Roderick and Gorlana Pt. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Still no lies.

"I understand." Gorlana nodded, "Thank you." She fought back a tear, and stepped back to regard the princess with a similar begrudging respect and said, "I will honour our words and our promises to each other, your highness."

"As will I, your highness," Valessa replied.

With one last long stare of cautiously growing trust, they each turned and departed.

...

Roderick stood in front of the professor's office door, just as he had more than a year ago, and thought back to that chance encounter, wandering in like a fool, and it struck him how much he had changed since then. This time he knocked.

He rolled his eyes at the silence and knocked again.

"Office hours are over and I'm quite busy," the Sage called out in annoyance.

"Oh well that's fine, I'll just come back some other year," Roderick said.

He heard a scrambling as he turned from the door with a smile.

"Come in, come in damn you," the Sage called out in annoyance and Roderick turned around and entered, chuckling and giving Beleros a friendly hug.

"One way I know you're not a king yet in truth is that you haven't learned to set appointments or at least send servants ahead to prepare your subjects for your arrival."

"Yeah, what can I say, I still have a lot to learn," he shrugged.

"Well, I suppose knowing what you don't' know is wisdom that some with your title unfortunately lack, I'll admit."

Roderick smirked as they walked together to his desk, "It's gonna be a steep learning curve I know, but hopefully I'll have the time to read, not just books but hopefully letters of advice from certain wise mentors...?"

"As often as I can, friend," Beleros said with a more reassuring smile, "Though it sounds as though Gorlana has requested more books than you could read in a lifetime. We've given what spare copies we have of some of them, but the apprentices will have to get used to copying duty far more often over the next few months."

"She's insisted on libraries as large as possible in both Fortspring and Glenhold," Roderick laughed sitting down next to the desk, "She almost seems more hung up on them having as tall of shelves as the one here, than the actual amount of books or information."

"Pfft, I hate the damn things. Born out of necessity only. It makes far more sense to grow a library out rather than up," the old man complained.

"Well either way it'll be a start," Roderick said, "Do you know of Sages in particular who might be willing to start an alchemists laboratory? Mainly to support the Fortspring hospital, but... eventually it would be a step towards a, um..."

Beleros smiled. "You're the King of Rampartia, Roderick. Make your demands."

Roderick chuckled, "I would like to... request a report on the feasibility of a small Sage's college in Fortspring. Associated with your own, even as an introductory school with graduates moving on to finish their final years here..." he stopped as the Sage waved his hands, but with a smile.

"No need to diminish it. As long as it can be funded..."

"As much as I'm able," Roderick reassured him.

"Then there's no reason for your nation not to have at least one such college. If you wish it to be a branch of ours, then so be it, perhaps at first, but there's no reason for it not be its own full fledged college eventually. Leave it to me. I will petition the University in Parabolis, with a basic outline and request for support in principle. It will take some time for the letter to make it there and back, but I don't foresee a problem. They will send a list of requirements. That should be enough for you to get started on building it, and when the time comes their council will simply start the standard accreditation process."

Roderick nodded and smiled, "Thank you. Though..." he hesitated nervously again despite himself, "I want admission to... I need them to understand that I will insist on admissions being open to both humans and orcs."

The professor stared at him with a flat face.

Roderick set his feet and continued boldly, "Look, if you need ME to be the one to demand it, then so be it, but it's something I won't budge on. I want admissions open to all. If it means losing university association and being our own independent, or rogue institution, then fine, but..." he stopped seeing the professor starting to shake in silent laughter. Roderick bristled in irritation, "Beleros it's not a laughable idea. I've lived among these orcs for years, and I..."

"Still act like such a damned Andralian sometimes, despite it," the professor blurted out.

"What do you mean?"

"Roderick. College admissions ARE open to all, by longstanding University decree," the professor chortled, "By the lime-fires, if you tried to start a college whose admissions were only open to a single race you'd be excommunicated and de-accredited the moment it was found out!"

"So this college?..."

"Admittedly has only had human applicants, and admittedly I would have to come to the defence of any orcish applicants to the local nobles who help to fund us, but there is nothing, on paper at least, to stop them from applying. Did you think you'd be training the first ever orcish sage?"

