Pentacle Knight Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Gwen winced too.

"Dirk," she began with a gulp, "I'm sorry I hurt you, but I didn't have a choice. You could have been from The Order for all I knew."

"Don't fret about it, Gwen," he sighed with a tired smile. "I would have done the same in your position. Forgive me for deceiving you both. I expected you to doubt my intentions, so I pretended to be a bounty hunter. Then I was shocked by your kindness. I had decided to nominate Aron as our fifth Keeper long before we left the moor. I wanted both of you in our family," he said sincerely as he looked between Gwen and Aron.

"And that declaration," Trent interrupted, "was more than enough to convince the rest of us."

Hector and Lance nodded in agreement with their fellow Keepers.

"I'm glad to hear that, but why are you all here in Merigold?" Gwen asked. "Is it normal for all the Keepers to leave their keep unguarded?"

The Keepers all chuckled at her question.

"Trust me, lass, it's not unguarded," Hector began as he twirled his red braid with his fingers. "Our hellcats and servants alone could hold the keep and the city against an army for months. Our numerous barracks house a sizable army of knights and hellcats inside and outside the stone walls of Brigdon. Brigdon Mountain naturally guards our north face. So, we Keepers are free to visit the Gillynot and mingle with citizens from all over the realm. We do it more often when war threatens to push north. We were here this week to await Dirk's return from Canton. Imagine our distress when he arrived two days late and severely injured, but at least he came bearing remarkable gifts," Hector declared as he looked between Gwen and Aron.

"You seem confident that we belong to your family already," Gwen observed in a political tone, surprising Aron.

He looked at her with an eyebrow raised. He knew she was fierce, but if she actually believed she had bargaining power with the Keepers of The Dark Sect, he would have to declare her crazy.

"I admit that I do," Hector said with a charming smile, meeting Gwen's challenge head-on.

The seductive smile and piercing glare she gave him in return sent Aron's heart pattering. She had the same look on her face after shooting an arrow through General Barn's wrist.

"Please, handsome Keepers of The Dark Sect," she continued in her condescending, political tone. "Explain to us every expectation we must meet to join your family. Also, tell us the consequences of refusing your offer. We are not a prize for the taking. You must earn our trust as well."

Aron gulped and nodded in agreement with Gwen as he looked between the Keepers. They were all staring at Gwen with a mix of impressed confusion on their faces.

"I warned you about her, didn't I?" Dirk chuckled.

"Aye," Hector agreed. "She has a commanding spirit and intimidating beauty. That's a deadly combination," he said with a smirk.

"She'll fit right in with the rest of the hellcats," Trent noted.

"I agree," Lance added as he tossed his blond braid over his shoulder and leaned forward in his chair. "Allow me to lay out the official requirements that must be met in order to become a Pentacle Knight of The Dark Sect. Like Hector said, Aron has already accomplished a majority of them. First of all, he completed a remarkable feat of strength by defeating five Devil Beasts alone. As proof, he has two pelts, a nasty injury, and a living witness to back up his claim. Secondly, he selflessly defended a helpless citizen in need. Gwen confirms that act as well. Thirdly, he has extensive training with a weapon of war and is considered an elite fighter. He proved that by defeating a Paladin General of The Holy Order and receiving a bounty on his head as a result. Fourthly, being a defecting paladin. The bounty proves that as well. Fifthly, he rejects the unnatural moral code of The Holy Order to deprive oneself of basic bodily pleasure and companionship. He proved that by inviting the vixen next to him to ride his meat dagger," he chuckled, causing another round of laughter from his fellow Keepers.

Gwen and Dirk both sighed and rolled their eyes. Aron's face had turned pink with embarrassment.

"Is that all?" Gwen asked, interrupting their merriment. She knew it wasn't.

"Sorry," Lance said with a nod in her direction before he continued. "Sixth of all, he has to meet all the Keepers and be invited to join The Dark Sect as a Pentacle Knight. That is obviously happening now. Seventh, if he accepts the invitation, he must be branded with our sigil, officially marking him as a Pentacle Knight. That title is similar to being a Paladin Knight of The Holy Order. You will be a member of an elite group of warriors, but you'll be allowed to have a family and indulge in vices of the flesh as long as it doesn't compromise your health. No drinking yourself under a table for a week straight. You're allowed to do that once a week if you're a pentacle. You're also allowed to leave The Dark Sect without consequences if you have a reasonable excuse. If you act maliciously towards other citizens or your fellow pentacles, you will be harshly judged and sentenced accordingly. Our laws are straightforward and natural, unlike The Holy Order. God forbid a paladin touch a titty with a cleric close by. You'll get flogged and locked in the stocks for it. So, Aron, what do you think so far? Do you still want to be a Pentacle Knight?"

