Roderick's Tale

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Tomorrow, after we break our fast, we will take a ride. I plan on showing you the extent of the estate and the various tenant farms. We should be back in time for the morning post if all goes as planned. After reviewing the post, we'll determine the rest of the day from there."

Ephram made a move, but I think my speech distracted him. I would now take his king in two moves.

"Do you do this every morning? Ride through the estate?"

I shook my head before taking a puff on my pipe, only to find it had gone out. I set my pipe down for later. "No. Not every day, but often. I've found that I cannot rely on others to tell me what is needed on the estate. Instead, I have to go out and determine the information myself. The only way to do that is to talk to the people. Everyone on the estate knows their job and does it well. It's a good group. But, they don't want to think that they are ineffectual at their job. Most of the time, nothing is needed. It's simply a pleasant ride through the country. The few times something is needed, I arrange for it, or sometimes I get my hands dirty and provide the help myself."

Ephram looked at me with a bewildered look on his face. "You have helped the farmers? Isn't that below your station?"

I nodded my head. "Some might say so. The priest at the boarding school I attended explained to me once that we are all equal under God, and we each can go to heaven or hell based on our actions. That made me think. Whether I am a Peer, one of the Gentry, or an unlanded commoner, we are all the same. If the work is not below a farmer, and we are the same, why should the work be below me?"

Ephram's brow creased further as he listened to my words.

I laughed. "Worry not about it now. We will speak more on this later--"

Someone cleared their throat before a fair voice said, "Worrying about it later is a wise choice." We turned to look and saw Mother standing there. Ephram and I both stood. "It has been a long day, and Ephram, you have travelled far. We should all retire. Tomorrow will be another long day."

Ephram and I both nodded. "Of course, you are correct, Mother."

She gave us a smile. "Sleep well, Roderick, Ephram."

"You as well, Aunt Celeste."

"Goodnight, Mother."

She turned and left.

I turned my gaze upon Ephram again. "Mother is right. We should be to bed, but first--" I made my move in our game. "Checkmate."

Ephram studied the board. "How-- how did you--"

I laughed. "Tomorrow, dear Cousin. Tomorrow."

With those words, we departed to our bedchambers for the night.

***

I awoke with the sun, as was my usual. I knew that many of my urbane counterparts typically didn't rise this early due to their balls and functions lasting long into the night, but here in the country, we kept country hours.

After using the water closet, I performed my morning ablutions and dressed in my riding attire before stopping by Ephram's room. I knocked on the door and let myself in.

I smiled and shook my head to see that he was still dead asleep. Striding purposefully to the window, I threw back the heavy drapes keeping out the sunlight. "Wake up, Cousin! We have things to do."

Ephram started, sitting upright in his bed. "Wha--"

I laughed at his response. "I'll wait for you in the dining room," I informed him before leaving his room, closing the door behind me.

I walked down the stairs with a bounce in my step, and I found I was not the first to make it to the dining room.

"Good morning to you ladies!"

Mother, Faith, and Agnes were all sitting at the table eating. Rather than having a formal meal to break our fast, it has been a tradition for the cook to prepare various foods and set them on the sideboard, where we each pick what we want and eat at our leisure.

The women all greeted me.

"Good morning, Son. You certainly seem to be in a favourable mood today," Mother said after the younger generation spoke.

I smiled over at them as I selected my food. "I had the distinct pleasure to rudely awaken Ephram this morning, and I think his first real lesson is going to be adjusting to the country schedule."

A moment after I sat and began to eat, Edith joined us. Upon entering the room, I stood, and we all greeted her.

"Edith, would you like me to get you a plate?" I asked.

She smiled over at me. "Thank you, no. Please sit, and enjoy your meal. I can get my own."

In truth, her response pleased me. I asked out of politeness, but truthfully, I was hungry and wanted to eat.

A tired, though properly groomed Ephram joined us a few minutes later. Upon seeing how tired he looked, Faith and Agnes laughed, and Mother even smiled.

We all enjoyed breaking our fast together. Even if it wasn't a formal meal, it always felt good to spend time together.