Roderick fought off an embarrassed look, and stared distantly.

"Orthalia may be the most purely orcish nation but by no means the only place orcs are found. The Parabolan University keeps regular statistics on this sort of thing, and though they comprise a minority of applicants and graduates there, those of orcish blood usually comprise somewhere around five percent. The vice-dean of geology was a half-orc when I did my training there." The professor smiled at Roderick's shocked face, "Elves and Humans comprise the vast majority I know, with Goblins and Dwarves most of the rest, but there are orcs in there too, not in every class, but enough."

"Wait, Goblins?"

"Well yes, of course. The current Dean of Alchemy is a pure-blood Goblin, I recall he was a novice when I was finishing my schooling there. Brilliant little man."

Roderick shook his head in disbelief, but gradually smiled.

"There's much more to this world than these two insular regions, Roderick. You will discover this quickly if you hadn't already."

"I... guess I've always known, I suppose my mind just assumed they were more similar to Andralia."

"Only natural I suppose. But, these far off places will become much closer, as ambassadors and even other rulers make their way to you. It is up to you how to receive them."

Roderick nodded, with a more optimistic satisfaction, "Thank you professor."

Beleros nodded with a silent smile.

"I mean it, thank you, for everything you've done for me," Roderick said with a heavier sincerity.

"Pfft. I've done less than you think. Mostly keeping my mouth shut, and occasionally giving advice that you've barely followed, if at all."

"I've heard of what happened in the council hall."

"Rumours. Likely wildly exaggerated," Beleros said, looking away to clean some books off his desk. "A professional Sage of my standing would certainly not be reckless enough to explode an entire vial of Nubilous Crimson indoors, let alone make political demands or threats, empty or otherwise, while partaking in undue governmental influence. Any reports of such would of course be vehemently denied, by myself or any other Sage or apprentice that may have been present."

Roderick narrowed his eyes with a smirk, "What DID you do then?"

"I simply spoke up and gathered the attention of the hall, to re-organize the meeting, and settle their tempers with an entirely appropriate musical interlude. I acted only to ensure those for whom I had given my counsel of expertise got their chance to put their ideas forward," the Sage said, eyeing him with a raised eyebrow and perhaps the slightest hint of a smirk.

"Well," Roderick returned the smirk more openly, "Thank you, nonetheless."

There was a comfortable silence, then the Sage asked, "So you will be leaving in the morning?"

"Yes," Roderick confirmed, wondering if he could sniff the same regret on the kind professor's face that he felt emanating from himself. "Will you perhaps come to visit?"

Beleros sighed, "I am less and less built for cross country travel as my years wear on."

"Even at the summons of a king?" Roderick chuckled.

The Professor drooped his grey eyebrows in an exasperated glare.

Roderick softened his face, "Then how about the invitation of a friend, to his wedding, when it happens?"

Roderick watched the eyebrows furrow up and he received a smile of appreciative pride that he would cherish forever.

"Yes. Perhaps I could make it, for that."

...

"Put your top hat back on Nardill! It looks marvellous!" Korboq slapped his sword-brother on the back.

"I don't want to. And these pants are too tight." Nardill grumbled, as he looked around the ballroom self-consciously.

"Please, Dabirra worked so quickly to gather and size this outfit for you. It means much that you were willing to wear it alongside me. She told me you don't look as handsome as I do in them, granted, but you can at least try. You might never get the chance to dress like this again."

"I pray to the snow goddess that this is so." Nardill said, standing wide and stiff as if bracing for a blow and placing the purple hat on his head. "I am glad at least that my life-mate is miles away back in Glenhold."

Darganya sauntered up and flicked him in the ass, "On the contrary I have half a mind to tell her about it, and I suspect she might insist on commissioning another pair of those pants from Dabirra."

"You will not!"

Darganya chuckled, "What? Aren't you two looking for something to take you past that last threshold into your Rutt? I think it might do it."

"High Chieftain..."

"No, it's Ambassador now," Darganya corrected. "And, don't you worry, Nardill, I won't be heading back with you this time, perhaps not for some time."

