Over Here

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

A senior officer arrived and asked the Negroes all to leave, which they did, grudgingly.

"That isso unfair," Katie said through gritted teeth, "They have just as much right to be here, why should they leave?"

"I don't think you understand, we don't mix with them. They are already arranging for them to go to a separate pub from the rest of us." Kevin tried to explain.

"This is ridiculous" Katie turned to Colette. "I have had enough, I am going home, are you coming?"

Colette looked at Nick. "I don't think so Katie, not yet." At her answer Nick grinned and slipped his arm around her.

Katie got up to leave.

"I'll walk you home." Kevin said as he too, got up. Katie was sensible enough to know not to turn down an escort home.

"OK, we can take a short cut over the field."

Outside the moon was nearly full, which was just as well because there were no lights due to the blackout. They stumbled their way around the edge of the field.

"We will be harvesting this field soon." Explained Katie, trying to make conversation. "That can be really hard work, the boss hopes that we will have some help from the Airbase this year."

"It must be difficult for a little thing like you to do this type of work, why do it?"

"It was either this or the munitions factory, and I didn't want to be stuck in a factory. It was hard work to start with, but I am getting used to it now. I am fitter and stronger than I have ever been."

"I can see that..." Kevin's eyes wandered over Katie's slender figure.

Katie tried to ignore the comment; she stumbled in the dark and Kevin caught hold of her hand, and as they continued, he didn't let go.

They emerged from the field and made their way down the High Street to her house.

"Do you live with your parents?" he asked.

"No, this was my husbands house."

"Your husband?"

"Yes, he inherited the house when his mother died, and I moved in here when we married last year."

"So he is fighting at the front?" Kevin's heart was sinking fast.

"My husband was killed in action a few months ago." Katie explained, "I am a widow."

Kevin tried not to look pleased. "I am sorry to hear that, were you married long?"

"We were married less than a year. He had to go back only three days after our wedding, I never saw him again. Well here we are, thank you for seeing me home, can you find you way back OK?"

"Sure honey, I'll be fine. I have had a great time Katie." He stepped forward as if to take her into his arms.

Katie stepped back and extended her right hand towards him.

"Thank you for teaching me to Jitterbug." She said politely.

Kevin took her hand, and instead of shaking it he pressed it to his lips.

"It was my pleasure darlin'." He said in that southern drawl of his. "Maybe we can go dancing again?"

Katie smiled, and blushed; she let herself into her house. Leaning back against the closed front door, she listened to his footsteps as he walked away.

Chapter Three

It was a busy week on the farm; the girls were working really long hours. Harvest was approaching and there was a lot to do.

Sometimes when Katie got home at night she was so tired, she cried. She would let her Scottie dog, Hamish, free in the field out the back for a good run, and then call him in for dinner.

Katie and Colette didn't even have the energy to go down the pub for a drink. Instead they would spend a quiet evening at Katie's house.

Colette was restless, she hadn't seen Nick lately and she was missing him.

"Oh Katie, he is so handsome, don't you think?" She gushed.

Katie raised her eyes, "You've got it bad eh?" She laughed as Colette made a face at her.

"I got in terrible trouble at the Hostel on Saturday." Colette began, "They had already locked up when I got back. I had to wake my landlady, luckily she let me in, but she told me next time I won't be so lucky."

"What would you do if you were locked out then?"

"I'd come here of course!" Colette laughed. Katie thought for a few moments.

"Why don't you come and move in here anyway? I'm fed up of living on my own...what do you say?"

"Oh Katie, really? I would love that, when can I move in?"

"Well it's our afternoon off tomorrow, I'll help you move your stuff in then." Colette hugged her friend.

"Thanks Katie, it is going to be so much fun. I can't wait to tell my landlady what she can do with her dumbfounded rules."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next afternoon, straight from work, they went to the hostel and collected Colette's things. She didn't have a lot of belongings, just one suitcase her records and her precious gramophone.

Katie carried the suitcase and records, and Colette carried the gramophone.

The landlady shook her head as she watched them walk down the road.

"I dread to think what shenanigans those two will be getting up to in that house." She said to herself, as she went back inside the hostel.

The gramophone wasn't especially heavy, but it was ungainly, and she was beginning to struggle with it when a jeep pulled up beside them.

