Red Swallow Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yes, I had a father. He died when I was just a kid."

Desiree pulled out a picture from her phone of a man with a young boy holding a fish. The resemblance was obvious as they both had big smiles.

"I don't remember too much. When I was 5 I became his lil fishing buddy. This picture is one thing I remember well. I caught my first fish and I was so happy about that."

"My parents died in an accident. I was 6. They were just crossing the street when they were hit by a drunk driver."

"So who raised you?" Trixie asked.

"My grandmother did."

"So you really didn't have any male influences growing up." Anastasya said it as a statement, not a question.

"No, it was just my grandmother and me. And she was sad of course, she lost her daughter and son in law and I guess that's when things changed for me too."

"Changed?"

"Yeah, I guess I was always a bit introverted but after they died it became something more. Later on I was diagnosed with social anxiety disorder. People just assumed I was shy, but I remember that I was always that way and nothing I did could seem to shake it."

"Until..." Anastasya prompted.

"My grandmother was the one who got me into Community Theater. She worked with my doctor to help me cope."

"You mentioned this before, Shakespeare, yes?"

"Yes. Gramma supported the arts and was a patron of our local theater groups. She had me try out for a lot of parts but I wasn't selected for any. I was too shy. It wasn't until I was about 13 or 14 at the time and tried out for the Shakespearean acting troupe that I had any success. I was young but my youth was seen as a plus for the troupe."

"How so?"

"In a traditional troupe the roles of women were given to young men since back in Shakespeare's time women weren't allowed to be actors."

"Once I was on stage, it actually worked because somehow when I pretended I was someone else I didn't have to be shy, I didn't feel shy. It wasn't me up there anymore; it was a character I was playing."

"Once we even held a fundraiser and we were all in costume to meet and greet the patrons and I was able o stay in character and interact with everyone. It was...wonderful." Dustin mused.

"But you told me of your auditions here in New York; your lack of success." Trixie asked.

"Yes. Back in Iowa I always played the female roles in plays; Shakespeare, like I told you. When I went on casting calls here in New York I was going for guy's roles and I had no idea how to act them."

"But they love you here." Trixie wanted to encourage Dustin as Desiree. Her singing was good for business and brought in crowds. Open mike nights were also more popular when patrons sang duets with Desiree.

"I guess." Desiree allowed

She sipped her wine and enjoyed the comfort of having friends. She hadn't ever had friends before and didn't really know how to act. Just be you, she thought...but being yourself, as Dustin, was wrong while being yourself, as Desiree, felt right!