Once we all ate our fill, we all departed to our separate tasks for the day. Ephram and I collected our top hats, spurs, and riding crops before striding purposefully to the stable, where the grooms had our mounts ready to go.

"That horse shall be yours for your stay here if you are agreeable, Cousin," I said as I pulled myself into the saddle.

Ephram studied his new mount. "This looks to be a magnificent creature. Thank you."

Once we were both mounted, I put the spur to my horse and set out at a canter. It didn't take long to run the high spirits out of the horses, and we slowed to a steady trot.

I led the way through the estate's parkland, heading for the farthest of the tenant farms. Ephram and I spoke easily on the way, and he explained his early education and how it came to be that our grandfather determined that he should come to study under me.

When I reflect back on it now, Grandfather's decision surprises me still, for Ephram and I are only separated by three years.

When we reached the first farm, the farmer tended to his pigs while his children were out in the field. Stopping a few yards away, I dismounted and walked over to join the farmer by the pigpen, and Ephram mirrored my actions. Together, we spoke for a few minutes before we mounted back up and rode on to the next farm.

"Rodi, why did we dismount? It would have saved the time and effort of mounting again."

I nodded my agreement. Glancing over at Ephram, I replied, "Yes, it would have saved time and made it easier for us; however, people don't like to be spoken down to. As I was explaining yesterday, we are all equal under God. When we treat people as equals, it earns us respect."

Ephram shook his head at my words, and I smiled knowingly. "I know what is taught to everyone, highborn and low. 'Stick to your station.' Don't strive above it or stoop to be below it. This has some merit. For example, I am not going to become a farmer. That is something below my station. However, that does not mean that I am above working my land or lending a hand when needed. In the same token, Horus there is not likely to become the manager of an estate, as you or I. It is above his station and, more importantly, his education. Though, he has helped me record tallies for the farms, which makes my task easier, the same way my lending a hand makes his tasks easier."

I glanced back to Ephram, and he appeared deep in thought. I smiled and let him digest the radical words I'd given him.

We rode from farm to farm, stopping briefly at each to speak to the farmer. We learned that the tenant farmers needed nothing new or extra to ensure the crops come in at this time.

"Cousin, I am astounded by what I have witnessed here," Ephram said as we rode back to the manor. "It's clear the respect and love your people show you. And the health and fitness of your farmers and staff are unparalleled."

I nodded. "Yes. Being respectful gains me respect. As for their health and fitness, as you called it. People work better and are more productive when healthy. I know in the cities, they prefer to save what monies they can, starving the workers because there are always more workers. By feeding and respecting my workers, they are loyal and more productive."

When we returned our horses to the stables, I brushed my mount down, making Ephram do the same. At first, I thought he would protest doing the work himself; after all, why have grooms if you don't use them, but he didn't. Instead, he gladly unsaddled his horse and brushed her down.

We entered the manor through the rear terrace and were met by the housekeeper. "Sir, the morning post has arrived, and it has been placed in your study."

I smiled at her. "Very good. Thank you."

I turned to my cousin. "Go, get changed into attire more appropriate for business, and meet me in the study in thirty minutes."

Ephram nodded, and we both went to get changed.

Once we met up in the study, I pulled out the ledgers for the estate. "While I go through the mail, why don't you study the ledgers. It'll let you get a feel of the things you'll be required to do as well."

He readily agreed, and we set to work. Most of the correspondence did not need immediate attention. There were a few letters from relatives for Mother and one bill that would need to be paid. However, there was one envelope that caught my attention.

I studied the seal before using my dirk to open it. Inside it held an invitation. A wide smile adorned my face upon reading the invitation.

"Come along, Ephram," I said, grabbing the post and striding from the room.

Ephram jogged to catch up to me in the hall as I continued down the corridor. When I reached the room where Mother was sewing with the women, I knocked and entered. All the women looked up from their tasks, giving me their undivided attention.

I held up the invitation before handing it to my mother. "We have received an invitation to a garden party. The Williamsons are hosting a party Saturday evening."

As soon as I finished speaking, the girls all exclaimed their desire to go and immediately began talking to each other about what they should wear to the party.