"Need a lift ladies?"

Colette nearly dropped the gramophone. "Nick!"

Nick took the gramophone from her and put it on the back seat of the jeep. He grabbed Colette around the waist and swung her round.

"Have you missed me, honey?"

"Where have you been? I haven't heard from you in days, I was beginning to get worried.

"We have been real busy, where are you going with this?"

"I'm moving in with Katie, you nearly got me locked out of the hostel last Saturday!"

"Well let me help you then, jump in girls I'll drive you."

Katie and Colette climbed into the jeep and Nick drove them to the house. Katie offered him a cup of tea for his trouble, which he readily accepted.

Katie was wondering where Kevin was, but she wasn't about to ask, she didn't want him to think she was worried about him.

Luckily, Colette had no worries on that score.

"Where is Kevin then?"

"Oh, he is flying today."

"Really, where?"

"I'm afraid I can't tell you, "careless talk" and all that."

"Is it dangerous?" Katie asked quietly.

"You don't want to worry about Kevin, he is one of our best pilots." Nick tried to reassure her. He tried to sound cheerful, but they had lost several planes recently. They didn't know if the crews were dead, captured or on the run. "Thanks for the tea, but I must be getting back to the base, before they miss me."

Colette saw him to the door, and kissed him goodbye.

"Will I see you again soon?" She asked him as he turned to leave.

He squeezed her hand, "There is another dance on Saturday, I'll see you then."

Katie looked up as Colette walked back into the room.

"He is doing a dangerous job Colette, don't get too attached to him, you could get hurt."

"Oh, I didn't think catering was very dangerous!" She laughed. "Nick is a cook at the base," She explained, "and as for being too attached, I think it's too late for that Katie, I think I love him!"

More fool you then, I've already lost one man to this war, I am not going to get involved with anyone until it is all over."

"You mean because Kevin is a pilot? Come on Katie, better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all, or so they say."

"I have already loved and lost, Colette, I don't think I could go through it again."

"But you are coming to the dance on Saturday aren't you?"

"Of course I am, Kevin is a good dancer, and I am not stupid!" They laughed together. "Anyway, I can still enjoy his company. I just won't be getting involved with him. Just good friends."

Colette gave her a knowing look, which Katie chose to ignore. Then they gathered up Colette's belongings and took them up to her new room.

Chapter Four

They arrived at the farm bright and early. Today they were to harvest the top field, but first the cows had to be milked. Katie enjoyed this; it was peaceful, sometimes she would sing to the cows as she milked them. Once as she did this, the cow looked around at her and licked her arm. Her tongue was warm and rough.

Having been milked, the cows were taken out to the meadow to graze. The sun was just starting to warm the air, it looked like it was going to be a hot day.

Katie reported to Mr Dickson-Smith to see what her duties were to be today. He told her which group she would be working with and she was happy that she would be with Colette.

As they finished talking, a jeep arrived full of GI's who had come to help with the heavier work. Katie heard a happy shriek and saw Colette appear and run over to the jeep to say hello to Nick.

Katie scanned the other faces, no Kevin. She couldn't understand why her heart sank.

The farmer handed out tools to the men, and having seen Colette's behaviour he made sure that Nick was as far away from Colette as possible, otherwise no work would get done!

It was going to be a long day; they wouldn't stop until the field was finished even if it meant working into the night.

They set off to the field. The work was hard, and as the sun rose in the sky, it got much hotter.

By lunchtime, everyone was hot and sticky; their clothes were sticking to their bodies. Katie felt distinctly grubby and sweaty. As she sat down with her lunch, she noticed Nick and Colette go off for a walk together, and she smiled.

Nick and Colette wandered into the next field and found a nice comfortable spot.

They sat down together in the meadow and Nick took her into his arms. They gazed into each other's blue eyes and Nick leaned forward and kissed her.

"Oh, Nick." Colette murmured as her hand slid into his hair. Their kiss intensified as they lay back in the sunshine. Nick's hands travelled down Colette's back and she shivered delightfully.

His tongue slid into her mouth and her own, met his. As Nick's hand covered one breast Colette moaned gently, he made her feel so good. Nick's mouth continued to devour hers and his hand dropped to the button at her waistband.

