One Whore's Town Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Betty had an image flash through her mind of the redheaded prostitute being unceremoniously hurled into a roughly dug pit, and bodies tossed in atop her. It made her skin crawl. "We'll bury them."

Corra's eyebrows lifted and he grunted in surprise. "I... I have no objection, but I do not understand?"

Betty sighed. "I suppose I could say it's because she would hate me giving her a proper burial — which I'm sure she would — but the truth is that too many whores end up dumped in a shallow hole or on a pyre like garbage. No matter what she's done..."

The General pursed his lips and nodded. "It will be so. If I may? I will hold the bodies until you have rested and the sun has risen. I will see that they are unmolested."

"Thank you," Betty said.

"Tell any of my men when you are ready. There are other matters of which we must speak, but such things can wait. I implore you — please rest."

"I'll try. You too."

"You are a rare woman," the General said, and smiled. He raised a hand to his brow and turned to mount his horse.

Betty looked up at Ghent. He nodded toward the stables. Feeling what little strength she had draining away, Betty nodded.

****

"You're sure?" Betty asked as she and Jan stood outside the kitchen door a little before midday.

"We have to eat," the blonde said as she opened the door.

The men were busy scrubbing at the bloodstains on the walls, and Janus was hard at work removing blood-soaked bricks from the floor in the front room. His idea was to replace those bricks with some from a corner of the workshop floor. He had already finished in the kitchen, and Betty was surprised by how well they blended in. Any stubborn stains on the walls could be solved by new plaster, and Janus believed he could make that blend in as well.

"I'll make something quick for now. We're all starving and some of us need to soak up the booze," Jan said as she opened the pantry door.

"If..." Betty sighed. "Hoss isn't nearly the cook you and Keri are, but if you need him to take over, just ask."

"I think I'll be okay. I enjoy cooking, and it will help keep my mind off things."

"If you need anything, just ask one of the boys," Betty said, and then stepped back outside.

Corra's soldiers still ringed the area, but Betty suspected they were unnecessary. She walked the brick path to the workshop, and noticed that none of the girls started when she opened the door, which was an improvement.

Ginny, Lilly, and Lana were all obviously nursing hangovers, but they had a little more color after a cup of coffee. Keri was blank-faced and seemed to be staring off into space, but she'd immediately jumped into action to make coffee when it was obvious everyone needed it.

Wynn and Shad had gone with Raven, but she knew Wynn's bow was still where he'd left it in the new rooms of the house. Abel and Pallah had plenty to do in the stable with several of the steeds for Corra's men inside.

Ginny rose from where she was sitting on a counter and approached. "Miss Betty, do you think you could have someone bring over Keri's things? I think if she was sewing, it might help."

"Of course," Betty answered.

Lana pushed away from the wall, put her cup down, and said, "I'll go. I need some air."

Betty nodded, opened the door for the blonde, and followed her outside.

"I'm fine," Lana said unprompted. She then broke out into a cherubic smile, waved, and giggled when one of the soldiers couldn't help but look at her.

Betty winced and said, "Am I turning into Alice?"

Lana held up a finger and thumb a short distance apart. "A little, but it's okay."

Betty followed as Lana sauntered toward the house. "Don't get them too worked up."

"Why not? I'd just as soon get back to work. It's better than sitting around with nothing to do but think. Not as if the faces they made were much different than ones I've seen a thousand times before."

That was very similar to the pep talk Alice had given everyone else after they were rescued from the kidnappers years ago. Of course, then they'd only witnessed the aftermath. Betty and Lana were both responsible for one of those death grimaces this time. Getting back into a regular routine had helped them cope, however.

"If you're up to it, I'm sure you could rustle up a soldier or two," Betty said.

"Lilly has been thinking it too. Ginny's still too worried about her sister, but if this works, she'll be ready to get back on her back. Not as if there's actually anything to worry about anymore."

The sound of hoofbeats caused Betty to look over her shoulder. She recognized the soldier who had said he would return when everything was ready for the burial.

Lana noticed as well. "Go on. I'll get Keri's things. I don't know how I feel about it, but I watched them toss an older whore in town into a shallow hole like a stray dog they'd found dead, so the thought of that makes me a little sick too."

The two women shared a look and a nod. Lana then continued to the house, and Betty walked back toward the workshop, where she'd left a couple of sheets to use as shrouds. Upon gathering up the sheets, she saw a carriage turning off the road.

The soldier reined in and answered her unspoken question. "General Corra sent the carriage for you. He thought it would be more comfortable than riding."

"He didn't have to go to the trouble of finding one," Betty said.

"We have one available against the possibility of dignitaries in need of proper transportation."

Betty scoffed and said, "I'm hardly a dignitary."

The soldier cracked a smile. "The General said you would say that. He said to tell you that you are far more noble and dignified than most who have occupied that carriage, and the reason for the journey only proves it. He awaits."

A rare blush darkened Betty's cheeks when the carriage driver hopped down, set out the steps, and offered his hand to steady her as she ascended. She said, "There's no need to make such a fuss."

"Practice," the man said, dropping the sophisticated facade he was putting on. "Couple of us are trained to dress up all fancy and act the fop when some muckity-muck is about."

A genuine smile curled her lips, and she demurely lifted her hand. "Well then, fuss away."

"Of course, milady," the soldier said, slipping back into his act as easily as he'd slipped out of it.

The seats were delightfully comfortable, and Betty was surprised by the smooth ride. The driver was obviously well trained, and the carriage well made. Corra had chosen a spot some distance down the road, and as they approached, Betty saw the General, a few of his soldiers, the tarp-covered wagon, and the freshly dug graves.

