Rise of the Star Ch. 00 - Prologue

Story Info
Another Morning in the Empire.
2k words
4.24
3k
3

Part 1 of the 9 part series

Updated 02/01/2024
Created 11/16/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

***

Author's Note: This is just a prologue to ease one into the events of the later chapters, a showcase of the empire at the time we start paying attention to them. Don't expect any sexual content YET, just a bit of exposition that will aid in what comes next.

***

It was the best of times, at least by the opinion of the majority. Tasha's hand-computer blared with the heavy metal alarm, urging her awake at the fresh hour of 7 AM. "Five more minutes" she thought, though it was never five more minutes, it could be another two hours or however long it took for her boss to call her and tease the woman about her habit of sleeping in. She reached over to turn it off before rolling to face the ceiling, eyes open and strength gathering to face the day. Not like there was much to do for now.

With a groan, the girl would slip out of bed, looking for the TV remote to start the thing. The news was on, as it was every day. News segments made better sense in the section before most left to work, not when they were supposed to be already there. She'd put the volume high enough while walking over to her kitchen to get coffee on the way. The girl barely heard the intro, but the rest of it drew her attention.

"...protests by the New Wave Community are underway after their previous demands were unmet. As a reminder, the New Wave Community have set themselves apart from the hierarchy, citing that their way of life was to not be subjugated by the will of others."

"At the time, an understandable act of defiance, but here they come asking for the things this departure will not get them."

That was the usual commentator. Tasha liked this news provider for that specific aspect. On the left of the desk that was displayed on the wide TV was a woman in her thirties, prim and proper if offering just a hint of sensuality. On the right was a man in his forties, a sharp suit and a friendly expression. Kenna Rogers provided exposition while Trevor Greene offered comments that often aligned with what most had in mind. This viewer was currently only a listener, having the volume up as she heard it from the kitchen. The kettle was loaded with coffee grounds and sugar, milk was poured into her mug and the thing set to boil. The naked woman had quite the figure... as her job's conditioning assured. Like most, she slept naked. The sheets and covers were suited for her practice.

"Security is on standby during their blocking of a major road, expecting violence to erupt. Currently, the group has eleven instances of resorting to violence to enforce their way."

"The weakest form of authority. Did they learn nothing in school? Take it from me, they're gonna get violent today as well."

"Perhaps. The group started employing these protests after services such as water, electricity, garbage collection, and several others were halted for non-payment. The group cites that these should be human rights and they hope to have their voice heard."

"Nothing's a right if you have to force someone to do it. But we have some more pleasant news, though only from the perspective of some."

"Most have voted this news to be pleasing. A security officer was gunned down during an unwarranted arrest. Local footage shows how a man lodged a very verbal complaint about their neighbors, citing that their dogs were neither contained nor safe for the children in the immediate area. The security officer seemed to experience some sort of power trip as they reacted to the shouts of the man by drawing their weapon and ordering their surrender. Eight bystanders then proceeded to draw their own weapons and open fire at the officer. They did not survive long enough for emergency medical services."

"Another failure of the Security Force to screen people with no moral compass. I understand that some of his colleagues are screaming about this. But the section chief of security praised the civilian response. Called it a good challenge to keep them in line."

Coffee was done. Through a couple of filters, the grounds would be reduced to but five percent of their previous volume. She was starting to wake up a bit more, enough to have an opinion. The TV was in the other room and Tasha wondered if they showed the scene of the guy getting shot. Every once in a while, some security officer with a pathetic ego thought they could order people to do anything and they had to be proven wrong with deadly force. Most still remember last month's massacre when it seemed like an entire town's security shared that quality and got into a fight with their own people. Bless the Grand Rule of allowing everyone guns. She had three hanging right by the door. The pistol, the slow and precise rifle and the one more suited to more targets in a short span of time.

The woman walked to her living room with mug in hand, still not getting dressed, but a bit more focused. Her couch welcomed that uncovered ass. Too cold now to enjoy it on the balcony. There was some interest in news these days... mostly because she might appear on them. Or at least... her job would. Oh, there it was. Tasha expected her phone to explode today.

"In several days, the Astorian Space Service will not just test their new FTL engine, but send forth our first exploratory vessel. The A.E.S. Genesis is set to depart in five days. Under the command of Chief Scientist Tasha Collins, the vessel will open new horizons. Once discoveries come through, further vessels are expected to go forward for exploitation and possibly... colonization. Spirits seem to be high about the matter.."

"Finally we can answer those concerns about running out of room on the planet. New Astoria's gotten a bit small for us. I hope they can find a world we can live on... or some sexy aliens."