"Uh mm... no, sorry Nick" her hand lay over his stopping him from undoing the button.

"What?" Nick was woozy with desire...

"I'm a good girl Nick... I don't want to get into trouble."

Nick couldn't help himself; he nuzzled into her neck, driving her crazy,

"Oh baby, I know you'll be good..."

"Nick, No!" Colette pushed him away firmly and sat up.

Nick fell back, his head was clearing, and the message had finally got through.

"I'm sorry baby, I didn't mean to...."

Colette turned and looked at him lying there. It was so tempting to give into her desires, he was gorgeous and she loved him, but she wasn't prepared to risk getting pregnant.

Her eyes roamed down his body one last time and her eyes widened as she saw the enormous bulge in his trousers. Her face blanched, she swallowed hard and looked away. "My god, he ishuge," she thought to herself.

Nick giggled at her reaction, he was used to it.

"Don't worry baby, I'll be very gentle...when the time comes."

Colette blushed furiously; she got up and dusted herself down.

"Come on you, I need my lunch before we go back to work." She set off back to the others.

Nick took a few moments to calm himself down, before following her. They walked back and had their lunch with Katie.

Katie leaned forward and picked a piece of straw from Colette's hair.

"Where have you been, and more to the point, what have you been doing?" She laughed at her friend's discomfort.

"Absolutely nothing." Colette said emphatically, "and" she added in a whisper "if what I just saw is anything to go by, that is the way it is going to stay!"

Katie gave her a quizzical look. But Colette was looking over Katie's shoulder.

"Well...look who it is."

Katie turned and saw Kevin walking up the field with another group of 'volunteers', her heart missed a beat, and she was very aware of what a mess she looked. Her hair was scraped back into a ponytail, and her shirt was grubby and sticking to her body. She was completely unaware of what the clinging shirt was doing to him.

Kevin was allocated to work along side Katie, much to his delight.

The afternoon passed swiftly as the workforce moved across the field, harvesting the crop and loading it onto the carts.

As the light began to fade, the farmer's wife brought hot chocolate and scones that she had made herself. Grateful for a rest, they ate their supper and then continued on, working into the night.

There was a beautiful harvest moon that night, which helped light their way. Kevin and Katie finished loading the last cart; the boss asked if they wanted to ride back on the cart, and they readily agreed, they were exhausted.

It had been a long hot day and the night was warm. They lay back on the corn and relaxed. All they could see were the stars above them, and the moon, shining down.

The gentle jogging of the cart rocked Katie to sleep, Kevin propped himself on one elbow and watched her as she slept. A gentle breeze stirred the curls that had escaped her ponytail and hung round her face.

Kevin lay there contentedly, thanking God for bringing him to this place, and this beautiful woman.

Chapter Five

"Hey baby, wake up." Kevin gently stroked Katie's face. She looked up into his eyes wondering where she was. Sitting up, she remembered, as her aching muscles complained.

Kevin helped her down from the wagon, and it carried on towards the farmhouse. She found she was outside her own house. Nick and Colette were by the front door, kissing goodnight. Kevin stepped forward and tilted her face up to his. He searched her eyes for permission to kiss her. Katie, still sleepy and content from the ride home, didn't back away. He brought his mouth down to hers, his lips were soft and gentle and she couldn't help but respond to him. With a gentle moan, he gathered her into his arms.

"Will you be at the dance tomorrow?" He asked her, as her head snuggled against his chest.

"Yes." She replied dreamily.

"Good, then I will look forward to it. Goodnight Katie." With one last kiss Kevin called to Nick, and they set off back to the Air base.

Katie opened the front door of her house, and she and Colette went inside.

"Could we have a little talk before we go to bed please?" Colette asked.

"Of course. We don't have to get up for work tomorrow. What is it?"

Colette's face was slightly flushed.

"You know lunchtime, Nick and I...well, he wanted to...you know."

"Yes." Katie prompted gently.

"Well I stopped him, because I don't want to get into trouble, and he was o.k. about it...but he was very aroused and...Katie...he seemed sobig...I've never...you know...before and I'm scared, what if he istoo big?"

"I'm afraid I am not sure I can be much help here, all I know is that as long as you are ready for him, then it shouldn't be a problem."

"But what about you and Stephen?"

