Pharaoh’s Curse Pt. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Whoa, whoa, slow down; as you can see, I'm fine," Andrew said in a soft tone.

"But where did you go?!" Alex asked in a worried tone.

"Go?" Andrew was quite confused by that question.

"The moment you told us you were fine, it just got silent. We couldn't hear a word or noise for that matter from this room," Carla stated, a little freaked out by what she had just witnessed. Doors just don't close by themselves. Sound just didn't cease to exist since she knew the room wasn't soundproof. Even if he had left, they would still have been able to hear something, even if it was the tiniest of noises.

"Just what happened in here?" Anta asked, looking around, trying to see if anything had been moved or misplaced.

"Told you; to talk to a goddess," Andrew replied, looking at Anta.

"But which one?!" Alex inquired. She just couldn't believe he would just say that so candidly or that she believed him. Seeing color rushing to her son's cheeks as he looked away. "I take it, it was Bast."

"Yeah," Andrew muttered.

"Did the wifey come to check up on you?" Alex teased, smirking when her son groaned and noted how Anta and Carla were sporting gaping mouths and shocked eyes.

"You're married?!" Anta and Carla shouted.

"Did you really have to?!" Andrew bemoaned, to which his mother simply nodded her head.

"You're really married... to a goddess?!" Anta asked in disbelief.

"Yeah," Andrew answered sheepishly.

"And you're okay with that?" Carla inquired, peering at Alex.

"Isn't like I can do a whole lot about it, Carla. Bast is a goddess, after all."

"But why?" Anta and Carla quired, trying to understand.

"It's one of the ways to restore Ma'at," Andrew replied, leaving out the fact that he was also a demigod; he so didn't think they would be able to handle that at the moment.

"And the other ways?!" They prodded for information.

"Umm..." Looking away, unsure how they would take the news, he was planning on having Luxor[10] and Karnak[11] restored to their former glory, nor how he was going to bring back the ancient festivals that brought the people and the gods together as one.

"Don't you start holding out on us, mister," Alex said, poking her son in the stomach. "Out with it."

"Well... you know Karnak and Luxor?"

"Yeah? What about them," they asked in a tone that inferred they weren't idiots.

"I'm kind of having them restored," Andrew spoke in a shy tone.

"What do you mean having them restored?" Alex asked with a pointed look.

"To what they were when the Pharaohs ruled and will rule again," Andrew spoke as a blue ring of his divinity danced along his eyes.

"And just how are you going to pull this off, huh? Those are historical sites, Andrew. You just can't go in there and slap a coat of plaster on the walls without riling up the people," Alex said in a disapproving tone.

"You think I'm an idiot?" Andrew asked, shooting his mother a look. "Isis is going to pull some strings and get the government to do it under the disguise of tourism."

"Awful sneaky, aren't you?" Anta huffed; she could see how Alex didn't like it one bit, just like she didn't.

"Has to be done," Andrew stated in a firm tone.

"And pray tell me, son, just why does it have to be done?" Alex asked in a motherly tone as she crossed her arms below her breasts.

"Because restoring the temples and reviving the ancient festivals is another step in restoring Ma'at. Also, they sit on the focal point of Ma'at; if they didn't, we wouldn't be having this discussion."

"Are you trying to bring back the old religion?" Carla asked to which Andrew simply nodded.

"Whether you believe in them or not, the gods are real. As much as I hate being this..." gesturing to himself, "it seems the gods won't let me bow out of whatever they have planned. I doubt they will allow me to just shrug them off even if I wanted to. So I must do what I must; I'd rather not be tossed into the maw of Ammit[12]," Andrew said truthfully.

"They would do that?" Anta asked quizzically.

"Have a feeling they would," Andrew nodded. Not telling them if God, in whatever form he wished to be called, was losing power and the old gods were returning. He doubted they would jeopardize their return if he went off-script.

"And just how do you know Ammit exists?" Alex asked in a scientific voice.

"I've seen the demon, Mom," Andrew said, rolling his eyes.

"And just where have you seen it?" Alex shot back.

"On the Atet[13] when I traveled through Duat[14]," Andrew spoke in a matter-of-fact tone. "Believe me or don't, that's on you," he stated, seeing the disbelief in his mother's eyes. "Have I not given you enough evidence for you to believe that I am not making this up? Why would I? What do I possibly gain from lying?"