"You really have decided to stay?" Korboq confirmed in amazement. "I would have thought this place unsuitable for someone as wild as you."

"You forget her penchant for being audacious and unpredictable," Nardill said, "and this move certainly will satisfy that."

Darganya nodded and looked across the room, "Yes, I think I'll be able to adapt, and find it satisfying enough," she muttered, her eyes finding Valessa across the large room on the edge of a group of nobles, in a low cut blue and black dress, who was already looking at her, and they shared a secret stare.

The man in the foreground of her vision turned around and suddenly it appeared as though Darganya had been looking at him. Her former lover, and the new king, met her gaze with a longer look than seemed natural for either of them, and there was an edge of discomfort, perhaps for different reasons, in each of them. The brief moment was interrupted by Korboq and Nardill turning and proclaiming his name and lifting their drinks. Darganya looked again to Valessa who gifted her a secret smirk and turned away, then back at Roderick, and then back to the backside of the princess' dress in the distance. A brief feeling of regret at what might have been, struck her before she regained herself and joined the others in toasting him.

"Lightbrew, er, King Roderick," Nardill said, "Please explain to Korboq that these hats will NOT be official council attire in Glenhold."

Roderick laughed, "We will have more essential investments to put our money towards than these expensive things, so enjoy them while you can."

Korboq crossed his arms, "Dabirra explained to me, a "dress-code" of a sort would add an... air of professional authority, to the council," he pronounced carefully.

"We are a council," Nardill argued, "All decisions to be made by majority vote!"

Yendell stepped in with a fresh mug, "Careful about that, his new wife can be fairly convincing when she wants to be."

Roderick laughed and clinked his drink with him, "More than an orcish wife?"

Yendell chortled, "Maybe not that much, just with different styles I suppose."

Roderick saw the proud excitement in his friend's eyes and smiled, "Have you decided anything more about your wedding yet? Whether I'm the best man or the officiant?"

Yendell shrugged, "It'd only be fitting for the King to marry us, plus I can't convince Faringoll to stop stressing about the "maid of honour" and that it isn't as high-ranking a title as she thinks it is, so I'm of a mind to simply do away with the wedding-party bit, to keep it simple."

Roderick smiled, "You two should do whatever you want, orcish, human or otherwise. We can make our own traditions now."

"Here here," the group raised their mugs high and drank.

Roderick looked at his friends around him with a proud satisfaction. He looked out at the ballroom, milling with pompous nobles as much as ever, but he felt an almost odd comfort now, more than he'd ever had here. He decided it was because he knew he was leaving in the morning. Because he'd finally resolved that he didn't belong here, and likely never would have.

There was only one place he belonged, and it was not exactly Rampartia. It was the same place he had discovered all those years ago, as a young man whose internal dissonance had made him think he would never belong anywhere. That fateful day, and ever since then, deep down, he had felt that he did belong, in Gorlana's arms. Both then, and now, and into the future, he would feel at home wherever she was.

He saw her beautiful green smile as she drifted through the crowd towards him. Her confident desire to be with him emanated from her voluptuous body as she strolled towards him, much the same as when she had asked to dance with him on that amazing night more than a week ago. His orc-maiden had him in her sights and it sent tingles through his body much as it had before, only now he could enjoy her attentions openly, without hesitation. Purple cloth and black leather covered her fertile curvaceous body with a single-strapped close-fitting dress. Still, somehow, the perfection of her scent put her jaw-dropping appearance to shame.

As she reached him, she lifted her wide bosom in a deep breath and looked at him with a helpless desire that mirrored his own as she drank in the sight and scent of him. She paused for a long moment before turning to the others wrapped up in another discussion of their new home-country.

"I am here to save my King from his squabbling council, I suspect not for the last time," she said with a smile.

"We need him," Nardill replied, gesturing to Korboq, "To keep this upstart fool from making a farce of our council, let alone the entire settlement of Glenhold."

Gorlana laughed, then bit her dark lush lip with her sharp tooth and made a deep green dimple, "I need him more."

Roderick took her hand and let her lead him away to hoots and laughter from the others. Their arms slid affectionately around each other as she led him on to the dance floor. They melted into each others arms, and though Roderick still suffered a limp from his damaged foot, they held each other with equal support and strength.