Katie looked uncomfortable.

"We never actually..."

"What? What about your wedding night?"

"It was a disaster. I always wanted to wait until my wedding night to make love for the first time." Katie began to explain. "Not only that, but I must admit, I was worried about it. It was easier for me to tell Stephen that I was saving myself until then. The problem was, this put a lot of pressure on us on the night, especially as we knew he would be going back any day. It was as if wehadto do it right then. He was apprehensive, wanting to make my first time special, but I was just plain scared. All my muscles tensed up, and when he tried to enter me...well he couldn't, it hurt like hell, Colette...it was awful."

"That must have been terrible, what did he say?"

"We had a terrible row, he said I must be frigid, he didn't come near me again before he had to leave. He did write to me and apologise, he had spoken to the army doctor, who had explained that this could happen, a muscle spasm or something, because I was so nervous. He wanted me to go and see my own doctor but I was too shy. Now it doesn't matter anymore. I'm sorry, I haven't been much help with your problem."

"Don't be silly, that doesn't matter, I am just going to have to stay a good girl!" She put her hand on Katie's shoulder. "Are you O.K. love?"

"Yes, I'll be fine, but I think I need to get to bed. Goodnight Colette."

"Goodnight Katie, see you in the morning."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hamish, scratching on her bedroom door, woke Katie. She looked at the clock, 10 o'clock! She hadn't slept this late in ages. The poor dog must be desperate to go out.

Quickly getting dressed, she took Hamish across the fields for a walk.

On her return she made some breakfast for herself and Colette. Putting her head round the door of Colette's room she asked her.

"Would you like a cuppa?"

"Oh, yes please, I'd love a cup of tea."

Colette got dressed and came downstairs. Then they sat at the table together, drinking.

"You seem to be getting on better with Kevin." Colette observed.

"He is a very nice man, good dancer, good company, but that is as far as it goes."

"He did kiss you last night..."

"Yes I know, and itwas nice." She smiled at Colette, "There really is no point me getting involved with him, and he is not going to be around here for long anyway. Sooner or later they will be moved on. I will just enjoy his company while he is here."

Colette gave her sceptical look.

"Who are you trying to fool?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The girls spent the day leisurely, resting after the backbreaking work of the previous day.

They got Colette's room round to her satisfaction, listened to some music on her gramophone, and later did each other's hair ready for the dance.

At 8.00 they were ready and waiting in the village square, waiting for their transport.

Nick was driving, when the truck arrived, so Colette and Katie squeezed in the front seat with him. Then they drove off up the road, towards the air base.

The girls all chatted excitedly as they entered the hall. There was the usual spread of food, for some, this was more of a draw than the men or the dancing. Katie noticed there were no Negroes there.

Kevin appeared at her side.

"Is this a whites only dance now, Kevin?" She asked him.

Kevin chose to ignore the remark, she would never understand and he didn't want to argue with her. He took her hand and walked her over to get a drink. She asked for Coke, she was getting quite a taste for it. Kevin hoped he could get some punch down her at some point in the evening; he liked her better when she was loosened up a bit!

They spent the evening dancing together, Katie was picking up some of the more complicated steps now, and they made a stunning couple on the dance floor. Then the music slowed for a foxtrot, and Kevin took her in his arms, he slowly guided her around the room, and her head rested against his chest. She felt so comfortable in his arms.

Meanwhile, Nick had taken Colette outside in the moonlight. They were kissing and holding each other in the cool evening air. Nick wanted her very much but was afraid of another refusal. He had never felt like this about any girl before.

Drawing away from her, he looked into her eyes. Colette gave him one of her dazzling smiles.

"Oh baby, you are so beautiful." He told her earnestly, "I think I've fallen in love with you."

Colette's eyes widened in surprise and happiness.

"Oh Nick, I love you too." Standing on tiptoes she took hold of his face and kissed him on the mouth, their tongues entwined and Nick moaned.

"Oh baby, I want you so bad..."

"Nick...I'm scared..."

"What are you scared of honey?"

"Nick I've never...and I don't want to get into trouble..."

"Darlin' you don't have to do anything you don't want to, ok?"

"I know that Nick, but part of me wants to..."

She looked at him shyly, he was aroused by the longing he saw in her eyes."