Purely Sinful

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"We shall see," Uriel snorted.

The two Aspects paced back to their respective sides. "Is this how humanity's fate is to be decided?" Cole wondered. "One big Heaven-versus-Hell pissing contest?"

Cole watched from afar as each battle unfolded. The first angel, chosen by the Aspect of Courage, struck down the champions of Pride and Gluttony before falling to Envy. Envy and Greed were killed by Fortitude. Fortitude and Kindness fell to Wrath. Wrath and Justice killed each other. Sloth was then smote by Hope.

All that remained on Hell's side was Asmodeus' champion.

"Our victory is at hand!" said the shorter but stout angel known as the Aspect of Hope. "They have but one champion and we have three. They cannot hope to win now."

Uriel turned to the angel. "Don't be so sure, Ramiel. Look at Asmodeus. He isn't the least bit worried. Tell your champion to be on his guard."

With a wide smirk across his face, Asmodeus rose his hand high above him with a clenched fist.

"The other champions of Hell were nothing but fodder. Meet the face of your demise, angels! Meet my champion: Zafira!"

A dark purple gateway appeared in front of Asmodeus, one that Cole was very familiar with by now. Out stepped Zafira, but she was... different. She hovered a long foot off the ground, levitated by flapping wings. Unlike the other demon champions, she wore no armor, instead opting for thigh high boots, a black leather teddy that covered her front and little else, and leather gloves extending all the way to her elbows.

A dark aura swirled around her body like some kind of magical barrier. Her cold eyes, the darkest of eyes, pierced the heart of anyone who dare gaze upon her, leaving them trembling despite her flawless beauty. The 'good' Cole had seen in Zafira before was mysteriously absent.

She was evil in it's purest form.

"A succubus?" Ramiel said. "That is what you're being so arrogant about? Their powers have no hold over angels, and they're not very combat proficient either."

"No matter," the archangel smiled, "this will be an easy victory for us. Go, my champion! Strike her down as you did the last one!"

"It shall be done," the heavily armored angel said. He carried a spear twice the length of a normal man, black with blood from his last opponent.

Zafira's wings carried her to the battlefield as her angel opponent stepped forward. She appeared calm and collected, unfazed by the brute angel three times her size.

"Prepare to meet your end, demon!" the angel declared, taking a defensive position with his spear pointed outward.

An evil smile stretched across Zafira's face. Gracefully, the tips of her boots touched the ground, her wings folding behind her. With a clenched fist, she drew in massive amounts of arcane power, surrounding her body in a violent torrent of energy.

Focusing the power into her hand, she hurled a massive ball of energy at the angel at blinding speed. Unable to react in time, the angel's body exploded, decorating the ground in a mess of torn body parts and bright white blood.

"Such power!" Uriel gasped.

Asmodeus laughed maniacally. "Fools! She has consumed more pure souls than even I thought possible. The magical power that flows through her body rivals that of a God, one who obeys my will!"

Cole did not understand. She had consumed pure souls? How was that possible? Zafira said those with a pure soul were immune to the powers of a succubus. What was going on?

Godly or not, Uriel was determined to end this conflict. "Go, my champion. Be prepared for anything. Find her weakness and exploit it."

"I shall not fail, my lord."

Uriel's champion was much smaller than Ramiel's and was armed with only a golden scepter with a large diamond ornament radiating arcane power. His ivory wings protruded from the back of his golden robes as he stepped forward to face Zafira.

The angel wasted no time with formalities or chivalry. He pointed his scepter at her and fired a massive beam of blinding light.

She merely stood in place. Her hand deflected Heaven's magic as if she was shading her eyes from a gentle ray of sunlight.

Focusing more power into his scepter, the angel fired again, releasing a larger beam that tore at the ground along its path.

Again her hand blocked the angel's onslaught without so much as moving an inch.

Uriel's champion was weakened; he had expended most of his energy on that last spell. "It's not... possible!" he breathed, trying desperately to recuperate.

Zafira was not about to give him the chance.

She teleported to the hobbled angel and swiftly kicked the scepter from his grasp. Her hand grabbed his neck and she raised him over her head. The angel vainly struggled to free himself from her grip, a grip which not only deprived him of air but also drained him of all energy. He flapped his wings in hope of escape into the sky. But she would not budge; she seemed firmly anchored to the ground.