"Andrew, the Duat?! You seriously expect us to believe you've traveled through the Egyptian underworld on Ra's barge no less?!"

"Believe what you want to believe, but it's true, I have," Andrew said, standing his ground.

"Okay, let's just say you have; why you? Why not the Professor? Why wasn't she picked to be the next Pharaoh?" Carla asked, seeing Andrew rubbing his temple.

"Because she and Bast couldn't consummate the pact," Andrew sighed, feeling like he's just talking in circles. Tapping the brand on his chest when he noted her puzzled look. "Also, I'm Ra's some odd great-grandson," noting how their eyebrows rose when he said that, "hence why I could do what I did at the museum," he said, looking at Carla, referring to how he had caught her when she fell off the ladder.

"But that would mean..." Anta's voice trailed off when all Andrew did was nod.

"But then why can't I do any of that stuff?" Alex huffed.

"How the hell would I know?! You want answers to questions that I don't have a fucking clue how to answer them. Do you think the gods tell me why? No. They just say hey, you're needed and go do this," Andrew said, throwing up his hands.

"Andy, I'm..." Her voice stilled when her son held up a hand.

"It's fine; let's just go get what you need; all we're doing is talking in circles," Andrew grumbled as he rubbed the back of his head.

******

Andrew stood back as the three of them studied the camcorders sitting within the glass display of the local electronics store. Noting how they were murmuring to each other when they were specifically looking at the ones with an external light source and long-lasting battery life. Hearing his mother chatting with the salesperson about if there were extra batteries they could buy and the memory cards for the one they had decided to purchase. He could see the glee in the person's eyes at the commission the woman was going to make because of it.

"Andy?" Alex said in a soft tone as she turned towards him. The backpack she had bought to carry the supplies she would need to explore the ruins and properly study them jostled within it. Noting how Anta's and Carla's did the same when they, too, turned around to peer at Andrew. "Would you mind? It's a little too much on my salary," she stated in a bashful tone.

"You promise that whatever footage you take won't see the halls of your museum?" Andrew asked, his arms sat crossed along his chest when he peered at the three of them. He so didn't need for whatever they find there to find itself on the internet. He was already dealing with one giant headache; he didn't need another.

"We promise, it will just be for us, isn't that right?" Alex asked, looking at her two students.

"Alright," Andrew sighed as he pulled out his wallet when he approached the counter. Noting how the price came out to one thousand five hundred and twenty-six pounds, pulling out his phone doing the conversion to USD. Glancing at his mother, hoping that for over two grand it better be the best camera on the market. Seeing how Carla was stuffing the boxes of extra batteries into her bag along with the extra memory cards, as well as the charger for the batteries when one wasn't installed in the camera itself. Hearing the woman tearing off the receipt from the machine and laying it and a pen on the glass surface. Hearing the ball of it moving along the paper as he signed his name. Turning his head when the BBC channel that was playing on the wall of TVs on display stopped him in his tracks.

"Andy, what's got your attention?" Carla asked when she and the other two were about to exit the store, only to find Andrew's attention was captivated by whatever was on the screens of the televisions.

Andrew didn't say a word when satellite images of Egypt appeared on the screen. Showing how lush and green the land was starting to look. Seeing the waters of the Nile pouring over the top of the Aswan High Dam. Seeing how their flood gates were wide open yet couldn't stop the onslaught of water that crested over the dam. Praying to Hapi[15] so that the water wouldn't destroy the dam and ruin countless people's lives. Reading the closed caption as the reporters yammered on about how strange this was due to the drought that Egypt was currently experiencing. Chalking it up to climate change when in truth, it was due to the fact of his and Bast's union that had brought about this change. No one other than him would know this was just the beginning of the restoration of Egypt; that more vast changes would be occurring in the days and years to come.

"Anta, Professor, you might want to come see this," Carla spoke, unable to take her eyes off the screens as she stood beside Andrew.

"What in the world?!" Alex muttered, knowing the dam was built to stop the Nile from flooding like it did in the days of yesteryear. Watching how Anta quickly reached into her pocket and pulled out her phone. She knew her family relied on the Nile for their income, and any change in it would harm the limited income they made from it. "Andrew, can't you do something?" she whispered as Anta talked rapidly in Arabic behind her.