The grave-diggers had carefully cut and set aside the turf so it could be replaced after filling in the graves. If one didn't know where they were, they would be virtually indistinguishable from the surrounding field of grass almost immediately.

The tall grass rustled against the bottom of the carriage once it turned off the road. As it came to a stop, the General approached, but allowed the driver to go through his routine. Once Betty stood at the top of the steps, it was Corra who offered his hand instead of the driver. Betty took it and allowed him to steady her as she descended.

"He's quite good," Betty said, nodding toward the driver.

Corra said, "He has to be. It is a coveted duty — rare as it is. My apologies for not providing shrouds. My quartermaster is a purist when it comes to army regulation, and arguing with him gives me a headache."

"It's no trouble. For obvious reasons, we have a lot of extra sheets lying about all the time," Betty said as she handed over the bundle. She did her best to ignore the whiff of corrupt flesh in the air and the buzzing of flies around the wagon.

The General handed the sheets to one of his men, who then walked toward the wagon. Corra said, "You will be able to replace them shortly. While the coin and jewelry will require negotiation with the tax collector, and the house itself is in some dispute, its contents are available to you immediately."

Betty's brow furrowed and she asked, "What do you mean?"

At that moment, the soldiers removed the tarp from the wagon, and Betty glanced toward the movement without thought. She gasped and lifted a hand to her mouth when she saw what the tarp revealed.

The bodies were gnarled and twisted, with fingers curled into claws. Their visages were frozen in grimaces that spoke of abject terror and excruciating pain. Josephine's pale, nude body was marred by dark purple lines from the ropes that had bound her. The redheaded whore's dead eyes seemed to be fixed on Betty.

Corra quickly interposed himself between her and the grim sight, and took her hand. "As I said, they paid dearly for their crimes."

Betty shuddered, closed her eyes, and muttered, "Gods..."

The General slowly turned her so she was facing the carriage. "As to the matter of the house's contents, you are free to take whatever you may need or desire from within. Furniture to replace what was damaged, sheets to replace those you have offered as shrouds, and anything else that may be of use."

Betty let herself fall into the conversation in an attempt to purge what she'd just seen from her thoughts. "We are doing our best to restore Janus' house before we go. It's the least we can do after all the trouble we caused him."

"I suspect the miracle you have provided him greatly outweighs any damage to his property, but is no doubt appreciated. Once the substantial amount of coin and jewelry has been assessed, what remains will be divided equally between you and the widows of my fallen men."

Betty shook her head. "Give it all to them. It's my fault that they're widows."

"If that is your wish, it will be so, but do not blame yourself."

"Easier said than done."

"I underestimated the atrocity she was capable of unleashing. I allowed you to act as bait in a petty family rivalry," Corra said.

"You're not the first to try to take the blame, but none of this would have happened if I'd just stayed home."

"And in what straits would those you have taken into your house find themselves?" the General countered.

Betty shrugged, because it was hard to ignore that they were better off. Pallah would have continued to slave away in the inn's stable — denied his master's shingle. The three brothers, Lilly, and the redheaded sisters were certainly better off for having fallen in with her — at least before what had unfolded in the night.

"Do not let the darkness blind you to the good you have brought to them," the General said.

"Give the widows the coin," Betty said.

"It will be so. Whenever you choose, go to the house and select what is needed. I will see that it is delivered to you. You should keep your own men on hand, for your peace of mind. If you wish, I will have the driver take you there when we are finished here."

Betty thought about it for a moment. "May as well get it out of the way. We're tight on time..." She trailed off as she realized there was little hope of being ready to leave before the caravan arrived the next day. "Shit."

"As I said, my men will guard you on your journey, if and when you should choose to leave. A full patrol to the edge of my jurisdiction, and four volunteers who will continue on with you to your destination. You will be safe. Take your time putting affairs in order."

"Thanks."

"It is the least I can do."

One of the soldiers approached, raised his hand in a salute, and said, "Sir. Madame. All is ready."

As Corra turned, Betty saw the two bodies had been tightly wrapped in the sheets, and laid out on ropes to lower them into the graves they rested next to. With their faces shrouded and their limbs straightened, they looked almost at peace.

"Proceed," Corra ordered.

"Yes sir," he said, and saluted again. He then faced Betty, saluted, nodded, and turned smartly to march toward the graves.

Betty was puzzled by the salute, and her expression hadn't gone unnoticed. Corra quietly said, "It is not lost upon my men that many a soldier's fate is a shallow pit in foreign soil. The honor you do those who sought your death provides hope that should their time come, one such as you may provide them with an honorable burial. And they are not alone."

Betty's cheeks once again grew warm when Corra saluted her. He then turned and stood at attention as his men took up the ropes. The soldiers slowly lowered the bodies to their final resting places, pulled out the ropes, and took up shovels.

"Shall I have the driver take you to the house?" Corra asked as his soldiers covered the bodies with earth.

A thought occurred to her, and she said, "I should bring Janus. He should at least be able to choose what's going in his house."

"It will be so," Corra said.

The carriage driver bowed his head and said, "I am at your service, madame."

Betty had two hands assisting her as she ascended the steps.

****

I've been wondering how Josephine's fate would play ever since I wrote it. Time to find out. Unconventional, I know, but the whole story is unconventional.

Hope everyone is enjoying the story. The ending will be out in a few days. Please do take a moment to toss a coin in my hat with a vote. It's the feedback that inspires me to keep writing. Comments and favorites raise the profile of the story, so they're a two-fold blessing if you're so inclined to offer one.