"Girls! Calm yourselves," Mother exclaimed, drawing their attention. She looked from the girls to Ephram. "The girls have voiced their exuberance over going. Ephram, do you wish to attend as well?"

Ephram nodded emphatically. "Yes, Aunt Celeste. It has been some time since attending a function."

Mother nodded and turned to me. "What of it, Rodi?" she asked with a smile.

I schooled my face. "I don't know, Mother. Ephram and I have much to discuss and go over with my cousins' arrival. This invitation, though welcome, truly comes at an inopportune time." Everyone other than my mother visibly slumped at my words. I paused for a moment before continuing, "However, considering everyone's desire, I could hardly say no."

The girls burst out with smiles, and Agnes dropped her sewing onto the settee beside her, running to me. She again hugged me close.

"Agnes! That is unbecoming of a lady," Mother chastised. "I know your mother has taught you better than that."

Agnes released me and turned to face my mother, head downcast. "Sorry, Aunt Celeste, it shan't happen again."

Mother returned the invitation to me. "Please send our response and thank them."

I nodded my agreement. "These also came for you, Mother," I explained, handing her the remaining post addressed to her.

With the plans for Saturday arranged, we each went back to our tasks. Before leading Ephram through the ledgers, I penned the response to the invitation and had it sent.

Later, though we dressed for and held a more formal evening meal, it was relaxed relative to the welcoming dinner the day before. Mother asked the staff to prepare the food, setting it out on the table before dismissing them for the evening. This action was not unusual in our household, though, on this evening, that choice turned out to be a mistake.

Chapter 2

At Mother's bidding, Agnes and Faith cleared the remnants of the main course of our meal. Before they could set out the next course, there was a knock at the door.

We all shared a look. "Who could that be, unannounced at this hour?" I asked. No one had an answer for me, not that I expected one.

After politely wiping my mouth, I excused myself from the table and went to open the door. When the door was open, I looked out; the step was full of people, and at once, I noticed the three pregnant women and their party from the train station the day before.

I was about to greet them and inquire about their business when the woman in front raised a pistol at me.

Acting on reflex, I tried to slam the door shut, but my actions were ineffectual. One of the mountainous men rushed forward, pushing the door open again. The woman held the pistol steady on me, and as I stared down the barrel, it looked more like a cannon than a pistol; the barrel looked positively huge.

The woman and her party walked in. As she stepped forward, I stepped back, attempting to keep the pistol away from me.

"Wha-- What is the meaning of this?" I asked. I had hoped my voice was strong, but I feared that I failed based on what I heard.

Once the door closed, the woman and one of the mountains remained while the rest roamed the house. A moment later, I could hear the screams of my family from the dining room.

Though keeping her weapon trained on me, the woman before me lowered her hand. "You must be Roderick Livingstone, the son of the honourable Ira Livingstone," the woman stated, and the way she said 'honourable' certainly made me believe that she didn't think it was an appropriate title for my father.

I fearfully nodded that I was.

She smiled. "Since you're here, I am going to tell you-- If you comply with our demands, no one need get hurt. However, we will not hesitate to hurt, maim, or even kill if it is necessary to get our goals completed."

From the look in this woman's eyes, I knew she wasn't joking. Her eyes simply made me shudder with fear. Though I have had extensive and expensive education, I do not possess the vocabulary necessary to describe the-- the evil and malice her eyes held.

The woman and mountain herded me back to the dining room with the others with a motion from the pistol. Other than the fearful looks on everyone's faces, the scene almost looked like an ordinary evening with guests. The people I had deemed servants at the train station were situated around the room, and the pregnant women were seated at the table with my family.

"Please, Roderick, resume your seat," the woman said as she was aided into the seat at the foot.

Not knowing what else to do, I followed the woman's orders.

Once we were seated, she smiled and took in everyone's expressions. "Though this situation is certainly a hostile one, there is no reason we cannot be civilized. As I told Roderick in the hall, there is no need for anyone to get hurt. We are here with an agenda, and once that is complete, we will leave and never return. Simply do as we ask, and that will be the end of it. However, if you don't do as asked-- well, let's just say it won't be pleasant."

