Romancing the Sale

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Proceed, Bill," Rick says.

"To date, most of the companies that declined the software, did so because they cannot afford the up front lump sum cost, but wished they were able to. That brings me to the solution as a question. Is it possible to offer future clients a payment plan instead of the large up front cost? I believe it's worth giving it a try, especially for small start up companies. It may be best if we ask them what they can afford on a monthly basis and draw up a contract based on that. If we dictate the contract, we may lose them as a client. Is any of this possible?"

Rick informs him, "I will bring it to the BOD and hopefully convince them to give it a try. At this point, I think it's a good idea. It can only increase our sales, give us more happy customers and hopefully, they will make the payments."

"If we include the ability to disable the software, we can control it in those cases, Mr Johnson. But we also need to empathize with the needs of the customer and help them with the payment problem until they get on firmer ground and become more successful. That can only help us get them on our good side."

"Sounds great to me, Bill, but money keeps our business in business. Let me talk to some people about this in advance of the BOD and maybe it can happen, but no promises, yet," Rick says as his mind wanders to that problem.

Jack decides to change the subject and ask Dani a question or two.

"So you found the error in the software when Bill gave you the test?" Jack asks.

"Yes. It wasn't a problem until the data entry screen was filled and it changed to another screen to continue the entry process. My guess is most people don't fill the first screen and close it so the problem doesn't show itself. His test gave me more than one screen worth of data to enter and that's when the problem presented itself."

"Nice work," Jack responds. "So, what is your opinion of the manual, now that you've read it?"

"It's by far confusing because the layout skips steps and leaves the user wondering how to finish the task. It's also hard to rest it next to you and read it as you work on a computer because of its size and weight. In an office environment, there is little room to make that happen comfortably."

"Do you have any suggestions as to how to resolve any of the issues?" Jack asks.

"Several, Mr Wakely, but at this time, none of them are realistic. So, Bill and I decided to work on that in our spare time, but we have a lot of research to do before we can even come close to offering any suggestions. To date, we have analyzed the problem and we are determined to change the focus of the manual from the software, to the user. That option gives us several ideas to improve it, but none of it has been researched so they remain just ideas for now."

"Interesting," Jack says, extremely interested. "How long do you believe it will take you to complete that project?"

"We are not able to guess right now, Mr Wakely," Dani continues. "Because the sales work we do is important to Bill's pocketbook, which is why the manual is a spare time project. There is so much research and development work that needs to be done and I expect it will turn into a very time consuming project. The flow charts alone will be a very time consuming adventure."

"But," she continues, "as long as we are talking about the manual, we also have several improvements we would like to suggest for inclusion in the software and we would be inclined to incorporate them into the manual at the same time to save both time and money. A project like this will likely change the whole user interface for the better."

"Then we will need an evaluation phase with actual clients before it can be released. We will also need the cooperation of the company, meaning providing us with additional expertise we don't have, if you are leaning toward us to complete this project and I'm sure our customers will evaluate the new software for us. Our bottom line is, this is a project we would love to tackle!" Dani says, excitedly.

"What software changes do you have in mind?" Jack asks.

Dani explains, "Over the last four months, Bill and I have been writing down improvements as they hit us no matter where we were at the time and these are just a few we've come up with so far," she says, reaching into her small briefcase. "We keep adding to the list as each idea comes to mind."

Dani removes twenty-one pages outlining several ideas, in both their handwriting, written out in plain English. As Jack and Rick read them, their faces light up. Using pop up menus will save them some frustration and not force them to the manual while they learn how to use the software, another Bill already mentioned and several other ideas were also on the list. Jack and Rick look at each other and grin. Then Jack speaks.

"How long would it take if you two worked on the overhaul of the manual and software full time?" Jack asks with a little excitement in his voice.

"Not sure at this point because we keep adding to the list, but if we have to guess," she says, looking at Bill, "it will take at least five, possibly six months if we work on that and nothing else. Obviously, that's not possible and to make things worse, it will adversely affect Bill's income."