She relished in the angel's agony, her cold eyes peering into his as each trickle of life escaped his body.

Her strangulating hold around his throat eventually won. His complexion turned dark. His body went limp. With a triumphant smile she shucked the angel's lifeless body off to the side like he was nothing but litter.

"Hahaha!" Asmodeus boasted. "You angels are worthless against her! Once she hs finished your last champion, she will be coming for you, Uriel!"

"You dare threaten us beyond the terms of our agreement?"

"I do indeed! Let me show you how serious I am!"

The arch-demon turned his gaze toward Zafira and nodded. Zafira bowed her head in acknowledgment of his command and created a small dimensional portal above her head. Her hand reached inside and extracted a sword with a twisted crimson blade.

Cole recognized that sword. It was the one hanging on a pedestal in Zafira's lair. The one named-

"Ragnarok!?" Uriel shouted as the other angels took a step backward. "Have you gone mad?! That cursed blade was never meant to be wielded by anyone! It could destroy reality itself if its power is ever released! All of existence would become non-existence, don't you see that?!"

A female angel of stunning beauty put her hand on Uriel's shoulder. "Do not let him get to you, Uriel. I sense something... off about that succubus. Do you not sense it too?"

Uriel contemplated her words and focused his thoughts on the demon who could be their demise. "Its... faint. Do you know what that is, Sophia?"

The Aspect of Love smiled. "I do. I think I know how to handle this. Allow my champion to fight."

"Very well. Our fate is in your hands."

An angel stepped forward, prepared for battle.

"Not you," Sophia dismissed the hulking angel. "You."

She pointed to a younger angel standing behind the rest. His sword and shield looked to be made of sparkling diamond. He adjusted his armaments and stepped forward.

Simon? No. But he certainly looked like Simon, except for the scar that ran across his left eye.

Wait -- that was Christoph, Simon's twin brother who was killed by demons! His soul must have evolved into an angel after his death!

Christoph the angel walked to the battlefield. His sword was drawn and his shield steady. "Have at you, demon!"

The sinister smile Zafira had worn all this time disappeared. Something stirred inside her, momentarily diverting her attention.

Christoph swung his sword; Zafira barely dodged the swift blow. She held the cursed sword in defense and parried his every strike. Cole noticed several opportunities for Zafira to strike back, yet she remained on the defensive.

Christoph tried a new strategy. Leaping high, he slashed at the air, sending waves of deadly magical light down at Zafira. Her wings quickly propelled her aloft to avoid the barrage that ravaged the ground where she had stood.

The fight resumed in the air, swords clashing together, torrents of magic blasting at one another. Neither side gave way.

They met head on. Their cold blades and hot eyes tangled together.

Zafira unexpectedly backed off; Christoph's sword whiffed inches in front of her. He was caught off balance. Zafira delivered a kick to his chest that hurled him toward the ground.

She arrowed toward him; their bodies plummeted to earth like a meteorite. They landed with a massive impact, shaking the landscape, blanketing them in a thick cloud of dust.

The dusty air settled. Christoph was pinned to the ground, his sword fallen from his hand. Zafira pointed Ragnarok at his throat, ready to claim his life.

"Finish him, Zafira!" Asmodeus commanded.

She hesitated, lost in the eyes of the angel beneath her who had accepted defeat. Her hands shook. She struggled against herself. Seeing the face of her former love, or rather someone who looked identical to her former love, had summoned forth what was left of her humanity.

A tear escaped her eye. "I can't."

"You what?!" Asmodeus bellowed.

Zafira stood off Christoph, tossing Ragnarok to the ground. "I can't kill him."

"You dare disobey me?!"

Zafira gave no reply. She dropped to her knees, surrendering.

Christoph gripped his sword and rose to his feet. He warily approached his opponent, his blade pointing down at her. "Why?"

"I don't know. Something inside me won't let me kill you."

"Now Christoph! Strike her down!" Ramiel shouted.

Christoph lowered his blade. "I cannot take the life of one who has already surrendered."

Uriel chuckled. "It seems we have a stalemate, Asmodeus,"

Humiliation fueled Asmodeus' rage. No one made a fool of him, especially not one of his own! He formulated a twisted idea to punish Zafira for her disobedience.