"How can I? I'm not in Egypt," Andrew uttered, never taking his eyes off the TVs.

"But that's too much water; the Nile will flood," Carla said in a worried tone.

"I know," Andrew nodded in agreement. Glancing down, when Bast curled herself around his legs in her cat form that only he could see. Silently reassuring him that they had heard his prayer, that they had heard his worry as well. Yet if he wished to stop the water from rising above the banks, there was only one way for him to do so. His hand slid down his face as Cleopatra's Needle appeared in his mind.

"Andy, what's wrong?" Carla asked in a caring tone as she placed her hand on his upper left arm.

"We need to go somewhere," Andrew spoke, spinning on his heel and walking towards the door. Bringing his fingers to his lips and whistling loudly as he heard the three of them rushing out the door as he hailed a taxi.

"Andrew, what's gotten into you?" Alex asked worryingly as she and her students slid into the back of the cab. Not seeing Bast sitting on her son's lap. However, she did note how intently he was staring at his lap.

"Cleopatra's Needle[16], and step on it," Andrew ordered when Anta was settled and closed the door.

"Andrew, what's going..."

"You want me to stop it, right?" Andrew shot his mother a look.

"But..."

"Just trust me, alright," Andrew stated, not realizing his hand was stroking along Bast's spine, nor the looks the three of them shot him as he did that while he peered out the window.

"Andy, you're freaking me out," Carla whispered; her eyes glanced down to his lap when he had a confused look on his face when Andrew peered at her.

"Can you not see her?" Andrew asked, looking at the three of them.

"See who?" Anta asked with a worried look in her eyes. Hearing his sigh, wondering why he was giving his lap that pointed look. It was really starting to make her worry about his mental state.

"Bast." Was the only word Andrew spoke.

"And she's on your lap?" Carla inquired with a pointed look.

"Yeah, who do you think told me to head to that obelisk?" Andrew retorted with his own look.

"You're saying Bast, the cat goddess of fertility and childbirth, the home, and battle, is sitting on your lap, allowing you to pet her like a normal cat?" Carla asked, trying to make sense out of it.

"You forgot one; she's also the protector of the Pharaoh," Andrew stated, peering down at Bast, who was purring as she licked her right front paw. Those green eyes of hers glanced up at him with a mischievous look within them. Wondering if she was doing this on purpose. "But yes, I am, and she is," nodding when he peered over at her, "she especially likes it when I rub her belly." Smirking wickedly down at her, watching how her eyes narrowed, then the glint of her claws when she unsheathed them, daring him to try it.

"You're so lucky," Anta pouted as she slumped back into her seat.

"Huh?" Andrew honestly didn't feel lucky.

"I love cats; I have a tabby at home; what I wouldn't give just to know a cat goddess called my room home," Anta said in dream-like wonder. Seeing how Andrew peered back down and arched his right eyebrow, wondering what was happening on his lap. They all jumped, except for Andrew, when Bast leapt across the divide and landed in Anta's lap. "Andrew?!" Anta spoke in a nervous tone when all Bast did was stare up at her as she sat on her hind legs. Her tail brushed along Anta's legs, waiting patiently.

"What? You're the one who wanted to pet her. What did you expect when stating your desires to a cat goddess? She always needs attention," Andrew said, grinning madly when Bast turned her head and hissed at him.

"But I didn't..."

"You kind of did, Anta. Go on; she isn't going to wait forever," Andrew spoke, gesturing her on.

"She's so soft?!" Anta squealed as her hands ran over Bast. Smiling like a little kid as she lightly massaged Bast's ears. Losing herself when she listened to her purr as she did.

Andrew rolled his eyes when Bast was just sitting there soaking up the praise and worship the three of them were giving her. Shooting his mother a look when she couldn't stop touching Bast when just a few minutes ago she questioned her presence in the car. Seeing how she bowed her head and how her cheeks grew red. His eyes glanced over to his left, seeing Cleopatra's Needle looming in the distance. Wondering just what Bast wanted him to do when they got there and just how was he going to stop the waters of the Nile from so far away. Andrew really wished this all came with a handbook and an appendix?!

"You mind waiting?" Andrew asked the driver once he had parked a few hundred yards away from the obelisk.

