Oh Fuck!

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

When they got back to Spring Street, Ben left Sarah to check around the house and ensure that all the windows were shut whilst he put all the remaining boxes in the car. Sarah finished her inspection and said all was secure and there was nothing left but spiders. He suggested she turned off the gas, electric and water before leaving. "I'll go and get the car ready whilst you lock up."

"No I don't want anything more to do with the house," she said walking out of the front door, "please lock the front door and put the key through the letter box, Ben. I want to walk away and not look back."

He understood and shortly joined Sarah in the car. She was a bit tense, but as soon as they drove away, she gave a sigh, which Ben took to be relief of closure, and started to chat about her hopes for the future.

They got back to the flat in no time at all. The boxes were heavy so Ben ferried them upstairs whilst Sarah checked the contents. They got them stored away in double-quick time. The two that wouldn't go on top of the wardrobe or in 'Sarah's' room they managed to secrete behind the TV.

By the time they'd got everything into its place it was half-past five and they were both ready for some nourishment. By way of thanks for what he'd done Sarah offered to treat them both to a slap-up meal with the money she'd saved by not staying at the Travelodge. Ben persuaded her she could make better use of the money and that it would be easier to get something from the Chinese takeaway around the corner. She relented provided Ben would call at the off-licence for a couple of bottles of good wine.

Ben left Sarah to settle in and find her way around whilst he went off. He still felt in need of some space whilst he thought through how the future might pan out and the walk was the start of this process. Ben had to think of something to occupy them tomorrow. The thought of spending all day on Sunday trying to make conversation punctuated by embarrassed silence and Sarah's gratitude was too much to bear. On the way back from the takeaway, he'd hatched the idea of telling Sarah that he'd forgotten to mention a prearranged day out with the lads and that he'd be out most of the day.

When Ben got back in, Sarah had already set out two plates and wine glasses.

"I didn't set out any cutlery with it being Chinese. Depending what you've got I didn't know whether we'd be using our fingers. I'm no good with chop-sticks!"

"I don't know, I got you a number 14 and me a number 6, what d'you think?"

"Very funny, what are they?"

"Mine's a sweet and sour pork and yours is a chicken chow mein."

"I'll get some forks."

Sarah served the food onto the plates whilst Ben opened the wine and offered her a taste. It met with her approval so he poured two glasses and they sat down to eat at the settee. After the second glass of wine, Ben thought he'd broach the subject of his 'day out with the lads'.

"Sarah, the past few days have been so hectic, I forgot to mention that I would be out most of tomorrow. Ages ago I arranged a day out with a bunch of guys from the office. I hope you won't mind being left on your own in the flat."

"Oh, no...of course...no, I'll find plenty to occupy myself, what are you doing?" she said putting me on the spot.

He took another mouthful to give himself time to think.

"Mmm," he responded gesturing to his mouth with the fork. Ben made a great show of chewing and swallowing.

"We're off hill-walking, hope to do about 20 miles if the weather holds."

The deception seemed to go well. They continued chatting in between mouthfuls of food.

"You didn't give any hint that you were an energetic type. You seemed to get a bit breathless carting all my boxes around."

"Ah, that's a different sort of exercise you see. Walking uses the legs, but all that carrying...well it taxes the upper body and arms. You don't get strong arms from hill walking," he said hoping the bluff sounded plausible.

"Yes, I suppose..."

"And if you want to watch any of my DVDs they're under the TV, mainly action stuff and sport I'm afraid. Of course, if yours are handy, you could watch some of those. You're welcome to try my CDs too if you want."

"I'm sure I'll find something to do. I think I ought to go for a stroll around the area to find out where things are...I assume that there are shops nearby?"

"And a takeaway, and a laundrette. They're all just a short walk away, down the alley at the side of the flat and turn left at the end!"

"Plenty to do then!"

"Before I forget, let me give you the spare key to the flat. You'll be able to come and go as you please."

After they'd finished eating, Ben went though his DVDs and Sarah pulled out a couple that seemed interesting. She was more interested in his eclectic music collection.

"Very varied, Led Zeppelin, someone called Son House, who's Manfred Mann? Abba, The Eagles, Joan Baez, Glenn Miller, Poco, Woody Guthrie, Van Morrison...I haven't heard of half of them. I'll try some random samples tomorrow."