"Yes," he agreed, without hesitation. "How do I become a Keeper?"

"Slow down, lad. We're getting to that part. First things first," Hector said as he stood and pulled his shiny broadsword from its dark leather scabbard. It had been propped against his armchair for easy access.

Aron stared in wonder at the beautiful weapon. It had a three-foot-long blade that was at least three inches in width at its thickest point. The hilt looked like burnished gold. The grip was tightly wrapped with a thin metal chain instead of leather, and it was long enough for both hands. Aron assumed it could easily take a leg off a charging warhorse. The end of the hilt was a wide, flat circle with the sigil of The Dark Sect molded into it. Their symbol was a five-point star inside a circle. Aron watched as Hector stepped over to the hearth, placed the hilt into the fire, and waited.

"Aron," Trent announced, "please stand and lean against the wall facing your future family. We don't want you flinching away as you receive your new mark."

Aron gulped as he stood and stepped over to the wall between the bathroom door and the hearth. Lance stood and followed him. Lance and Trent both placed a hand on one of Aron's shoulders and pushed him firmly against the wall. Dirk stepped up behind his brother Trent and placed a hand on Aron's shoulder as well. Gwen could see the apprehension on Aron's face as he watched Hector approaching him with the glowing red hilt. She quickly stood behind Lance and reached under his massive arm so she could touch Aron's forearm. She didn't want to be left out of his initiation.

Aron clenched his teeth and tensed as Hector pressed the glowing hilt into the circle of his old sigil. A hissing sound followed, then the smell of burnt flesh. Aron let out a heavy breath when Hector finally pulled the burning hilt away, revealing his new sigil.

"Welcome to The Dark Sect, Pentacle Knight Aron," Hector announced.

"Welcome, Pentacle Knight Aron," announced the rest of the Keepers before they stepped away.

"Thank you, Keepers of The Dark Sect. It's an honor," Aron breathed as he closed his eyes and leaned against the wall for a moment.

His burnt flesh was screaming at that point. The last time he was branded, it took a month for the wound to fully heal. The pentagram sigil burned less skin than the cross and eye sigil, so he hoped it would heal faster.

"Keepers, may I treat his burn?" Gwen asked.

"Of course, Gwen," Dirk said as he returned to his seat on the bed.

Gwen went into the bathroom and soaked a washcloth in clean water from the pump. Then she hurried out and pressed it against his burn.

"Mm, thanks, Gwen," Aron whispered. The cold cloth felt heavenly on his chard skin.

Gwen retrieved a pitcher of water from the bathroom and sat down on the rug with Aron again. Aron took the initiative of re-wetting the washcloth every few minutes to soothe his burn.

"Okay," Aron sighed, getting everyone's attention. "Now that we got that unpleasant business out of the way, how do I become a Keeper?" he asked as he looked at Hector.

"Well," he began, "we have announced our desire to make you a fellow Keeper, and you seem eager to accept. That's the first step. The fact that you have already chosen an intimate partner also speeds up your potential acceptance. Every Keeper has a second that they share intimate space within Star Keep, and everyone that already lives there must approve of the new members. I speak for all the Keepers when I extend a honeymoon invitation to Pentacle Knight Aron and his intimate partner Gwen. Please, come live with us in Star Keep for a month and see how you like it. Our house is like one big open marriage. We love, defend, and comfort one another to strengthen our bond. It's our duty to always support one another. Late Keeper William's partner recently moved out of Star Keep to live with her family in the village, but she will always have a guest room waiting for her if she chooses to return. She is still our family. You have already gained The Dark Sect's protection against any enemy that pursues you. You won't lose that if you refuse to become a Keeper. So, do you accept our invitation?"

Gwen and Aron looked at each other and smiled. It was an easy choice.

"We gladly accept," Aron replied.

