Private Practice Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I took my seat on the front row behind the Defense table. Paulina Patterson, wearing her peach-pink skirt and jacket and matching high heel pumps, came up and sat next to me. A few minutes later Michael Thomas McGill came in. He put his stuff on the table, then turned and shook my hand. He also shook Paulina's hand... but pulled her towards him and exchanged a one-cheek kiss, which she happily accepted.

In back, Teresa said "Did you see that? Michael McGill and Paulina seem friendly. You think something's going on between them?"

"Yes. Yes I do." Cindy said.

Teresa asked "You think Don knows about it?" When she didn't get a reply, she looked over to see Cindy peering at her.

"Does Don know about it." the Green Crowbar said sardonically. "You're not asking that question seriously, are you?"

"Errr... No." replied the Iron Wolf.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

ADA Savannah Fineman was at her table, but D.A. Miriam Walters had not shown up. Neither had Our Sheriff, I realized. I didn't have time to contemplate that, as the Judge was coming in and we all were getting to our feet.

After gaveling the session into order, the Jury was briefly brought in. Seeing all of them there, the Judge sent them to the Jury Room to continue deliberations. Twenty minutes later, the Sheriff and D.A. Walters came in together. Miriam went to the Prosecution table, and the Sheriff sat down at the first space on the first row behind the Prosecution table. He waved to us.

Michael McGill and Stanley Locklear turned back to face me and Paulina, and we leaned forward to whisper to them. I asked how McGill thought it went, and he said "I think it'll end in a hung jury. I just hope it'll be 10-2 or better for acquittal, and maybe they won't retry it."

Paulina made observations, then said "Savannah and Miriam aren't talking. Something going on between them?"

"A whole lotta nuthin'." I said. "A whole lotta nuthin'..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 1:00pm, the Sheriff took me, Cindy, and Teresa to lunch at the Cop Bar. We talked mostly about the Toyota Gang, whose data I'd been studying on my Police iPad all morning.

Around 1:40pm, as we were just finishing our delicious lunches, Cindy's cellphone buzzed. She read the text, then said "The Jury has reached a verdict. The Judge is going to read it at 2:00pm."

We hurried back to the Courthouse. I took my place in the front row behind the Defense table. "What does this mean?" I asked Michael McGill.

"I don't know." McGill replied. "I'm hopeful, but one never knows with juries..."

At 2:00pm, Judge Folsom came in. "Be seated." he said. "Bring in the Jury." The Jury filed in. The Judge asked "Ladies and gentlemen of the Jury, have you reached a verdict?"

"We have, Your Honor." said the Foreman. He handed the folded document to the Bailiff, who brought it to the Judge. Folsom looked at it, then passed it to the Bailiff, who took it to the Court Reporter for recording and announcing the verdict.

"Would the Defendant please rise?" she said. Stanley Locklear and Michael Thomas McGill stood up. And like I did for the verdict in the Peter Dwayne Gordon case, I also stood up. (Author's note: 'Falsely Accused', Ch. 04-05.) This verdict would not affect my life like that one did, but I wanted to make it clear to Savannah Fineman and Miriam Walters where I stood. It was also why I wore civilian clothes.

Somewhat to my surprise, Paulina also stood up, and Fineman and Walters both noticed. They had not stood up, but upon seeing us rise, Savannah Fineman did also. Miriam remained seated.

The Court Reporter read the result: "We the Jury find the Defendant in Count 1 of the indictment..."

To be continued.

Guilty or Not Guilty? You make the call...