Dashing to Zafira in an eye-blink, Asmodeus kicked Christoph off his feet and through the air, sending his body crashing against solid rock.

Asmodeus swiftly turned on Zafira. He gripped her throat, her feet dangling off the ground. "You disappoint me. I did not create you so you could show compassion for the angels; I created you to destroy them!"

Zafira squirmed, trying to regain breath.

"You've failed me, and for that, I have a fitting punishment for you."

A blue sapphire sphere appeared in Asmodeus' free hand. He plunged his hand into her stomach, leaving the orb inside her. A bright blue light flashed from the opening. Zafira screamed. The dazzle dissipated.

The arch-demon released his grip. Zafira fell to the ground; black blood gushed from her midsection. She seemed unconcerned with the bleeding; instead, she stared at her hands and screamed.

"I... I couldn't have... No!"

A satisfied smirk appeared on Asmodeus' face. "That's right. I promised to spare your village. I never promised to save them from you! Now that I've returned your soul to you, your conscience has returned. You can remember every single soul you took, including your precious Simon."

Zafira screamed with the realization. She had devoured Simon's soul, and everyone else from her village. It was Simon's soul that kept her from killing Christoph, the angel. Somehow, his essence was the only thing that clung to what was left of her humanity, trying desperately to save her from herself.

Anger quickly replaced remorse. Zafira snatched-up the cursed sword Ragnarok and lunged at Asmodeus.

He readily subdued her. His dark powers held her in mid-air.

"As powerful as you may be, little girl, that doesn't change the fact I created you. That means, your abilities are powerless against me!"

A swirling purple gateway appeared behind Zafira. "I hereby banish you to the mortal realm, where you will be forced to either feed on the mortals you feel so compassionate about, or slowly die of starvation. It will be amusing to see which you choose; but I'm certain the darkness within you will win. That is, if the angels don't hunt you down first."

Zafira glared at him with fiery red eyes. "I will make you pay for what you've done!"

Asmodeus laughed as he sent Zafira into the portal. "I'll look forward to your feeble attempt."

The portal quickly closed, trapping Zafira on the other side.

Cole could hardly believe all of this. Zafira, the succubus he has come to think of as his friend, once held the fate of humanity in the palm of her hand. By sparing someone who resembled her lover, she also spared us all. No. It was Simon who not only saved humanity from Zafira, but also Zafira from herself.

The migraine Cole felt in his apartment before being transported here returned. His ears rang; his vision blurred.

"Aargh!" he yelled as he dropped to his knees, holding his ears.

The earth shook. Cracks formed in the ground. Everything shattered once more, even the demons and angels that had gathered to decide humanity's fate.

Nothing remained but a black void and the pain in Cole's skull. His weightless body tumbled until pain claimed his consciousness.

CHAPTER 10

The Commissioner gave Captain Finnegan a hard time for handing the human trafficking case back to Cole, given what happened at the nightclub. But with the sudden disappearance of Frank Wallace three weeks ago, the captain really had no other options. No other capable detectives were available to handle such a high profile case.

It was a decision that paid off, big-time.

In the last two weeks, Cole managed to extort the names of several individuals involved in the sex trade organization from Clair. In exchange, he promised to prove her innocence if she cooperated -- and cooperate she did.

Each name led to the next in a long line of arrests involving police officers, lawyers, club owners, bankers, and countless henchmen. At the end of the trail was a single man: Tyler Simmons, a man long suspected of shady dealings, but with enough money and connections to bury anyone who opposed him.

Not this time. All of his money and influence fell woefully short in the face of insurmountable evidence against him. His only way out now was to cut a deal.

He was arrested, and the case had since been turned over to the FBI in hopes they could pressure him for information about human trafficking in other cities. The case was officially out of Cole's jurisdiction.

This was a big victory for the Chicago Police Department. The leader of the "Chicago Sex Trade" had been apprehended and Cole was at the center of the praise and admiration. Despite his early doubts, the commissioner offered him a promotion. He even got a call from the governor for a job well done.

Then why the hell did feel so empty inside?

The events that took place three weeks ago still haunted his mind. That was when Cole found out it was Frank who killed his wife. Every time he looked at the empty desk across the room his heart sank and his blood boiled.

