Roderick and Gorlana Pt. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
coax_me
coax_me
379 Followers

Roderick looked at Gorlana and she nodded for him to speak first.

"I cannot say that I am sorry," he explained levelly. "To say that I feel sorrowful or remorseful for what has now happened would be an outright lie. I am regretful that I lied to you though, that I felt I had no choice but to lie, through omission at least, for so long. But, the truth is, I have been in love with Gorlana for a long time. Likely longer than any of you imagine. In an ideal world I might have been able to confess that to you, but until recently I had not believed that love would ever come to full fruition. Now that it has, I find it hard to regret whatever path has finally brought us here. I can only hope you understand that, and hope that you can forgive me for whatever embarrassment or pain that this has caused you. I know we have likely threatened the peace and stability of our realms, and I will stand here hoping that peace can still be possible, but only if she remains by my side."

Valessa kept a flat face, but with seemingly more effort as he spoke, and replied sharply, "And, what of your orcish blood?"

He narrowed his eyes, "It is true, as I am sure you're now aware. I am one eighth orc, by my great grandmother, who may have been of the Vauroq clan."

Some of the orcs stirred and whispered as he said this, and Valessa shot them a sour look to keep quiet.

She turned back to Roderick with outright anger now, "You kept this a secret, and we were nearly married. Will you not apologize for this unthinkable deception as well?"

Roderick met her stare with much less sympathy and said, "I am sorry that you have been...dishonoured by this as well."

She stared, seeming unsatisfied, but finally turned her eyes to Gorlana, "And you?"

Gorlana met her glare with a matching confidence, "I trust that my kin have explained the nature of our Rutt. Thus, I can only say that I held myself back from claiming him for as long as I could. But, he was no less mine, and I his. We will be, to our dying breath. You have no power to change this, and never did. Nor have they. But, I WILL give up my country for him. My freedom. My life. For him. Should it come to that." She squeezed his hand pulling him close beside her and breathing deeply.

Valessa stared for another long silence.

"Understood," she said.

Suddenly Zurgana spoke loudly, "And what of your dishonour of the duel? Your sullying of Talbidagar?"

Valessa frowned in annoyance at the intrusion, but turned back to Gorlana in interest.

Gorlana twisted her head over her shoulder and replied, "My country. My freedom. My life... and my honour, for him. Should it come to that."

There was a heavy silence, before Valessa pulled back her shoulders and cleared her throat.

"Very well then. Are you satisfied that you have spoken your piece?"

They nodded.

Valessa, maintaining a strict set to her flawless face, brought her eyes to the orcs seated behind them, "Do we still agree and hold to our decisions?" she asked.

There was another long silence and when there was no response Valessa raised an eyebrow and intensified her vivid eyes with a seemingly dangerous curiosity before Faringoll, and finally Zurgana both replied.

"We do."

Roderick wasn't sure if she briefly looked disappointed at their response or simply annoyed at their hesitation, but she resumed her cold stare at him quickly enough.

"Then I will proclaim your fate," Valessa stated, somehow adopting an even more stiff regal stance, while she stared at the couple, and the hall hushed to a suspenseful silence.

Roderick did not move, other than to squeeze Gorlana's hand more tightly.

"Roderick of Highquarry. Gorlana of Orthanhall. By unanimous agreement of those present today, representing both of our countries, you are both hereby stripped of all rank, all titles of honour, all rights of citizenship, and any right to reside permanently, in either Andralia or Orthalia, indefinitely, from this moment forward."

No one moved or spoke. Roderick knew that he and Gorlana were the only ones in the room for whom this proclamation came as a surprise. They had obviously discussed and debated at length over the long days while they had Rutted, and none would now argue against it. He himself did not react in shock either though, and he sensed well enough that neither did Gorlana. Their tightly clasped hands pulled each other closer together as they faced Valessa, and their judgment. They turned to look at one another, and gave a bitter, soft smile, each knowing that their words had been true, that they would indeed face whatever fate came, together.

As they turned back to Valessa though, the princess seemed to resist continuing, and only stared, with tight lips, until the sound of a clearing throat broke the silence. Valessa gave an annoyed glance, and then an almost petulant nod when another, louder cough and throat-clearing made her resume.

"Instead..." she said, sighing and closing her eyes for a moment, then lowering her shoulders in resignation, "By the magnanimous and merciful decision of this hall, born of careful reasoned consideration, and selfless regard for the stability and future peace and prosperity of all lands involved..." she glanced over top of them at the orcs seated opposite her, "And, pending the approval of Iringoll and the Orthalian high-chieftains not present..." Valessa paused again, seeming either reluctant or nervous about saying what she was about to say.

Roderick cocked his head and frowned in confusion.

Valessa tore her eyes away from him and set her feet, then she spoke as if speaking even to those beyond the hall, "We proclaim you, King Roderick, and Queen Gorlana of the new alpine realm of Rampartia."

Roderick stepped backwards in shock and wasn't sure if Gorlana's grasp wasn't the only thing that kept him from falling. He furrowed his brow with an incredulous shake of his head and spun to look to Gorlana, who shared his confusion and wonder, if not as intensely. He turned behind him to look over the orcs and humans seated around the floor.

Most of the Andralians were nodding to him with respectful recognition, the worst were only set with a resigned or solemn acceptance, but some even smiling proudly. Of the orcs, Zurgana stood tall and strong with crossed arms, but her frown had a respect behind it. Torvrul matched her with a stiff, but honourable agreement. Faringoll had a wide serene smile, holding Yendell close with a giggle at their surprise. Carthala gave a familiar smirk, and a shake of her head, as if seeing two mischievous friends narrowly avoiding trouble. Roderick turned back to Valessa, who also regarded him with a smirk, though more begrudgingly, as if a competitor had won a game of strategy through pure luck.

"Congratulations... Your highnesses," the princess said, as if leading them by hand through their realization.

"Rampartia?" Roderick finally blurted out. "What are you talking about?"

Valessa looked over their shoulder again and said, "Step forward then."

Roderick and Gorlana turned to her gaze and then stepped back as Korboq, Dabirra, Nardill and the Southern Orthalian delegation, followed by Yendell, Faringoll and the Fringeland delegation, came down on to the floor. They proceeded to line up shoulder to shoulder, and kneel in honour. They did not kneel towards Valessa.

The princess continued, "The provinces of Fringeland and Southern Orthalia shall be combined to form the new kingdom of Rampartia. Both of our realms have also agreed to bestow upon you the sparsely populated northern Orthalian ranges and the Andralian Screes as well. Thus Rampartia, will roughly comprise the entire range and foothills of the Rampart mountains that lie between Andralia and Orthalia."

Roderick simply stared, mouthing the word 'Rampartia' in disbelief.

Korboq met his eyes and smiled, "We can talk about the name later, if you want, but we thought it worked."

"Professor, is your map prepared?" Valessa asked, turning to her left.

"As much as I was able to, your highness," the Sage Beleros replied, and shuffled forward, unravelling a map with assistance from Fenwick.

They revealed a map of Andralia and Orthalia, with new drawn lines at the eastern and western edges of Fringeland and Southern Orthalia, curving irregularly northward to encompass the northern Orthalian foothills and the Andralian screes. A wide, slightly snaking vertical area, tilted somewhat from southeast to northwest, followed the path of the Rampart range in its center. It was significantly smaller than either of what remained of Andralia and Orthalia, but not as narrow as he might have guessed. More importantly, it was plainly a buffer between them both. Roderick narrowed his eyes studying it, but smiled and felt a shudder as it suddenly seemed to become real.

Gorlana's claws dug in to his hand as her lips went to his ear, "Those northern foothills contain the old Vauroq holds," she whispered and he turned to meet her eyes, seeing an excited pride in her that moved his heart.

Valessa continued, "We accept this annexation of lands, with the understanding that our two countries and cultures have already begun to combine, but are not yet prepared to fully do so. It will be a realm where orcs and humans are free and open to intermix... however they choose. Those who wish to stay or go, or move between however they wish will be of course free to do so. Though Andralia reassures its citizens that the war-time decrees regarding those of orcish blood will not be fully reinstated. And, Orthalia will likewise strive to improve their tolerance, at least somewhat, to any humans who may find themselves there."

She looked upwards to the Orthalians who nodded in confirmation.

"In that spirit as well, this is agreed upon only with the assurance of the free flow of trade between our nations, and a promise of mutual protection and military support from outside threats. Sworn and signed upon what will be known as the Triumvirate Pact."

Roderick and Gorlana looked around them in awe, as all nodded, stomped in approval and called out words of proud support, both human and orcish alike.

"I am told that it is unlikely that any orc will challenge Iringoll as the heir to the Goathorn chair now, and that she will very likely see the wisdom in this treaty and agree to it as a whole. The specific details of any of this are still to be whittled down and you will have some say in it of course before the signatures are set... but keep in mind it has taken three days of careful deliberation to come to this agreement with all parties remaining peaceful and reasonably satisfied," Valessa continued. "So, considering this, we require an answer here and now. Are you willing to accept?"

They continued to look around, still barely able to believe their eyes and ears.

When they didn't reply right away Yendell chortled, "You didn't think you'd be gettin' out of this completely free of duty did you? We agreed you're both too fine of leaders for us to let you just stroll off into the sunset."

Roderick scoffed and shared a brotherly smile with him. Gorlana saw Carthala gesture her head towards Yendell in agreement and shared a toothy smile with her. Then, Gorlana brought her hand up along Roderick's shoulder as he turned to her. They held each other by the nape of their necks and brought their foreheads together.

Valessa cleared her throat, asking again with a stronger hint of impatience, "Do you accept?"

They breathed in the scent of the other closely as their noses brushed together, and they each smiled, knowing their life-mate's shared feelings without words.

They broke from their embrace, turned towards the others, and replied in unison.

"We do."

...

2 days later,

The soldier's mess-hall echoed with talking, laughter and the music of a small band on a make-shift platform in the corner. The Andralian banners still hung obviously enough for anyone to be sure they were still in Andrapolis, but the orcs had placed torches along the walls, flanked with their dark curved swords hung on either side and arranged the tables in the style of an Orcish clan hall. They had even found a goat's head plaque to fasten high on the far wall. Gorlana looked around and smiled, thinking it was the perfect mix of human and orcish for their celebration.

It was technically the orcish celebration of their newly signed Triumvirate Pact, with the human celebration to happen in the royal ballroom tomorrow, but in this case it doubled as Roderick and Gorlana's celebration of their completed Rutt.

She gazed lovingly across the room at her handsome life-mate, and still felt a tearing need in her body to go to him and pull him into a dark corner somewhere. Even though their Rutt had achieved what it was meant to, and all agreed her smell was unmistakable that she was with child, with wagers and guesses from everyone as to how many, she knew their Rutt was really only waning, not completely finished. They had, with great effort, kept themselves to only four times yesterday, interspersed with the final meetings and signings of the pact. That unique intense pleasure that still came with every mating was something one's body and mind had to be weaned from, slowly. She hoped their carriage for their departure could indeed be refurbished how they requested.

Her fellow orcs surrounded her, drinking and laughing and proclaiming their pride and honour for her, as much for her Rutt as for her new title. Some were guarded in their words of the latter, not only for the imperfect compromise that their new nation represented to many of the Orthalians, but she suspected because many would see it as a demotion for her, perhaps one they thought she deserved. Queen of a much smaller, poorer, and likely unstable nation, at least at first. She did not see it this way though. It was like a dream she hadn't even consciously known she had wished for, come true before her eyes. She was nervous, in truth, of the mountain of work that would need to be done to build their new nation, but still felt like she could face anything this world could toss at her, as long as she had Roderick by her side.

Part of her almost still wished they could have been spirited away in secret, or exiled to some far off place, to live their life simply in isolation together, free of the politics and the grandiose, unending problems that any nation will always produce. This felt more fitting though. More honourable. Though she was already deciding that her, and orcish honour, would have much more of a guiding relationship than a dictating one, now.

That thought made her stare over towards her lover again, drinking and laughing with his companions, and made her think of all he had taught her, either inadvertently or otherwise, through their time knowing each other. Truths that she had resisted, painful as they were, her flaws, her country's flaws, much the same as Andralia had, and even Roderick himself, despite how perfect he seemed in her eyes now. The two of them would overcome, take the best of what they had to offer, and make something new and better. Not perfect, she knew, but something closer to it.

Her view was blocked suddenly, by the wide frame of a pale human bosom, lifted strongly and tightly by an orcish-patterned iron corset, worked with leather and fabric into the armoured-dress style that seemed to be becoming more popular.

Dabirra smiled nervously and started a curtsy, then wobbled as she remembered herself and turned it into a more orcish kneel, "Congratulations your highness," she said, and stood up, hesitating for a moment in concentration, then enunciated, "May the Gods of the earth bless you, your life-mate and your strong children to the end of your days."

Gorlana smiled reassuringly to her, obviously having carefully learned the recitation that all of the orcs had said to her throughout the night, and placed her hand on her shoulder, "You honour me with your words."

Dabirra smiled back and brought out a small offering just as the rest had done. It was a sprig of small flowers. "This, my Queen, is something called dill."

"Oh," Gorlana said, with a polite smile, "Thank you. It smells interesting. Oddly familiar in fact."

Dabirra gave a nod and an eager smile, "I have heard you have much the same predilection for pickled vegetables that my dear Korby does. This is a key part of the recipe... most of the time."

Gorlana laughed, "Yes! Thank you. And, thank you for the reminder, besides a few barrels of those, I had intended to leave with the recipe as well."

"Oh well I will have plenty of recipe books in my carts when I leave with you."

"Carts?" Gorlana asked, enunciating the plural of the word.

"Well yes. It sounds like only three can be spared for now, so I must be somewhat austere in my choices of wardrobe and belongings, but when we stop by my parents' estate on the way, I can likely add one or two more. Roderick has been trying to reassure me that Glenhold isn't nearly as untamed as I imagine it to be, but as a high-councilman's life-mate I don't want to set the precedent of seeming unthoughtful and unprepared."

Gorlana smirked and studied her, "You mean, one of the high-councilwomen."

Dabirra stammered, "I... beg your pardon?"

Gorlana shrugged, "I'll talk it over with Roderick and the others, but I'd doubt they'd disagree. I had more or less assumed you would hold such a seat, when it's YOU we have to thank for the entire idea of our nation after all."

Dabirra blushed, "Oh they keep putting that on me, but it was the group of us really. They kept saying 'if only we could find some middle ground' and I simply blurted out, well what if there was literally a middle ground... and then it was just a matter of all of us working it out once the obvious idea was out there. I was the one that presented it to the council only because they said I was the best-spoken among them and had the most experience at court."

Gorlana eyed her with a smile, "I've spoken with the Sage since it happened and I suspect you're downplaying it at least a little. Either way, I think I should be the one owing honour to you," she said with a humble nod of her head as Dabirra flashed a deep dimple in embarrassment. "On that note though, he told me that you had gone through the same schooling as Valessa, at the same time in fact."

Dabirra nodded and looked upward, "I did. Even got few higher marks on the tests than her from time to time, though she'd never tell you that."

Gorlana chuckled, "Indeed. Well I would think it foolish not to have an educated woman such as yourself at the Southern Orthalian council's table."

Dabirra's face remained red, "Well, I suppose. I had intended to set my mind to renovations and modernization of the Glenhold keep, and from what he's described to me that may be a full time job. But, I suppose, if Korby's okay with it... though I don't want to step in his way."

Gorlana shrugged, "I'm sure you could manage both, and he would be more than honoured. You know Orcs are mostly matriarchal when it comes to our high-chieftains and political seats. We'll discuss it at least."

Faringoll arrived with a fresh mug of ale and handed a warm cider to Gorlana.

"My Queen," she said, with a warm one-armed hug, "I was already proud to call you that before, but trust me, I am prouder now."

Gorlana smelled her honesty as she held her close, "You honour me, cousin." she replied, then cleared her throat and nodded in respect, "That is... my Duchess"

Faringoll giggled at the name and waggled her green shoulders, "Why thank you. So, Rampartia will continue to use the same title?"

"If you wish," Gorlana giggled with her, "When is your wedding happening by the way? I'm so happy for you two," Gorlana said.

"Oh well, Yendell said he doesn't want to detract from all of this," Faringoll explained, "For my part, I don't want all of this to detract from the wedding."

coax_me
coax_me
379 Followers