After breakfast, Dirk retreated to his room to rest and pack for the journey home. Hector and Trent collected Aron and his old things and left the Gillynot Inn to visit their favorite blacksmith in Marigold. Lance was assigned temporary guard duty over Gwen while Aron was away. Their small company would always be in danger outside of Brigdon. The Holy Order wouldn't take kindly to The Dark Sect taking Aron and Gwen under their protection.

Gwen was nervous and excited as she dressed and began packing. She pulled on a simple wool frock with light blue tones for their ride north. It was the nicest dress she owned, but it was obviously peasant garb to Lance. He was smiling as he watched her stuff dirty travel clothes into a leather satchel.

"Gwen, would you like new clothes for our journey?" he asked.

She looked at the handsome blonde in surprise after that question.

"Uh, thank you, Lance, but I don't need any," she said in embarrassment.

"That's not what I asked," he said with a kind smile. "Come along, Gwen. You need better riding clothes, and I'm sure you will like them," he said as he opened the door for her and motioned her out.

Lance led Gwen up the street to a tailor that specialized in light armor. Since they were tight on time, the tailor put together a simple outfit and made a few adjustments for Gwen's slender frame. She received black breeches and a pair of dark brown leather boots that laced up to her knees. She selected a comfortable white linen blouse to go under her new dark leather vest and vambraces. The vest tightened around her waist like a comfortable corset for extra back support while riding. And a short, pleated leather skirt hung down from it to offer thigh and hip protection.

A huge smile brightened Gwen's face when Lance led her over to a mirror in the corner. She thought she looked alluring and important in her new riding outfit. The leather vest put her cleavage on display through the low-cut collar of her blouse. It helped her look more feminine while wearing breeches. Lance tossed a gorgeous fur-lined coat over her shoulders to complete the outfit.

"Oh, wow, thank you," she breathed as she snuggled into it.

"It's a bit warm to wear now, but you'll need it as we travel north," Lance explained before he stepped over to the counter to settle their bill.

They left the shop with two small bundles and headed back towards the Gillynot Inn. Gwen was smiling as she looked down at her tall boots. They made her legs feel stronger.

"Ah, just in time," Lance announced as he and Gwen stopped in front of the Gillynot.

They looked up an adjoining street to see the rest of their company approaching the inn. Gwen's mouth dropped open when she realized the handsome man walking between Hector and Trent was Aron. He looked completely different in black-stained armor and dark leather. The blacksmith pounded out the recognizable symbols from The Holy Order and scorched the silver metal to disguise it further. Aron resembled the men in his company with his new color scheme, but he was still wearing more plate armor than Hector and Trent.

Aron looked towards the inn, and his eyes widened when he realized the important-looking woman standing next to Lance was Gwen. She looked stunning in fitted riding leathers. She barely resembled the farm girl he met a few days earlier. It was amazing how new clothes changed her soft demeanor into something noble. That thought stopped him in his tracks. Hector and Trent looked at Aron in confusion, wondering why he stopped, then they glanced to where he was staring.

"Damn," was all Hector could manage as he stared at Gwen.

"Damn is right. I wish I could pull off a look like that," Trent said with a grin.

"That's not what I meant by my damn, Trent. Now she looks too much like our Lady Guinevere's painting. Aron, you seriously found that woman on a potato farm?" Hector asked as he looked at their new recruit with his brow furrowed.

"I did, but how she got there worries me to no end," he sighed as he looked at Hector guiltily.

"Hmm, we'll discuss it more on the road," he said and motioned everyone towards the inn.

He was eager to get off the streets. He had noticed too many new faces in Marigold Village that day for his comfort. He was sure The Holy Order had spies watching them by that point.

After a quick lunch, the Pentacle Knights saddled their horses and departed Marigold Village. Gwen volunteered to ride with Dirk on Bruno for the first leg of their journey. Having her at the reins made steering easier, and Dirk could lean on her to help his balance when they traveled over rough ground. The day was cool and sunny. A fragrant breeze was at their backs as they veered from the main road and entered an unmarked trail through a lightly wooded region. As Bruno trotted along beside Moxy, Dirk pulled Gwen's recurve bow out of Moxy's saddlebag and looked at it in disbelief.

"You fucked up my arm with this twig of a bow?" he asked.

"It's not a twig. My father made it for me when I was ten. It packs a punch for its size, just like me. I can take down a small stag with it," she bragged.

"I'm sure it's shat against a Devil Beast. You need a better weapon," he sighed as he stuck it back into Moxy's saddlebag.