"Sure, mate, it's your dime, but the meter will be running," the man said, tapping on the box as the counter inched up as they talked,

Arching an eyebrow at how Anta was carrying Bast in her arms as they strolled down the sidewalk towards the monument. Also noting how Bast was getting far too much satisfaction out of it as she just laid there all regal like in Anta's arms. Equally confused when Bast pushed his hand away with her paw when he reached for her. Shrugging his shoulders, if she wanted to be with Anta he was all the more willing to unload all this weirdness onto her.

"Not going to happen." Hanging his head when Bast spoke into his mind. "Don't deprive me of my pampering, my Pharaoh."

"What?" Alex asked when she saw her son shaking his head.

"Nothing, don't worry about it," Andrew muttered as they waited to cross the street. His eyes moved down the stone's surface as the sunlight caused shadows to play along the hieroglyphics. Not that he could read it from where he was, yet he didn't have to. He already knew what was chiseled onto the stone. A flash of memory from the ancient past flared in his mind. Taking him back to the day it was being hewed out of the stone. Hearing the bronze hammers striking the buts of the bronze chisels. The cadence of the worker's voices in the air as they worked as one to cut the stone away.

"Honey." Alex's soft tone and light touch brought him out of that meandering memory. "You sure you're okay?" she asked in a motherly tone.

"Nope, not one bit," Andrew admitted before stepping onto the crosswalk and towards where the obelisk rested. Pondering if those memories would always flare up or would they die away.

"Andy, what's wrong?" Alex inquired when she quickly scurried to her son's side.

"Do you know how irritating it is to have memories of people who lived thousands of years ago pop into your head?" Andrew uttered, thrusting his hands out in annoyance.

"Why, what did you see?" Alex asked in a scholarly voice.

"That," Andrew replied, pointing to the obelisk.

"What about it?" Alex looked towards the stone pillar, wondering what could have her son so worked up about.

"I remembered watching the workers quarrying it out. The sound of their voices. The very song they were singing to keep up the pace of their chiseling. The way the very air tasted on my tongue?!" Andrew exclaimed.

"But honey, this is a very unique experience anyone in this world has been given," Alex said in a teacherly voice. "Just think of all the insight you can provide to us about what the people were like at that time. What they were really worried about in their day-to-day lives. All the little nuances that failed to survive throughout the ages. I know how much this must be disconcerting to you, Andrew, and I'm not trying to belittle what you're going through at this moment. I'm just trying to make you see the other side of things. I know ancient Egypt isn't your favorite subject," reaching over and taking hold of Andrew's arm with they were a quarter of the way to the obelisk, "I know that's because of what I did and how you must have wanted to do whatever you could to forget me for what I did. I can never, ever apologize enough for that; I will hate myself until I'm dead for missing out on those years with you. How I would give anything to be able to turn back time and take you with me or share half a year with your father for custody. Yet, I can't; all I can do is move forward and hope that someday you will forgive me on your own for what I did, the pain I caused you.

It's my hope that if I can help you in figuring out what you're seeing, that maybe we can work on rebuilding what I willingly left behind for a dream. That you could maybe learn to turn what you know into something useful while providing a good life for you and your future. And as your future Queen, we, my Pharaoh," she whispered sinfully in ancient Egyptian, "will use all the leaders of our kingdom to guide Egypt back into the spotlight," Alex said in a regal tone as she struck a royal pose.

Wondering if his mother had suspected that the gods had a hand in her departure now that she knew the gods were real and who they were related to. Andrew pondered on that as his eyes studied his mother's face. Shaking the thought from his mind, at the time, he knew she didn't, so he couldn't place all the blame on her since he knew firsthand that the gods did twist Fate to set this whole thing up to get him back to Egypt. However, that didn't mean she was off the hook either. Nonetheless, given who was in earshot, he didn't know if it was wise to speak it in front of Bast.

"Can't shake that, huh?" Andrew shot his mother a smirk as he placed his hand over hers.

"Nah-uh," shaking her head, a warm, loving smile was on her lips, "I am a Princess of Egypt; I want the land I've loved since I was your age restored to its glory. I might not understand what you're going through, yet I can imagine what Egypt was like back in those days. When it was at the height of its power before the collapse."