The dirty dishes were washed and dried and they settled back to finish the wine. By 10.30 they'd talked themselves out and Ben suggested that as he had an early start tomorrow it might be a good time for him to go to bed.

"Perhaps I will as well, Ben. It's been a roller-coaster day and with the wine I'm flagging too."

"I hope you sleep well. It sometimes takes a while to settle in a different bed. I'll try not to wake you when I get up in the morning. I should be back by about seven, but it depends on the walking and the traffic."

"Have a nice day out," Sarah appeared as though she was going to give Ben another peck on the cheek but changed her mind at the last moment.

Ben used the bathroom first and then undressed for bed, mentally noting not to walk around naked as he usually did. He heard Sarah come out of the bathroom and close the spare room door, just before he fell asleep.

Sunday morning greeted Ben just after seven when the radio alarm clock went off. He didn't normally get up this early, but hill-walkers don't set off at lunchtime and he wanted to make the day out appear honest to Sarah. He hadn't planned what he was going to do other than go out for the day. Ben didn't want to disturb Sarah and risk getting sidetracked from the aim of a day on his own. Trying hard to make as little noise as possible, Ben washed and dressed.

For breakfast he settled on coffee and a bowl of cereals on the basis that it would be quick, easy and not very messy. He intended grab a burger somewhere to top himself up. He'd already gathered a few things in a rucksack to sling in the car. Ben still had a quandary, just what was he going to do and where was he going to go?

Ben was just about to leave the flat when Sarah appeared at the door to the spare room.

"I'm sorry," he said, "I tried not to disturb you."

"You didn't, I was just going to the bathroom," she said sleepily, adding, "You didn't say where you were going."

"Oh, Malvern," saying the first thing that came into his head. He'd heard of the Malvern Hills.

"That's nice, see you later then."

"See you sometime after seven."

For once, opening his mouth without thinking had given Ben an idea. Malvern was some sixty miles away. He went there on a school trip years ago. It would take just over an hour to get there, longer with a stop for a coffee and something else to eat. There was bound to be a café at some services on the way. Ben could even pick up some leaflets and postcards to back up his story. It was fortunate that Ben hadn't said 'the Pennines' when Sarah put him on the spot.

Ben set off just after half-past-eight and after a casual drive with a refreshment stop, parked in Malvern just after 10 o'clock. he had to plan his lie to make it convincing so a walk round the town was necessary to pick up a few ideas. Ben found an Italian restaurant where he would have his lunch and shortly afterwards saw a newsagent's shop where he picked up a copy of the local paper, several leaflets, a guidebook and a handful of postcards with views of the scenery. Ben decided that he'd "forgotten" his camera, so he didn't get any pictures, but the cards would give an idea of what he should have seen. That way, hopefully Sarah would swallow the story.

It was a pleasantly warm day so the stroll round the backstreets admiring the big houses, expensive cars and tidy gardens was a reasonable way of killing some time. After an hour or so, Ben decided it was time for a sit down and a drink. He found a quiet café and ordered a coffee and croissant with jam.

Whilst he waited, Ben discovered that there was a walking tour of the town at two-thirty from the Tourist Information Centre which would occupy him for an hour-and-a-half. He made a note of several other possible time-wasters. It was just after twelve when Ben walked out into the sunlight. If he managed to get a table at the restaurant at about one-fifteen, hopefully he should be through in time for half-past-two to walk it off. Ben had an hour to wander round the shops, not one for window shopping, but it filled the time and there were one or two different shops to look in. One, unsurprisingly, was selling walking gear so Ben went in and learned some more snippets of information to embellish the story...if he could remember them all!

He headed in the direction of the restaurant and found a table. It was quite busy but the service was prompt so the ham and tomato pizza didn't take long to arrive. Ben took his time over lunch and by the time he'd finished the glass of wine he'd ordered and settled the bill, there was a comfortable 15 minutes to get to the Tourist Information Centre.

The walk started a few minutes late because people were still turning up when the walk was due to begin. It was an easy stroll punctuated by stops where the guide told them about this or that building, event or famous resident of the town. Ben followed it all in the guidebook making notes in the margin as they progressed.

