough of the baby scene for the time being. “Evelyn, dear, you look so well. No one would think to look at you that you had three children right in a row. She walked the distance between them. Evelyn seemed suspended in time, unable to move. Lavinia gave Evelyn a big hug. Evelyn took it with something like good grace.

“Why don’t you two get the big kids into bed and take a peek at Kristen,” Karl suggested to the women. I’m going to whip up some snacks. And I think a high ball might be in order. What do you think darling?” Karl asked Evelyn.

“Oh no alcohol,” Lavinia interjected. Evelyn knows I don’t approve of alcohol.”

“Well, that’s okay for you. Evelyn you’d like one, wouldn’t you? I’ll make two,” he said as he ushered them upstairs. Then he put together some deli snacks and mixed a couple of stiff whiskey sours. He knew he’d suffer sorely in the morning. But it was worth it to put the nasty bitch in her place.

He set up snack trays in the living room while Evelyn and Lavinia settled the children. Lavinia was duly impressed by the beauty of infant Kristen, or so she said. The adults sat down to socialize. Evelyn sipped her drink slowly under Lavinia’s disapproving eye, chain smoking all the while. Karl sat back and tried to relax.

“This is a quaint little house you have. You’ve made it quite cozy, Evelyn.”

“I’m glad you like it,” Evelyn said in a poisonously sweet voice.

They chatted about Evelyn’s siblings and recent events in the Mennonite community. “Karl,” Lavinia said after they ran out of small talk about babies and dying relatives,” you must be doing well to have such a nice piece of property so early in your career,”

“We don’t own. We rent. I just can’t seem to get far enough ahead to put together a down payment.” The words just popped out of his mouth. He couldn’t help himself even knowing it would upset Evelyn.

Evelyn’s father owned several rental properties. Lavinia knew a bit about real estate. “How much would a house like this go for around here these days?”

“I’m not sure. Maybe twelve, thirteen thousand.”

Evelyn was starting to see red. She wanted to stop Karl but she couldn’t make a scene. Not in front of her mother.

“You wouldn’t need very much for a down payment. Only about twelve hundred. It can’t be that hard….”

“It might as well be twelve thousand,” Karl said with a sigh. “With three kids and the prices these days, it’s hard to set anything aside. I’m not complaining. But I’d like to have some security for the children. Then, when things improve I could set money aside for their college educations. It’s vital to have an education these days.”

“I see.” Lavinia narrowed her eyes. “You’re looking to the future. That’s smart. Evelyn, you’ve found yourself a bright man.”

“I’m so glad you approve mom.” Evelyn’s voice dripped with poison. She picked up her empty glass. “I think I’ll have another. Karl, can I make one for you?”

“That would be nice dear,” Karl replied gently.

Evelyn poured straight whisky into her glass. She made Karl’s killer strong, knowing he would suffer later. How dare he? she fumed. How dare he do this to me on the first night’s she’s here? And Mom’s loving every minute of it. Poor Evelyn. Her husband can’t even put together a paltry twelve hundred dollars for a down payment on a quaint little dump. That’s what she’s thinking. Evelyn slammed back half of the whiskey she’d poured and refilled the glass with shaking hands. She was murderously angry but she knew if she blew her top there would be hell to pay.

Karl and Lavinia continued their conversation while Evelyn was in the kitchen. “Well, I can’t speak for Pop, but I can’t see why we couldn’t lend you money for a down payment on a house. Would you buy this one?”

“No,” Karl said, thrilled right down to his toes. The whiskey was helping his mood. Maybe she’s not such a dragon after all. “There’s a really nice one, similar to this, for sale just up the hill. It’s been on the market for a while. I’ve even walked through it.”

“Could I see it while I’m here?”

Evelyn had been eaves dropping. She’d polished off another whisky and was reeling drunk. But she maintained control. She slammed Karl’s drink down on his tray and snarled “you two are so cozy, making your plan. I think I’ve had enough for the night. I’ll leave you to it.” She tried to saunter, but staggered a little on her way up the stairs.

Karl put on a brave face. “Good night sweetheart,” he said, then turned to Lavinia, “She’s not used to strong liquor. I shouldn’t have made the drinks.”

“That was disgraceful,” Lavinia said.

“Evelyn was very nervous about your visit. She hasn’t seen you in a long time. There’s no harm in getting a little light headed once in a while.”

“She wasn’t light headed, she was stone drunk. I smelled liquor on her when I hugged her. She was drinking before we got home.”

“That’s not true,” Karl said tightly.

“Do you let her take care of those children when she’s been drinking?” Lavinia snapped.

“Evelyn doesn’t drink often. That’s why she was so high tonight. If you can’t take my word for that
I don’t know if we have anything more to talk about.”

“You’d risk those children.”

“There’s no problem,” Karl insisted.

“Well, it’s on your head. I’m tired. Do you have a place for me to sleep or should I find a way back to the train station.”

“Don’t be ridiculous,” Karl said trying to smooth things over. “The kids are all excited about spending Thanksgiving with you. I’ll take you and the kids to see the house on Saturday, if that’s still a possibility that is.

Lavinia smiled. “I can’t blame you for being loyal. I’d love to see the house. Evelyn’s still angry that Pop wouldn’t pay for her college. I’ve never known anyone to hold a grudge like Evelyn. She was always angry growing up. I don’t know what’s wrong with her.”

“There’s nothing wrong with her,” Karl said, loyal to the end. “You saw how good she is with the kids. But she needs to get out of the house more. She’d be happier if she more to occupy her mind. Maybe we should start looking into nursery schools.”

“That might be a good idea. Can I see where I’m going to sleep?”

“Sure.”

After he got Lavinia settled he went back downstairs to clean up the kitchen. He was appalled when he saw how much of the whiskey was gone. Oh Lord, Evelyn’s going to be sick in the morning. I’m gonna have to do the cooking. I may as well make the stuffing now.

He got his drink from the living room. Just for the hell of it he poured it into the turkey stuffing. Then he did as much of the food preparation as he could in advance. He wasn’t ready to brave the bedroom.

Evelyn was waiting up for him when he finally went to bed. But she wasn’t angry or even particularly drunk. She was hot, sexy and sultry. She seduced him like she used to in the early days of their marriage. She got a kick out of thinking about her mother listening to the creaking and thumping on the other side of the wall. Karl was fully aroused and their sex was unusually satisfying.

The next day Evelyn simmered and stewed while she nursed a hangover. Karl ignored her temper and kept the whiskey out of sight. He spent most of the day in the kitchen. “Grandma” spent most of the day with the two toddlers. At dinner the adults were rather formal and the conversation was stilted. They didn’t have wine with the meal.

Thank God for the children Karl thought as dinner dragged on. Ned and Elizabeth had a fine time gobbling up Thanksgiving goodies. They were ridiculously cute and made a tremendous mess with their food. They were at an age when they knew the day was special but didn’t know why. They were the center of attention and made the most of it.

As the evening wore on Evelyn’s headache got worse and worse. She had nothing much to say to either Karl or Lavinia.

“What the hell’s wrong with you,” Karl said in a cold, quiet voice when they were getting ready for bed. “Can’t you even try to be civil to your mother? She came all this way to see us and you can’t even look her in the face.”

1...345678