Any excitement in her was gone already. They knew for months, they'd been training for months. These were the last days of enjoying "civilization" before it was years of being stuck in a ship with not as great food service. Today she might get some ramen.

But there was a bit of contemplation as the scientist looked out the window to consider the enormity of the actions they would do. Assuming they found another planet, another species... and who knows what else... their civilization would fundamentally change. Some said that about being able to much more casually go around the system with the first gravitic engines, the ones capable of sub-light speeds, but still immense ones. No other planet in the Outsider system was fit for colonization, but they had more resources to work with, and a bit more space to live in as the station orbiting the sun was turning into a second urban center.

"I don't think we'd find aliens this close. Or we'd have known them for a lot longer. Deep space observation suggests that we might have to go a ways before we even have a chance to find signs of other life." Sometimes the newscaster allowed herself conversation. It made good ratings. This is why people watched it.

"We sure came a long way from those first space stations that had no gravity. I tell you, the guys who made the gravitic engines keep getting more and more praise. Artificial gravity, FTL..."

"Don't forget the new uses in space-to-space munitions. We certainly will not forget the three warships that are standing ready in case of any trouble."

"A token force, but a force nonetheless. We had times when we couldn't even dream of fighting someone in space. Outsider bless our progress."

The Outsider did not do this, but he sure taught them how to do it. Questioning everything to the point where the secrets of the universe were cracked open one after another. Now it was time to venture out and see what secrets the great unknown had for them. Tasha was a bit annoyed that there was nothing sexual in the news. Oh well... not every day has something about sex.

"For more domestic and entertainment news, the new movie by Belleview Studios is set to premiere right about the same time as the FTL journey."

"A piece of shit movie." Tasha spoke as if it would matter. But she left her comment on the trailer. So many people agreed with her... that was nice.

"Ah, yes... another 'Outsider's Journey' movie of someone living in one of those authoritarian nightmares where some part of the population are slaves and another is reaping the benefits. It was a great concept ten years ago, but this is like their sixth movie with this theme. I could watch any of their last movies and not notice a difference."

"The Net seems to agree with you, Tim. 'Hansel' shows a world similar to our own where being unquestioning is seen as a virtue, where under the chains of tradition, progress stagnates. The intro shows the titular character asking his mother why she does not work, getting back the statement that women don't have to if they have a good man... and that he needs to grow up to be such a man for a woman."

"If my parents told me I have to grow up to work for someone just to get my dose of pussy, I think I'd have run away from home. Nice to know that in our enlightened society I can get it during our commercial break."

"Or you can wait after and I can have more than five minutes of pleasure."

That was a tease from the woman. Like almost any anchors, they were fucking rather openly, but not in a relationship. Just casual work fuckbuddies, much like how Tasha was with a dozen of her own fellow scientists, some techies, some admins... her neighbors, her family... and whoever might catch her eye on a good day. Contraception through the roof for now, can't afford to get pregnant on this mission, but one day she can retire and get this back.

"Well, you know I'm good for it. But let's try to cover our subjects."

"Right. Polymatics, the great hardware manufacturers, have found themselves at the end of not just legal action, but a grand departure of customers. The company faces scrutiny for their decision to provide Security with footage from their customers' door cameras without any warrant for that material, footage that they obtained through their proprietary software. After this fact became public, most of their customers left for their competitors, opting to install new software on those cameras. The manufacturer is calling this an act of violation of their terms of service and is seeking to start their own legal dispute to penalize customers."

"I don't have to be a lawyer to tell you that the 682 Freedom of Hardware Act will have that idea fall on the floor. Customers have a right to do anything with their own things."

"Yes, but the manufacturer's contract stated that this was a 'loan' rather than a full transfer of ownership. No doubt this contract will also be invalidated in the proceedings."

"Hopefully, we can see them become a footnote. Or no note at all."

"And tomorrow will mark the occasion of 500 years since the second arrival. No need for any praising, you know the Outsider doesn't like it, but many celebrations have been organized to commemorate the god's return as the being we know."

"The end of the years of downfall under the republic, the union, and the alliance. I know I'm gonna celebrate it. What would we be today if the Outsider didn't come back to life to get us straight? No better than the worlds in those B-movies."

Oh, shit... that was tomorrow? Sounded like that was a day off for her... maybe? A day to enjoy before the woman was gone for who knows how many years in space. Better put in a good effort today. The last sips of coffee were consumed before she checked the time. Twenty minutes left. Plenty of time for rapid transit to get her to the center.

Just another day in the Astoria Empire.