When the walk finished, Ben found a pub and bought a pint of lager. Finding an empty table, Ben sat down to perfect his story:

We'd gone into the hills above the town, but hadn't got far one when of my mates tripped and hurt his ankle. We helped him back down and found a café where we could sit and assess the damage. Nothing serious, but we couldn't carry on with the walk, so we found a pub and spent several hours there. I decided to go on the town walk with several of the other guys leaving the injured party and another mate to keep our seats warm. We then had a meal at the pub before coming home. The lads had wanted another pub stop on the way, but as I was driving, I couldn't drink any more, so I came back in my car with two others who had had enough of drinking. I'd forgotten my camera and so I'd picked up the leaflets and postcards to remind me of what I should have seen if not for the injured party...SORTED!

Once Ben finished his alibi and the drink it was past five in the afternoon and being Sunday, everywhere was closed, so time he was thinking about heading home. Ben resolved to get back just before eight, having had dinner out to save worrying about cooking. Sarah would have to fend for herself.

There was a nice country pub-cum-restaurant that Ben had taken Melanie to once and he recalled they did a nice range of evening meals. He parked outside 'The Kings Arms' about an hour after leaving Malvern. There were a few couples and a family sitting in the restaurant section. He opted for a bar meal which meant he could have a comfortable armchair in the corner. Ben pulled out the leaflets and rehearsed the story again. It sounded so plausible he almost believed it himself.

Reflecting on the unplanned day out, Ben had quite enjoyed it. Malvern was a nice place to visit and from the guide book it seemed that it might have been nice to go into the hills. If not, there was certainly at lot else to enjoy. He restricted himself to just a half of lager which was finished by the time the steak pie and chips arrived...after a longer wait than he anticipated, but it was worth it.

As Ben ate, his thoughts wandered to Sarah...how had she spent the day? Was she alright? He'd half expected a call from her about some problem or other and was sort of concerned that she hadn't.

By seven-thirty, it was time to head back home. Ben reckoned his story was sound and was all set to face Sarah. The drive took less than thirty minutes. He walked through the door feigning exhaustion, and found Sarah sitting on the settee watching a DVD.

"Hi Sarah, how's your day been?" he said noting that she was wearing a figure-hugging top and a tight-fitting pair of jeans. There was also a hint of that perfume he remembered from earlier in the week.

"Hi Ben, not bad thanks, I went to the shops, picked up a paper to kick-start my search for a bed-sit, sorted out my clothes, had a shower, played some of your CDs -- Poco is nice, but Son House is a bit weird..."

"It's called blues," he interjected.

"...and after I rustled up tea I put on this DVD. How was your walk?"

"It didn't go quite to plan," Ben explained before launching into the story he'd concocted.

"Oh that's a pity, how's the injured chap?"

"I expect he'll be back at work tomorrow, just a swollen ankle; night's rest will put it right."

"I'm so pleased it wasn't you, Ben."

"So am I; what film is this, I don't remember it?"

"It's called 'Kissing Jessica Stein', it's one of mine."

"Oh, it seems a bit 'girly', what's the plot?"

"It is 'girly', as you put it...basically girl not having much success with men, and finds she prefers women."

"Oh lesbian stuff, you're not are you? Why are you watching that?"

"NO I'm NOT, Ben, anyway, she's bisexual and it's a nice tender story and it reminds me that some people are loving and tender to women, even if they're women too. After the time I had its reassuring."

"Sorry, I was trying to be witty; I know that you've had a bad time. No all of us are complete bastards you know."

"Ben, you're the last person I'd describe that way. You're very kind to me," Sarah responded with a reassuring hand on his arm.

"I'm just about to make a hot drink, d'you want one?

"I'll have the same as you."

Sarah followed Ben into the kitchen and stood watching as he made two coffees,

"Sugar?" he said gesturing to the container on the worktop.

"No, I don't thanks."

"Sweet enough?"

"Mm, I have my moments!"

They went back to the lounge for Sarah to continue watching the DVD,

"You don't mind do you? I love this film."

"No carry on, I might learn something!" he said joining her, but sitting at the other end of the settee.