"Have you grown fond of Andralian dances now?" he asked with an amused smile.

She gave a coy smile back, "It's enjoyable enough, with the right partner."

"It's nowhere near as ostentatious as here, but there's still the occasional ball held in Fortspring."

Gorlana shrugged, "I still prefer a clan-hall celebration, but perhaps now and then, especially if we're entertaining foreign diplomats and ambassadors."

Roderick sighed, thinking of those politics beyond their pact, and all he had yet to learn, "Do you feel ready for all this?"

She leaned forward and rested her forehead on his as they danced slowly, "I don't know how anyone could be... but in your arms I feel more sure of myself than I ever thought possible."

"Sometimes I still wish we had set off together. Either from your camp in Orthalia, or through the side-gates of this city. Found a place somewhere uninhabited..."

Gorlana held him closer, "A forested mountainside, to build a cabin and homestead, with plenty of forage, and game."

He exhaled and leaned into her, basking in the fantasy she shared with him, then after a comfortable silence, suggested, "We still could, I suppose."

Gorlana gave a slow chuckle and shook her head with a frown, "We're in too deep now my love, we can't leave Rampartia without its monarchs."

Roderick laughed, "No I don't mean run away, of course. I mean... Many kings or nobles still keep country homes, or getaways. Why can't we? We could find a remote cabin somewhere to escape to every now and then, when our duties allow it."

Her purple eyes twinkled and her smile grew, "Perhaps... I could think of a place."

"Where?" he whispered with excitement.

"If your memories of it aren't' too painful, I can picture the perfect place in the Roancliff canyon."

Roderick twisted his face in interest, "That would be isolated for sure. Hard to move supplies into, though."

"We could manage," she said, "All the better to keep to ourselves. I remember walking along that bridge with you, looking at this clearing across the valley. I kept gazing at it as we continued on that path, imagining a small log home there with you, instead of continuing on to Andrapolis or back to Orthanhall."

Roderick's heart swelled and he kissed her, "Let's make it happen then. By order of the queen."

She giggled and squeezed him tightly lifting him briefly off his feet. "We'll build it ourselves though."

Roderick smirked doubtfully, "How much free time do you expect to have?"

She swatted him and rolled her eyes, "Fine, a bit of help, but I don't want too many people knowing exactly where it is."

"That's fair," he shrugged and smiled, "I suspect someone trustworthy may have to drag me back to civilization if I get too used to being alone with you."

Gorlana giggled, "A round style lodge by the way. With a central pole."

Roderick scrunched his face, "It's not the easiest to build or even the most stable."

She stared at him, "With a large, sturdy central pole."

"Even so, that will help, but it's more about the-..."

"That a set of manacles can fasten to," she said, delving into him with her violet eyes and her mouth slowly curving into a mischievous smile.

Roderick dug his fingers into her strong green flesh as he finally understood her, and nodded, "Great design. Absolutely wonderful style of home," then laughed with her, holding her closer as her heavy breasts bounced between them and her claws massaged his muscled shoulder. He felt her nipples through the dress and found his own lust rising at the thought. "Will we have a canopy over our bed from now on as well?" he asked.

She gave a sultry chuckle and nodded, "A sturdier one than here."

They leaned against each other again and swayed to the music. A few nobles and warriors danced by them with words of congratulations and honour. Most seemed purely genuine, some less so, others dutifully ignored them. He could not blame them for being unsure and off-put by the sudden changes, he supposed.

He spared a glance across the room at his former fiance. Valessa had welcomed them and said a few polite words but had mostly ignored them as well. He could certainly not blame her either. He was grateful in the end for all that she was. He supposed if she was any less intolerant of his orcish blood she might not have accepted all of this as well as she had. Likewise with her rigid dedication to her throne and country more than any person or relationship. He remembered her saying she always loved a good compromise, and this, with no one side being purely in perfect standing, certainly seemed in line with that. Rampartia might be a mess at first, he knew, and would likely struggle to find its feet, with little leverage in trade and commerce, but he would rise to the challenge with far more vigour than he would have for any other place in the realm he may have found himself.