Jack asks, looking at Rick, "Is it okay with you if we think out loud?"

"Sure Jack, let's see what comes up."

"I'm thinking the software is not the biggest problem we face, but the manual has been a thorn in our butt ever since it came out. All the salesman are complaining about it. Also, we can't afford to let these new ideas we just read fall into the crack. They are great ideas! We need this problem fixed right and I don't know anybody more capable and willing to tackle a job of this magnitude than this team."

Jack continues, saying, "Basing the manual on users is a thought provoking concept and the suggestions they just presented to us will, I believe, vault this software to the top of available business software. We need to include their ideas and we need to be the first on the market with it," Jack concludes as Rick nods his head in agreement before he finishes talking.

"Exactly what I was thinking, Jack. Good evaluation. What do you suggest we do about it?"

"I suggest we pull them off sales long enough for them to complete the project, however long it takes, then return them back to sales," Jack says.

"Sure. We would have to compensate their salary, maybe as a bonus every month." Rick adds.

Jack looks at Bill and Dani and says, "Does that work for you guys?"

"As long as we all understand we still have customers to support and we cannot stop doing that," Bill replies. "I can stop new sales for a while and I'm okay with that as long as we are compensated," he says, making that perfectly clear. "Also, keep in mind that we must respond to referrals from existing clients. The company will take a hit if we don't... One more thing. Neither Dani or I have done any programming and most likely presented a poor estimation for the amount of time it takes to make software changes and assemble this project, so our time estimate is most likely inaccurate."

"Good," Rick says. "We do understand the need to continue the support and the referrals, and also about the time estimation. We can finalize the details later because I need to get some approvals before we do this, so for now, it's business as usual."

Because of the praise Bill has expressed for Dani's work and the realization that Dani is a very smart individual, Rick looks at her with an inquisitive expression. He understands Dani's expertise and now wants her working for the company.

"Dani, I want to offer you a job in company sales. You will do exactly what Bill does and you will be on salary, plus expenses and commission, just like Bill. Atlanta is a huge market so there is plenty of room for both of you."

Jack is visibly surprised, but then smiles in agreement. Dani beams at the offer, looks at Bill and he's is happy for her. Then the smile leaves her face and turns business like.

"It's a really great offer and I really appreciate it, but I'm sorry, Mr Johnson, I can't accept it."

Surprised, Rick says, "I wasn't expecting that response. Would you tell me why?"

Dani collects her thoughts for a few moments, then says, "There are a couple of reasons. First and foremost, as I have explained, I owe Bill everything so I want him to be successful, and until I pay him back for his kindness, I work only for him."

"Dani..." Bill says.

Dani reaches for Bill's hand without looking at him and holds on to it as she continues.

"That's the most important reason," she interrupts. "Second, I feel it would not be a good idea to make me a salesman because that's not my expertise. I have no training or experience in sales, nor do I have a desire to go down that road. My expertise is support. That is what I love doing. That is what I want to do and I'm damn good at it, if you don't mind me saying so."

Jack, Rick and Bill have a grin on their faces, then Rick explains.

"I understand, Dani, so I need to think about this," he says as he returns to his business face.

Rick appreciates her answer, but understanding her intelligence and the excellent job she is doing for Bill, he wants her working for the company now more than ever, before she gets away and takes a job elsewhere. Now he has to come up with another plan to get her on board.

Then, Jack changes the subject.

"Dani, we sent out a product update with your ten suggestions and twelve more additions. Did you read about the twelve and do you think our customers will like them?"

Dani looks at Bill and he nods his encouragement.

She says, "Two might be used, but the other ten are junk."

Jack, sipping his coffee, spews some back into his cup and starts coughing, then says, "I like people who don't beat around the bush and get straight to the point."

Bill quickly jokes, "Dani, tell us what you really think. Don't hold back just because the big guns are here."