She looked at my family members to ensure that we understood what she told us. Finally, she said, "Please, let us eat. There is no point in letting this food go to waste."

She and the other two pregnant women filled their plates and ate. I don't think any of my family ate anything further. I believe we were all too scared to do much of anything. Mother, however, did drink her wine, followed by a second glass.

"This is truly quite good," one of the younger women said. "Please convey our compliments to your cook. She is quite accomplished." The other two women expressed their agreeance with the statement.

Though this was an unusual and hostile situation, hearing these people praise our staff made me proud.

When they finished eating, the woman ordered her staff to clear the table.

"Now then," the woman said, looking again at each of my family, "we were not accounting on there being visitors when we first made this plan. I know Lady Celeste, Roderick, and Faith." She turned her gaze on my cousins. "I can see a resemblance; it's in the cheeks and eyes. Given your ages, I'm going to guess cousins. Am I correct?"

I took a deep breath. Though these people barged into my home and threatened my family and me, they were being civil, and I did not see a reason to change that now. "Yes. Though I do not know your names, please allow me to introduce Ephram, Edith, and Agnes Davies. My cousins, who have been sent here to foster."

The woman nodded and smiled. "Ah yes, the Davies. I recognize you now."

"Madam, may we know your names?" I asked.

She smiled at me and gave me a knowing look. "I appreciate you trying to stick to proper etiquette. Unfortunately, we will be withholding our names." The woman looked around the table, her eyes falling on Agnes. "Actually, you may know one name. Agnes, perhaps you could take Andromeda here and show her to your room. We will be speaking business, and what we will be discussing should not be discussed in front of children. She could perhaps help you get ready for bed."

Agnes' eyes went wide with fright, and Ephram and I both stood up.

As soon as my cousin and I stood, pistols were trained on us, and the mountainous men stepped toward us.

I shot a look at Ephram, and ordered, "Sit, Cousin."

He looked at me uncertainly but followed my orders.

I turned my attention to the woman running things and raised my eyebrow in question.

She smirked and gave her people a signal, and they lowered their weapons and returned to their relaxed state.

I walked slowly around the table until I was beside Agnes' chair. "I have your word, madam, that no harm will become Agnes?"

The woman nodded. "Yes. Agnes is innocent in all of this, and I swear it on my unborn child's life that no harm will come to Agnes."

Though this woman exuded evil and malice, I also believed her. My instinct told me that she was a woman of her word. I nodded and leaned down to Agnes. "Please bring Andromeda to your room, and get ready for bed. As soon as one of us is able, we will come up and see you."

Tears were filling my cousin's eyes, but she nodded her agreement. I pulled out her chair and then the chair of Andromeda. Agnes gave me a hug.

"Come, child. I shall brush your hair for you," the pregnant Andromeda said, with her hand extended.

I patted Agnes' shoulder and encouraged her to go.

A moment after returning to my seat, the woman in charge gave me a kind smile. "Thank you, Roderick, for that." She drank down the last of her wine. "Now to business--"

"Why are you here!" Mother interrupted.

The woman smiled, and it showed all the vileness her eyes had and more. Upon seeing her smile, a chill settled through me.

"We are here, Lady Celeste, because of your husband."

Mother sat back in her chair as though she were slapped. "My-- my husband?" Mother asked quietly.

She nodded, still smiling her evil smile. "Yes, your husband. You see, your husband wooed all the women in my family. And like the treasonous snake he is, he did it simultaneously. He made sure that my daughters and I didn't know about his involvement with any of us. He impregnated all of us and left us to our shame without another thought."

"And what does that have to do with us?" I asked.

"In an unto itself, nothing. Your father's punishment, however, has everything to do with you." She paused.

Faith was the one to take the bait. "How could we have anything to do with Father's punishment?"

The woman smiled and glanced at her daughter, who returned her grin.

"Dear Faith, we know that your father doesn't really care for any of you. Other than the fact Roderick carries the family name. He lives his life in the capital, and you live your lives here. The only thing he cares about, as far as any of you are concerned, is the familial connections and influence and standing you grant him."