As they sat Sarah told him that she had been watching the film for quite some time and it wasn't long till the end. After ten minutes or so, he heard Sarah gently sobbing. Discretely glancing towards her Ben saw she had tears rolling down her cheeks. He pulled out a handkerchief and slid it across the settee in her direction. She had sensed what he was doing and her right hand came to take it. As she picked it up Ben put his hand onto hers and squeezed. She looked at him still sobbing and smiled before wiping her eyes,

"Thank you."

Ben moved across and put his arm around her shoulder and squeezed her reassuringly.

"He wouldn't have done that," she said adding "He would have just said, 'Grow up you silly fucking bitch' and turned away in disgust."

"I'm glad I'm not like that."

"So am I, I mean about you." Sarah clarified.

The DVD ended and Sarah reclaimed it as they chatted about her plans for Monday. She was going to go through the paper for houses and flats to share and bed-sits vacant to see what was available and try her luck.

"Why didn't you leave him?" Ben asked gently.

"I suppose I always thought...hoped he'd change...there was always talk of a pay rise, a promotion or moving to a better employer and with it would come a better life, a better house; he won the lottery once, it was only a couple of thousand, but he said our luck had changed and promised we'd go on holiday abroad...but we never did. It all went on gambling or paying off his gambling debts."

"The future will be better," Ben rashly promised.

It was almost 10.30 and Ben was quite tired from the 'hill walking' day, so he suggested they ought to got to bed,

"Separately, of course."

"Of course!" Sarah agreed.

She stood up on her tip toes, stretched and arched her back in a way that nicely emphasised her breasts against the tight top she was wearing.

"I'll do the washing up and get my things ready for the morning, while you use the bathroom," She said, disappearing in the direction of the kitchen.

A few minutes later, after Ben had washed and shaved, Sarah was still working in the kitchen. "Goodnight Sarah."

"Hang on, you deserve this," she said popping a chocolate truffle into his mouth, "despite having a tiring day which didn't go to plan, you still made me feel important tonight," kissing his cheek before turning to finish drying up.

"I'll have to brush my teeth again now!" he joked, trying to avoid spitting chocolate in Sarah's direction on her way back to the bathroom.

Ben heard Sarah click off the kitchen light and head to the spare room. He turned off the bathroom light and went to his room. Closing the door behind him, he undressed and got into bed. It was a warm night, about par for late August and he'd donned just a t-shirt to keep his shoulders warm. Although he was tired from the excursion to Malvern, Ben was also quite restless. He still hadn't adjusted to sharing the flat and hearing another person walking around when he was trying to sleep.

Eventually, Ben gave up and flicked through the Malvern guide book. It was quite a nice place. He must go there again he decided. After half-an-hour Sarah had settled down and the flat was quiet. Ben put the book down and started to drift off.

It seemed that almost as soon as Ben was asleep, it was time to get up again. Before he knew it he was getting washed and dressed and having breakfast, followed by a swift car journey to the office.

When Ben walked through the door, he was amazed at the change around that had been achieved over the weekend. Ben didn't recall it being mentioned. His desk had been moved into the middle of the open-plan office he shared with eleven colleagues.

"Morning Ben, you can't hide away in the corner now!" said Jenny the receptionist over the top of her glasses.

"As if!"

"Good weekend Ben?

"Very good indeed Mr Hardwick, and you?"

"Oh, yes!" he stressed, "beat the brother-in-law at golf, can't top that!"

Ben walked to the coffee machine and got a drink. He looked around to take the situation in. Now everyone would be walking past his desk. The coffee machine was in one corner, the photocopier and fax in another, the printer in a third and reception in the other. At some point in the day, everyone used each of these locations at least once! It was going to be harder to concentrate than ever now.

For the first half-hour was impossible to get any work done, as people drifted into the office greeting each other and especially him on their way in.

"Well you are the centre of things, Ben," was Harry's quip and the first of a number at Ben's expense.

Ben eventually settled down into a routine and gradually got used to the new location. Being philosophical he decided that it was probably better as he could only see half of the office here, but in the corner position by the printer, he had previously been able to see the complete room, allowing himself to get distracted by all the goings-on.

There was a steady flow of colleagues appearing in front of Ben as usual with various requests, "Can you read through this for the meeting later?"

"I'd appreciate your views on this."