All Comments on 'Pixie Magic Ch. 01'

by EverydayMagic

Sort by:
  • 18 Comments
ncpetencpete12 months ago

Good start. Looking forward to the next chapter. Thanks for sharing it with us.

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

Excited

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

Medical niggle: From Wikipedia (note 2nd sentence):

An open fracture, also called a compound fracture, is a type of bone fracture that has an open wound in the skin near the fractured bone. The skin wound is usually caused by the bone breaking through the surface of the skin.

So you wouldn't need an x-ray to ascertain a broken metacarpal bone (which in a google anatomy drawing appears to be similar to our shin), as it would be sticking out. It can be quite stomach churning to observe compound fractures.

MaonaighMaonaigh12 months ago

I don't know much about bones and fractures but I do know about writing and this is a very creditable start to what promises to be an enjoyable and worthwhile story. So it's a well-deserved five stars to start you off. (As a tongue-in-cheek aside, why are unpleasant characters in US-based stories always called Randy?)

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

Not a bad concept but I can tell the author has exactly zero clues about actual firearms laws, or legal use of force.

Really takes away from the story.

EverydayMagicEverydayMagic12 months agoAuthor

Thank you for your comments. FYI Anonymous niggler: Skyler saw the bone was fractured before removing the leg from the foothold trap, well before the doe was rescued. The x-ray was to confirm the extent of the fracture. (Was there a single break, or were their multiple bone fragments under the skin?). An x-ray would be required before selecting the plate to be inserted and determining the best placement of the plate. Remember, Skyler had never operated on a doe before.

I'm glad you're getting into the story! Read on, McDuff!

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

Why is there always someone who goes out of their way to be an ass after they search to try and find something incorrect about a story. It’s like their only joy in life just like some little brat snitching on anyone about anything. Totally disgusting that they have nothing better to do l though this is just hypothetical of course.

Excellent story. It’s one of those stories I find myself so deeply into it that I was actually angry at a fictional character and was hoping Skyler decked him. I love your characters and storyline. I can’t wait for more.

pk2curiouspk2curious12 months ago

Lol " Medical niggle: From Wikipedia " . This is fiction . Nobody cares about the exact details . Not in fiction .

Well done .

EverydayMagicEverydayMagic12 months agoAuthor

You guys amaze me with your attention to some of the details and "discrepancies" I've placed in this chapter, especially the comment about firearms laws and use of force. This is just the first chapter and I hope I haven't distracted you too much to have you keep reading because perhaps some (all?) of your concerns will be addressed in upcoming chapters. Sometimes it's the exceptions that define the rule.

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

Maybe stop being "amazed" by what distracts people from the story and think about _why_ it distracts them. Me, i don't hunt so wouldn't have a clue how you had got firearms laws wrong, and i don't know much about anatomy to know how good his doctoring is, but... I've had 6 dogs with attraction to porcupines. I thought you were right on when he said border collies were too smart to be caught twice, and even more so when the farmer said he was protecting the sheep, but them... It was ONE quill! After the first dog, I've never taken my dog to the vet for fewer than a hundred. Hell, my WIFE has taken ONE quill out of me (and she made it seem far more serious than 50 from the dogs). Porcupine quills are just not that big a deal.

JSA69JSA6912 months ago

So far, I love it. I hope Randy gets his due.

PurplefizzPurplefizz12 months ago

Good story, I’m enjoying it! I’m sure Authors find it hard to create something new and put it out there for anon morons without attracting some supercilious nonsense. Nobody out here in Lit-land cares if firearms regs or medical minutiae are correct or not, we care about scene setting, pacing, vocabulary, characterisation etc, not petty details. Any commenter - please be constructive, if you can’t then stfu. Best wishes, Ppfzz

EverydayMagicEverydayMagic12 months agoAuthor

My stories are written for the "average" reader. You don't need to have a medical degree or be an expert in firearms or hunting techniques to read (and hopefully enjoy) the stories I've written or plan to write. I may or may not have more knowledge about firearms than a commentator has made, but I also didn't want the way I presented Randy to take away from his enjoyment of the story. There will be more details about Randy and his use (misuse, actually) of firearms and foothold traps in later chapters, which I hope will bring back some of his enjoyment of the story.

For everyone else, I don't worry about the negative comments and I would invite you not to worry about them either. Some, like the comments about the porcupine quill(s) are quite accurate and was a definite flaw in the story. I should have made that a more serious injury.

The bottom line, I don't want to discourage anyone from speaking their mind on the story. I appreciate the time and thought, whether or not I agree with it.

LeakyFaucitLeakyFaucit11 months ago

Dig it, good read.

caveman21936caveman2193611 months ago

Randy confessed to a crime. Why not just report him? That should protect the doe from him.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Thank you, I have enjoyed this chapter and I will run to read next one. I liked the mysteries in it and the ragging hot scene.

OpenWordsOpenWordsabout 2 months ago

I don't like when writers use poor plot tools to justify a protagonist whimpy decision making process. Why would any writer think it's a good thing to write a main make character so week that he makes a woman cry for no good reason?

ClearmuseClearmuse18 days ago

Tantalizing opening!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userEverydayMagic@EverydayMagic
Each of us can create our own type of magic for ourselves, but the most powerful magic is the magic we give to each other. Whether its in the form of our imagination or something much more tangible, our only limits are the ones we place on ourselves. Kindness and understandi...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES