Roderick and Gorlana Pt. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Gorlana laughed, "I'm with you on this one. When, though?"

"As soon as we get to Fortspring," Faringoll said with a heavy excited breath. "I hope you don't mind if our travelling party makes haste.

Gorlana giggled, "As long as they've outfitted the mattresses in our wagon properly, a little more bumping around won't be a problem at all."

Faringoll gave a hearty laugh and a wink, "I can smell well enough that you're not yet fully come down from your Rutt. I could tell how hard it was for you two to keep your hands off each other over the last few days while we finalized this, and I'm grateful for your efforts. You can make up for it on the road though. There are some who have a second wave after a few days, though I swear I can smell four inside you already."

"Four?" Gorlana laughed and swatted her, "Why does everyone insist they can smell numbers? I'll be grateful enough for two. The most any of our bloodline has had in memory is six."

"How do you know what we can or can't smell?"

"Because everyone gives me a different answer," Gorlana argued, "If it could be sensed, then there would be some consistency."

Faringoll scoffed, "Fine," then softened her gaze," What I know for certain is I've never sensed you prouder or happier in all our lives," she said, with an endearing smile, and locking arms with her.

"Thank you cousin. I've regretted that we grew apart over the years. I intend to change that now."

Faringoll nodded, then bit her lip, "Back in Orthalia... I hadn't known I was helping Valessa steal anything more than a political prisoner from you. Had I known at the time... You must have hated me."

Gorlana tightened her lips and took a breath, but blinked slowly through the painful memory and reassured her, "I promise you it's all in the past, Faringoll. As you say, you didn't know, and could not have." Then she gave a bitter chuckle and shrugged, "At this point I can hardly fault someone for allying with humans. And, in the end... it brought us here." she shared a smile and nudged her, "and you would not have met Yendell."

Faringoll blushed and hugged her tightly.

"Do you have a dress yet?" Gorlana asked with interest.

Faringoll's brow furrowed, "I've already worn several human dresses, what do you mean?"

"A wedding dress. Roderick tried to insist we didn't need to have a human wedding but I've told him it will mean as much to me as it will to him, let alone his family. Apparently it involves a very specific type of dress."

Faringoll stomped her foot, "Dammit, Yendell! I asked him about clothing and he said it didn't matter! I get so lost in his handsome eyes it makes it hard to smell his honesty sometimes." She looked around anxiously then her eyebrows shot wide as she realized, "Dabirra!"

"Um, yes?" the woman turned back having drifted away from their conversation and sharing Faringoll's worry as she saw her face, "Is something wrong?"

Gorlana smirked at her concern and said, reassuringly, "Nothing too urgent, but Dabirra, I think we've just found you your first task. From what I've seen and heard from Korboq, I understand that you have some expertise in design and tailoring is that not so?"

"YES! What do you need?" she said excitedly.

"A wedding dress," Gorlana said.

"TWO wedding dresses," Faringoll added, with a hand on Gorlana's shoulder.

"Hers first, we haven't set a date yet." Gorlana chuckled.

Dabirra gasped, "Of COURSE!" It will be my honour, your highness.

As the two other women started excitedly discussing designs, Gorlana's eyes drifted back to Roderick. This time he met her eyes, and their smiles were triggered instantly. Somehow, despite everything, she still found herself blushing at his attention.

Zurgana's voice interrupted the moment, "Try not to mate with him in front of everyone tonight at least."

"Oh clamp your tusks," Carthala said, swatting her as she walked up alongside.

"What? Is the irony not lost on you that it was a very 'Rechlinger' thing to do?" Zurgana argued, "That's one thing about them that I will certainly not miss."

Carthala narrowed her eyes, "You're still just jealous of their Rutt, and that they got to embarrass the humans with it. Tell me if you were Rutting as she was that you would not have done the same, only you would have sliced through all of those in front of you with your sword."

Zurgana paused, then shrugged, "Fair enough."

Carthala gave Gorlana a familiar one-armed hug and took a swig of her ale, "A wondrous night, don't you think? Fitting for the Rutt celebration of a Queen."

Gorlana added, "And for the pact."

Carthala scoffed, "That's for tomorrow, we all know what this is." She giggled, and drank again.

Zurgana followed Gorlana's eyes to Roderick and looked back at her, "So he really is Vauroq? You're not just saying that to inflate his honour?"

Gorlana stood straighter and replied quietly, "It is far from proof, but I caught his grandmother singing the melody of The Red Stones. She did not know what it meant, but it was unmistakable. It was the only orcish song she knew from her mother."

Zurgana nodded, giving no more argument. "There may be others of the lost clan, scattered here and there that may seek out Rampartia now. You might ask them if they sense any familiarity in his scent."

Gorlana nodded, cautiously.

Zurgana set her jaw and slapped Gorlana in the shoulder, "But, he will be honoured as your country's king either way. We will not seek petty reasons to escape our agreements."

Gorlana returned a kindly smile, then perked her head up as she smelled him approaching before seeing him. Sure enough Roderick shouldered his way through the incessant hand shaking and shoulder slaps of the crowd around him to make his way to her. Carthala and Zurgana shared knowing smiles as he finally broke through and raised his mug to them briefly before embracing his arm around Gorlana, nuzzling her nose and giving her a kiss. Gorlana kept her arm from grabbing him too tightly, but felt the heat rise in her body at his touch and the tingle from his lips spread up into her hair, and she sighed as Carthala and Zurgana's expressions told her they knew.

"Is it time?" Zurgana asked, raising an eyebrow at Carthala.

Faringoll replied, having turned to them with Dabirra, "Absolutely. If we let their mating scent grow any stronger it will start to stain our clothing."

They all laughed, and when Gorlana saw them start to clear the people behind them from the nearest table, she knew what was coming.

Roderick looked at them and then back at her with concern, "I was actually hoping we might be able to leave the party for a... bit of a breather. But, I suppose we can wait for... whatever this is."

Gorlana giggled and pecked a kiss on his cute confused face and pulled him close, "We can tell what your intentions are, my weak-nosed love," she teased, "I agree. Our time at this party is done."

"But we all know your night isn't over," Carthala said with a wink. "Get him on here!"

Gorlana laughed, grabbed him, and jumped to throw both of them on to the table and the others immediately lifted it high. The two lovers held on tightly to the wobbling table and even more tightly to each other as the crowd around them cheered. The table was lifted over the crowd's heads, everyone helping to float it above them, lifting and laughing as a song of honour broke out for the new king and queen.

Gorlana held her human life-mate with a elation and pride like she'd never felt before, feeling tears in her eyes at the sight of the makeshift clan-hall around her. All the shame, all the fear of her human side, and her love of a human man, felt truly and fully washed away. Her kin saw her, as she truly was, and sang openly and proudly in honour of her love for him. As the song finished, she turned to him and they shared a deep passionate kiss as the crowd cheered. She tasted the same pride on his breath, and nearly wept at the feeling. They waved and smiled, and with a final cheer from their friends, they escaped into the night, and into each other's arms.

...

"Hello?"

Roderick closed the gate and frowned as he entered the princess' private gardens, not seeing her at first. He walked along the curved stone pathway and finally found her, illuminated by a beam of the late morning sun.

Valessa looked as perfect as the manicured gardens around her, even from behind. The tight curve of her lower back and buttocks under the thin smooth dress seemed crafted to draw the eyes and desire of any warm-blooded man. Roderick's eyes were drawn, he'd admit, and though he could appreciate her beauty, it did not warm his blood.

"Come in," she called back, the hint of ice in her otherwise cordial greeting made plain by her not turning to face him.

As he approached he realized she had a pair of small pruning scissors in one hand. He stood several steps back and to the side of her, waiting for her to turn her attention from the round leafy tree in front of her, but she never did.

"We are alone, as you requested," she said softly, carefully snipping a small twig.

Roderick glanced down at the bear, eyeing him for a moment, then closing its eyes again, sleeping in the shade on the other side of her.

He struggled for what to say, off-put by speaking only to her shoulder, "I just... thought we should have at least one private conversation before I go tomorrow."

She was silent for a moment, snipping another leaf, then asked, "And, what is it that was so important to tell me in private? Have you not been honest with what you have said thus far?"

Roderick sighed, "I have. But, I thought I owed you more of an explanation than what you've received so far," he said, staring at her unturning head, "There's something you don't know... that few other people know." Roderick set his feet and then continued, choosing to look away from her as well, as he spoke, "When I said that I had been in love with her for a long time... it was years ago, long before I met you, back when I was a rookie soldier, barely old enough to join the army. She wasn't even allied. We fought on the outskirts of a battle, got separated from them and... we realized we had more in common than we thought. At the time I hadn't even realized it, but we ended up triggering the start of our Rutt, except that we were separated again when it started and it couldn't... come to fruition. It was harder on her than me, but it left its mark."

Valessa frowned, "I had done my research on her. They said that she had been damaged so to speak by a failed Rutt when her mate was killed in battle. Obviously I received inaccurate information."

"Even the orcs all thought that was the truth until now. Her orcish mate at the time had never brought her close to Rutt though. What really happened was that I killed him. Then she rutted for me."

Valessa finally turned to look at him, stifling a gasp and he saw the side of her bosom rise with a shudder. She studied him and he wasn't sure if she saw fear, or perhaps even cautious admiration in her vivid eyes. Then she reached up to him, placing a delicate hand on his neck. The goosebumps on her pale bosom might have made another man's knees buckle but his were locked stiffly. She traced her hand up his neck to his wide jaw, and then to his ear. He gulped as she slid her fingers behind it and unfolded the hidden orcish point.

She snapped her hand back as if she had touched a snake, and hugged herself, continuing to stare at him with tight lips. Her face seemed to try to remain stoic but her moistening eyes gave too much away.

Roderick looked away and said, "I'm sorry I hid so much from you. I've hid so much all my life it seemed like hardly anything new. Though, I don't know where I'd be if I hadn't."

Valessa looked distantly and replied quietly, "I have not been without my secrets. Many of them necessary enough, I suppose."

Roderick let the comment be, and asked, "Do you hate me? For what happened? And, how it happened?"

Valessa turned fully back to her tree, then asked, "Do you hate me? For willingly giving you up to your death?"

Neither answered.

"Can we still trust each other? With what we've been through? To treat fairly, and remain peaceful?"

Valessa scoffed, "You think I need to LIKE someone to sign a treaty and stick to it?"

Roderick gave a single bitter chuckle and shook his head, then asked, "What about respect?"

Valessa twisted her jaw and then turned just enough to eye him, "Do you remember when we first met? You, an unkempt general, and I likely coming across as a self-absorbed over-pampered princess?"

Roderick nodded and a smile escaped despite himself.

"I thought we both found a respect for each other that day. Two different people, but with like minds, committing to try to put the insults of the past, and our nation's stubborn pride aside, and act with reason and restraint to strive for peace with our mutual enemy. Was I correct?"

"You were," he agreed.

"Has that changed?" she asked.

Roderick looked at her and answered honestly, "No."

Valessa sighed, then snipped a larger branch from the tree, watching it fall to the ground, "Fringeland and Southern Orthalia are your problem now. I hope you have a better idea of what to do with them than we did."

Roderick raised an eyebrow, "Just like that?"

Valessa replied more coldly, "You will soon learn that being the monarch of a nation does not grant one endless choices. Too many times there are few, or simply none at all. The alternative appeared likely to be a full-on revolt from Fringeland and Southern Orthalia together, with the Rechlingers' inevitable retribution from the north, we and a disaffected Orthalia on either side... If you think we made history here, THAT kind of chaos and destruction would have never been forgotten by whomever was left standing."

Roderick nodded grimly. "Then I thank you for your wisdom."

Valessa replied, "And, I suppose I should thank you, for stopping us from entering into a scandalous sham of a marriage."

Roderick clenched his jaw and breathed out ignoring the acid her voice, thinking of the place of hurt that it came from, then relaxing, staring with regret at the back of her neck and tender shoulder, he said gently, "I did truly have feelings for you. Even though her memory still stung. I did honestly care for you, and would have tried to make a happy life together. It wasn't just for opportunity, or political gain."

Valessa stood motionless, and she did not turn, but her voice croaked when she replied, "I would say the same." Then she turned, revealing the tears in her eyes, but eyeing him up and down as if he were a different person, "But it was doomed. Either way, it was doomed. We are both far better off now."

Roderick fought back his own tears and gave the slightest of nods. It was the first time since his Rutt that he had felt a hint of that familiar shame at his orcish blood, as her eyes seemed to absorb that outed secret.

She stood tall and regal despite the tears in her eyes, and asked, "Is there anything else you needed to say."

"No. Other than... Will you also see Gorlana? She wished to have brief words in private with you as well. Though I don't know what she will ask or say exactly."

She nodded, "I had hoped as much. Please have her see me."

He stifled a brief confused surprise, and simply replied levelly, "Thank you."

She nodded back with a gulp. "I will see you at the farewell ball tonight then."

He turned and left.

...

Later that day, Valessa stood formally and respectfully, as Gorlana entered the gardens. She faced her and met her eyes with her full attention, hands empty and clasped in front of her. Her face was not cold or hard, but seemed settled and serene. Gorlana knew that the princess was one of the best at keeping her feelings from her face and words, having smelled the dissonance of it in other encounters, but there was none now. As she stopped a few feet in front of her, she detected perhaps some trepidation, but there was not the resentment she had expected.

"Thank you for coming to see me," Valessa said quietly.

Gorlana frowned, "It was I who requested-... did Roderick not...?"

"He did, but I was going to summon you anyway."

Gorlana nodded and waited carefully for her to continue.

"I cannot smell feelings as you can, but I am keen enough to see that most of the others think that ongoing animosity between you and I will be the thing to undo this pact, if anything does, in the future," Valessa said. "Would you agree?"

"I agree they think it, but..." she studied the princess and continued, "I would not be certain it needs to be true."

Valessa sighed and nodded with an almost regretful look, "I truly do not wish it to be."

Gorlana eyed her, "Traulch was a male, and a Rechlinger besides, but his reaction to one's mate, Rutting unexpectedly with another, would have been mirrored by most orcish women. Humans are different I know... but not that different."

Valessa tightened her mouth and looked away for a moment then said, "I do not deny, this week has been a whirlwind of emotions for me. More than I could absorb at times. A large part of me wanted my vengeance, I admit, in some way shape or form. The last few days, however, have made me solidify in my mind who and what I am, and what I stand for. I promise you there is no secret revenge hidden in this pact, or in how it will play out."

Gorlana breathed in as she paused, realizing she had likely waited so Gorlana could sniff any lie on her breath. There was none.

"Do not mistake me," Valessa continued, "I do not expect us to become friends or even to be fond of each other, but I will concede a begrudging respect, and a willingness to treat fairly and honestly, one capable and reliable queen, to another."

Gorlana nodded with a cautious thanks.

Valessa saw her remaining doubt and added, "You were willing to give up the world, your world at least, for him. I would not. I still would not, even in hindsight. I would be a foolish leader to hold animosity over a battle for which I clearly stood no chance, and for a prize that was not what I thought it to be."

"I understand. And I truly am grateful, for your understanding," Gorlana said honestly, admitting to herself that she was running out of reasons for suspicion.

"As long as you keep my border secure, and leave me free to rule a pure and simple Andralia in peace," Valessa added.

Gorlana nodded, "Once we combine our efforts to the north and put the Rechlingers in their place, that will be a sure thing."

"Indeed," Valessa agreed, then continued with a more pressured tone, "As for our previous agreement. Chasdon's death has been ruled a suicide. You remain the only one to know the truth. I would say that I more than held up my end of the bargain in my generosity to you with these negotiations, in the end. Would you not agree?"

Gorlana frowned, but nodded.

"Then will you take the secret to your grave?"

Gorlana stared at her for a long time, seeing a rational woman, but a cold and calculating one at that, she stepped almost uncomfortably close, looming over her and said, "Answer one question for me."

Valessa's placid face belied the nervous scent she emanated now, and Gorlana flared her nostrils to attune herself to it.

"Did you, or any Andralian that you know of, have anything to do with Malgora's death?"

Valessa stood tall, staring with confidence now towards her delving breath, and said, "No. I swear to you, I did not."

Gorlana found no hint of any lie.

Valessa continued, "The death of your aunt put my life in jeopardy more than almost any other event ever has. Though my anger at it surely pales in comparison to yours, when I finally returned here I demanded that the Sages make a thorough investigation into it, and whether there was any chance she could have been poisoned. Their alchemists guild keeps an almost obsessive record of which certified pure poisons are sent where, and I set the head guards' investigator to delve into a few individuals who might have had motive. Nothing plausible was found. There have been no rogue alchemists known in the realm in over two years. Any poison that would be pure enough to mimic her dying symptoms and not have an obvious tell, would have been near impossible for a unguilded meddler to make. I know it does not make it impossible, but unfortunately, she was old, and in worsening health, and sometimes untimely tragedies simply happen."