"I like my old weapon just fine, thank you," she grumbled.

Aron was smiling as he listened to Gwen and Dirk argue about the best kind of ranged weapon for a woman. Hector rode up beside Aron and motioned for him to fall back a little. He slowed Moxy's trot until he was riding between Hector's and Lance's black and brown stallions. Trent was bringing up the rear of their company on his snowy mare.

"What is Gwen's story, Aron? I want every detail," Hector said quietly.

Aron explained all the strange things he discovered about Gwen over the past few days. By the time he wrapped up his story, Hector and Lance were wearing troubled expressions.

"What's your thoughts on the matter?" Aron asked as he looked between them.

"I don't like it," Lance sighed, shaking his head.

"Why?" Aron asked.

"William's last dispatch to us is why," Hector added. "Before Mordred's men sent Keeper William to the afterlife, he was investigating the kidnapping of a damsel matching Gwen's description. The unknown woman was said to be of royal lineage and meant to be offered up as a bride for Galahad, but she was secretly kidnapped by Mordred's men before reaching the capital. According to William's report, they stole her from her shrouded coach. No one knew she was gone until it was too late. The shrouds the nuns were using to keep her hidden had aided the kidnappers! Then, with the utmost idiocy, the nuns claimed the damsel's disappearance to be an act of God! Galahad took it to heart. He swiftly declared that God didn't want him to marry. Now he's on an absurd quest for a holy relic and carving up all the knights he meets along the way. If you ask me, he needs to bury his dick in some hot pussy and cool his damn temper a bit," Hector snorted, prompting a hearty "Aye!" from Lance.

"By the Divine! I remember that debacle," Aron said in surprise. "Cleric Renal was beside himself with rage at the nuns. You honestly think Gwen could be a lost princess?"

"No one knows if the damsel was actually a princess or not," Lance continued. "William didn't know her parentage. The secret was lost with her and her kidnappers. She supposedly had something on her person that would prove her lineage and her worthiness to marry a virtuous knight like Galahad," Lance sighed with a roll of his eyes.

"What on earth could prove something like that?" Aron asked.

"Royal jewels, I would think. A signet ring or necklace, maybe," Hector suggested.

"Oh, well, Gwen doesn't have any jewelry that I know of. Her oldest possessions are her bow and quiver, and they're a little worse for wear if you ask me."

"Aye, I suspect her kidnappers would have taken anything of value before they dumped her," Lance added.

"Leaving their victim breathing was sloppy, though," Hector noted. "The whole thing stinks of political meddling. The Holy Order hoped Galahad would settle down and stop killing folks if he had a wife to keep him busy, but someone made sure that didn't happen. Gwen could help us solve the mystery if she could remember some names. We'll let our alluring shaman take a look at her once she is settled into the keep," Hector suggested with a grin.

"I think we all need a proper looking over. Our shaman is the best in the land," Lance sighed with a smile.

"You have a shaman? A real magic-wielding shaman?" Aron asked as he looked at Hector with an eyebrow raised.

"Eh, some call it magic, some call it medicine, and some call it toxic mushrooms. It's all in the eye of the beholder, really."

The Keepers traveled many hidden paths on their ride to Brigdon to avoid Order spies. The journey took two extra days because of their precautions. Dirk was the only person complaining about it, but his tone would change when Gwen offered to ride with him on Bruno. They had become fast friends during the four days it took them to reach the stronghold of The Dark Sect. Dirk had even convinced Gwen to begin training with a crossbow.

Brigdon was a stout, walled-in village of alpine stone houses nestled against the base of a snow-capped mountain. A misty waterfall decorated the mountain wall that dropped three-hundred-feet below the road that led into the main gate of the city. Citizens were going about their day as their Keepers greeted them in the streets. Gwen noticed many handsome men and leather-clad women patrolling the cobblestone streets. Dark and light-haired children were running through the open market with wooden swords.

Star Keep was a demanding structure on the right side of the village. It was ten stories tall and close enough to the waterfall to catch its spray when the wind shifted. It looked like a castle designed for impenetrable defense. It gave the impression of rigid duty, but as they entered the walled-in courtyard, they were met with colorful garden landscaping. Young knights in training were scattered about the garden, taking combat lessons from older knights. Gwen smiled when she saw groups of women participating in the training.