How ironic it was that Cole was put in charge of investigating Frank's disappearance. It would be the only case in Cole's career that he would allow to 'go cold'." That is, unless he wanted to look crazy by putting "Frank Wallace was devoured by a succubus named Zafira" in his report.

Zafira, that sexy yet deadly succubus. The last he saw her, he remembered drinking too much that night, having an argument with her, then having a strange dream that felt like he was living in Zafira's past.

He had not heard from her since. He felt terrible for the things he said to her that night. When he was not chasing criminals the last three weeks, he was wondering if their relationship, whatever type of relationship they had, was over. Even though Maria's killer had been put to death, he figured he still had to bring her scumbags to feed on, as per their agreement.

The same feeling he felt when Maria died crept into his heart. Did she leave town after all? Did the Crusaders find her?

Did he... miss her?

"I have something for you, Detective Harvey."

Cole snapped out of his trance and turned his head to find Penny standing next to his desk. Her attire had gotten increasingly provocative since she lost her virginity. Today she wore a short black skirt and a deep V-neck top. The late Frank sure knew his stuff about virgins.

Why did everything have to remind him of that motherfucker today?

"What is it?" Cole asked, reaching for the unmarked manila envelope.

"How should I know? A dark haired woman dropped it off at the front desk. She asked that I hand it to you personally."

Dark haired? Could it...?

Cole shredded the envelope like it came with a prize. Unfolding the letter inside, he read it to himself.

< i>Willis Tower. Tonight at midnight. Don't be late. You know I hate waiting. -Z

His heart skipped a beat with the knowledge that Zafira was still in Chicago. The cryptic nature of the letter was a bit disconcerting though.

"Well, what is it?" Penny asked.

"Oh! Um. I've been assigned to work her case. Her... uh... husband went missing."

"I see. Well, I need to get back to the front desk."

Cole nodded. "I need to get going too. This letter just gave me a lead."

They walked toward the elevator. Once inside, Cole hit the button for the first floor then stood opposite of Penny.

"What do you think happened to Frank? Not that I miss him."

"I have no idea," Cole said. "Clair said he was associated with the sex trade along with the other cops we arrested. He probably skipped town, but we'll find him."

The elevator door opened and Cole rushed past Penny toward the exit. He wanted to avoid that awkward conversation entirely. "I'll catch you later," Cole said over his shoulder.

*****

Willis Tower. The tallest building in Chicago. Cole always marveled at how someone could build such a monstrosity of a building.

Cole did not want to be late for this appointment; he made sure to arrive early. He walked impatiently around the base of the building. Even this late at night, Chicago's downtown was so lively, full of passing cars and pedestrians.

Why did Zafira want to meet here?

Like that time in Grant Park, the suspense was killing him. He decided to stop his nervous pacing and plant himself at the main entrance. He looked at his watch; it was almost midnight.

Cole's eyes locked onto a woman in a long white gown striding along the sidewalk. The stunning woman had clearly dressed to impress. He realized who she was when she turned up the steps toward him.

She looked absolutely perfect. Her long white dress, with slits in the sides to mid-thigh, reached down to her six inch heels. The bust of her dress cupped her supple breasts to a proud display. Her long dark hair blew gently in the subtle breeze, her bangs occasionally brushing across her sparkling eyes.

"Hello, Cole," Zafira said with an inviting smile.

It took a moment for his brain to register her words. "Uh. Hi! You look terrific!"

"Thank you."

"So why are we here? I didn't know I was supposed to dress up."

Zafira stepped in close, putting her arms around his waist. "You'll see. You aren't afraid of heights are you?"

"No," he replied. "Why?"

Holding him tightly, she expanded her wings and launched into the air at terrific speed.

"Oh shi-i-it!" Cole yelled as he was jerked off his feet. The higher they flew, the more the cars on the roads below looked like glowing ants. "Don't look down, don't look down..." he repeated in his head.

He chose to look at Zafira instead. Her beautiful face almost diverted his mind enough to forget he was several hundred feet off the ground. She smiled at him, squeezing him in a tighter hug as they continued their ascent.

They reached the top of the skyscraper in mere seconds. She flapped her wings and gently landed on the roof. Cole's knees buckled a bit as his feet touched the solid surface.

"That was... fun as hell!" Cole praised, catching his breath.

Without a word, Zafira's heels clicked against the concrete, walking to the edge. Cole joined her at her side.