She blushes and smiles, but Rick says, "Bill, I want to know what Dani thinks. It's kind of refreshing, in a perverse way, to hear someone tell me that three months of development work has been wasted."

Dani says, "I'm sorry, Mr Johnson. I should've told you I am a direct person. I call it as I see it, but I'm not guessing. I went to ten of our clients and asked them about the twelve additions. They are the ones who refer to them as junk and would never use them. That is, except for the two maybes and for those, they said they might help, but were non-committal about using them."

"If you went into the field with me for a couple days, we can visit four clients and they will tell you what changes they really want. We spent time listening to actual users of the software and it resulted in the ten suggestions."

Rick quits talking and the table is silent as they sip their coffee. Dani gives Bill a worried look that tells him she feels she might have said too much, or worse, insulted the boss. Bill winks at her and she relaxes a bit, but is still worried. Rick and Jack are quiet as they contemplate what has been said.

After a few moments, Rick says, "Let's order dinner. I want to mull this over for a while longer. What do you all think?"

Everyone agrees so Bill summons the waitress, who takes the orders and disappears. Bill relaxes a bit and thinks the heavy part of the business dinner is over. Dani is hoping they sold them on everything they told them, but will not likely know for some time in the future.

Jack and Bill begin telling their funny war stories about the goofy things that happened to them as a salesman, each story funnier than the previous. When dinner comes to them, they waste no time devouring the delicious meal. The food is great and the wine mellows them out, then it's back to coffee.

Chapter 24 A New Job

After they finish dinner, Jack picks up the check and as they are waiting for the waitress to process his credit card, Rick looks at Bill, then at Dani.

"I have made a decision..." Rick announces. "I'm sorry, Dani, but I can't allow anybody who is representing our company and products to work without compensation. As good as you are at your job, it is not fair to you to work for nothing. I insist that you be compensated. But, before you turn me down again," he says with a smile, "hear me out...please."

She nods and smiles in appreciation.

"When did you start working for Bill?" Rick asks.

"At tomorrow's end, it will be eighteen weeks of service, but I'm really not counting," Dani answers with a smile.

Both Jack and Rick also smile, but Bill chuckles.

"See what I have to put up with on a daily basis?" Bill asks.

They laugh before getting back to business.

"Bill, what level of support would you consider Dani is providing your clients?"

"The service she provides is exemplary to the point where I never have to return to the customer once I complete the sale," he replies. "She takes complete care of our clients."

"To top that, since she began working with me, none of our sales has dropped off the books. I have never received a single complaint from any of our clients about her support, her product knowledge, her computer skills or her ability to understand the problem the user faces, or any problem relating to her performance. She makes them a happy client and completely relieves me of that part of the job. Not to mention, she's always where she's says she's going to be."

"I expect, when she has a problem that is over her head, to ask me questions before resolving them, but she's been able to handle all the problems she faced without my input. I don't believe there is a support person that can top her performance. I am indeed lucky to have bumped into her and even luckier to have her working with me."

Dani has a little wetness in her eyes. They all see it, but nobody wants to embarrass her so nobody says anything.

"That's impressive, Dani. If you don't mind me asking, where do you live?" Jack asks.

She looks at Bill and he nods.

"I live with Bill in his apartment."

"And you never talked to him about any problems you faced in the field?" Rick asks.

"So far, I've never needed to, Mr Johnson. I understand the manual, but that doesn't help the user even when I show them how it's laid out. It's laid out rather well for a professional software engineer, but the end user rarely has that level of expertise. The manual often uses software terminology that should not be there because it only confuses a novice user. That is why we want to change the focus of the manual to the user and write it in a language they are more readily familiar with," Dani explains.

Rick bows his head a does some serious thinking. He understands how important a good assistant is, then looks up.

"Very well put, both of you. I sit here wondering why the manual was written the way it was and based on what Bill has said today, I do understand having good help is a great asset and I agree with you, both of you."

Rick continues, "Dani has picked up the ball from the sale and run with it with little or no supervision. People like that are an invaluable tool to a great salesman, which Bill is. I see the light... You and Dani have given Jack and I an education here today. For so long we, as a company, have used the standard way of doing things. Now, it's time to make a new path for the Sales Department using new, innovative thought processes and trash the old way of thinking. I'm convinced that a support specialist should be assigned to every salesman. Now, my job is to take this concept to the BOD, explain it to them and get their authorization to proceed."

"Mr Johnson, I would like to raise a point of contention."

"Proceed, Bill."

"You mentioned assigning people... I submit to you that the salesman should be the leader of the sales team by default. In my scenario, it's my territory and my responsibility. The salesman, therefore, should be allowed to select the team he wants to work with. If you assign people, the salesman will feel limited in his abilities if the assigned support specialist doesn't get along with him or lacks expertise in the field and if that happens, he's now in despair about his future because it is up the company to get rid of a bad support person, not the salesman."

"That's the best way to kill a good salesman's potential. Every team must have a leader with full control of the people he hires. Not a boss, but a leader. I have taken that role with Dani and she understands why, and agrees."

"Bill, you are full of surprises. Your concept has intrigued me. There is no doubt I will be talking more about the team concept with you before long. If we are going to do this, I want it done right and you and Dani are really focused on it," Rick says.

"Thank you, Mr Johnson. We appreciate that."

"Management wheels turn slowly in this company, like all companies, but we will be back here to talk with you further about what you and Dani want to do with the software and the manual... and, I want to discuss your team concept more. I would like it to be in an informal environment. I will be wearing shorts and a polo shirt and I want you to feel relaxed as well. It will be four people talking about problems and solutions so we will be equals for that time. Therefore, I'm wondering if you know of a place here in town where we can have a relaxed atmosphere and some privacy."

"The only place I feel that way is in our apartment," Bill replies.

"Are you okay with that?" Jack asks.

Dani looks at Bill and he looks at her. They both are very excited at the unexpected news from Rick.

"If that's what you want, we want to accommodate it," Dani replies.

"Great. Jack and I will furnish all refreshments and snacks, and we will go out for lunch and dinner on Jack's tab. I expect it will be long days not because it needs to be done as quickly as possible, but because once you get started, I don't believe you will want to stop so we have to play that by ear," Rick says. "And I won't mention another problem yet."

"Then we will plan for that, Mr Johnson."

"Okay. When we do this, my name is Rick and Jack will speak for himself," he says and they laugh. "Thank you, both of you. We will return two weeks from today and I would like both of you to clear your schedules for two days. Does that give you enough time and not overload either of you or interfere with your work?"

"We can make that happen, Mr Johnson, not a problem," Bill replies.

"Dani, here's how I would like to handle this, if you agree... I would like you to join the company on straight salary plus expenses and your job will be exactly what it is now, working exclusively for Bill as part of his sales team. It will likely be a contract position because we currently don't have a job called a Direct Sales Support Specialist. Is that agreeable to you?"

Her face lights up, looks at Bill and he nods his encouragement.

"Yes, I'd like that! No, I'd love that!" Dani exclaims.

"Just out of curiosity, why do you need Bill's approval?"

"Because the team leader has to approve me working with him so it's up to him to make that decision."

"Damn... I should have realized that from what you both have said. The salesman is the leader. I get it... For me, once I heard you talk with limitless confidence, my desire was to get you employed by our company instead of any competitor, which is why I offered the sales job to you. Now, I rather you work with Bill because you two make one hell of a team. When you call HR Monday afternoon, they will be ready to talk to you and get you set up. Your official hire date is going to be eighteen weeks ago, so your first check is going to be a big one."

Dani smiles, "That's fantastic. How can..."

Rick smiles, then interrupts, looking at Bill.